Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions or Powerball will reach Half a Billion.

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 7 years ago by scorpio.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Will Mega Million or Powerball reach 500 Million this year?

Yes [ 21 ]  [25.61%]
Maybe [ 8 ]  [9.76%]
Not sure [ 3 ]  [3.66%]
No [ 50 ]  [60.98%]
Total Valid Votes [ 82 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  

United States
Member #1826
July 11, 2003
2645 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2010, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Highly unlikely, just too many players out there who could have winning tickets, especially now. But you never know, anything is possible.

(insert signature here)

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2010, 1:25 am - IP Logged

Not only is 500 million not going to happen, 300 million isn't going to happen either. It's the case of the incredible shrinking jackpots. Both jackpots are now smaller than games with half their odds (Canada's Lotto Max and Euromillions). Next year with the current set of clowns in office the amount you will get after tax will be much smaller still. It's long overdue to change the price of the tickets instead of the odds.

I would be surprised if either game breaks 265 even in this disappointing year.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1958 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2010, 1:29 am - IP Logged

Not only is 500 million not going to happen, 300 million isn't going to happen either. It's the case of the incredible shrinking jackpots. Both jackpots are now smaller than games with half their odds (Canada's Lotto Max and Euromillions). Next year with the current set of clowns in office the amount you will get after tax will be much smaller still. It's long overdue to change the price of the tickets instead of the odds.

I would be surprised if either game breaks 265 even in this disappointing year.

At least there will be more winners.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Angel19's avatar - disney25
        nashville n.c.
        United States
        Member #78433
        August 14, 2009
        1547 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2010, 2:06 am - IP Logged

Highly unlikely, just too many players out there who could have winning tickets, especially now. But you never know, anything is possible.

I agree...just too many people playing and odds are really in favor of players .

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
          West Side of Sunny Florida
          United States
          Member #55048
          September 8, 2007
          3371 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2010, 8:46 am - IP Logged

It should be interesting to see how FAST either one will grow with all the new states.

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2010, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

I'm doing everything within  my power to prevent it.

I may need a bailout soon.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
              Dallas, TX
              United States
              Member #60284
              April 12, 2008
              3856 Posts
              Posted: February 8, 2010, 4:36 am - IP Logged

It's going to hit a billion, Mega Million, and there will be about 8 winners. I just don't know when.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                Beautiful Florida
                United States
                Member #5709
                July 18, 2004
                20246 Posts
                Posted: February 8, 2010, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

It hasn't done this in the past, and I think it will be highly unlikely to reach that now since they've added more states.. 

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                  San Angelo, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #1097
                  January 31, 2003
                  1405 Posts
                  Posted: February 8, 2010, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

I thought it significant when a PB official went public saying the game expansion means more winners and smaller jackpots. Apparently, the powers to be don't forsee many really large jackpots. Of course, you never know.

I think the chance of a billion dollar jackpot will come when the new national game is implemented later this year.

I haven't heard or read any speculation about what the matrix will be, but the odds of winning will be probably be out of sight.

Also, the PB official said the cost to play, called game point, for the national game will be more than a dollar.

ohiopick3's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                    Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #3023
                    December 14, 2003
                    4172 Posts
                    Posted: February 12, 2010, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

With their matrix unchanged, there's no reason either game should have a jackpot any larger then they had in the past.  More people playing just means they will do what they've done in the past faster and more often.

RJOh said it pretty good. The jackpots will increase faster. That has already been seen so far. The more people in, the quicker a winner. When the jackpots get higher, the more probability for mutiple winners now as well. We'll seldomly see many Jackpots anywhere close to $300 million like we've seen in the past at times. But that can be a good thing too. More money, for more people faster. That would work for me.

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #21206
                      September 4, 2005
                      949 Posts
                      Posted: February 12, 2010, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

I have kept records of sales figures for a number of years, and have average sales for various numbers of rollovers in a file, coupled to a Poisson calculation of rollover probability.

It's early in this new number of players, but my figures seem to suggest that the lotteries are now selling about 1.3 times more than what they were before the addition of more states.

For powerball, under the smaller field size, based on averages, based on average sales - there is a pretty big standard deviation, admittedly on big rollovers - a $300M jackpot would require 15 to 16 draws and have a probability (at a first draw) of between 4% and 6%.

If the 1.3 ratio holds - it may not on bigger jackpots - it would seem to require 13 to 14 draws, and have an overall probability of somewhere, between 4% and 7%.

I suspect we will see $300M jackpots at least, and maybe some larger.

JADELottery's avatar - YingYangYong 01.PNG
                        The Quantum Master
                        West Concord, MN
                        United States
                        Member #21
                        December 7, 2001
                        3684 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Thank you everyone for your input.

It's nice to be on the full side of the glass, however, I can see the empty side too.

Let's hope for the big one anyway.

Good Luck Everyone.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
                        Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
                        Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
                        Knowledge is Beyond Belief
                        Wisdom is Not Censored
                        Douglas Paul Smallish
                        Jehocifer

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          6537 Posts
                          Posted: February 13, 2010, 2:36 am - IP Logged

It hasn't done this in the past, and I think it will be highly unlikely to reach that now since they've added more states.. 

I agree. I think the jackpots will be won more often. Not that I think that is a bad thing. I just don't think it is likely to reach $500 million

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                            Pittsburg, Ks
                            United States
                            Member #3382
                            January 17, 2004
                            83243 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

RJOh said it pretty good. The jackpots will increase faster. That has already been seen so far. The more people in, the quicker a winner. When the jackpots get higher, the more probability for mutiple winners now as well. We'll seldomly see many Jackpots anywhere close to $300 million like we've seen in the past at times. But that can be a good thing too. More money, for more people faster. That would work for me.

I bought my first Mega Million QP with Mega Plier today. I think I got a little excited coz I thought I would get to see my numbers Saturday nite until I looked on the Kansas Web site and saw Tuesday & Friday. (heavy sigh)

God Bless America

US Flag

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19902 Posts
                              Posted: February 14, 2010, 2:02 am - IP Logged

I bought my first Mega Million QP with Mega Plier today. I think I got a little excited coz I thought I would get to see my numbers Saturday nite until I looked on the Kansas Web site and saw Tuesday & Friday. (heavy sigh)

If you had looked at your ticket you would have known right away the day of its drawing.  Maybe you'll see your numbers Tuesday, good luck.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking