Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anonymity

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 7 years ago by myturn.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
Miami
United States
Member #62793
July 9, 2008
673 Posts
Posted: January 30, 2010, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

I'll say it again, it's time for a Jackpot Winners Protection Program.

YASS, YASS!!

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Miami
    United States
    Member #62793
    July 9, 2008
    673 Posts
    Posted: January 30, 2010, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

I was thinking the same thing.  Even California said they have to release your name.  But I called them DIRECTLY   and was told that NO its advertised but you can indeed remain anonymous.

My concern is the advice to get a Financial Planner or Advisor.  With all the Bernie Madoffs out there,  who is to say they won't try to steal the money under the umbrella of protection and safe investments?

When I win the SLP I will simply put it in a CDARS account. ( providing banks dont go bankrupt) I won't need my money to grow huge,  just provide a nice nest egg, pay for my house being built, a few (anonymous) gifts to famlity and charities.  I will have no problem living with the measily 2 or 3% interest I'd get from banks.  If for some reason I couldn't claim anonymously, I would find a lawyer, pay them a SINGLE fee to set up my LLC or Blind trust where only I or my husband wll be the trustor and beneficiary.

Of course, all of this is off the top of my head-however I plan to research exactly how its done.  Trust me  noone will know.  Even now,  my brother nor my sisters even know my address.  It can be done.

Have you noticed all the lottery stories we read or see TV  specials about are pretty much the same people?  Think of the thousands of lottery winners out there that we don't know about ($1m or more)  it can be done.  When you win Nino224,  just be careful and trust NO one.  YOU dont change when you win,  THEY do.

Great idea calling them directly.

An even greater idea is not giving siblings your address. I may do that even if I don't win! LOL!

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10345 Posts
      Posted: January 30, 2010, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if just for the press conference someone could use a name like

A. Nonee Muss or something similar!

"In California today, a person named A. Nonee Muss was presented with a jackpot check...."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Miami
        United States
        Member #62793
        July 9, 2008
        673 Posts
        Posted: January 30, 2010, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

"In California today, a person named A. Nonee Muss was presented with a jackpot check...."

I'm using that. I hope you don't mind.

United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10345 Posts
          Posted: January 30, 2010, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm using that. I hope you don't mind.

No problem!

Maybe it could be the name of choice for the Jackpot Winners ProtectionProgram!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

New York,
            Panama
            Member #73078
            April 4, 2009
            3490 Posts
            Posted: January 30, 2010, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Big SmileROFL I am Loving it!!! too funny

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: January 30, 2010, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Please email your state lottery and raise the issue of anonymity. Inform them that you have read about this tragic case and can not understand why winners are required to go pubic. We the people must start a campaign to require all state lotteries to give winners the option. It works very well in other countries, such as Australia and the UK.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: January 30, 2010, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

Look,

This poor guy lost his life not because he didn't stay anonymous. He got stupid hanging around his buddies from the hood. He gave out money like it was candy. In short, he hung with bad people to start with.

If I win big, I'm not too worried about being anonymous. I just won't flaunt it and I won't hang out with hoods. Hell, I don't hang out with anybody now, so that ain't gonna change. Just be smart, that's all.

When someone wins a jackpot here in Tx, they publish the name and where the tic was bought, and that pretty much is the end of it.

Anonymity may not have saved him, but he certainly would have been far better off. When lottery winners are identified there is enormous pressure on them to solve all the financial problems of their family and friends; and many go broke trying.

Allowing winners anonymity takes that pressure of winners. At the very lease, there should be a 90 day cooling off period before names are released, so winners can get their affairs in order.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                  Member #32537
                  February 12, 2006
                  698 Posts
                  Posted: January 30, 2010, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

besides my parents knowing, who i make sure to seal their lips and never tell a soul

i dont see why anyone else has to know how you got so  rich

move to a nice house where all the rich people live in your state

tell them you do finance consulting for major companys, and refuse to name names and what you get paid m

as the cilents Privacy is #1

people will respect that, and you get away with just being a rich guy in finance, 

blending in at it bests

as for friends, mail them anonymous checks form some random trust account, or something,

and to miss with them,

say your the  prince of nigeria  and your giving them money with no stings attached,

That will keep them confused for a good while

trusts and tax lawyers can handle the dirty work of covering up names behind Money, they been doing it for years

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10345 Posts
                    Posted: January 30, 2010, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

joshuacloak

" i dont see why anyone else has to know how you got so  rich

move to a nice house where all the rich people live in your state

tell them you do finance consulting for major companys, and refuse to name names and what you get paid m

as the cilents Privacy is #1

people will respect that, and you get away with just being a rich guy in finance,"

I don't think that would be that easy. "Old money" can sniff out the "nouveau riche" and treat them differently. Especially in the case of lottery winners, who did not earn it.

Lep

NightTrain1234's avatar - 8ball
                      a Powerball AND MegaMillions state!
                      United States
                      Member #24190
                      October 20, 2005
                      78 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2010, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Those of us obsessed with the lottery results (like me) tend to forget, there are many other rich people out there in the world, such as, athletes, singers, business men/women who don't get to remain anonymous.   They just learn how to blend in (outside of their jobs) with others and also how to say no to people who ask for money.

