Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you give lottery tickets as Christmas gifts?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: December 19, 2009, 12:11 am - IP Logged

If you don't know what to get someone, I think they are a fun gift to give. I got a subscription to the Massachusetts lottery for a friend. If he wins, I do hope he will remember me!

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: December 19, 2009, 12:20 am - IP Logged

Do I give lottery tickets for presents?

Nope. I already spend too much on losing tickets.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5118 Posts
      Posted: December 19, 2009, 12:49 am - IP Logged

If you don't know what to get someone, I think they are a fun gift to give. I got a subscription to the Massachusetts lottery for a friend. If he wins, I do hope he will remember me!

"YES">>>>>> I DO >>>>>>

we mail out a few XMAS cards or HOLIDAY cards >>>>>>>>>>

or whatever U want 2 call>um>!!!!!!!!!!!> 2 mainly media people!

but, we staple  $5.00  QP'ssssssss>  2 all as a promotion!!!!!

we donot "wisk" 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  BRIBE  anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUSIC is a CHANCE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   U better B G@@D!!!!!!

PSYKOMO

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: December 19, 2009, 12:56 am - IP Logged

I've already bought all my X-mas gifts this year and none of them included lottery tickets. Besides, most of the people who are close to me, aren't really fans of playing the lottery. They know that is my hobby. Wink

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Talking Rock, GA
          United States
          Member #60369
          April 15, 2008
          398 Posts
          Posted: December 19, 2009, 1:10 am - IP Logged

I most certainly did give tickets for Christmas gifts (and I've still gotta get some more tickets to give for some more people next week).  One thing I like about buying lottery tickets for gifts.....they're quick, easy, and you (for the most part) don't have to wait in long lines unlike if you were going to buy them something from a mall or big retailer this time of year, and there's a chance that the ticket itself could be worth more than it looks. Wink

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40346 Posts
            Posted: December 19, 2009, 7:06 am - IP Logged

i got my husband 2 20 dollar raffle tickets as stocking stuffer, i'll probably get one for my mom too,other then those two i would'nt get anyone else one.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49674 Posts
              Posted: December 19, 2009, 7:29 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't give a Lottery Ticket as a Gift!

Most of the civilized world recognizes that a lottery ticket is the worst gift one could possibly give.

Lottery Tickets make poor gifts because a vast majority of them lose.

After one minute of scratching or watching the Drawing: What was once a thoughtful gift becomes a useless piece of paper. No other gift in the world finds it's way to the Trash Can faster than a losing Lottery Ticket.

If the ticket wins a hundred million dollars: The giver will feel bad at the receiver's good fortune, this will lead to animosity between the two of them. The giver will imply that he or she deserves a cut of the winnings, and the relationship will be downhill from there.

What makes matters worse is the false hope of wealth that a lottery ticket delivers. When a person holds one in their hands, they think about how their life will change if it wins. Visions of mansions, sports cars, and early retirement dance in their heads when faced with the prospect of instant riches. In the blink of an eye: The hope is dashed agaist the rocks of reality and statistics when they discover it's a Loser. This process takes the receiver of a lottery ticket gift through the roller coaster of great hope and great disappointment, and chances are good that the receiver will like the giver a little bit less when the ride is over.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                Ohio
                United States
                Member #49980
                February 21, 2007
                34126 Posts
                Posted: December 19, 2009, 7:56 am - IP Logged

No I have never did that, But every once in a while I will give a Lottery ticket for Birthday Gift, but not to often.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                  Midlands, SC
                  United States
                  Member #69698
                  January 14, 2009
                  303 Posts
                  Posted: December 19, 2009, 8:03 am - IP Logged

Yes, I did yesterday for a few co-workers.  We usually just give each other a card...this time I inserted 1 powerball ticket in each one.  It's a small thrill, plus because I'm broke it's about the only thing I could afford.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                    Charlotte NC
                    United States
                    Member #17406
                    June 18, 2005
                    4053 Posts
                    Posted: December 19, 2009, 8:42 am - IP Logged

I ain't biting on the implications of why a lottery ticket shouldn't be a gift because when I give someone a lottery ticket as a gift, it is their's and I wish them the best of luck. 

