Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How would you claim?

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jrosina.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #74096
May 2, 2009
22877 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2010, 12:07 am - IP Logged

What are you saying?

Are you saying you wouldn't trust the Post Office to deliver your winning ticket to the right place?

Are you saying they might put it in the wrong mailbox?

Are you saying the Post Office might lose it?

Are you saying the Post Office might steal it?

What possible reason could there be for you not to rely on the Post Office?

This is an outrage!

Do you think it's easy to take an envelope with a name and address on it and put it in a box with the same name and address?

WELL NO, IT'S NOT!   IT'S LIKE ROCKET SCIENCE!

But that's no reason to not trust them with your winning ticket.

You're a gambler anyway. Just look at it like betting they'll get your ticket to the lottery office. The odds are probably about the same as winning in the first place and you've already done that so you might get lucky again.

You can see in this thread how confident people are in the Post Office. They're not driving hundreds of miles to deliver the ticket themselves just because they don't trust them. It's just that they like driving hundreds of miles. I'm sure they have complete faith in the Post Office.

I'll leave the matter of apologizing to tiggs and ca*dreamin up to you but as you know, they may well go berserk.

Postal employees frequently deal with complaints or criticism in their own unique manner - they kill everybody in sight.

Good luck. 

LOL!

Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22877 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2010, 12:18 am - IP Logged

OMG!!!!! MASTER RIDGY!!!!!!

HAHAHA OK just because I work for the said PO and when I hit 5 out of 6 numbers on Super Lotto there was NO WAY IN HELL I was gonna mail my ticket in HEHEHE!!!!!!!

I DROVE (on my day off of course) to the lottery office.

And unless they've changed the way they handle things (in CA) a check is mailed to you! Mine took about 3 weeks. Also if you don't give your SSN on the claim form the lottery takes out 30% for taxes.

lol yea, same system used to mail the check! 6 weeks here in PA but I wasn't as concerned about it getting to me as I would have been if I had to

send it to them....so I didn't send anything...I took it. I suggest others do the same because mailing it, I think, would be absolute agony.

Framingham,Ma
      United States
      Member #87369
      February 23, 2010
      50 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2010, 5:16 am - IP Logged

You don't drive you hire a LIMO,just don't tell him going to lottery give him address next door,LOL.Next if you are giving family friends co-workers anything more than $14,000.00 then first get IRS form 5754 fill out all info required before claiming ticket, this is form for claiming lottery winnings as a pool,ea member listed on form gets amount you wish and that person pays his/her own taxes on said amount and you get the rest.Biggest problem you hit jackpot on friday evening,you check/recheck about 50 times on every website possible and YUP you won.Now the agony begins,yo don't want to tell a sole because of being bothered by every tom/dick and harry out there.No lawyers open on Saturday/No IRS agencies open on Saturday so can't get form 5754.So you sit there ready to explode,to excited to eat or drink.Holding your ticket with death grip for fear of losing it.refuse to answer the door or phone,pacing back and forth,millions of things going on in your head,don't want to drink fearing would do something stupid.Even when Monday comes and you do go out to get form 5754 whats the chances you get into an accident LOL almost the same or better than hitting in first place LOL.If family members/friends/co-workers live out of State the time it takes to get them to fill out the form 5754 and sign it.So here is solution if you Win,call Me and I will come sit with you and protect you,for a small fee of coarse.Good luck to all somebody has to win.Last remark as to claiming and not having Your picture and name splashed all over the place.Some States allow trust fund to claim winnings and to be hidden you would need a Blind trust fund,sounds good.Problem I have with this is that check is now his/hers(lawyers) to do as you wish,You hope.as for me can't see trusting anyone with 133 million 58.1 million after taxes lump sum.Hear to many horror stories  for far less money these days.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
        Nova Scotia
        Canada
        Member #9934
        December 27, 2004
        884 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2010, 5:38 am - IP Logged

If I won a large amount of money I would drive right to the lottery office, there is one in the city, miles from where I live or I would go to the next province to claim my prize. And I would be thinking what took so long for me to win, and I would be relieved and happy that I would be able to finally travel wherever my heart desired and move out of my adoptive mother's home. Finally!

Everyday I look at the lottery website hoping that my numbers match with the numbers drawn the night before..

Group Hug

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2010, 6:04 am - IP Logged

lol yea, same system used to mail the check! 6 weeks here in PA but I wasn't as concerned about it getting to me as I would have been if I had to

send it to them....so I didn't send anything...I took it. I suggest others do the same because mailing it, I think, would be absolute agony.

Only six weeks to type out a check and send it to you? Hmmmm, that's pretty good for a government agency! Blazing speed!

They must type one letter of your name a day on the check and then go for coffee. Then if they spill coffee on it (which they probably do), they start all over again.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2010, 6:13 am - IP Logged

Only six weeks to type out a check and send it to you? Hmmmm, that's pretty good for a government agency! Blazing speed!

They must type one letter of your name a day on the check and then go for coffee. Then if they spill coffee on it (which they probably do), they start all over again.

hehehe..Same old tune..We have a problem..Good morning ridge,from your friendly mailman..

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2010, 6:28 am - IP Logged

hehehe..Same old tune..We have a problem..Good morning ridge,from your friendly mailman..

G'mornin' Tigger!

No problems, only solutions! (like Joker says)

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2010, 6:29 am - IP Logged

G'mornin' Tigger!

No problems, only solutions! (like Joker says)

Gotta run..Good luck today and tonight..Give my best to the wives..I mean wife..:):)..

Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #74096
                  May 2, 2009
                  22877 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2010, 9:05 am - IP Logged

lol, no, that's awful. They should be able to do it in 6 days. Why all the hub-bub? Maybe they have some secret ingredient in the ticket where it

will instantly turn into a check in about 4/5 weeks or so - taxes already taken out of course. That way, no one really has to do any thinking.....I don't

think PA is too hip in the brain department. Or the get your can in motion department either. Rating for length of time to process - 2/10. I'll bet they

have a huge panel of examiners - like in the ballot fiasco in Florida 2000 - lmao, that's it! I can see it now...holding the ticket on a slant, holding it up

to the light, checking it once/twice/a hundred times....then passing it off to examiner #23. There HAS to be a better way No Nod

United States
                    Member #47420
                    November 4, 2006
                    3930 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2010, 9:18 am - IP Logged

lol, no, that's awful. They should be able to do it in 6 days. Why all the hub-bub? Maybe they have some secret ingredient in the ticket where it

will instantly turn into a check in about 4/5 weeks or so - taxes already taken out of course. That way, no one really has to do any thinking.....I don't

think PA is too hip in the brain department. Or the get your can in motion department either. Rating for length of time to process - 2/10. I'll bet they

have a huge panel of examiners - like in the ballot fiasco in Florida 2000 - lmao, that's it! I can see it now...holding the ticket on a slant, holding it up

to the light, checking it once/twice/a hundred times....then passing it off to examiner #23. There HAS to be a better way No Nod

tiggs hates when he goes into McDonalds and ridge runner messes up my happy meal order so I guess all McDonald employees are dumb....I cashed a lottery ticket at Krogers today and the woman messed it up so I guess all Kroger employees are dumb..Hate it when people make mistakes..My mother made one years ago and here I am..:)

Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #74096
                      May 2, 2009
                      22877 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2010, 9:36 am - IP Logged

LOL tiggs! You certainly are no mistake. Big Smile

United States
                        Member #85338
                        January 13, 2010
                        143 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2010, 9:48 am - IP Logged

You don't drive you hire a LIMO,just don't tell him going to lottery give him address next door,LOL.Next if you are giving family friends co-workers anything more than $14,000.00 then first get IRS form 5754 fill out all info required before claiming ticket, this is form for claiming lottery winnings as a pool,ea member listed on form gets amount you wish and that person pays his/her own taxes on said amount and you get the rest.Biggest problem you hit jackpot on friday evening,you check/recheck about 50 times on every website possible and YUP you won.Now the agony begins,yo don't want to tell a sole because of being bothered by every tom/dick and harry out there.No lawyers open on Saturday/No IRS agencies open on Saturday so can't get form 5754.So you sit there ready to explode,to excited to eat or drink.Holding your ticket with death grip for fear of losing it.refuse to answer the door or phone,pacing back and forth,millions of things going on in your head,don't want to drink fearing would do something stupid.Even when Monday comes and you do go out to get form 5754 whats the chances you get into an accident LOL almost the same or better than hitting in first place LOL.If family members/friends/co-workers live out of State the time it takes to get them to fill out the form 5754 and sign it.So here is solution if you Win,call Me and I will come sit with you and protect you,for a small fee of coarse.Good luck to all somebody has to win.Last remark as to claiming and not having Your picture and name splashed all over the place.Some States allow trust fund to claim winnings and to be hidden you would need a Blind trust fund,sounds good.Problem I have with this is that check is now his/hers(lawyers) to do as you wish,You hope.as for me can't see trusting anyone with 133 million 58.1 million after taxes lump sum.Hear to many horror stories  for far less money these days.

No need to wait for Monday to print off form 5754.  The irs web-site has the .pdf for it.

Actually winning on a Friday would allow more time to get one's ducks in a row.  Disconnect the land line, buy the best fire-proof safe, get a couple of pre-paid cell phones, get a list of attorneys, accountants to make calls to on Monday.  Get a PO Box in a different town.  I know that I would be thinking of a bunch of questions to ask the attorneys and accountants. Perhaps research where I can open the acct to receive the assets.

As I said in my earlier post, my state requires your name to be public, so I would find an efficiency in a different town for about $400 month (short term) and change my address to that so that when I claim, that is where I "live"

New York,
                          Panama
                          Member #73078
                          April 4, 2009
                          3490 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2010, 9:53 am - IP Logged

A Dr will give you some cough syrup for that cough jrosina..After tomorrow night tiggs can buy you all the syrup you need..

Thanks tiggs, but that was not a cough laughter, that was a Caugh!!! With an A because it came from the very core of my person! It is so funny your cough medicine is not going to help this cAugh!!!   Thank you thigs Don't worry rd is always given those cAugh LAugh!!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #85037
                            January 7, 2010
                            252 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2010, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

Considering last month I was charged a late fee for my water bill payment never reaching their office and then a week later recieving a PAYCHECK addressed to a person 2 houses down, no there is no way in H E double hockey sticks i would EVER rely on the mail. 

it's no wonder the postal service is in such bad shape, you can't depend on them.

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
                              Kansas
                              United States
                              Member #83963
                              December 19, 2009
                              347 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2010, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

I would be camped out at a nice hotel somewhere very near lottery headquarters and I would be there at first light.  Drive!

We already have planned, the night of the win, we would drive to the city where the lottery office is, and get a hotel for the night, so we'd be there as soon as they opened. The ticket wouldn't be out of my site for a nano-second. I'd even take it to the bathroom with me, and babysit it, while everyone else slept. lol

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman