Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Could the Lottery offical do this??

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 7 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19831 Posts
Posted: March 19, 2010, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

"everytime when I DO NOT PLAY MM AND PB, SHOCKING, some of my own numbers were drawn!!!"

ECruz, sounds like Hindsight bias (The tendency to believe, after learning of an outcome, that you could have foreseen it).  After all if you normally play as few as five lines with different numbers you are probably covering 20-25 of the numbers in the number pool, so it's likely that a couple of them would be in most of the winning combinations weather you played or not and matching a couple of your numbers wouldn't have changed the outcome.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10354 Posts
    Posted: March 19, 2010, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

The worst thing anyone can do playing the lottery is assuming they are suppossed to win.

The "house" is suppossed to win and does over 99% of the time. And when the house does lose, when someone does hit a jackpot, it is all the other players that lost that pay the jackpot winner.

The players are the ones that are suppossed to lose and almost always do.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
      Arizona
      United States
      Member #52803
      June 10, 2007
      88 Posts
      Posted: March 19, 2010, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Ever since I developed my own system and when somebody once mentioned that the drawings aren't seen live on tv (at least not for the PowerBall and the Arizona lotteries), I've thought about this a lot.  And I'll tell you what I honestly think.  Once, while tracking the PowerBall using my own system, I noticed once that I had 12 "aberation" drawings in a row.  Now, what this is equivalent to is flipping a coin and having that coin land 12 times in a row on heads, only.  Now, the chances of this happening are 1:4096.  And I was really puzzled by this.  It's my understanding that there are four trial test drawings of the PowerBall, then the actual drawing of the PowerBall, and then a final test drawing of the PowerBall to insure integrity of the game.  You can get all of this data from Powerball.com.  My guess is that they may film the whole process, but I'm also guessing that the PB lottery official may have the "discretion" of actually choosing which drawing is the real one, leaving the rest for the trial draws.  And whatever lottery official was choosing at the time I had 12 aberational draws was probably choosing the most skewed draws available.  He or she may have done so hoping to ensure that nobody would win and that the jackpot would thereby increase, drawing more notice and publicity for the game.  In, fact, this could be the Standard Operating Procedure.

I've noticed the same type of situation with the Arizona state lotteries, Pick 5 and Pick 6.  Now the difference with the AZ state lotteries is that they are, in fact, computerized.  But like the PowerBall, there are trial runs, then the actual run, and then a final test run.  But with the AZ state lotteries, the lottery official does actually have the discretion of choosing which run is the actual run, leaving the rest to count as trial runs.  Food for thought, right?  ;-)

I'm not much of a conspiratory theorist, and I don't honestly think that there is a large conspiratory concerning lottery drawings, but it might just be that we, the general public, aren't aware of all the rules regarding the lotteries.

Money can't buy you happiness, but I sure could afford the misery that it brings! Wink

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
        Queens, NY
        United States
        Member #245
        April 15, 2002
        451 Posts
        Posted: March 19, 2010, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

A long time ago some of the people in  charge of the balls used for the NY lottery were caught puting water in some of the balls so they wouldn't be blown up into the tubes and their numbers would have a better chance of coming out. They went to jail. The lottrery officals don't care who wins. the prize pool is the same percentage of the funds collected no matter what, so why would they have to fix who wins. What?

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: March 19, 2010, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Ever since I developed my own system and when somebody once mentioned that the drawings aren't seen live on tv (at least not for the PowerBall and the Arizona lotteries), I've thought about this a lot.  And I'll tell you what I honestly think.  Once, while tracking the PowerBall using my own system, I noticed once that I had 12 "aberation" drawings in a row.  Now, what this is equivalent to is flipping a coin and having that coin land 12 times in a row on heads, only.  Now, the chances of this happening are 1:4096.  And I was really puzzled by this.  It's my understanding that there are four trial test drawings of the PowerBall, then the actual drawing of the PowerBall, and then a final test drawing of the PowerBall to insure integrity of the game.  You can get all of this data from Powerball.com.  My guess is that they may film the whole process, but I'm also guessing that the PB lottery official may have the "discretion" of actually choosing which drawing is the real one, leaving the rest for the trial draws.  And whatever lottery official was choosing at the time I had 12 aberational draws was probably choosing the most skewed draws available.  He or she may have done so hoping to ensure that nobody would win and that the jackpot would thereby increase, drawing more notice and publicity for the game.  In, fact, this could be the Standard Operating Procedure.

I've noticed the same type of situation with the Arizona state lotteries, Pick 5 and Pick 6.  Now the difference with the AZ state lotteries is that they are, in fact, computerized.  But like the PowerBall, there are trial runs, then the actual run, and then a final test run.  But with the AZ state lotteries, the lottery official does actually have the discretion of choosing which run is the actual run, leaving the rest to count as trial runs.  Food for thought, right?  ;-)

I'm not much of a conspiratory theorist, and I don't honestly think that there is a large conspiratory concerning lottery drawings, but it might just be that we, the general public, aren't aware of all the rules regarding the lotteries.

"But with the AZ state lotteries, the lottery official does actually have the discretion of choosing which run is the actual run, leaving the rest to count as trial runs".

Does he choose before  or after he sees the numbers?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: March 19, 2010, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

"Think of ALL the states that play MM and/or PP times how many tickets are sold? DO you honestly think their system could check all those tickets to see what numbers have been played?"

Absolutely! The numbers that are played are encoded in the bar code at the bottom of your ticket, it is how they can check to see if there is a winner in the tickets sold, they would have to know the numbers you chose, would they not? And they can have that info in a heart beat. The only reason it takes as long as an hour to post them is all the hoops they have to go through to make sure it is correct and all legit (legal hoopla).

Now, do I believe they do this in the MM or PB games, NO, not at all. They have no way to track who owns the tickets for the most part. But I didn't want you to underestimate their ability to track what is played. Because it is done and done easily.

Ok I hadn't thought of that. (the numbers encoded in the bar code)

I was thinking along the lines of all these numerous combinations  coming in and how their system could check to see what number combinations HAD been played in order to come up with a combination that hadn't.

ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
              Arizona
              United States
              Member #52803
              June 10, 2007
              88 Posts
              Posted: March 19, 2010, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

"But with the AZ state lotteries, the lottery official does actually have the discretion of choosing which run is the actual run, leaving the rest to count as trial runs".

Does he choose before  or after he sees the numbers?

Very good question.  I copied the following text off of the AZ lottery web site to answer your question.  ;-)

What is the on-line drawing process?

The digital drawing system is in a secure room, locked and sealed with a steel crimp. A delicate, paper tamper-proof seal with a control number is placed over the steel crimp. Two Lottery employees (the drawing manager and the auditor list representative) report to the computer room at least 1 1/2 hours prior to the official drawing. Only Lottery officials are allowed access into the room where the drawing equipment is maintained. The drawing officials randomly select the number of pre-drawing tests to be conducted that evening. They usually conduct one to four pre-drawing tests according to policy compliance. At approximately 9:30 p.m., Arizona Lottery Information Technology staff alerts the drawing manager to proceed with the drawing. After the drawing, the digital drawing system is locked and sealed, and all drawing equipment is secured. A drawing record is completed after each drawing that includes the names of staff who are present, the digital drawing system and selection device used, the pre-drawing test numbers selected, and the official drawing numbers selected. Drawing results are audited by an independent auditing firm. Members of the public are invited to view the procedures. The official procedures are available upon request.

Money can't buy you happiness, but I sure could afford the misery that it brings! Wink

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: March 19, 2010, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Very good question.  I copied the following text off of the AZ lottery web site to answer your question.  ;-)

What is the on-line drawing process?

The digital drawing system is in a secure room, locked and sealed with a steel crimp. A delicate, paper tamper-proof seal with a control number is placed over the steel crimp. Two Lottery employees (the drawing manager and the auditor list representative) report to the computer room at least 1 1/2 hours prior to the official drawing. Only Lottery officials are allowed access into the room where the drawing equipment is maintained. The drawing officials randomly select the number of pre-drawing tests to be conducted that evening. They usually conduct one to four pre-drawing tests according to policy compliance. At approximately 9:30 p.m., Arizona Lottery Information Technology staff alerts the drawing manager to proceed with the drawing. After the drawing, the digital drawing system is locked and sealed, and all drawing equipment is secured. A drawing record is completed after each drawing that includes the names of staff who are present, the digital drawing system and selection device used, the pre-drawing test numbers selected, and the official drawing numbers selected. Drawing results are audited by an independent auditing firm. Members of the public are invited to view the procedures. The official procedures are available upon request.

"They usually conduct one to four pre-drawing tests..."

Looks like you really can't get an answer without requesting the official procedures. Sure looks like they have a lot of leeway if they can decide which is a test draw or official draw after seeing the numbers. Hard to believe they would allow that.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Denver
                  United States
                  Member #88364
                  March 14, 2010
                  8 Posts
                  Posted: March 19, 2010, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

"They usually conduct one to four pre-drawing tests..."

Looks like you really can't get an answer without requesting the official procedures. Sure looks like they have a lot of leeway if they can decide which is a test draw or official draw after seeing the numbers. Hard to believe they would allow that.

It's not totally clear, but from this quote:

"The drawing officials randomly select the number of pre-drawing tests to be conducted that evening."

... it sounds like they randomly determine the number of tests before the official drawing and before any numbers are selected. 

But it is not totally clear.  I did a bunch of searching for how Arizona picks its numbers, and there was almost no discussions or comments on it that I could find.  I have to figure that if they were doing something as bad as looking at the numbers, and THEN deciding if it was just a test or not, there would be an uproar and discussions about it.

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
                    Member #6363
                    August 20, 2004
                    4064 Posts
                    Posted: March 19, 2010, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Ok I hadn't thought of that. (the numbers encoded in the bar code)

I was thinking along the lines of all these numerous combinations  coming in and how their system could check to see what number combinations HAD been played in order to come up with a combination that hadn't.

That is why when these games go to computer drawings that can become a very real scenario. They have all the info they need to make a rollover (or anything else) happen if they wanted to. It is all at their finger tips. Have the computer check what has been bought vs. what they want the computer to spit out, all without anyone being the wiser. With balls involved it makes this a much tougher feat to accomplish, but once you take away the balls, any bit of security, integrity and legitimacy flies out the window.

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

TN
                      United States
                      Member #80857
                      October 5, 2009
                      63 Posts
                      Posted: March 20, 2010, 12:12 am - IP Logged

That is why when these games go to computer drawings that can become a very real scenario. They have all the info they need to make a rollover (or anything else) happen if they wanted to. It is all at their finger tips. Have the computer check what has been bought vs. what they want the computer to spit out, all without anyone being the wiser. With balls involved it makes this a much tougher feat to accomplish, but once you take away the balls, any bit of security, integrity and legitimacy flies out the window.

exactly.

pepper1's avatar - batman38
                        hotatlanta
                        United States
                        Member #70664
                        February 8, 2009
                        1446 Posts
                        Posted: March 20, 2010, 10:53 am - IP Logged

tiggs is not a liberal by no means and is wise enough to not know it all but thank you for the prayer as he does need that more then money..OK??...

Whatever. To each his own.

United States
                          Member #868
                          November 19, 2002
                          513 Posts
                          Posted: March 20, 2010, 11:19 am - IP Logged

YOU NEED HELP

hotatlanta
                            United States
                            Member #70664
                            February 8, 2009
                            1446 Posts
                            Posted: March 20, 2010, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

YOU NEED HELP

SO DO YOU....

hotatlanta
                              United States
                              Member #70664
                              February 8, 2009
                              1446 Posts
                              Posted: March 20, 2010, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

YOU NEED HELP

If you hve the numbers to PB,MM,Cash3 are 4 then I could use all the help you can give me.