Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 1:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What makes a Good Quick Pick??

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 7 years ago by marcie.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
pick4hawk's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif

United States
Member #19982
August 9, 2005
226 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2010, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

That's why I created the new LP Quick Picks page.  Unlike 99.99% of the random number generators out there, it uses an advanced cryptographic library to generate the random numbers.

What that means is that just about every other place uses the random number generator that is built into the programming language the Web site is built with.  The RNG built into programming languages is just plain terrible in most cases, using a fairly pitiful algorithm that produces patterns.  (It is also why they are really called psuedo-random number generators.)

The advanced cryptographic library that LP relies upon is a much more advanced RNG that is not built into the programming language.  It is much closer to randomization found in sources of true random qualities seen in nature, such as readings from radiactive decay.  You will not see the kind of patterns that are found in programming language psuedo-random number generators.

Todd:

I still feel inorder to win one must somehow use the past winning numbers from a file somehow.

Either to guide or control what any RNG does

sort of like creating a new wave out the past results.

I suppose it would not be entirely random but step closer to what is genuinely occuring.

HAWK

*We may see something that isn’t there because of what we expect to see

Or conversely, we may not see something because we don’t expect to see it.*

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8395 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2010, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Todd:

I still feel inorder to win one must somehow use the past winning numbers from a file somehow.

I suppose it would not be entirely random but step closer to what is genuinely occuring.

HAWK

We have ball drawings here in MD however it doesn't matter what type of drawing you have without tools files are useless.

I have the complete file from MD state lottery. I have broken it down to many different files for pick 3/4/5 games. I update and use the files daily. I know every pick 4 number that has came out straight and the amount of times all of them have hit. I also have a file of every pick 4 number that never hit straight.

So far in about 4 years pouring over these files hasn't produce but one pick 4 straight win many boxes.
    Files are good for reference but unless you have some sort of program or tool that will narrow the numbers to a possible win all the files in the world aren't going to matter.

My no hit pick 4 list looked promising when i first created it i thought for sure that i would win all the time using it but it has been a big disappointment to me so far.

My all time pick 4 list with the numbers that came out the most has also been a disappointment because there are a lot of numbers that came out straight multiple times but that doesn't mean they will continue to come out regularly.

I miss the pick 4 straight by one number so many times i am thinking about having my name changed to missed by one

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
      RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19903 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2010, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

I too keep files of past drawings for the games I play.  I use them to chart the distribution of parameters I use to randomly pick a few lines to play.  Usually parameters such as sums, ranges, matches and etc. form a bell curve when charted and I like to stay within the largest part of the bell where 80% of the winning combinations seem to always be.

For example I don't know what Friday winning MegaMillion combination will be but I'm 80% sure when compared to the other 478 MM winning combinations since the last matrix change it will have:

matched 0 = 278-308
      matched 1 = 142-168
      matched 2 = 19-32 
      matched 3 = 0-3
      matched 4 = 0
      matched 5 = 0
      a sum between 95-190, a range between 27-53 and the five numbers together will have hit 197-229 times.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: January 20, 2010, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

As the PB and MM websites inform us, 70 to 80 % of ticket sales, and jackpot winning tickets are QPs.

From that we can surmise that most jackpot winners haven't done any of the things being discussed here.

It may be fun to do them, and if they could possibly produce winners it would be even more fun. If all that had to be overcome was something like the pointspreads and the vig in football (it takes 52.6% winners to come out even because the bet is 11 to win 10), that would be one thing.

But nothing exists that can overcome odds of over 100 million to one, in PB almost 200 million.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23352 Posts
          Posted: January 20, 2010, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Todd:

HAWK

That's fine, and I would not disagree:  using past winning numbers is a great idea.  Lottery Post has a ton of different uses of past winning numbers.

However, having a completely random number generator at your disposal is also a great idea, for those times when you want either some random digits or random complete ticket sets.  And in those cases, using a RNG that is either a psuedo-random number generator or uses some kind of "intelligent picking" based on historical information of any type -- or ANY outside influence -- is a bad idea.  It doesn't even fit the definition of "random".

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19903 Posts
            Posted: January 20, 2010, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Having a completely random number generator is a great idea but generating a bunch of lines and choosing some of them to play will introduce some bias in the ones you play regardless.  It's impossible to give a second thought to the numbers you play without introducing some bias, yet that is one of the advantages of having a good random number generator off line.