I think these state lottery commissions need to do a better job of educating big winners how to function after striking it rich and perhaps we will then have less horror stories of jackpot winners spending their money fast, having stalkers, etc.

United States
                        Member #83701
                        December 13, 2009
                        225 Posts
                        Posted: January 31, 2010, 3:14 am - IP Logged

This story about the missing Lotto winner here in Florida has me freaked out. Other than saying an emphatic "NO!" to all the freeloaders, I'm wondering what else Mr. Shakespeare could've done differently. I'm vehemently opposed to the Lottery releasing the names of winners who wish to remain anonymous. Even if you don't tell anyone, any con artist (and FL is full of them) can find you.

The question then is, what do you do when you win? What does forming a trust do for you? What's a blind trust? Do you send a lawyer to collect? Who in their right mind would trust a lawyer with that much money?

A trust would simply make it less obvious as to who you are.   A lawyer for estate planning would be a good idea and I do know of one that would do quite nicely, if you don't know of a lawyer to trust before hand then it may be best to go with a large law and accountancy firm instead.   Once you win, you need to first be hard to find till all the publicity dies down and establish a path to defer requests for philanthropy to much as a celebrity would defer fans to their agent, you need to be able to have someone filter out the more dubious requests for help and set a limit as to how much philanthropy you would do in a given time frame.

Sounds like Mr Shakespeare was alone and simply allowed the wrong type of people to gain his trust.   With his behaviour on the Youtube video, I wouldn't be surprised if that so called girl friend of his plied him with drugs to keep him off his game.   What he could've done was to take more control of his life rather than look for someone to do so for him.

I think forming a trust and corporations would really be for tax reasons and perhaps to filter out the casual hucksters that don't know how to look up the beneficiaries of a trust in the public records.  Trusts and corporations are to con artists as car alarms and the club are to car thieves, encouragement to seek easier prey.

It seems that Mr. Shakespeare didn't fall into the hands of a particularly competent scam artist but merely an opportunistic one as well as a fairly unattractive one at that.   He probably would've benefited from the obfuscation of identity that a trust would've provided and a visit to Rio to meet some Brazilian women.

The fella who wrote the book "Take Your Money and Run" created a trust owned by bearer bonds and had the trust own a corporation, both the trust and corporation were in separate countries and hence would require judgments in multiple jurisdictions to remove the veil of anonymity and as the trust was simply owned by whomever could present the bearer bonds, he secretly destroyed the bearer bonds so that no one could ever take the trust away from him, the directors of the trust did whatever he asked because as far as they knew, he could always produce the bonds and take the trust away from them and the corporation did whatever the trust directed so all the houses and yachts were owned by the corporation, and he lived off a corporate credit card from the corporation secure in the knowledge that it could never be proven that he was indeed the owner of the trust and thus could never be taxed by the country he was in which of course is not the country that the trust or corporation is in.

However, should I ever be fortunate enough to have a big win, I would probably not risk something stupid like losing the lottery ticket in the wash or having it stolen happen and hence would sign it and claim the prize asap just to lock in the financial security.   I would worry about obfuscating my identity later by extended vacations and a firm rule of "speak to my lawyer." responses.

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                          MICHIGAN
                          United States
                          Member #65282
                          September 22, 2008
                          1992 Posts
                          Posted: January 31, 2010, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Keep it on the DOWNLOW! No one better than yourself would know how u want to divide your MONEY

I would make a list and stick to it.  You don't have to have a attorney to do that. I would not INVEST

right now the markets r to ify.

LIVE the LIFE you LOVE......LOVE the LIFE you LIVE

Bob MarleyCheers

Bay Shore , NY
                            United States
                            Member #86236
                            February 1, 2010
                            9 Posts
                            Posted: February 1, 2010, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

The whole thing with the Lotto releasing names is that is the ONLY way for everyone to know that people ACTUALLY win the Lotto. Do all your homework if you happen to win the Lotto and everything should be fine, if not, DON'T play the Lotto. Its as simple as that. :)

Bondi Junction
                              Australia
                              Member #57242
                              December 24, 2007
                              1102 Posts
                              Posted: February 1, 2010, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

I wrote to my state lottery........

Dear Florida Lottery:
                              I found the above story of lottery winner, Abraham Shakespeare, whose body was found buried under a concrete slab in a rural backyard, very disturbing. It is time that US state lotteries allowed winners to remain anonymous. It works very well in other countries, such as Australia and the UK.

When lottery winners are identified there is enormous pressure on them to solve all the financial problems of their family and friends; and many go broke trying. Allowing winners anonymity takes that pressure of winners. At the very least, there should be a 90 day cooling off period before names are released, so winners have a breathing space and can get their affairs in order.

I do hope you will consider allowing winners to retain their anonymity, otherwise, I fear we will read more tragic stories. Thank you for your time.