Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Finding a lottery ticket

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 7 years ago by joker17.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Canandaigua, NY
United States
Member #82302
November 10, 2009
24 Posts
Posted: December 7, 2009, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

This is just hypothetical.  Say you find a lottery ticket on ground.  It was for that nights drawing and the next day you look at the numbers and you won.  What are your rights to that ticket(if nobody signed the ticket).  Is that ticket yours or do you have to return.  What are the rules and what would you do with the ticket ( not the right thing but what would you do personally).

Chicago, IL
    United States
    Member #80641
    October 1, 2009
    11 Posts
    Posted: December 7, 2009, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

Its yours. Lottery tickets are bearers instruments. If there is no name, you can claim.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10345 Posts
      Posted: December 7, 2009, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

London,

That's true, tickets are bearer indtruments, but there have been discussion here on LP kind of related to something like this. Especially the ones about clerks telling people they had losing tickets and the clerks tried to cash them, where it has come out that the lottery asks jackpt winners some questions and often they were on surveillance films.

So on the scenario gobills presented in the OP, a couple of things could happen. A lot would depend on the person who bought the ticket coming forward or not. They may be the type who records their numbers, or they may be unaware there was a drawing.

I would think all that considered, honestly would be the best policy. Turn it into the lottery, (assuming honeslt lottery officials) tell them you found it, and maybe they would tell you if no one else claimed it in a certain number of days it was yours. Otherwise, if they have it on surveillance, and you don't say you found it, you could be charged with fraud.

This could turn into an interesting discussion, let's see what happens.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: December 8, 2009, 12:10 am - IP Logged

Its yours. Lottery tickets are bearers instruments. If there is no name, you can claim.

That's not necessarily true. There was a news story posted here in July, where someone found a lottery ticket that turned out to be a winner and the couple who found the ticket were charged with fraud.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Chicago, IL
          United States
          Member #80641
          October 1, 2009
          11 Posts
          Posted: December 8, 2009, 12:30 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I think its complete fradulent for a lottery retailer, to check someones tickets, find out they won and then tell them they lost and cash it for themsleves. Now thats just wrong on every moral level. But, if I am walkng down the street and saw a ticket, checked it and found out I won according to the writing thats on the back of every lottery ticket it would be mine if there was no name. When I was about 9 years old I was walking with my mom and picked up a scracth off, (that was already scratched) off the ground. It was a $50 winner someone overlooked it. Think we took it to the lottery office, uh no........lol. But yeah I know with ball lottery tickets it might can ge t a little iffy, but thats the impression I get when I read the back of lottery tickets, they make it a point that people should sign all their tickets and that they are bearer instruments.

Canandaigua, NY
            United States
            Member #82302
            November 10, 2009
            24 Posts
            Posted: December 8, 2009, 12:52 am - IP Logged

I bet the chances of this happening are so slim like 1 in a Billion.  But how could somebody go to lottery office and say I lost a lottery ticket and have get that ticket back.  I would think the state would keep the money but that is just me.

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
              Park City, UT
              United States
              Member #69864
              January 18, 2009
              993 Posts
              Posted: December 8, 2009, 1:12 am - IP Logged

Well of course I don't know the laws but I would think you would only be committing fraud if you signed something at the time that you claimed the ticket that said you purchased the ticket.  It would all depend on the wording of claim form that I was signing on whether I was committing fraud or not.  The PB tickets I buy have date/time store number, and I'm sure this information get stored in lottery database so in most cases if the store where ticket was purchased keeps an archive of surveillance tapes then lottery commission should be able to match ticket to rightful owner as long as they make a claim for it in a timely manner.

Jimmy

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5114 Posts
                Posted: December 8, 2009, 2:39 am - IP Logged

This is just hypothetical.  Say you find a lottery ticket on ground.  It was for that nights drawing and the next day you look at the numbers and you won.  What are your rights to that ticket(if nobody signed the ticket).  Is that ticket yours or do you have to return.  What are the rules and what would you do with the ticket ( not the right thing but what would you do personally).

YOU>>>MUST>>>GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2222222222222COLLEGE on DIS>>>>>>WON!!!!!!!!!!!

take business LAW and study "HARD">>>>>>>>>>22222222222222graturrattwait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psyko

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: December 8, 2009, 3:26 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I think its complete fradulent for a lottery retailer, to check someones tickets, find out they won and then tell them they lost and cash it for themsleves. Now thats just wrong on every moral level. But, if I am walkng down the street and saw a ticket, checked it and found out I won according to the writing thats on the back of every lottery ticket it would be mine if there was no name. When I was about 9 years old I was walking with my mom and picked up a scracth off, (that was already scratched) off the ground. It was a $50 winner someone overlooked it. Think we took it to the lottery office, uh no........lol. But yeah I know with ball lottery tickets it might can ge t a little iffy, but thats the impression I get when I read the back of lottery tickets, they make it a point that people should sign all their tickets and that they are bearer instruments.

You've misunderstood the meaning of the stuff that's written on the back of the ticket because you don't understand what a bearer instrument is. Lottery tickets are personal property, just like many other things for which ownership isn't registered (ever hear of cash?), and the owner doesn't lose their ownership interest simply because they lose or misplace the property they own.