The perfect gift is what a person wants....clues to what they want is what they have mentioned all year and have O-O'ed and ahh-ed over.   If lottery tickets is what the person wants, it's the perfect gift. 

I have a friend that zones when she scratch scratchoffs.  She's like "don't talk to me now I'm scratching" She say it's her therapy.  I don't try to get into why or think too much into it.  She's in God's hand. 

And she win all the time with scratchers piled up waiting to be cashed in.  Some people drink beer or have a drink when they get off from work, she scratch lottery tickets.

Her favorite scratchoffs from different places will be her Christmas present, along with a used copy of Motown 25 which she has mentioned several times she wish she had a copy of. 

So I'm giving my friend one thing she wants and one thing she likes.

takeemtothebank

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                      Member #47420
                      November 4, 2006
                      3930 Posts
                      Posted: December 19, 2009, 9:39 am - IP Logged

"Keep gambling to yourself"..Once you give tickets to a friend or relative and they hit big and forget you then you have lost a friend or relative..You start thinking "wow I gave them that winner and they diden't share"..You say now it doesen't matter but after awhile it will..Human nature..Good luck...

Sunny California
                        United States
                        Member #40295
                        May 31, 2006
                        7712 Posts
                        Posted: December 19, 2009, 10:53 am - IP Logged

I always give my mother scratchoffs for Christmas. She never buys lottery tickets for herself and she has fun sitting there after the presents are open scratching away. And after all she's done for me in my life, if she wins there will be no one happier for her than me!

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                          Northern Virginia
                          United States
                          Member #83350
                          December 5, 2009
                          1313 Posts
                          Posted: December 19, 2009, 10:58 am - IP Logged

I bought my dad a Millionaire Raffle ticket because he buys all these expensive gifts for us for Christmas, and this is the only chance I have to reciprocate.

I bought my best friend's parents (we go to see them every year on Christmas Day) a Redskins Lotto Scratcher because they are Redskins fans.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                            Illinois
                            United States
                            Member #82001
                            November 3, 2009
                            890 Posts
                            Posted: December 19, 2009, 11:23 am - IP Logged

i got my husband 2 20 dollar raffle tickets as stocking stuffer, i'll probably get one for my mom too,other then those two i would'nt get anyone else one.

I got some MI raffle tixs for myself as a xmas present too. They are not selling that well right now though which is a shame because like to see it continue

Bondi Junction
                              Australia
                              Member #57242
                              December 24, 2007
                              1102 Posts
                              Posted: December 19, 2009, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't give a Lottery Ticket as a Gift!

Most of the civilized world recognizes that a lottery ticket is the worst gift one could possibly give.

Lottery Tickets make poor gifts because a vast majority of them lose.

After one minute of scratching or watching the Drawing: What was once a thoughtful gift becomes a useless piece of paper. No other gift in the world finds it's way to the Trash Can faster than a losing Lottery Ticket.

If the ticket wins a hundred million dollars: The giver will feel bad at the receiver's good fortune, this will lead to animosity between the two of them. The giver will imply that he or she deserves a cut of the winnings, and the relationship will be downhill from there.

What makes matters worse is the false hope of wealth that a lottery ticket delivers. When a person holds one in their hands, they think about how their life will change if it wins. Visions of mansions, sports cars, and early retirement dance in their heads when faced with the prospect of instant riches. In the blink of an eye: The hope is dashed agaist the rocks of reality and statistics when they discover it's a Loser. This process takes the receiver of a lottery ticket gift through the roller coaster of great hope and great disappointment, and chances are good that the receiver will like the giver a little bit less when the ride is over.

There are no losers, we all WIN! The reason for lotteries is to raises revenue, and we all benefit form the revenue raised.

Like that good old Hot Chocolate song, "Everyone's a winner, baby, that's the truth".

We all get a lot out of lotteries!