Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Would You Have Done??

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jwhou.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
ORLANDO, FLORIDA
United States
Member #4924
June 3, 2004
5896 Posts
Posted: December 14, 2009, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

After printing my Fantasy 5 tickets for tonights draw, the clerk tells me the amount, which is $10 more than I played. We look at the tickets and the machine had printed out 10 quick-picks on a single ticket. I told the clerk that wasn't mine and he cheked my playslips and agreed, I was correct. He asked me if I wanted to purchase them........................................what would you have done?????????? I will answer that question tomorrow morning.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: December 14, 2009, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I'd have taken them without thing twice about it.

I've won on those mistakes before.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
      Member #48046
      December 7, 2006
      1699 Posts
      Posted: December 14, 2009, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

If I had the money I would have bought them

If I didn't   I probably would have gone home and thought about it too much

go cash in some cans or something     and go back to the store.

It would bother me too much to let someone else get them

FloridaGirl's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
        Ft lauderdale , florida
        United States
        Member #4606
        May 7, 2004
        220 Posts
        Posted: December 14, 2009, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

The same thing happen to me with pick 3.
        I told the clerk that she gave me the wrong ticket because i use the slip with the choose of  186 .  I did buy  the number the machine gave me  494 with my own slip ........................and on my own slip was 186..............which i had to replay ..........and very good that i had look  and replay  because my own number was a winner.
        You never know........ i was wondering if that was a sign that i should have play 494 instead  of 186.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: December 14, 2009, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I would have said "No Thanks".

The other day I gave a clerk my MM play slips to run and she asked if I wanted  $5 worth of QPs.  She had printed an extra $5 ticket that she was trying to get rid of.  I told her "No Thanks, my own mistakes cost enough".

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ORLANDO, FLORIDA
            United States
            Member #4924
            June 3, 2004
            5896 Posts
            Posted: December 14, 2009, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

I would have said "No Thanks".

The other day I gave a clerk my MM play slips to run and she asked if I wanted  $5 worth of QPs.  She had printed an extra $5 ticket that she was trying to get rid of.  I told her "No Thanks, my own mistakes cost enough".

Very good response, RJOh!!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: December 14, 2009, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I vaguely remember a story from years and years ago about a mistake ticket printed and refused by somebody if I recall it right.

It turned out to be a major jackpot winner and the owner and employee were in court fighting over who's ticket it was.

I don't know how that ended but they won't get the chance with me, I always take 'em.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
                Park City, UT
                United States
                Member #69864
                January 18, 2009
                993 Posts
                Posted: December 14, 2009, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

If I had the cash I would have bought them.  If I make a mistake filling out a slip by selecting the wrong number I usually go and ahead and play them if I have the cash on hand.  I had a betslip that the machine chewed up, literally tore a third of a card off.  So I went and refilled out the card, because I was sure it was a sign of good things to come.  It would make a good story if I hit off of that payslip but sadly got nada.  So I should probably say no to these goofs but I don't.

Jimmy

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                  Midlands, SC
                  United States
                  Member #69698
                  January 14, 2009
                  303 Posts
                  Posted: December 14, 2009, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

I've always taken them...but haven't won on one yet that was given by mistake.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19825 Posts
                    Posted: December 14, 2009, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

I vaguely remember a story from years and years ago about a mistake ticket printed and refused by somebody if I recall it right.

It turned out to be a major jackpot winner and the owner and employee were in court fighting over who's ticket it was.

I don't know how that ended but they won't get the chance with me, I always take 'em.

There have been a couple of stories like that in the LP News that I recall.  A clerk didn't cancel a mistake and found out the next morning it was a big winner and bought it and the store owner complained it belonged to him since he had alway paid for mistakes that his clerks didn't cancel, losers and winners.  And then there the story of the clerk that couldn't cancel or sell an extra ticket printed by mistake so she paid for it and found out the next morning it was a big winner.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/154831/817412

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5345 Posts
                      Posted: December 15, 2009, 12:28 am - IP Logged

After printing my Fantasy 5 tickets for tonights draw, the clerk tells me the amount, which is $10 more than I played. We look at the tickets and the machine had printed out 10 quick-picks on a single ticket. I told the clerk that wasn't mine and he cheked my playslips and agreed, I was correct. He asked me if I wanted to purchase them........................................what would you have done?????????? I will answer that question tomorrow morning.

what would you have done??????????

I would put another quarter in the parking meter.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: December 15, 2009, 12:41 am - IP Logged

Honestly, for $10 worth of extra tickets, I probably wouldn't have bought them. If it had been 1 or 2 tickets, maybe, but I have a certain amount I like to spend and ten dollars worth would be going way over that.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3300 Posts
                          Posted: December 15, 2009, 2:11 am - IP Logged

id go with my own tickets, theyre what i want entered and what i paid for.

we can cancel tickets at the same terminal they where bought from upto an hour or so before the draw.

so i dont know how it is over there in USA, kinda sucks you paying for  vclerks mistakes by buying their tickets.

If i was a lottery comission, id have set rules for agents buying own tickets like only llowed to be bought between sertin hours say after closinf time till half hour later. other thn that ll claims form agents would be void.

would stop agents selling losers onto  newbie customers.

or a sperate , " AGENTS " MARKED TICKET to be only tickets an agent will ever be allowed to claim, one where a button is pressed to designate it as a shop bought ticket.

would be hard to on sell that to a  customer, no agent ever gets to claim a non agent winner.

anyhow im rambling . i wouldnt take the  tickets i dont want.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                            United States
                            Member #4924
                            June 3, 2004
                            5896 Posts
                            Posted: December 15, 2009, 4:42 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't buy them, but my wife of 40+ years did. She was afraid, they ,might be a winner.

Results

3-11-12-13-16

nothing!!

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              CA
                              United States
                              Member #57222
                              December 23, 2007
                              587 Posts
                              Posted: December 15, 2009, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Personally I would have never told the clerk that it was a mistake.  I simple would have taken the ticket and marched out.  The odds of it even being a winner is astronomical but even so,  my thoughts are,  I purchased that ticket many times over throughout the years!  they can take the cost out of the thousands of losers I have purchased!   Not sure if you had already paid for the ticket then no way.  but if I hadnt paid for it and the clerk  gave me a total  $10 more than I request then Yes, I would have purchased it.  It is just those kind of mistake that end up being winners.

Does the store get some kind of incentive for tickets sales?  That would explain the "mistakes" of printing more tickets.  They know the people believe in fluke "miracle" winning tickets and would not refuse them.