Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have you given up hope that you will win the jackpot?

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 7 years ago by London.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
sully16's avatar - sharan
Ringleader
Michigan
United States
Member #81740
October 28, 2009
42118 Posts
Posted: December 14, 2009, 7:26 am - IP Logged

I'll pick my daily 3 then not play them because i'm either broke or very guilty for spending 5 bucks then they come in, or worse when i have a couple bucks to play i get impatient and switch numbers and of course the ones i threw out come in, my ying and yang are whack. good luck to all!

HyperBe Happy.

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
    Midlands, SC
    United States
    Member #69698
    January 14, 2009
    303 Posts
    Posted: December 14, 2009, 7:35 am - IP Logged

"I started collecting my losing pick3, pick4 & powerball tickets in July...and let me tell you, I am SHOCKED at how much money I've spent.  Makes me wanna cry actually.  I thought that I could use them when I file my taxes but I was told that I would have to win a big pot in order to use my losing tickets...I don't know...I'll ask an accountant how it works."

If you think you've got it bad, it'll take me over 2 decades to use up all my capital losses from the stock market, unless I start investing again and have a big win there. But I'm through with that garbage. Unlike gambling losses though, with capital losses (stock market/real estate related losses), you can take a maximum of $3,000 of your losses to lower your income taxes each year, and the "remaining balance" of your losses can carry over for each following year until you've used up the entire amount.

Unfortunately you're right though. You cannot take your gambling losses for the year and use them to lower the amount of income taxes you will pay, unless you have a gambling win that is large enough to be taxable (I believe in most states you have to win at least $600 to be taxed on gambling winnings). In other words, gambling losses can only be used against gambling winnings. Also, you cannot carry over gambling losses from this year and use them for next year in the event that you do actually have a big win in 2010.

So if you haven't had a taxable gambling win at all this year, and you do not have one by the end of this month either, you might as well dump all your losing tickets from 2009...unless you just want to keep track of how much you've "donated" to your state lottery.

Another thing I discovered that I was mistaken about was that if I do miraculously pull off a huge jackpot gambling win, I can't use my stock market losses to offset the taxes that will be taken out of my jackpot. I really think the losses and gains between the two should be interchangeable, because in my mind, they're both forms of gambling...one's just a lot more expensive than the other when you lose.

Thank you for explaining this!  In SC, we're taxed for anything over 500.00.  So unless I get lucky in the next few weeks come January 1st, I'm tossing these old tickets.

PlraX's avatar - large flag_of_dominican_republic.gif
      Deeping in Ramdoness
      Dominican Republic
      Member #73824
      April 25, 2009
      238 Posts
      Posted: December 14, 2009, 9:20 am - IP Logged

I dont know WHY.. but something insideme told me that i go to WON.. but its true some times i feel so bad when i loose the most HIT THAT I HAVE IS 4 balls in a 6/38 game.. for a pay out of 15$ usd.. but i still playing and playing.. because one of the system that i use . need PATIENCE.. and wait and wait until come up the corretc numbers all together.. but something INSIDE ME, say that i need to play that some day i will WON IN BIG i feel in my dreams i feel when i wlaking in the street thinkin in lotto and in a flash time.. a CAR cross in front of me whit a AD of lotto.. that all.. i feel bad when i losse but knowin that i will won some day

i will get MY COUNTRY jackpot..

THE SMARTER PEOPLE ...are succesfull, person

Georgia
        United States
        Member #79361
        August 30, 2009
        93 Posts
        Posted: December 14, 2009, 9:36 am - IP Logged

That's why I come here to see others playing and get encouragment.

It gives me hope and encouragement to keep playing and

someday I will win it.

Georgia
          United States
          Member #79361
          August 30, 2009
          93 Posts
          Posted: December 14, 2009, 9:39 am - IP Logged

I totally agree.  I said the same thing today after plunking down money for the jackpot on Tuesday (MegaMillions).  Now I am debating if I should still play at least $1 every game, or just wait until a big jackpot rolls around, and play $1 then?What?

I entered my picks into my database.  I am at about 150.

I am almost to the point of no return for a 4 match in Fantasy 5.

I compared my picks with past and present wins and no matches so far.

Any town, USA
            United States
            Member #46729
            September 25, 2006
            112 Posts
            Posted: December 14, 2009, 9:47 am - IP Logged

I entered my picks into my database.  I am at about 150.

I am almost to the point of no return for a 4 match in Fantasy 5.

I compared my picks with past and present wins and no matches so far.

Do like I did yesterday.  Play one more game, and see what happens.  I acted on a hunch Wink

pepper1's avatar - batman38
              hotatlanta
              United States
              Member #70664
              February 8, 2009
              1446 Posts
              Posted: December 14, 2009, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Do like I did yesterday.  Play one more game, and see what happens.  I acted on a hunch Wink

What happen?

Any town, USA
                United States
                Member #46729
                September 25, 2006
                112 Posts
                Posted: December 14, 2009, 11:17 am - IP Logged

What happen?

I will find out Tuesday, as I played the MegaMillions. Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19901 Posts
                  Posted: December 14, 2009, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for explaining this!  In SC, we're taxed for anything over 500.00.  So unless I get lucky in the next few weeks come January 1st, I'm tossing these old tickets.

Can't you go back and do some kind of income averaging if you have a particular good years and get some deductions for the bad year?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LottoPools's avatar - bee
                    Houston, TX
                    United States
                    Member #4496
                    April 29, 2004
                    71 Posts
                    Posted: December 14, 2009, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

I haven't given up hope but I'm starting to wonder if my age will be greater than Tuesday's cash option amount before I win ROFL

Playing together to make a splash in the pool of lottery winners.  It's just a matter of time.

pepper1's avatar - batman38
                      hotatlanta
                      United States
                      Member #70664
                      February 8, 2009
                      1446 Posts
                      Posted: December 14, 2009, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

I haven't given up hope but I'm starting to wonder if my age will be greater than Tuesday's cash option amount before I win ROFL

The last man that won was about 70. At least your golden years will be nice.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3316 Posts
                        Posted: December 14, 2009, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

it really is less likely than being hit by lightning. If you are getting really negative feelings from playing, maybe you spend too much. I play min entry in all our draws , and that works out to $10 a week.

thats prob too much for me , thats $520 a year! but as someone pointed out if they play for 50 years they still have next to no chance. I wont be helping by stopping altoghether.

just keep in with the slimmest of chances, after all some small chance is better than no chance.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

South Florida
                          United States
                          Member #82132
                          November 6, 2009
                          112 Posts
                          Posted: December 15, 2009, 12:26 am - IP Logged

Can't you go back and do some kind of income averaging if you have a particular good years and get some deductions for the bad year?

No, you can't. That option is only available with capital losses, not gambling losses.

South Florida
                            United States
                            Member #82132
                            November 6, 2009
                            112 Posts
                            Posted: December 15, 2009, 12:33 am - IP Logged

it really is less likely than being hit by lightning. If you are getting really negative feelings from playing, maybe you spend too much. I play min entry in all our draws , and that works out to $10 a week.

thats prob too much for me , thats $520 a year! but as someone pointed out if they play for 50 years they still have next to no chance. I wont be helping by stopping altoghether.

just keep in with the slimmest of chances, after all some small chance is better than no chance.

Well I've been playing a lottery game where your chances of winning are much better than the odds of being struck by lightning. But lately I haven't even been paying attention to those odds. I've been trying to win the lower prize, which requires you to beat 1 in 81 odds....but even accomplishing that has been next to impossible.

On the final weekend/week of this year, I'll be playing heavily and purchasing far more tickets than usual each day...in a last ditch effort..and after that, I'm done with lottery.

LottoPools's avatar - bee
                              Houston, TX
                              United States
                              Member #4496
                              April 29, 2004
                              71 Posts
                              Posted: December 15, 2009, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

No I haven't given up hope but I'm really frustrated.  I've been playing for more than 20 years and have never won more than a few dollars.

Playing together to make a splash in the pool of lottery winners.  It's just a matter of time.