Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Forgot to give a gift ticket and it won now what?

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 7 years ago by sully16.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

The gift ticket you forgot to give your friend has won big what would you do?

Break the speed limit to your friend's house. [ 8 ]  [13.11%]
Don't mention it. [ 29 ]  [47.54%]
Give a gift of equal value, like a picture of you. [ 4 ]  [6.56%]
Split it, give 50% to your friend. [ 12 ]  [19.67%]
Give what you hoped it would win. [ 2 ]  [3.28%]
Give 10% to your friend. [ 3 ]  [4.92%]
Pick up a round more often. [ 2 ]  [3.28%]
Give 90% to your friend. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Give it to the church. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Tear them up. [ 1 ]  [1.64%]
Total Valid Votes [ 61 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
Harrison Township Michigan
United States
Member #90088
April 21, 2010
4265 Posts
Posted: April 24, 2010, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

The gift lottery tickets you forgot to give have morphed into a big win, and no one but you knows you bought them to be a gift for your friend.    What would you do with the winnings?

Hi Bob, Ummm What did i forget to do? Party

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: April 24, 2010, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Hmmmm.. Bob ain't sayin much.

I'm startin' to wonder if we're talking hypothetically or in real-time, as in advice needed right now.

Bob?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3104 Posts
      Posted: April 25, 2010, 4:20 am - IP Logged

While it's happened to me, found the Christmas scratchoffs in the desk drawer a month after the holiday, the prizes never amounted to much.   Have to buy them holiday scratchoffs early when they first come out and keep them in that safe place you forget about.   I have little faith and some experience of family making me jump through hoops for rewards so no expectation of any prize being shared freely once handed over, better for me I'm the one passing out rewards for hoop jumping.   Make anyone rich, they will likely move away so bye bye friend anyway.   Better to rent a superbowl box and fly everyone in . . .

BobP

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: April 25, 2010, 9:15 am - IP Logged

If they were scratchers, you had to have scratched them yourself to find out they were winners, no?

Once you scratched them, how are they still gifts?

Just curious.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
          Texas
          United States
          Member #86154
          January 30, 2010
          1649 Posts
          Posted: April 25, 2010, 9:56 am - IP Logged

PROBLEM SOLVED..Never buy a lottrey ticket as a gift for a friend or relative..

I can sort of understand your reasoning, I believe. Basically, you're saying not to do it then you won't have to worry with the whole matter...and this is true. But, let's deal with this a bit deeper, tigger. You buy a ticket, as usual, and nothing comes of it. On the other hand, due to the "ACT" of your generosity and kindness of purchasing a ticket and giving to a friend, it may hit due to the "GIVING ACT" and will be reciprocated back to you...just because you gave it.

Decent thought, huh? Then again, they might not feel the need to do anything at all. I suppose it largely depends on the person in question. Sometimes, family can be the absolute hardest to please. Give a total stranger a few bucks to eat, drink, etc. and they're eternally grateful...hoping they can do for you one day. Do it for family or friends and they can sometimes feel that you're simply obligated.

I really think it's all about "why" one does a particular thing that dictates the outcome. You do make a good point, though.

L.L.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: April 25, 2010, 10:21 am - IP Logged

I can sort of understand your reasoning, I believe. Basically, you're saying not to do it then you won't have to worry with the whole matter...and this is true. But, let's deal with this a bit deeper, tigger. You buy a ticket, as usual, and nothing comes of it. On the other hand, due to the "ACT" of your generosity and kindness of purchasing a ticket and giving to a friend, it may hit due to the "GIVING ACT" and will be reciprocated back to you...just because you gave it.

Decent thought, huh? Then again, they might not feel the need to do anything at all. I suppose it largely depends on the person in question. Sometimes, family can be the absolute hardest to please. Give a total stranger a few bucks to eat, drink, etc. and they're eternally grateful...hoping they can do for you one day. Do it for family or friends and they can sometimes feel that you're simply obligated.

I really think it's all about "why" one does a particular thing that dictates the outcome. You do make a good point, though.

L.L.

Another way to solve the problem..Here's 10.00 buy some lottery tickets and good luck and happy birthday..

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
              Texas
              United States
              Member #86154
              January 30, 2010
              1649 Posts
              Posted: April 25, 2010, 10:28 am - IP Logged

L.L.