Evil Looking       

CA
              United States
              Member #84266
              December 26, 2009
              410 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2010, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

I think that a good random number generator or rather a combinations generator should take the past winning numbers and all possible combinations into consideration. The output should eliminate past winning combinations and obvious patterns.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2010, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

I have been wondering ----Which would you rather have a Genuine Lottery Quick Pick terminal that chooses its next winning numbers off a file of previously drawn winning numbers some how. Or its process  initialized off of some external physical binnary source.

A new game won't have a 'previous draw' history file, so you'd need to use a different method to get the numbers.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19903 Posts
                  Posted: January 21, 2010, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

I think that a good random number generator or rather a combinations generator should take the past winning numbers and all possible combinations into consideration. The output should eliminate past winning combinations and obvious patterns.

Some members have suggested accomplishing what you suggest by using a random number generator to generate a bunch of combinations and then filtering out the ones that are past winners but I find it's easier and takes less memory to check the combinations with a draw file and eliminate them as they are generated.  MegaMillions, a 5/56  game with almost four millions possible combinations of fives has had less than 1400 drawings so using past drawings is not likely to eliminate many of your picks.

Evil Looking       

pick4hawk's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif

United States
                    Member #19982
                    August 9, 2005
                    226 Posts
                    Posted: January 23, 2010, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Any more unique suggestions on what would make a good Quick PICK Program.

HAWK

*We may see something that isn’t there because of what we expect to see

Or conversely, we may not see something because we don’t expect to see it.*

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10392 Posts
                      Posted: January 23, 2010, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Any more unique suggestions on what would make a good Quick PICK Program.

HAWK

pcik4hawk,

A Quick Pick is a Quick Pick....not sure what a program would involve or if there would really be any such thing.  Here's a thought, and this has been mentioned here on LP....let todays' QP be the numbers for the next three days.

In other words, today is Saturday. Get a QP for your game of chpice and play it for the next three drawings for that game.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: January 23, 2010, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

pick4hawk,

You might fins this thread very intersting;

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/203254/1450439?q=sacrifice+bunt&rp=search

Lep

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                          Member #81314
                          October 16, 2009
                          19460 Posts
                          Posted: January 23, 2010, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Hello:

That is how I played, off quick picks, since the numbers are computer generated.

like today, I got, 805 on a quick pick, but, 158 dropped,

I normally would have changed the 0 to a 1, but, I didn't,  :-(

Maybe next time.

good luck.

Sometimes, the quick pick, str/box is the winning number.

Also, last night, I got, 763 on a quick pick, so, I played, 773, but, 663 dropped.

OMG, I was, so mad, lol,

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19903 Posts
                            Posted: January 23, 2010, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

I too keep files of past drawings for the games I play.  I use them to chart the distribution of parameters I use to randomly pick a few lines to play.  Usually parameters such as sums, ranges, matches and etc. form a bell curve when charted and I like to stay within the largest part of the bell where 80% of the winning combinations seem to always be.

For example I don't know what Friday winning MegaMillion combination will be but I'm 80% sure when compared to the other 478 MM winning combinations since the last matrix change it will have:

matched 0 = 278-308
                            matched 1 = 142-168
                            matched 2 = 19-32 
                            matched 3 = 0-3
                            matched 4 = 0
                            matched 5 = 0
                            a sum between 95-190, a range between 27-53 and the five numbers together will have hit 197-229 times.

FRI 01/22/10 - 08 13 27 28 52    +09  SUM = 128  RANGE = 45 
                            --------------------------------------

MATCHES        WB     MB

MATCH  0 = 291    8     
                                    MATCH  1 = 152    2     
                                    MATCH  2 = 33     0
                                   MATCH  3 = 2      0     
                                    MATCH  4 = 0      0
                                   MATCH  5 = 0      0

478 DRAWS CHECKED

08 13 27 28 52 HAD HIT A TOTAL OF 224 TIMES

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19903 Posts
                              Posted: January 23, 2010, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

If some QPs are good then some must be bad.  What do you do with a bad QP once it's printed?  Do you ask the clerk to cancel it and print another one?  And once you have a good one, do you continue to play the same numbers until they win?

Evil Looking