"I would think you would only be committing fraud if you signedsomething at the time that you claimed the ticket that said youpurchased the ticket."

That's may be  true, but if you claim a big prize you'll need to fill out and sign a claim form. By signing the form you'll be swearing an oath that you're the rightful owner of the ticket. That means you'll be committing perjury as well as fraud. Since the law requires you to make a reasonable effort to find the rightful owner of found property it's possible that you could be charged with fraud even for claiming a small prize at the local store.

"how could somebody go to lottery office and say I lost a lottery ticketand have get that ticket back.  I would think the state would keep themoney but that is just me."

In some cases it would be difficult or impossible to prove ownership. Consider an unscratched scratcher or QP that isn't claimed until long after any security tapes at the place of purchase have been erased. OTOH, there are any number of ways that ownership might be proved. The lottery knows about every ticket issued, including where it was sold (or at least the retailer it was delivered to). The owner might have other tickets purchased at the same time, or might know what non-winning numbers were also on the ticket. There may be security video of the winner buying the ticket. Even with scratchers the approximate time of sale can often be determined. If nothing else, somebody claiming a ticket  fraudulently might have to explain how the owner's DNA got on the ticket. At any rate, if a winning ticket is claimed the lottery will (eventually) pay the money to somebody. In some cases winners can even collect if the ticket never turns up.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49642 Posts
                    Posted: December 8, 2009, 10:41 am - IP Logged

If you were the person that lost the Winning Ticket: What would you want the Finder of said Lost Ticket to do: Cash it in for themselves or Return the Lost Ticket to You?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Chicago, IL
                      United States
                      Member #80641
                      October 1, 2009
                      11 Posts
                      Posted: December 8, 2009, 11:19 am - IP Logged

You've misunderstood the meaning of the stuff that's written on the back of the ticket because you don't understand what a bearer instrument is. Lottery tickets are personal property, just like many other things for which ownership isn't registered (ever hear of cash?), and the owner doesn't lose their ownership interest simply because they lose or misplace the property they own.

"I would think you would only be committing fraud if you signedsomething at the time that you claimed the ticket that said youpurchased the ticket."

That's may be  true, but if you claim a big prize you'll need to fill out and sign a claim form. By signing the form you'll be swearing an oath that you're the rightful owner of the ticket. That means you'll be committing perjury as well as fraud. Since the law requires you to make a reasonable effort to find the rightful owner of found property it's possible that you could be charged with fraud even for claiming a small prize at the local store.

"how could somebody go to lottery office and say I lost a lottery ticketand have get that ticket back.  I would think the state would keep themoney but that is just me."

In some cases it would be difficult or impossible to prove ownership. Consider an unscratched scratcher or QP that isn't claimed until long after any security tapes at the place of purchase have been erased. OTOH, there are any number of ways that ownership might be proved. The lottery knows about every ticket issued, including where it was sold (or at least the retailer it was delivered to). The owner might have other tickets purchased at the same time, or might know what non-winning numbers were also on the ticket. There may be security video of the winner buying the ticket. Even with scratchers the approximate time of sale can often be determined. If nothing else, somebody claiming a ticket  fraudulently might have to explain how the owner's DNA got on the ticket. At any rate, if a winning ticket is claimed the lottery will (eventually) pay the money to somebody. In some cases winners can even collect if the ticket never turns up.

Oh......well if thats the case, I guess I won't be picking up any lost lottery tickets, because I definetely would not want to get caught up in fraud. If I see a overlooked 1 or 10 dollar win. I'll just drop it back down and keep going.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10345 Posts
                        Posted: December 8, 2009, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Oh......well if thats the case, I guess I won't be picking up any lost lottery tickets, because I definetely would not want to get caught up in fraud. If I see a overlooked 1 or 10 dollar win. I'll just drop it back down and keep going.

London,

Your situation in the OP implies a jackpot winmner. The lottery isn't going to investigate a $1 or $10 win.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: December 8, 2009, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

Your options will depend on where you are. Each state in the USA has its own rules. UK, Australia, Canada - likewise.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                            Chicago
                            United States
                            Member #70678
                            February 8, 2009
                            889 Posts
                            Posted: December 8, 2009, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

That's not necessarily true. There was a news story posted here in July, where someone found a lottery ticket that turned out to be a winner and the couple who found the ticket were charged with fraud.

Recently I saw a lottery ticket on the ground and I had the feeling it may have been lost. After reading the news story here LOL I decided it wasn't worth the trouble so I just kept walking.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #55889
                              October 23, 2007
                              5588 Posts
                              Posted: December 8, 2009, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

I noticed recently that the tickets I buy have the date and time of purchase printed on them. This is fairly new in Texas, and my guess is it could be a reaction to the clerk in Grand Prairie stealing the winning MM ticket a while back. So, if you find a ticket on the ground, they can trace it to the store and exactly what time it was purchased. Then just match it with the time and picture on the security camera. For someone like me who buys their tickets at the same store every day, and where the store owners know me, it would be a little harder for someone to claim it.

OTOH, I can be pretty sure no one is going to find one of my tickets on the ground. When I buy my tics, I put them into my lottery playslip holder, and it's the only thing in my hand as I leave the store.