Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your State Now Having Both Powerball And Mega Millions

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 7 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How Will Having Both Jackpot Games In Your State Affect Your Usual Wagers?

i'll bet both of them most of the time now [ 34 ]  [42.50%]
bet my usual game and bet the other sometimes [ 15 ]  [18.75%]
haven't figured it out yet [ 9 ]  [11.25%]
bet one game one draw and the other the next draw [ 3 ]  [3.75%]
other [ 19 ]  [23.75%]
Total Valid Votes [ 80 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2010, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

My permanent address is in Virginia and I am studying in Georgia, both of which have both games now. I have no intention of playing either game on any kind of frequent basis because the payouts for the lower prizes are completely unfair. I might play one of the two if the jackpot gets very high, though. If I do play, I invariably pick the Pick 3 because it is much easier to win the top prize and the payouts are completely fair.

Payouts are completely fair on P3?

If they paid for 2 numbers I'd be the richest dadgum stump jumpin', sod bustin', ridge runnin', biscuit eatin', redneck, hillbilly, whiskey drinkin', trailer livin',  white trash son of a <snip> in East Tennessee!

Dadgum Straight!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
    Illinois
    United States
    Member #82001
    November 3, 2009
    890 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2010, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

I think I'll have more fun playing the lottery with more drawings per week.

Actually I think there may be some lottery fatigue with so many drawings a week. Regular players won't be spending more, just spreading the money around different games.

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
      Vancouver, WA
      United States
      Member #53665
      July 15, 2007
      151 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2010, 2:31 am - IP Logged

Living in Washington, I normally play Mega Millions.  I played Powerball in Oregon when the jackpot got really big.  Now that both are available in Washington, I don't have to make a special trip to Oregon.  In regards to the poll, I picked "Other" since I will still play both games, but will limit my play to whichever games has the higher jackpot.  So, as of today, I am playing only Powerball since Mega Millions was just won.

Don't get me wrong, winning MM at the low level is still a wonderful prize, but if I am going to win a JP, I want it to be a "Whopper" haha

Illinois
        United States
        Member #82001
        November 3, 2009
        890 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2010, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

Living in Washington, I normally play Mega Millions.  I played Powerball in Oregon when the jackpot got really big.  Now that both are available in Washington, I don't have to make a special trip to Oregon.  In regards to the poll, I picked "Other" since I will still play both games, but will limit my play to whichever games has the higher jackpot.  So, as of today, I am playing only Powerball since Mega Millions was just won.

Don't get me wrong, winning MM at the low level is still a wonderful prize, but if I am going to win a JP, I want it to be a "Whopper" haha

Today I was in a store and overheard the staff talking about trying to sale off some $3 in mistake tickets for MM so i told them i will buy even though it's only 20m jackpot. Somebody probably wanted to buy the PB instead but I am hoping to cash in big time on it Big Smile

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
          Member #32537
          February 12, 2006
          698 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2010, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

overall i think it make me spend much more,

when both jackpots are below 100m, i just spend 1 buck on each, aka pocket change

once we get above 100m, i tend to spend anymore form 2 to  5$,  record draws i go up to 30+ bucks per draw

so it wont effect my wallet more,

onless Both get to record highs, then  i no doubt be spending  a lot more over the year then if i just had 1 game to play

Indiana
            United States
            Member #79479
            September 2, 2009
            42 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2010, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I was playing $5 per draw on PB. I will now split it, $3 PB and $2 MM.

LottoPools's avatar - bee
              Houston, TX
              United States
              Member #4496
              April 29, 2004
              71 Posts
              Posted: February 9, 2010, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

I will probably play both equally.  If I start feeling like I'm spending too much money, I'll cut back to only playing whichever is higher.  I only play Lotto TX when it's big.

For my pools, I'll play whichever one the pool was set up to play unless one is a great deal larger than the other.  This is, however, causing me to buy tickets more often for the pools.  I used to buy them for five draws at a time; now I may have to buy them for just two draws at a time to monitor the jackpot size.

Playing together to make a splash in the pool of lottery winners.  It's just a matter of time.

Grovel's avatar - f800e6a39fbfea795d1dcbb09f2244
                Little Rock, AR
                United States
                Member #68365
                December 19, 2008
                241 Posts
                Posted: February 9, 2010, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

I am going to play them both equally.

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                  Northern Virginia
                  United States
                  Member #83350
                  December 5, 2009
                  1315 Posts
                  Posted: February 9, 2010, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Payouts are completely fair on P3?

If they paid for 2 numbers I'd be the richest dadgum stump jumpin', sod bustin', ridge runnin', biscuit eatin', redneck, hillbilly, whiskey drinkin', trailer livin',  white trash son of a <snip> in East Tennessee!

Dadgum Straight!

Okay ... let me rephrase that. In the Pick-3, you win 50% and the lottery keeps 50%. If the lottery gave you everything it could not survive. This is why I think 50% is a very fair payout for a win.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: February 9, 2010, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Okay ... let me rephrase that. In the Pick-3, you win 50% and the lottery keeps 50%. If the lottery gave you everything it could not survive. This is why I think 50% is a very fair payout for a win.