I played the regular Texas Lottery (6/54) last night and got quite the surprise!! After purchasing some energy drinks I had $4 left over, so, I got some QP's. Here's the run down:

A: 01-12-20-24-37-38

B: 06-16-21-23-42-47

C: 02-21-26-28-43-54

D: 12-18-23-26-34-41

Winning #'s: 14-19-20-28-36-53

My last line came the absolute closest to victory...still, no cigar. But, this proves that it does pay to spend more than $1 on this deal to have any kind of decent chance. If I can scan and post it, I will!! It was fun, which is the whole point!!!

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: April 25, 2010, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Another way to solve the problem..Here's 10.00 buy some lottery tickets and good luck and happy birthday..

$10 for your friend's Birthday? Man, that's cheap. Then you tell them what to spend it on? Man, that's bossy.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: April 25, 2010, 10:41 am - IP Logged

$10 for your friend's Birthday? Man, that's cheap. Then you tell them what to spend it on? Man, that's bossy.

You ridge tiggs would give a buck and ask for change..

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #70678
                    February 8, 2009
                    889 Posts
                    Posted: April 25, 2010, 11:55 am - IP Logged

I voted for don't mention it........the reason being I was thinking the tickets were scratchers.

If I forgot to give them and then I scratch them instead I've already decided they're mine.

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: April 25, 2010, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

"The ticket doesn't become a gift until it's given. "

That's mostly a BS rationalization. Sometimes people may buy a bunch of things and later decide who gets which gift, but usually when you buy a gift it's that person's gift as soon as you buy it, and certainly as of the date that it's "due". Have you ever referred to something you bought as "my wife's anniversary present," "my nephew's birthday present" or something similar before  giving it to them? That would indicate your true feelings about the rightful owner of the undelivered gift. As asked, it would appear that there was no substitute gift delivered instead, so as a question of ethics the answer is clear. The gif belongs to the intended recipient, whether it's a wrapped  necklace, an unscratched scratch ticket, or an online ticket that  can be easily identified as a winner. The only real question is  what  are your own ethics under the circumstances? How much does this person's gift has to be worth before you steal it back from them?

"Lottery tickets are given as gift because they are cheap and have potential values of great amounts."

That sentence is six words too long. Tickets are usually given because they're cheap.  They're also usualy worthless. Even if it's in addition to another gift, would you by somebody a $5 "gift" that you were pretty sure they would not like and would consider useless?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10353 Posts
                        Posted: April 25, 2010, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

If they were scratchers, and I think that's been said, I still would like to know how it was determined they were winners before they were given away.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

luckyshoes's avatar - butterfly neg.jpg
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #79502
                          September 2, 2009
                          6395 Posts
                          Posted: April 25, 2010, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

Why did you scratch them if you knew they were going to someone else? Wasnt it for them to scratch them off?  You would have never known until they told you thus making it a little easier to handle.  Its hard for everyone at some point to do the right thing  but consider this......

the right thing to do        or       the easy way out ?

what can you live with?

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                            Dump Water Florida
                            United States
                            Member #380
                            June 5, 2002
                            3104 Posts
                            Posted: April 25, 2010, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

If they were scratchers, you had to have scratched them yourself to find out they were winners, no?

Once you scratched them, how are they still gifts?

Just curious.

Because you can explain exactly what happened if you choose to share the gift. 

"Here, I forgot to give you these and scratched them to make sure it wasn't a waste of time giving them to you after the fact." 

If they were losers you can toss them, no one else knows.  If they were winners and you pocket the cash, no one else has to know.  If they were winners and you choose to give them to your friend anyway, I doubt the friend is  going to hold it against you. 

BobP

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: April 25, 2010, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

if i hadnt told them and no one lese knew. I would keep it.

i do buy people tickets for xmas and such. if i had said " ive bought you a  lotto ticket, " i would send them the  numbers. before the draw. so they knew before the draw, what their numbers where.

at xmas i write " to X from me" on the back. putting their full name so its pre ordained that if the ticket wins ill have a hell fo a time claiming the win as my own. if the numbers do come up.

if i give as a gift ill make sure i cant change my mind before the draw,if i decided not to , then it wasnt a gift.

i even buy many new years tickets fore the big draw we have around new years. when i hand em out, i write their  name son back and always have a few left over. those aint gifts and i keep em for myself.

I think if i hadnt written their name on the back, i really didnt give it asa gift.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297