Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anonymity

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 7 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
Miami
United States
Member #62793
July 9, 2008
673 Posts
Posted: January 29, 2010, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

This story about the missing Lotto winner here in Florida has me freaked out. Other than saying an emphatic "NO!" to all the freeloaders, I'm wondering what else Mr. Shakespeare could've done differently. I'm vehemently opposed to the Lottery releasing the names of winners who wish to remain anonymous. Even if you don't tell anyone, any con artist (and FL is full of them) can find you.

The question then is, what do you do when you win? What does forming a trust do for you? What's a blind trust? Do you send a lawyer to collect? Who in their right mind would trust a lawyer with that much money?

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49642 Posts
    Posted: January 29, 2010, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

This story about the missing Lotto winner here in Florida has me freaked out. Other than saying an emphatic "NO!" to all the freeloaders, I'm wondering what else Mr. Shakespeare could've done differently. I'm vehemently opposed to the Lottery releasing the names of winners who wish to remain anonymous. Even if you don't tell anyone, any con artist (and FL is full of them) can find you.

The question then is, what do you do when you win? What does forming a trust do for you? What's a blind trust? Do you send a lawyer to collect? Who in their right mind would trust a lawyer with that much money?

Apparently not freaked out enough to use the Lottery Post Forums Search: All of the Topics above have been discussed on Lottery Post Many Many Times Before and can be viewed at your leisure.

http://www.lotterypost.com/search?q=%22blind+trust%22&t=all

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
      Member #47420
      November 4, 2006
      3930 Posts
      Posted: January 29, 2010, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

When you claim it in a blind trust I've been told you really gotta know what your doing so watch out..Am I wrong?..

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: January 29, 2010, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

When you claim it in a blind trust I've been told you really gotta know what your doing so watch out..Am I wrong?..

You would have to know what your privacy, etc. goals are. The lawyer can tell you which means is best, for doing so.

There are plenty of (generic) legal info sites to familiarize yourself with the different terms and legal vehicles people use and what each type is suited for.

Just remember that when you get down to details, your state will have some different rules than other states - e.g. some states lets winners claim anonymously, some allow a lawyer to claim for you, and at least one state let's you claim and take your "picture" behind a big Smiley smiley-face.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5588 Posts
          Posted: January 29, 2010, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

Look,

This poor guy lost his life not because he didn't stay anonymous. He got stupid hanging around his buddies from the hood. He gave out money like it was candy. In short, he hung with bad people to start with.

If I win big, I'm not too worried about being anonymous. I just won't flaunt it and I won't hang out with hoods. Hell, I don't hang out with anybody now, so that ain't gonna change. Just be smart, that's all.

When someone wins a jackpot here in Tx, they publish the name and where the tic was bought, and that pretty much is the end of it.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: January 29, 2010, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

rcbbuckeye makes sense to me..

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: January 30, 2010, 12:41 am - IP Logged

I would like to ask all of you to email the Florida lottery and the Governor of Florida and raise the issue of anonymity.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

CA
                United States
                Member #84266
                December 26, 2009
                410 Posts
                Posted: January 30, 2010, 1:01 am - IP Logged

I personally wouldn't trust anyone but myself to claim. And I'll make sure I stay anonymous for as long as possible.

Miami
                  United States
                  Member #62793
                  July 9, 2008
                  673 Posts
                  Posted: January 30, 2010, 3:56 am - IP Logged

Apparently not freaked out enough to use the Lottery Post Forums Search: All of the Topics above have been discussed on Lottery Post Many Many Times Before and can be viewed at your leisure.

http://www.lotterypost.com/search?q=%22blind+trust%22&t=all

Um, yeah, thanks Raven. I know what the search feature is. I'm sure there are many threads that could go without posting if we all searched more topics. Sometimes I want to have my own conversation, though. I hope that's okay.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49642 Posts
                    Posted: January 30, 2010, 8:15 am - IP Logged

Um, yeah, thanks Raven. I know what the search feature is. I'm sure there are many threads that could go without posting if we all searched more topics. Sometimes I want to have my own conversation, though. I hope that's okay.

The road to knowledge is not always an easy one!

Previous threads on the Topic You are Interested In contain Information that You want to know and may not see repeated in new discussion.

Think of the LP Archive as a Discussion with Remarkable Lottery Minds!

Best of Luck,

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      CA
                      United States
                      Member #57222
                      December 23, 2007
                      587 Posts
                      Posted: January 30, 2010, 9:54 am - IP Logged

I was thinking the same thing.  Even California said they have to release your name.  But I called them DIRECTLY   and was told that NO its advertised but you can indeed remain anonymous.

My concern is the advice to get a Financial Planner or Advisor.  With all the Bernie Madoffs out there,  who is to say they won't try to steal the money under the umbrella of protection and safe investments?

When I win the SLP I will simply put it in a CDARS account. ( providing banks dont go bankrupt) I won't need my money to grow huge,  just provide a nice nest egg, pay for my house being built, a few (anonymous) gifts to famlity and charities.  I will have no problem living with the measily 2 or 3% interest I'd get from banks.  If for some reason I couldn't claim anonymously, I would find a lawyer, pay them a SINGLE fee to set up my LLC or Blind trust where only I or my husband wll be the trustor and beneficiary.

Of course, all of this is off the top of my head-however I plan to research exactly how its done.  Trust me  noone will know.  Even now,  my brother nor my sisters even know my address.  It can be done.

Have you noticed all the lottery stories we read or see TV  specials about are pretty much the same people?  Think of the thousands of lottery winners out there that we don't know about ($1m or more)  it can be done.  When you win Nino224,  just be careful and trust NO one.  YOU dont change when you win,  THEY do.

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: January 30, 2010, 10:50 am - IP Logged

I would love to have the problem of winning millions and hiding for the rest of my life..I have no problem with it at all...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10345 Posts
                          Posted: January 30, 2010, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I'll say it again, it's time for a Jackpot Winners Protection Program.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
                            Sunny California
                            United States
                            Member #63790
                            August 8, 2008
                            220 Posts
                            Posted: January 30, 2010, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

LottoCalGal, just a few weeks ago when that guy won the $8 million dollar jackpot they posted his story on the cal lottery website and he said he would like to remain anonymous and they didn't post his name. I always save those type of articles on my computer so just in case I win the jackpot they can't deny me the chance to stay anonymous.

Miami
                              United States
                              Member #62793
                              July 9, 2008
                              673 Posts
                              Posted: January 30, 2010, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

The road to knowledge is not always an easy one!

Previous threads on the Topic You are Interested In contain Information that You want to know and may not see repeated in new discussion.

Think of the LP Archive as a Discussion with Remarkable Lottery Minds!

Best of Luck,

But the one to happiness is!

Somebody has control issues. I know what it is, and what it contains. I'll use IT in addition to my own brainstorming efforts.

Good day, madame!