Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: Your bill is $6.66

Topic closed. 71 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jrosina.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Do you buy something else to change it, do you play it?

Read Rev 13:18 now! [ 1 ]  [1.49%]
That freaks me out [ 7 ]  [10.45%]
It's just a number [ 24 ]  [35.82%]
It's just a number muhahaha! [ 9 ]  [13.43%]
It's unlucky to be superstitious [ 2 ]  [2.99%]
Hey, it's lucky in China [ 4 ]  [5.97%]
I've played it [ 16 ]  [23.88%]
Can't play it [ 1 ]  [1.49%]
616 is worse* [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other [ 3 ]  [4.48%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #74096
May 2, 2009
22972 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2010, 2:04 am - IP Logged

Thank you rdgrnr, that's mighty creepy. I'm happy I'm nowhere near NM. I've seen some funny things but don't care to see any while I'm

driving.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10354 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2010, 2:15 am - IP Logged

I drove the NM part of 666 a couple times before they changed the number.

It's mostly in the Navajo Nation if I recall. Long, lonely, desolate drive thru the desert.  Didn't see any ghosts though! lol

Not the kind of place you'd want to break down in at night though.

Although not much of that area is a good place to break down anyway.

Yeah, rdgrnr, there's just something creepy about it all. The NM state troopers in the all black uniforms, the highway was numbered US 666, the legend of Tucumcari, all adds to it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
      Member #6363
      August 20, 2004
      4064 Posts
      Posted: February 12, 2010, 2:34 am - IP Logged

666 is associated with the anti-christ in the bible, but if you check, the bible also uses the number 666 for 2 other references that are not associate with the anti-christ or evil. So it is just a number.

Play it, it may bring you good luck.

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2010, 2:52 am - IP Logged

Yeah, rdgrnr, there's just something creepy about it all. The NM state troopers in the all black uniforms, the highway was numbered US 666, the legend of Tucumcari, all adds to it.

I used to stay in Tucumcari after dodgin' tornadoes while travelin' west on 40 thru OK and the TX panhandle. Never failed there'd be tornadoes when I drove that route. Seemed like the weather would always clear up as you got into NM. I don't think I've ever seen Amarillo Texas without black clouds over it, LOL. I was always glad to see Tucumcari. Never heard about the legend though.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: February 12, 2010, 2:58 am - IP Logged

Thank you rdgrnr, that's mighty creepy. I'm happy I'm nowhere near NM. I've seen some funny things but don't care to see any while I'm

driving.

Yeah dr65, I've seen some things too but luckily they were friendly spirits, LOL.

--Edmund Burke

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10354 Posts
            Posted: February 12, 2010, 3:04 am - IP Logged

Here you go, from Wikipedia:

Legend surrounding the area

Legend has it that ApacheChief Wautonomah was nearing the end of his time on earth and wastroubled by the question of who would succeed him as ruler of thetribe. In a classic portrait of love and competition, his two finestbraves, Tonopah and Tocom, were not only rivals and sworn enemies ofone another, but were both vying for the hand of Kari, ChiefWantonomah's daughter. Kari knew her heart belonged to Tocom. ChiefWautonomah beckened Tonopah and Tocom to his side and announced, "SoonI must die and one of you must succeed me as chief. Tonight you musttake your long knives and meet in combat to settle the matter betweenyou. He who survives shall be the Chief and have for his squaw, Kari,my daughter."

Tucumcari Mountain

As ordered, the two braves met, with knives outstretched, in mortalcombat. Unknown to either brave was the fact that Kari was hidingnearby. When Tonopah's knife found the heart of Tocom, the young squawrushed from her hiding place and used a knife to take Tonopah's life,as well as her own.

When Chief Wautonomah was shown this tragic scene, heartbreakenveloped him and he buried his daughter's knife deep into his ownheart, crying out in agony, "Tocom-Kari"!

A slight variation of the Chief's dying words live on today as Tucumcari, and the mountain which bares this name stands as a stark reminder of unfulfilled love.

Some credit this folktale to Geronimo. More skeptical and less romantic historians believe the word Tucumcari is a derivation from the Comanche word tukanukaru, which means to lie in wait for something. There's historical veracity to this explanation, since the mountain (actually a mesa) was known to be a Comanche lookout many years ago.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: February 12, 2010, 3:19 am - IP Logged

Here you go, from Wikipedia:

Legend surrounding the area

Legend has it that ApacheChief Wautonomah was nearing the end of his time on earth and wastroubled by the question of who would succeed him as ruler of thetribe. In a classic portrait of love and competition, his two finestbraves, Tonopah and Tocom, were not only rivals and sworn enemies ofone another, but were both vying for the hand of Kari, ChiefWantonomah's daughter. Kari knew her heart belonged to Tocom. ChiefWautonomah beckened Tonopah and Tocom to his side and announced, "SoonI must die and one of you must succeed me as chief. Tonight you musttake your long knives and meet in combat to settle the matter betweenyou. He who survives shall be the Chief and have for his squaw, Kari,my daughter."

Tucumcari Mountain

As ordered, the two braves met, with knives outstretched, in mortalcombat. Unknown to either brave was the fact that Kari was hidingnearby. When Tonopah's knife found the heart of Tocom, the young squawrushed from her hiding place and used a knife to take Tonopah's life,as well as her own.

When Chief Wautonomah was shown this tragic scene, heartbreakenveloped him and he buried his daughter's knife deep into his ownheart, crying out in agony, "Tocom-Kari"!

A slight variation of the Chief's dying words live on today as Tucumcari, and the mountain which bares this name stands as a stark reminder of unfulfilled love.

Some credit this folktale to Geronimo. More skeptical and less romantic historians believe the word Tucumcari is a derivation from the Comanche word tukanukaru, which means to lie in wait for something. There's historical veracity to this explanation, since the mountain (actually a mesa) was known to be a Comanche lookout many years ago.

Pretty cool story Coin, thanks.

Funny thing, I have a close friend in a town called Tonopah in AZ. I asked him what it meant once and he didn't know. Now I can tell him.

--Edmund Burke

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                22972 Posts
                Posted: February 12, 2010, 3:46 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss, thank you..that's an interesting piece.

lol..*skeptical and less romantic*...I'd lean more toward that side of the story. I just don't go for Geronimo's take on things..the you die, I die,

we all die love/hate triangle.

Speaking of dying...rdgrnr, the first time I saw dark, Texas storm clouds, I thought I was going to die. They all blew over, no incident (tornado) but

those were some of the worst clouds I've ever seen. A storm one year in northern PA with swirling rain, cracking/falling trees, hail and howling, high

winds didn't even give me the scare those Texas clouds did.

Entertaiment Capital
                  United States
                  Member #37800
                  April 19, 2006
                  302 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2010, 7:03 am - IP Logged

Numerology is for superstitious and gullible folks.

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                    NC
                    United States
                    Member #29378
                    January 1, 2006
                    552 Posts
                    Posted: February 12, 2010, 8:36 am - IP Logged

If your a little bit of a gambler such as myself the 666 comes up in one more place... If you add the numbers of the old roulette wheel you'll find their sum to be 666... 00+0+1+2+3+...+34+35+36 = 666... Hmmm, now that I think of it - if you were in jail (or prison) 6 times you might like 666 like this:

111 * 6 Times = 666

ROFL - 111 (Jail Bars)

Later all - Pogo LOL

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10354 Posts
                      Posted: February 12, 2010, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Pretty cool story Coin, thanks.

Funny thing, I have a close friend in a town called Tonopah in AZ. I asked him what it meant once and he didn't know. Now I can tell him.

There's a Tonopah, NV, on the road from Vegas to Reno, not sure of there's one in AZ too.

Lep

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: February 12, 2010, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

There's a Tonopah, NV, on the road from Vegas to Reno, not sure of there's one in AZ too.

Yeah, it's on RT 10 about 25 miles west of Phoenix. Not really much of a town to speak of. He has a nice view of the nuclear power plant from his front door, lol.

--Edmund Burke

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:31 am - IP Logged

Yeah, it's on RT 10 about 25 miles west of Phoenix. Not really much of a town to speak of. He has a nice view of the nuclear power plant from his front door, lol.

Ha Ha...This is too cool !

Sure is. I lived there for about 6 months. Right off of I-10. I worked at Woody's quick mart there, right next to the truck stop. It was a one horse town, and the horse only had 3 legs.

My roommate Clyde (an ex-Navy buddy of mine) was living there and I called him when I got out of the Navy. He specifically moved there from California...Irvine..... to work in the nuclear power plant in Tonopah. I think it was called the Palos Verdes plant. I applied there shortly after the Woody's market job, but turned it down because of personal reasons.

About 4 times a week, we'd drive to another town named Buckeye, just about 17 miles east of Tonopah, and hang out with friends. This was back in 1988. Man...you spark some good memories..... when I was better looking, thinner, and and YOUNG!....lol

BTW, back to the topic at hand, I bought some snacks on HIGHWAY 666 and the total was $6.66. It was also 6:66 PM, on the 66th night of June, 1966.

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10354 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2010, 2:50 am - IP Logged

joker17

"BTW,back to the topic at hand, I bought some snacks on HIGHWAY 666 and thetotal was $6.66. It was also 6:66 PM, on the 66th night of June, 1966."

You must have had the same clock Scully had in that episode of the X-Files!

Lep

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: February 13, 2010, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Ha Ha...This is too cool !

Sure is. I lived there for about 6 months. Right off of I-10. I worked at Woody's quick mart there, right next to the truck stop. It was a one horse town, and the horse only had 3 legs.

My roommate Clyde (an ex-Navy buddy of mine) was living there and I called him when I got out of the Navy. He specifically moved there from California...Irvine..... to work in the nuclear power plant in Tonopah. I think it was called the Palos Verdes plant. I applied there shortly after the Woody's market job, but turned it down because of personal reasons.

About 4 times a week, we'd drive to another town named Buckeye, just about 17 miles east of Tonopah, and hang out with friends. This was back in 1988. Man...you spark some good memories..... when I was better looking, thinner, and and YOUNG!....lol

BTW, back to the topic at hand, I bought some snacks on HIGHWAY 666 and the total was $6.66. It was also 6:66 PM, on the 66th night of June, 1966.

You think that was weird?

When I was there it was 666 degrees!

Man, it was hot out!

--Edmund Burke