Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:16 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your State Now Having Both Powerball And Mega Millions

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 7 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How Will Having Both Jackpot Games In Your State Affect Your Usual Wagers?

i'll bet both of them most of the time now [ 34 ]  [42.50%]
bet my usual game and bet the other sometimes [ 15 ]  [18.75%]
haven't figured it out yet [ 9 ]  [11.25%]
bet one game one draw and the other the next draw [ 3 ]  [3.75%]
other [ 19 ]  [23.75%]
Total Valid Votes [ 80 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
Illinois
United States
Member #82001
November 3, 2009
890 Posts
Posted: February 3, 2010, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

kinda disappointed that pot isn't getting any bigger. PB went from 107 to 115 since Sunday but was expecting increments to be more especailly on a 100 m pot. Maybe need to do more advertising fro casual players.

Angel19's avatar - disney25
    nashville n.c.
    United States
    Member #78433
    August 14, 2009
    1547 Posts
    Posted: February 3, 2010, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

N.C. just  got mm this week. The first draw i bought a qp with megaplier..nothing..lol..So, i wont be playing that again until the jackpot is higher and  powerball i  rarely play anyways..So it wont affect my spending habits that much at all.. I'll stick with pick 3 and 4

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #21206
      September 4, 2005
      949 Posts
      Posted: February 3, 2010, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

I live on a border, and have always had the option of playing either or both.   I'm about 8 miles from the border.

I play them based on their cash expectation value, meaning I tend to play less Powerball because the odds are longer and the cash/annuity ratio is much lower.

I play powerball when it's over 50M annuity, and Megamillions when it's over $35M annuity.

I will continue to do the same.

I hope that both games will continue and that any national game will be an additional game.   If they try to make a game that has something like 1 in 600,000,000 odds, I will almost certainly be free of the already irrational scourge of playing the lottery if they cancel MM and PB at the same time.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1958 Posts
        Posted: February 3, 2010, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

kinda disappointed that pot isn't getting any bigger. PB went from 107 to 115 since Sunday but was expecting increments to be more especailly on a 100 m pot. Maybe need to do more advertising fro casual players.

Up to now, Powerball's jackpot has rarely been updated. This is a rare event but because there are a lot more players this drawing, the jackpot was increased from $107M to $115M. Also, the jackpot amount is estimated, it's not an exact amount. The jackpot amount advertised is no indication that the jackpot isn't getting bigger. For example, the record Mega Millions jackpot was estimated and advertised to be $370M, but when all was said and done, it had actually went to $390M.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1958 Posts
          Posted: February 3, 2010, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

See that. $116M.

Gonna win.Big Smile

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
            Member #32537
            February 12, 2006
            698 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2010, 2:20 am - IP Logged

i see your 116m, and rise you 140m!

,  even thro, am guesting it be much more then 140m by the end of the draw

they sure are being very conservative with their jackpots numbers

, they just dont know how many tickets they will sell with these 10 new states added  in yet

i bet you we could see 150m jackpot   update near the the draw

sense MM down for the count atm"low jackpot"  ,pb, now your time take all our money for your self! rofl

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7344 Posts
              Posted: February 4, 2010, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Illinois has had Mega Millions and added Powerball. We haven't heard a thing yet about the Megaplier but I'm thinking it might have to happen just to compete.

Right now the MM jackpoot is $15,000,000 and the PB is $115,000,000. The buck that would have went to MM will become the Powerplay on the PB.

Let's see, oh my head the pain.....$15 vs $115 million, and $250,000 for 5 + 0 vs $1,000,000.

Kind of a no brainer.

I realize there is that element that can't pass up a drawing and has to be "in action" regarldess of the jackpots, and either way the odds are astronomical, but right now PB is a lot more "bang for the buck".

Powerplay and Megaplier only affect the secondary prizes and since each state lottery is responsible for secondary prize payoffs, it may take some time until each state lottery has that option. It's going to be interesting to see if the lotteries get increased revenues by adding the extra high jackpot game or will it be about the same after their other games show a decline in play.

"Let's see, oh my head the pain.....$15 vs $115 million, and $250,000 for 5 + 0 vs $1,000,000."

Compare matching 5 numbers to playing your lottery's 6/49 game with cash values under $2 million. Even if the price of the ticket is $2, we're still playing for a cool million in every drawing.

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7344 Posts
                Posted: February 4, 2010, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Up to now, Powerball's jackpot has rarely been updated. This is a rare event but because there are a lot more players this drawing, the jackpot was increased from $107M to $115M. Also, the jackpot amount is estimated, it's not an exact amount. The jackpot amount advertised is no indication that the jackpot isn't getting bigger. For example, the record Mega Millions jackpot was estimated and advertised to be $370M, but when all was said and done, it had actually went to $390M.

I Agree! because it's going to be difficult estimating how much will be played in the new states. Within a couple months the estimate will be closer to the actual prize. Had MM estimated the jackpot at $400 million and the payoff was $390 million, eyebrows would be raised. Both MM and PB probably use lower estimates so players won't question where the rest of the money went.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10391 Posts
                  Posted: February 4, 2010, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Anyone else wondering if this all isn't a marketing test for an upcoming "LOTTO USA"?

I'd love to see that, but hatre to think of the matrix.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                    Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: February 4, 2010, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

Anyone else wondering if this all isn't a marketing test for an upcoming "LOTTO USA"?

I'd love to see that, but hatre to think of the matrix.

i was thinking that myself.they'll eventually merge into one huge lotto USA type of game or something down the line.there also might be a chance that eventually both games would want to go back to their respective states if things don't pan out.when i first heard that all the states were going to have both games i wondered why they tried this.i like that they did it but i wondered why they didn't do it sooner.....

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: February 4, 2010, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I don't think the matrix would be the biggest problem with a national lotto game.

I'm just afraid it'll be like the national healthcare plan where you have to participate or you get fined and thrown in prison.

I would hate that.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3502 Posts
                        Posted: February 4, 2010, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

It seems to me that you left out the most obvious and sensible choice: play whichever one has a bigger jackpot. If they're both really big I might play them both, but for the most part I'll just choose the bigger jackpot, though I'll probably also figure the odds into the decision. I'm roughly 10% more likely to win MM, so unless PB is at least 10% more there's no sensible reason to choose PB over MM.

Dawn32's avatar - DawnMarch2012
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #71646
                          March 1, 2009
                          204 Posts
                          Posted: February 4, 2010, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I am going to play both equally.  I like the idea too, now I can get my hopes up 4 times a week instead of 2 Big Smile.

"Bless me Lord, so that I may be a blessing to others."

Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #48725
                            January 7, 2007
                            1958 Posts
                            Posted: February 4, 2010, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

I think I'll have more fun playing the lottery with more drawings per week.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                              Northern Virginia
                              United States
                              Member #83350
                              December 5, 2009
                              1322 Posts
                              Posted: February 4, 2010, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

My permanent address is in Virginia and I am studying in Georgia, both of which have both games now. I have no intention of playing either game on any kind of frequent basis because the payouts for the lower prizes are completely unfair. I might play one of the two if the jackpot gets very high, though. If I do play, I invariably pick the Pick 3 because it is much easier to win the top prize and the payouts are completely fair.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!