Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you give lottery tickets as Christmas gifts?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: December 19, 2009, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

You can give gift subscriptions to the UK National Lottery, but the recipient must be a UK resident, or at least have a UK address.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49709 Posts
    Posted: December 20, 2009, 7:47 am - IP Logged

There are no losers, we all WIN! The reason for lotteries is to raises revenue, and we all benefit form the revenue raised.

Like that good old Hot Chocolate song, "Everyone's a winner, baby, that's the truth".

The truth of the matter is revenue is collected from everyone, but only a few benefit from it.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
      Member #83701
      December 13, 2009
      225 Posts
      Posted: December 24, 2009, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

If you don't know what to get someone, I think they are a fun gift to give. I got a subscription to the Massachusetts lottery for a friend. If he wins, I do hope he will remember me!

I really think lotteries should be a personal affair.   Buying tickets for someone else is just risking complications should it be a winning ticket or should you win on another ticket unless you've both agreed to share all winnings regardless and then it's a matter of who spends more on tickets.   In general, buying tickets for someone else is as bad an idea as borrowing or lending from/to family and friends.

There's probably nothing wrong with giving one dollar scratch-offs as the top prize is just $1,000 but how would you feel if that Mega Million ticket hit the jackpot and your friend didn't share the pot or if he did, what share would be appropriate?    It's not worth risking a friendship over.

Bondi Junction
        Australia
        Member #57242
        December 24, 2007
        1102 Posts
        Posted: December 26, 2009, 3:35 am - IP Logged

You can also give gift subscriptions to the Irish State Lottery, buy the recipient must have an Irish address.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
          Northern Virginia
          United States
          Member #83350
          December 5, 2009
          1315 Posts
          Posted: December 26, 2009, 10:24 am - IP Logged

I bought a Redskins Mania scratcher for my best friend's mom and dad (they kind of take the place of an aunt and uncle, since all of mine live outside of the U.S.). The scratcher won $50. I was hoping they would not win so that they could enter it online and win season tickets to the Redskins for 20 years, but I am still happy for them that they won $50.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

United States
            Member #54390
            August 17, 2007
            313 Posts
            Posted: December 26, 2009, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Lottery tickets are the worst present ever. You might as well give them a rubber band.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              705 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2009, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Truth in Advertising. 

Michigan advertised " 'F-UP' someones holiday with an instant ticket"

Well that was certainly the case here.  I gave someone a $20 scratcher and they lost.

After the crying stopped I had to explain that they had learned a valuable lesson and that only losers buy scratch offs.  I guess the lesson is the true gift.

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
                Kansas
                United States
                Member #83963
                December 19, 2009
                347 Posts
                Posted: December 26, 2009, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

I have given lottery tickets, both scratch and powerball to my parents in the past, as gifts. I know that they would share if it was a jackpot prize, so that's not a problem. They both like to gamble, and occasionally play the lottery, so they enjoyed them. Since this has now become my "hobby of all hobbies", I can't bear to buy a lottery ticket and part with it. lol  I just know I'm going to win, and then I will share with all of them when I do. :-)

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10350 Posts
                  Posted: December 27, 2009, 12:47 am - IP Logged

I gave my wife a $30 scratcher, highest priced one in Illinois, and way beyond our normal play but hey, it was Christmas.

"Best scratcher odds ever" says the lottery!

Cost: $30
                  Features: WIN UP TO $3,000,000!*
                  BEST ODDS EVER FOR AN INSTANT TICKET!

Approximate overall odds of winning (including break-even prizes) are 1 in 2.46.

Any surprise it was a loser! 1 in 2.46 is pretty good for a scratcher, but if it's not a winner...

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #56506
                    November 21, 2007
                    6537 Posts
                    Posted: December 27, 2009, 1:17 am - IP Logged

In the past, when my mother, me or sisters have given scratch off tickets to each other for Christmas, it was as stocking stuffers only. I would never give anyone tickets thinking it was an actual gift, but we sometimes add them as stocking stuffers, it's fun. My youngest sister got three of them this year in her stocking and didn't win anything. Last year, she got a couple of $1 tickets and won $20 bucks. I think they make great stocking stuffers, but wouldn't consider giving them to anyone I know just as a gift.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
                      Kansas
                      United States
                      Member #83963
                      December 19, 2009
                      347 Posts
                      Posted: December 27, 2009, 1:50 am - IP Logged

Well, I with agree you, ThatScaryChick. When I say I give them as a gift, that's not the ONLY gift. lol  It's just a little something extra, stuck in their Christmas cards, or a stocking stuffer kind of gift.

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: December 27, 2009, 9:51 am - IP Logged

I think it depends on the recipient. If they're a player they will enjoy getting it.

If however they're not a player and the ticket is a loser, then they feel like you didn't give them anything at all and will henceforth consider you a big dummy and an ingrate.

Only give them to players.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke