Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How The Mid-Atlantic Blizzard Will Affect The Lottery

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 7 years ago by megamillionaire.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #81843
October 31, 2009
856 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2010, 3:37 am - IP Logged

In Baltimore right now, it is actually ILLEGAL to travel on the roadway unless you are an emergency vehicle. This got me to thinking what kind of effect this blizzard is going to have on lottery sales. I suspect in Delaware and Maryland the number of Pick-3 and Pick-4 winners will be significantly lower than normal.

Might have a big effect, but then again there might be more leisure time to poke around at LP and come up with some winners. I know the snow has a few upset. Might want to call ahead to see if the store is open before you leave the schloss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb0HwFAnwzM snowzilla report

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAxoPG8p16Q&feature=related snowman fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohNkqHnRn7Q Too much snow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuhmyG2vM88&feature=response_watch snow is peace

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5587 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2010, 3:43 am - IP Logged

Just wait for Phase 4!  Fortunately we live south of the city named after Lord Baltimore.  The front loaders just came thru here in Rockville, MD. did some cleanup and made so much noise it woke me!   We pretty much had the street passable before they got here. 

Anyway Baltimore city has special needs,  always has,  always will. 

I have two 4x4's,  and fortunately can get to lottery terminals,  I've hit twice in the past two days on the MD. day P4!   Today the traffic maybe ridiculous to get anywhere,  but I'll be going down to D.C..   The snow mounds they just piled up are about 12 feet,  I'll put pics on the blog after day break.

Entertaiment Capital
      United States
      Member #37800
      April 19, 2006
      302 Posts
      Posted: February 12, 2010, 6:42 am - IP Logged

Glad that I live in Southern California. Still, we had storm alert with heavy rains. So far, we had clear sky for last few days.

I am from a culture where monarchy existed for at least a thousand years. I am not saying that I obey the command of the superior blindly, but if the authority is reasonable enough, I obey it with no problems. And my people often scoff at America because it had such a short history.

Last year we had some terrible wildfires in LA and OC area, making thousands of people evacuating. And it was the order from the state government, and it was for the citizen. It was exactly like banning people to go on the snowy highways, to prevent accidents and saving lives. Still, it would be hilarious to see some numbnuts stubbornly insist that they would be remaining home during the wildfire, saying that the government has no right to order them to evacuate.

Sure, the government should respect the rights of individuals. But should an individual completely ignore what government tells them? I don't get it. Maybe I can't understand it because I am from a society with a strict social hierachy. I am not a fan of a big government but I am not a fan of miniscule government either. People can be unruly and even dangerous without proper authority above them, from my experience. Humans are rather untrustworthy animals and well, a leash is sometimes necessary.

So this guy lives in Tennesse and uses...uh...wow...dial-up? I am not bragging but my connection is 10 Mbps (comparing to 5 Kbps dial-up). I just can't imagine people surfing the web under 6 Mbps speed...

Oh, BTW...I am Korean and never stepped my foot in Afghanistan. :D

Entertaiment Capital
        United States
        Member #37800
        April 19, 2006
        302 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2010, 6:58 am - IP Logged

Anyway, are average Americans essentially...anarchists? Do they have no concept of social hierachy of social classes? Never had any? Class consciousness anyone?

You know, sometimes I am puzzled by extreme individualism (or selfishism). Seriously, I wonder what they teach at the social science class in grade schools. We are not islands. You don't live alone. When there's a society, there will always be hierachy and social structures.

I wonder what Founding Fathers actually intended. Were they doing some social experiment of anarchy, using the colonial dwellers as guinea pigs? Did they really think putting individual over ANYTHING would work? Then what's meaning of the nation state? What about the community? I am not an island. Neither are you. We can't live alone. We are no those John Wayne characters. Humans are, and should be mutually supportive and collaborative.

Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5587 Posts
          Posted: February 12, 2010, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Anyway, are average Americans essentially...anarchists? Do they have no concept of social hierachy of social classes? Never had any? Class consciousness anyone?

You know, sometimes I am puzzled by extreme individualism (or selfishism). Seriously, I wonder what they teach at the social science class in grade schools. We are not islands. You don't live alone. When there's a society, there will always be hierachy and social structures.

I wonder what Founding Fathers actually intended. Were they doing some social experiment of anarchy, using the colonial dwellers as guinea pigs? Did they really think putting individual over ANYTHING would work? Then what's meaning of the nation state? What about the community? I am not an island. Neither are you. We can't live alone. We are no those John Wayne characters. Humans are, and should be mutually supportive and collaborative.

Yeah that's right a thousand year old culture whose main crop is poppies and an infrastructure stuck in the middle ages.................Social hierarchies? Like NK?  Another POS,  we are all equal here, believe it or not,  and that is the problem right now with the elitists trying socialize the USA.

Don't come here pretend you are Afghani and lecture anyone about that crap you just posted.  WTF? Or WTK?

US FlagStill the greatest flag on the planet, get used to it.

Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5587 Posts
            Posted: February 12, 2010, 10:37 am - IP Logged

I thought you were in Panama and wondered about some of the lottery comments you made, but knowing you are in NYC clears them up.

You got that right RJ! 

Crazy

Entertaiment Capital
              United States
              Member #37800
              April 19, 2006
              302 Posts
              Posted: February 12, 2010, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

No, my home country's main 'crops' are microchips, electronics, and somewhat-OK automobiles. Yeah, Hyundai is not that great.

And Jararan, American hubris reminds me of the movie "Apocalypto". Who knows if America will be the next Mayan/Aztec empire?

Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5587 Posts
                Posted: February 12, 2010, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

No, my home country's main 'crops' are microchips, electronics, and somewhat-OK automobiles. Yeah, Hyundai is not that great.

And Jararan, American hubris reminds me of the movie "Apocalypto". Who knows if America will be the next Mayan/Aztec empire?

OK, so your not NK,  you are from the side we gave over 30,000 selfish AMERICAN lives, so you could hold off the scrouge of the commies.   You can thank every American for those GD microchips and curiously styled autos,  and the Republic that SKorea still has,  to this day if it weren't for your American brothers standing next to to you on that DMZ.  Later dude.

Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
                  Member #76986
                  July 10, 2009
                  8076 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2010, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

The Philadelphia mayor is fining residents $50 for not shoveling their sidewalks, yet most of the secondary and side streets (where people live) have not been plowed by the city (from either of the recent snow blizzards.)  If you don't get your sidewalk shoveled ASAP after getting the fine, the fine is doubled.  I think that is a stinkin' way to raise money for the depleted city coffers, especially when the city doesn't plow its own streets. We have elderly people on our block, who need to be able to get to the hospital, if there is an emergency.

Mail has not been delivered in a few days, either. People who don't pay their bills online, could be charged late fees, if they can't get their mail in time. The credit card late payments fees are criminal.  People who get checks through the mail could have a cashflow problem. There are benefits to using electronic banking. Guess what? FedEx got through one day and delivered a package to me!  I like FedEX. 

I bought a week's worth of lottery tickets before the storm. We are expecting another storm early next week, so I will put my show shoes on and track to the store to get another week's worth. Stay safe and warm everyone!  Waiting on the sun to melt this stuff!Sun Smiley

Ble$$ing$

h$m

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    CA
                    United States
                    Member #57222
                    December 23, 2007
                    587 Posts
                    Posted: February 12, 2010, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

I GOT THE DAY OFF. WEEWEEWEE YES OH YES. I'm hunkered down for the day..hot cocoa movies and extreme laziness will fill my snow drenched day.

Congrats on the "free" sick day, sully - stay safe.

Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5587 Posts
                      Posted: February 12, 2010, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

The Philadelphia mayor is fining residents $50 for not shoveling their sidewalks, yet most of the secondary and side streets (where people live) have not been plowed by the city (from either of the recent snow blizzards.)  If you don't get your sidewalk shoveled ASAP after getting the fine, the fine is doubled.  I think that is a stinkin' way to raise money for the depleted city coffers, especially when the city doesn't plow its own streets. We have elderly people on our block, who need to be able to get to the hospital, if there is an emergency.

Mail has not been delivered in a few days, either. People who don't pay their bills online, could be charged late fees, if they can't get their mail in time. The credit card late payments fees are criminal.  People who get checks through the mail could have a cashflow problem. There are benefits to using electronic banking. Guess what? FedEx got through one day and delivered a package to me!  I like FedEX. 

I bought a week's worth of lottery tickets before the storm. We are expecting another storm early next week, so I will put my show shoes on and track to the store to get another week's worth. Stay safe and warm everyone!  Waiting on the sun to melt this stuff!Sun Smiley

Ble$$ing$

h$m

The Sun is full-time,  'round the clock,  'round the world.  The Sun will show up.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: February 12, 2010, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Glad that I live in Southern California. Still, we had storm alert with heavy rains. So far, we had clear sky for last few days.

I am from a culture where monarchy existed for at least a thousand years. I am not saying that I obey the command of the superior blindly, but if the authority is reasonable enough, I obey it with no problems. And my people often scoff at America because it had such a short history.

Last year we had some terrible wildfires in LA and OC area, making thousands of people evacuating. And it was the order from the state government, and it was for the citizen. It was exactly like banning people to go on the snowy highways, to prevent accidents and saving lives. Still, it would be hilarious to see some numbnuts stubbornly insist that they would be remaining home during the wildfire, saying that the government has no right to order them to evacuate.

Sure, the government should respect the rights of individuals. But should an individual completely ignore what government tells them? I don't get it. Maybe I can't understand it because I am from a society with a strict social hierachy. I am not a fan of a big government but I am not a fan of miniscule government either. People can be unruly and even dangerous without proper authority above them, from my experience. Humans are rather untrustworthy animals and well, a leash is sometimes necessary.

So this guy lives in Tennesse and uses...uh...wow...dial-up? I am not bragging but my connection is 10 Mbps (comparing to 5 Kbps dial-up). I just can't imagine people surfing the web under 6 Mbps speed...

Oh, BTW...I am Korean and never stepped my foot in Afghanistan. :D

Yeah, I live in Tennessee and use dialup. Did you skip the part where I said that that's the only thing available here? I'm in a narrow holler between mountain ridges so I can't even get satellite service. There are some sacrifices to be made to live where I do but it's worth it to me to not be part of the herd you're in.

I'm glad to be here though. My people came from Scotland and Ireland and we never complain about this country or talk about how much better it was in the old country or how backwards Americans are. We love this country.

You should be a little more respectful of American culture and thankful you're here. But for the grace of God you could be in a cave in Afghanistan strapping bombs to your kids or feasting on a stray dog in Korea. Count your blessings.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
                          Queens, NY
                          United States
                          Member #245
                          April 15, 2002
                          451 Posts
                          Posted: February 12, 2010, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

What you didn't play today, you can always play tomorrow, twice . Where I play, the store has three machines and all of them were busy today. Scratch offs were selling briskly also. Not much affect at all.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.