Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have you given up hope that you will win the jackpot?

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 7 years ago by London.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
pepper1's avatar - batman38
hotatlanta
United States
Member #70664
February 8, 2009
1446 Posts
Posted: December 13, 2009, 10:06 am - IP Logged

When lottery first came up I just knew i would win a jackpot, which

I almost did twice. I find that I don't have the zesty that I use to have . I still think I will won oneday

the urge is not as strong as it use to be.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19826 Posts
    Posted: December 13, 2009, 10:54 am - IP Logged

In my state the easiest game to win is Rolling Cash5 (5/39) with jackpots of $100K-$500K, odds of 1:575,757 and is played every day. If I play for 50 years I will only have 18,250 chances to play.

Classic Lotto (6/49) has jackpots of $1M-$12M, odds of 1:13,983,816 and is played three days a week.  If I play for 50 years I will only have 7,800 chances to play.

MegaMillions (5/56+1/46) has jackpots of $12M-$200M+, odds of 1:175,711,436 and is played twice a week.  If I play for 50 years I will only have 5,200 chances to play.

Knowing all of the above when I first started playing, why would I have less enthusiasm now?   All I can do is give it my best shot every chance I get and if I don't win hope for another chance.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

South Florida
      United States
      Member #82132
      November 6, 2009
      112 Posts
      Posted: December 13, 2009, 11:01 am - IP Logged

After enough consecutive losses...yes, I do honestly start losing hope. But then a draw will suddenly come up where I'll hit more numbers than I usually do, and I regain the hope again. But I honestly doubt I'll be playing as often next year, if at all. I think my resolution is going to be to put an end my gambling ways...as they have literally cost me a fortune these past 2 years.

Any town, USA
        United States
        Member #46729
        September 25, 2006
        112 Posts
        Posted: December 13, 2009, 11:22 am - IP Logged

After enough consecutive losses...yes, I do honestly start losing hope. But then a draw will suddenly come up where I'll hit more numbers than I usually do, and I regain the hope again. But I honestly doubt I'll be playing as often next year, if at all. I think my resolution is going to be to put an end my gambling ways...as they have literally cost me a fortune these past 2 years.

I totally agree.  I said the same thing today after plunking down money for the jackpot on Tuesday (MegaMillions).  Now I am debating if I should still play at least $1 every game, or just wait until a big jackpot rolls around, and play $1 then?What?

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
          Midlands, SC
          United States
          Member #69698
          January 14, 2009
          303 Posts
          Posted: December 13, 2009, 11:22 am - IP Logged

I know exactly what you mean recoveryroad.  I need to make a New Year's Resolution to end my gambling ways as well.  I lose hope a lot....and then it happens about 90% of the time....the numbers I usually play come out on the day I decide not to play. 

I started collecting my losing pick3, pick4 & powerball tickets in July...and let me tell you, I am SHOCKED at how much money I've spent.  Makes me wanna cry actually.  I thought that I could use them when I file my taxes but I was told that I would have to win a big pot in order to use my losing tickets...I don't know...I'll ask an accountant how it works. 

It's understandable to give up hope.  So to answer your question, yes, I have given up hope of winning the big one.  At this point in my life, I would settle for just 3 or 4 white balls and 1 red...that way I could get some of my money back.

South Florida
            United States
            Member #82132
            November 6, 2009
            112 Posts
            Posted: December 13, 2009, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

"I started collecting my losing pick3, pick4 & powerball tickets in July...and let me tell you, I am SHOCKED at how much money I've spent.  Makes me wanna cry actually.  I thought that I could use them when I file my taxes but I was told that I would have to win a big pot in order to use my losing tickets...I don't know...I'll ask an accountant how it works."

If you think you've got it bad, it'll take me over 2 decades to use up all my capital losses from the stock market, unless I start investing again and have a big win there. But I'm through with that garbage. Unlike gambling losses though, with capital losses (stock market/real estate related losses), you can take a maximum of $3,000 of your losses to lower your income taxes each year, and the "remaining balance" of your losses can carry over for each following year until you've used up the entire amount.

Unfortunately you're right though. You cannot take your gambling losses for the year and use them to lower the amount of income taxes you will pay, unless you have a gambling win that is large enough to be taxable (I believe in most states you have to win at least $600 to be taxed on gambling winnings). In other words, gambling losses can only be used against gambling winnings. Also, you cannot carry over gambling losses from this year and use them for next year in the event that you do actually have a big win in 2010.

So if you haven't had a taxable gambling win at all this year, and you do not have one by the end of this month either, you might as well dump all your losing tickets from 2009...unless you just want to keep track of how much you've "donated" to your state lottery.

Another thing I discovered that I was mistaken about was that if I do miraculously pull off a huge jackpot gambling win, I can't use my stock market losses to offset the taxes that will be taken out of my jackpot. I really think the losses and gains between the two should be interchangeable, because in my mind, they're both forms of gambling...one's just a lot more expensive than the other when you lose.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: December 13, 2009, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

I almost did twice. I find that I don't have the zesty that I use to have . I still think I will won oneday

No, I can't say that I've given up hope yet. There are days, that I do feel a bit down for not winning anything, but I continue to buy tickets in the hope that one day I will win. Even if I do have days where I don't feel like playing, I try to put at least a dollar in, because if I don't play at all, I know for sure that I won't win anything.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Milwaukee, WI
                United States
                Member #3131
                December 27, 2003
                665 Posts
                Posted: December 13, 2009, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

"Makes me wanna cry actually.  I thought that I could use them when I file my taxes but I was told that I would have to win a big pot in order

> to use my losing tickets...I don't know...I'll ask an accountant how it works."

Yes, if you win a jackpot that requires you to pay taxes, you save your losers and take them off your winnings....

When I won $1590 it took enough off that I paid no taxes on that amount.

When I won PB for $10,000 I took about $4,000 off of my winnings....

That is why you save your losers...

MarkP

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: December 13, 2009, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

If we completely gave up hope would we play?

When I check my numbers and compare them to the drawing I often think "When's my turn?" which I'm sure a lot of us do.

Of course, a long with that I also usually check the numbers and think, "Im glad I'm just a $1 and $2 player".

When I play Pick 5 I usually hit 0 or 1 number,, which of course doesn't pay.

With the Pick 6 it's 0, 1, or 2 numbrs, which doesn't pay.

Those results are exactly what the games are set up to produce the most often. It helps to know that going into them.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    CA
                    United States
                    Member #57222
                    December 23, 2007
                    587 Posts
                    Posted: December 13, 2009, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

I wont ever give up hope.  The day I do that is the day I stop playing.  I noticed that I dont watch my lottery winner dvds daily like I used to. (to get in the lottery winning mood) but i still play. will always play.  I don't do much else, except work.  Besides, the money I spend on lottery would otherwise have been spent buying chips or renting a movie or going to some fast food place.  The money would have been gone anyway.  I think of one of my friend who smokes a pack a day.  Talk about wasting money!  Talk about not getting anything out of it.  Or what he may get out of smoking every day  he wouldnt want.   I'll stick to the hopes of winning a lottery.

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                      Santa Ana
                      United States
                      Member #71159
                      February 20, 2009
                      651 Posts
                      Posted: December 13, 2009, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I was just going to start an new topic on this subject and now I can vent out my frustruation Bash of not winning any thing right now, not even a friggning "free replay of two numbers"; I'm experiencing right now the worst case of lottery frustration, annoyance and just plain boredom.  I also don't have the zest that I had before because the numbers are just not hitting, particularly my chosen numbers.  Now it is just a determination and a strong feeling that my numbers will hit, soon I hope--GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF THE LOTTERY PLAYERS @ LP--YOU WILL WIN EVENTUALLY AS WILL I!!Banana

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5600 Posts
                        Posted: December 13, 2009, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

I have kept track of how much I spend and win, and lose for several years now. I keep track on a monthly basis. I do this because it helps me keep a handle on how much I spend, and because I just want to know where I stand. Each year I win app 15% to 20% of what I play. This year, so far, I'm at 20%. This what I expect each year going in. I do not expect to make a profit. It is very, very rare for anyone to make a profit playing the lottery. It's not set up for people to profit, or even win occasionally.

If you have that mindset going in, you will not lose hope. I play to win a jackpot. Not to make a "profit".

If I want to make a profit, I would play Pick 3, which would give the best chance of doing so. But, there's not much life changing money in P3, so I rarely play.

Coin Toss, your comment about being a $1 and $2 player is right where I think. Play enough to be in the game and give yourself a chance, but not blow a  bunch of money. It's true playing more tics will give a player a better chance, but with the odds we are against, it just doesn't change the odds enough to be worth the cost.

Before you lose hope, remember all the people that have won with a buck and a QP. You just never know if or when it will be you.

Good luck!

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: December 13, 2009, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

I'm not holding my breath. Although I'm not playing much at all. To win the Fantasy five here in Florida, it's 376 times harder than p-3.

To win the million dollar lotto here, I'd have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. Florida is the lightning capital of the WORLD ! The chance of getting hit by lightning is about 1 in 7 million. The odds of hitting the "Lotto" jackpot is about one in 23 million.

I buy a ticket here and there and hope for the equivalent of a sky opening up and the heavens making a very dramatic entrance...lol

My new and realistic endeavor is apart from the lottery. It involves a 2,000 dollar dog racing system which shows great promise. That's my ticket out.

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                            Santa Ana
                            United States
                            Member #71159
                            February 20, 2009
                            651 Posts
                            Posted: December 13, 2009, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

I have kept track of how much I spend and win, and lose for several years now. I keep track on a monthly basis. I do this because it helps me keep a handle on how much I spend, and because I just want to know where I stand. Each year I win app 15% to 20% of what I play. This year, so far, I'm at 20%. This what I expect each year going in. I do not expect to make a profit. It is very, very rare for anyone to make a profit playing the lottery. It's not set up for people to profit, or even win occasionally.

If you have that mindset going in, you will not lose hope. I play to win a jackpot. Not to make a "profit".

If I want to make a profit, I would play Pick 3, which would give the best chance of doing so. But, there's not much life changing money in P3, so I rarely play.

Coin Toss, your comment about being a $1 and $2 player is right where I think. Play enough to be in the game and give yourself a chance, but not blow a  bunch of money. It's true playing more tics will give a player a better chance, but with the odds we are against, it just doesn't change the odds enough to be worth the cost.

Before you lose hope, remember all the people that have won with a buck and a QP. You just never know if or when it will be you.

Good luck!

Amen to that; you are certainly correct on that fact; all it takes is "the" one winning ticket, i.e. $1;00 or 4 quarters to win with a QP or your own chosen numers and you'll never know just when it will happen but it WILL one day--GOOD LUCK TO YOU AS WELLHyper

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: December 14, 2009, 1:19 am - IP Logged

Que sera, sera. Whatever will be will be.

We all have the same chances as long as we got a buck in the kitty. Never give up hope but don't bet the farm. Look at the lottery as a hobby with a potential big payoff. If it wasn't fun for me I would have quit long ago. I just don't take it too serious. It's a cheap hobby compared to many others if you keep things in perspective and play with discipline. Win or lose, everyday above ground is still a good one. That's the way I look at it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke