Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What makes a Good Quick Pick??

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 7 years ago by marcie.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Georgia
United States
Member #79361
August 30, 2009
93 Posts
Posted: January 23, 2010, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Neither is a true Quick Pick.

Quick Pick = Random Numbers

As soon as you base your numbers on anything, they cease to be Quick Picks.  By definition.

Isn't a quick pick by definition quickly or easily picked numbers?

Numbers picked without a thought as to a system?

A box on the slip or a button on the machine that

triggers a perceived random number generator

is called a quick pick, simply because it is easy and quick.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: January 23, 2010, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

Isn't a quick pick by definition quickly or easily picked numbers?

Numbers picked without a thought as to a system?

A box on the slip or a button on the machine that

triggers a perceived random number generator

is called a quick pick, simply because it is easy and quick.

Since some states have AP (auto pick) on their tickets where others have QP (quick pick), they mean the same thing - combinations randomly picked automatically by the terminals.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2010, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

What can you do with a real bad quick pick

what can you do with a real bad quick pick

what can you do with a real bad quick pick

ear-lye in the mornin'

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Georgia
        United States
        Member #79361
        August 30, 2009
        93 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2010, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

A good quick pick is really strange numbers.

Like the one I just got. 2-9-32-33-38

I would normally space things out.

One from each set of tens.

pick4hawk's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif

United States
          Member #19982
          August 9, 2005
          226 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2010, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Interesting--I have been wondering what type of fillters should be added to Rng. RNGS must be keyed or rather seeded somehow. What if you want your choice of another RNG to use other than that which is supplied with your computer language--Which of the many algorithms out there would you choose to use?

How would you choose to seed it?

Should the LP quick pick have fillters added to it?

HAWK

*We may see something that isn’t there because of what we expect to see

Or conversely, we may not see something because we don’t expect to see it.*

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8364 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2010, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Interesting--I have been wondering what type of fillters should be added to Rng. RNGS must be keyed or rather seeded somehow. What if you want your choice of another RNG to use other than that which is supplied with your computer language--Which of the many algorithms out there would you choose to use?

How would you choose to seed it?

Should the LP quick pick have fillters added to it?

HAWK

Todd explained what an RNG is if you applied a filter to it it would be like a self pick.

A random number generator (often abbreviated as RNG) is a computational or physical device designed to generate a sequence of numbers or symbols that lack any pattern, i.e. appear random. Hardware-based systems for random number generation are widely used, but often fall short of this goal, though they may meet some of the statistical tests for randomness intended to ensure that they do not have any easily discernible patterns.

Methods for generating random results have existed since ancient times, including dice, coin flipping, the shuffling of playing cards, the use of yarrow stalks (by divination) in the I Ching, and many other techniques.
            The many applications of randomness have led to many different methods for generating random data. These methods may vary as to how unpredictable or statistically random they are, and how quickly they can generate random numbers.

Before the advent of computational random number generators, generating large amounts of sufficiently random numbers (important in statistics) required a lot of work. Results would sometimes be collected and distributed as random number tables.
            A growing number of government-run lotteries, and lottery games, are using RNGs instead of more traditional drawing methods, such as using ping-pong or rubber balls.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
              four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8364 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2010, 1:39 pm - IP Logged
              What you might want to do is select a wheel to play and input those numbers you think might win or start with all the numbers and filter out the ones you don't think will show up in the draw.

Mega millions select 5 numbers from 1 to 56

Powerball select 5 numbers from 1 to 59

An RNG for these games will only select 5 numbers for each line not a series of numbers grater than 5 individual numbers.

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
                Queens, NY
                United States
                Member #245
                April 15, 2002
                451 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2010, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

What makes a Good Quick Pick: One that Wins!

PS: It doesn't matter How the Quick Pick was arrived at as long as it Wins!

I Agree!

It's not the quick pick, its the drawing that matches the QP that counts. Wink

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                  Beautiful Florida
                  United States
                  Member #5709
                  July 18, 2004
                  20122 Posts
                  Posted: January 25, 2010, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

One that you don't throw away....!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

United States
                    Member #19982
                    August 9, 2005
                    226 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2010, 8:44 am - IP Logged

Todd explained what an RNG is if you applied a filter to it it would be like a self pick.

A random number generator (often abbreviated as RNG) is a computational or physical device designed to generate a sequence of numbers or symbols that lack any pattern, i.e. appear random. Hardware-based systems for random number generation are widely used, but often fall short of this goal, though they may meet some of the statistical tests for randomness intended to ensure that they do not have any easily discernible patterns.

Methods for generating random results have existed since ancient times, including dice, coin flipping, the shuffling of playing cards, the use of yarrow stalks (by divination) in the I Ching, and many other techniques.
                    The many applications of randomness have led to many different methods for generating random data. These methods may vary as to how unpredictable or statistically random they are, and how quickly they can generate random numbers.

Before the advent of computational random number generators, generating large amounts of sufficiently random numbers (important in statistics) required a lot of work. Results would sometimes be collected and distributed as random number tables.
                    A growing number of government-run lotteries, and lottery games, are using RNGs instead of more traditional drawing methods, such as using ping-pong or rubber balls.

What exactly would wrong with the LP quick pick being able to print only 3 even 2 odd if I wanted it to.

Would that be so unrandom to people. The genuine quick pick terminal at the the store doesn't have that choice.

Hawk

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5614 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2010, 9:33 am - IP Logged

What exactly would wrong with the LP quick pick being able to print only 3 even 2 odd if I wanted it to.

Would that be so unrandom to people. The genuine quick pick terminal at the the store doesn't have that choice.

Hawk

It wouldn't be totally random if the RNG has filters.

Now, I have been using LP's RNG, but I also decide which lines to play off of it. For example, for Tx Lotto, it's a 6/54 game. There are 6 decades in the matrix, but most draws only 4 decades play, (singles, teens, 20's 40's just for example). So I pick which line fits the filter of playing 4 decades. Obviously, this is not totally random, but it allows me to have some randomness along with playing what happens more frequently in the draws.

I rarely play QP's from the lottery terminal (except for the pool at work) because I don't want to get a weird combination that has a low probability of being drawn. Once they print a QP at the terminal, you can't cancel it and get another one, at least here in Tx.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8364 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2010, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Hawk

A RNG is only going to print these types of tickets
                        5 even numbers
                        5 odd numbers
                        4 even numbers 1 odd number
                        4 odd numbers 1 even number
                        3 even numbers 2 odd numbers
                        3 odd numbers 2 even numbers

No you don't get to chose what sequence they are printed if you did then it wouldn't be random. I suppose someone with computer skills could create such a program but then it wouldn't be a true random number generator.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                          Member #47420
                          November 4, 2006
                          3930 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2010, 11:41 am - IP Logged

I hit a QP once for 350.00..That was a good one..If you win it's a good QP and if you lose it's a bad QP,right?..What am I missing here?..Am I not understanding the question?..

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8364 Posts
                            Posted: January 26, 2010, 11:46 am - IP Logged

I hit a QP once for 350.00..That was a good one..If you win it's a good QP and if you lose it's a bad QP,right?..What am I missing here?..Am I not understanding the question?..

pick4hawk is asking a question regarding a modified RNG where you get to select the sequence of numbers that are printed out.

United States
                              Member #19982
                              August 9, 2005
                              226 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2010, 9:15 am - IP Logged
                              A RNG is only going to print these types of tickets
                              5 even numbers
                              5 odd numbers
                              4 even numbers 1 odd number
                              4 odd numbers 1 even number
                              3 even numbers 2 odd numbers
                              3 odd numbers 2 even numbers

No you don't get to chose what sequence they are printed if you did then it wouldn't be random. I suppose someone with computer skills could create such a program but then it wouldn't be a true random number generator.

If the numbers are chosen by TPRGN is not a table type of RNG. So wouldn't you just be putting limits upon a truely random stream. AS long as the rng is always rekeyed continually with new input seed.

HAWK