Well all righty then, LOL.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                      Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                      United States
                      Member #54079
                      August 3, 2007
                      106 Posts
                      Posted: February 10, 2010, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

The problem with both Powerball and MM is that they both draw money from the states' games--for those states that have jackpot games--as the multi state games tend to develop higher jackpots.  Less of this money stays within the state to support the programs funded by state lotteries. 

The other thing is that Powerball tends to return less money to its players per dollar wagered than does Mega Millions--less bang for your buck.  The latest Powerball winner won $47 million after taxes on a jackpot of $141 million.  In most Mega Million States--the same $141 million jackpot in a Mega Millions game would have resulted in a Jackpot somewhere around $58 to $61 million after appropriate taxes.  I don't have the math for those states that don't tax lottery winnings at all but somone living in one of those states can do the math and post if they are so minded.

I just wish that I wasn't controlled by greed so much--otherwise I would play my own states' Lotto game more often--as it is--I play the Mega game and not much else.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                        Member #32537
                        February 12, 2006
                        698 Posts
                        Posted: February 12, 2010, 9:42 am - IP Logged

"The problem with both Powerball and MM is that they both draw moneyfrom the states' games--for those states that have jackpot games--asthe multi state games tend to develop higher jackpots.  Less of thismoney stays within the state to support the programs funded by statelotterie"

Auntie, your just Wrong on so many levels

will all due repect, 50% of pb and mm money GOES right to the state

quote form powerball game:

Someone buys a ticket for $1. We take that $1 and set aside 50 cents for the lottery (money for the state lottery's costs - retailers,advertising, computer system, etc.) and for the lottery's good causes that the state lawmakers have established.

The remaining 50 cents is put into the prize pools. Powerball puts 30 cents into the CASH jackpot pool and 20 cents into the other lowerprize level pools. So, if we sold one ticket, we announce to the world that the CASH jackpot is at 30 cents.

must states DO THE SAME for their own state ONLY games, 

they take 50% right off the top of the game,  a few cents goes to  retailers/costs

, the rest goes right into whatever the lotto funds are to support/whatever programs funded by  your lotto

the other 50% goes into what we call"prize pools" that is the money that people win

YOU ARE NOT LOSING  money for your state by playing MM/PB  OVER a STATE LOTTO GAME

just playing your STATE only lotto game is the same money to them as you playing mm/pb

its all the same to them in porfits!

pb and mm is just a A other "profitable" game to sell,     

the turth is, each state keeps the profits they make off of the tickets they sell in their state

they just "share the prize pool"

its thats simple,

people seem to get confused on the "share prize pool" thats the only MONEY that goes out of your state

they dont share profits, all profits stay in your STATE, for the tickets they sell

take your state lotto game, and pretend

the other states Clone it, and  all we do is "share the money that goes into 1 BIG muti state "prize pool" to boost sales for your state, sense BIGER jackpots make the must sales happen

pb and MM are in FACT THE MUST PROFITABLE games for your states

sense when the jackpots go high, NONETHING sells  as more or makes the more profits for ALL the states

like these games do for your  state

so for god sakes people, stop bashing mm or pb being bad for your state only game

, its the best thing your state lotto has going for it

so next time that idea of dont play the big muti state games, it takes away money form your state pops, up

CRUSH IT, its a lie, a misunderstanding of  lotto profits

they made these muti state games to be the flag ship profit game for all the states

thats why a lot of people in the lotto business created these muti state games,

they know "muti state games that share"the same prize pool" makes for the best sales for them selfs"

trust me, if these muti state games hurt the lotto funding for your state, they would of never BE MADE, or joined

now for the few that only want people in your state to win jackpots

, have fun with small jackpots and low profits for your lotto!

the muti state lotto games pb and mm should be repected as the Kings of profits for your own state!

tweak's avatar - i307m
                          Hudson County , NJ
                          United States
                          Member #18866
                          July 21, 2005
                          75 Posts
                          Posted: February 12, 2010, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

our office lottery pool is a little stretched now. we went from 25 tickets tuesday and friday to 12 for each powerball and mega million, then the remaining 2 dollars for the state lotto Monday and thursday. it also messed up the spreadsheet i use to manage the pool because it wont calculate powerball numbers,so we're going back to making copies for those. its a little annoying,but worth the shot because we dont change the numbers

"I've never been so sure of anything in my life. I AM GOING TO WIN THIS LOTTERY!
                          Homer... The odds the 380,000,000 to 1...
                          CORRECTION!! 380,000,000 to 50!!"
                          - The Simpsons

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #55889
                            October 23, 2007
                            5600 Posts
                            Posted: February 12, 2010, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

I play them both. The only change is that I used to megaply MM every draw, but lately, I haven't played the powerplay or megaplier. I also teamed up with a co worker once a week on MM. I pick numbers and play all the numbers in the matrix. Costs $12 and we each kick in $6.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Illinois
                              United States
                              Member #82001
                              November 3, 2009
                              890 Posts
                              Posted: February 12, 2010, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Got to say I am not too impressed so far with jackpot sizes for either games. Especially with PB obly going from 20 to 25 mil. sheesh