Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How would you claim?

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jrosina.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2010, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

If you ever won the JP would you send in your ticket and claim form like they tell you to or just drive to your local lottery office? I personally would never let the ticket out of my possesion. Even at the lottery office I wouldn't let the ticket out of my sight. Lol.

Watch it badboy00z,

ca-dreamin* seems ok but tiggs is on edge. I think he's about to snap.

He could go postal at any minute!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New York,
    Panama
    Member #73078
    April 4, 2009
    3490 Posts
    Posted: March 2, 2010, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

WOW!!..Someones not feeling to good tonight..For goodness sakes we are a bit touchy..If I was your mailman I'd beep my horn and have you come out so I could hand you your mail and if there was a mistake you could shout at me then and not on the computer..Take a pint or a quart of Jack and go out in the field and drink it all down and relax..Time is short so enjoy what time you got left before a mail person shoots someone because we are all killers,in your eyes...

Tiggs, rd is just making fun! I doubt very much if he truly believes that!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40319 Posts
      Posted: March 2, 2010, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

MY closest lottery office is 20 minutes away thats why i'd drive. ( wink wink)

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
        Member #47420
        November 4, 2006
        3930 Posts
        Posted: March 2, 2010, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Watch it badboy00z,

ca-dreamin* seems ok but tiggs is on edge. I think he's about to snap.

He could go postal at any minute!

I been out of the Post Office 18 years and still have nightmares about it..So believe what rdgrnr is saying...

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          CA
          United States
          Member #57222
          December 23, 2007
          587 Posts
          Posted: March 2, 2010, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

If you ever won the JP would you send in your ticket and claim form like they tell you to or just drive to your local lottery office? I personally would never let the ticket out of my possesion. Even at the lottery office I wouldn't let the ticket out of my sight. Lol.

Badboy00z,
          Not only would I drive down to the headquarters, I have already done so.  On day I was down in Sacramento and saw their address on the back of a ticket, put it in my GPS and off I went! "just in case"  I know exactly how to get there.  Just waiting for the right matchup.  soon and very soon!

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
            Santa Ana
            United States
            Member #71159
            February 20, 2009
            651 Posts
            Posted: March 2, 2010, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

It depends on which state: (where I live, no anonymity when claiming, where I have played you can claim anonymous).

Don't say a word to anyone and remain calm, giddiness would probably make bad things happen. This is the first rule.....the rest is a Rough Draft

1.) Make copies of the ticket.  Put original unsigned ticket in a fire proof safe.

2.) Rent a cheap apt/efficiency and change my legal address to the apt/efficiency. Disconnect my landline in my home. Put a for sale sign up in front of my house. I would get a P.O. Box and a safe deposit box for anything else. Possibly look into a leave of absence.

3.) Meet with an atty to discuss safeguards to protect my family and the winnings while looking into paying off various debt: mortgage, cars etc.  It might be advisable for me to keep my mortgage (for the interest deduction in the year that I claim for tax puposes). I would look into setting up a a  family limited partnership or a couple of trusts. (one to put my home and the bulk of the winnings, another to help pay for my kids' needs:  schooling, clothing, etc. nothing extravagant.) Look into setting up some type of charitable trust to benefit  a couple of oranizations near and dear to my heart.  Also I would need to determine whether the publicity would hurt me as far as work goes (would it be wise to resign, not because I want to, because I wouldn't want someone to sue me in some frivolous lawsuit.)  If I had to resign I would have to set up some type of "living account" that would provide income to pay for food, healthcare etc.  Discuss various insurance needs that I may need for estate planning purposes (policies that would help pay any expenses upon my death so my children aren't left with the burden).  I would also ask if my immediate family (parents and siblings) could claim some of the winnings and draft up a tentative agreement stating their share of the claim. Being that I would have to pay gift tax on anything I give them above 13000 ( if I claim it all for myself), it may be better for them to claim a share, pay the taxes  and have more right up front.  This may take several meetings that would later involve a tax advisor. Pre-print the claim forms and tax forms. Since I have experience with investments, I would look to set up a new/separate cash management account to deposit the initial "check" 

4.)  Sign ticket, as advised, Go with attorney (and family) to claim the winnings with the original ticket and a couple of copies and the. claim forms. In my state, request "no press conference" my name, will already be public record. If I win in the other state, just claim anonymously and lay low.

5.) Wait for my share to be deposited in the CMA.

6.) Disperse funds to the various trusts from the CMA. Sign over home to trust, take down for sale sign, change back to original address.  I would try to have enough money set aside to live off the interest/dividends if no anonymity( I would have to quit my job), the money that I set aside in the "living expense account."  Using what I live off of, I would then diversify into equity based mutual funds for long term growth, much the same way I do now. Ladder some into CDs.  If I claim anonymously(in the other state), I would keep my job, and I would not buy anything extravagant and noticeable until after a couple of years. I would probably be more agressively invested than CDs....

7.) If winning the jackpot means "set for life", I would quit playing because, the chances of it happening again are slim to none,and it would give someone else a shot at it.

I hate to sound like a copy catWink, but I would do some of

the above--however, I did make a promise to one of my good co-workers whom I trust it will remain secretive that I finally hit/WON the big Mega Millions jackpot and vice versa if it were to happened to her-GOOD LUCK IN WINNING!!Party

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: March 2, 2010, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Tiggs, rd is just making fun! I doubt very much if he truly believes that!

rd will be the first non Postal carrier or clerk to go to the Post Office and go Postal..tiggs predicts this and tiggs is never wrong..

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: March 2, 2010, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

OMG!!!!! MASTER RIDGY!!!!!!

HAHAHA OK just because I work for the said PO and when I hit 5 out of 6 numbers on Super Lotto there was NO WAY IN HELL I was gonna mail my ticket in HEHEHE!!!!!!!

I DROVE (on my day off of course) to the lottery office.

And unless they've changed the way they handle things (in CA) a check is mailed to you! Mine took about 3 weeks. Also if you don't give your SSN on the claim form the lottery takes out 30% for taxes.

Oh man, I hope they hand the check to me in my state cuz the mailman would probably give it to the McNutt's down the mountain and I'd never see it.

And I couldn't complain cuz he'd probably whip out a machine gun from his mail bag and start blasting everything in sight!

--Edmund Burke

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: March 2, 2010, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

Oh man, I hope they hand the check to me in my state cuz the mailman would probably give it to the McNutt's down the mountain and I'd never see it.

And I couldn't complain cuz he'd probably whip out a machine gun from his mail bag and start blasting everything in sight!

Now your talking...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: March 2, 2010, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

I been out of the Post Office 18 years and still have nightmares about it..So believe what rdgrnr is saying...

You think you got it bad tiggs?

I never worked there at all and I have nightmares about it, lol!

--Edmund Burke

United States
                      Member #47420
                      November 4, 2006
                      3930 Posts
                      Posted: March 2, 2010, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

You think you got it bad tiggs?

I never worked there at all and I have nightmares about it, lol!

I'd move to Canada if that's the case or maybe Cuba..It's nice in Cuba all year round and you don't have to worry about any mail there..Fidel comes right to your door and tells you what's what's..Cut out the middle man<<<-----postal carrier..

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Chicago
                        United States
                        Member #70678
                        February 8, 2009
                        889 Posts
                        Posted: March 2, 2010, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

WOW!!!!! ALOT of changes since you've been there! Cases are vertical! One bundle instead of two. (letters get cased with the flats) Now we got DPS (majority of letters no longer cased by us) And those wonderful scanners...now we get to scan just about everything.  There's even barcodes on the street to scan so the wonderful PO can keep tabs on us. And at my PO they don't want us leaving parcels. Nothin' like having to stop and fill out a notice when it's freezing outside. Not to mention I'm left-handed but deliver the mail right handed so I have to shift everything to write out the slip GRRR!

United States
                          Member #47420
                          November 4, 2006
                          3930 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2010, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

WOW!!!!! ALOT of changes since you've been there! Cases are vertical! One bundle instead of two. (letters get cased with the flats) Now we got DPS (majority of letters no longer cased by us) And those wonderful scanners...now we get to scan just about everything.  There's even barcodes on the street to scan so the wonderful PO can keep tabs on us. And at my PO they don't want us leaving parcels. Nothin' like having to stop and fill out a notice when it's freezing outside. Not to mention I'm left-handed but deliver the mail right handed so I have to shift everything to write out the slip GRRR!

Imagine the nightmares you'll be having..When you do tiggs will be dead and gone so enjoy them all!!..

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: March 2, 2010, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

I'd move to Canada if that's the case or maybe Cuba..It's nice in Cuba all year round and you don't have to worry about any mail there..Fidel comes right to your door and tells you what's what's..Cut out the middle man<<<-----postal carrier..

Yeah, I'm sure ol' Fiddle would tell me everything I need to know but I bet he wouldn't let me buy Jack and then we'd have problems. Then I would go Postal!

I don't even know if they got any saloons down there or clog dancin' or jug bands.

I'll just deal with the psychopathic mailmen for now I guess.

--Edmund Burke

United States
                              Member #47420
                              November 4, 2006
                              3930 Posts
                              Posted: March 2, 2010, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I'm sure ol' Fiddle would tell me everything I need to know but I bet he wouldn't let me buy Jack and then we'd have problems. Then I would go Postal!

I don't even know if they got any saloons down there or clog dancin' or jug bands.

I'll just deal with the psychopathic mailmen for now I guess.

Might be safer with Fidal..I've seen what postal carriers can do first hand I might add,blood and all..1st week in the office in 1968..Woke me up I might add..