Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Be Proud...

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Guru101.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
Dallas, TX
United States
Member #60284
April 12, 2008
3856 Posts
Posted: April 29, 2010, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Whatever one decided to do, they have to be smart about it.

United States
    Member #85338
    January 13, 2010
    143 Posts
    Posted: April 29, 2010, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

THRUST,

From what has been shown on The Lottery Changed My Life and The Curse of the Lottery, I don't think any jackpot winner who remained anonymous has regretted it, but there certainly have been some people who did not remain anonymous regret it.

Couldn't agree more....

If one is single, no kids....be proud, enjoy it, have fun......live it up, but be smart.

When family comes into play such as a spouse or children or elderly parents....that's when your fortune could be a misfortune for them.  A little anonymity can go a long way in keeping your family safe.

If I play in a state that allows for no anonymity....I may be ok, but family may have a tough time or they could be targets to the predators.... Just because I have common sense and play it smart, doesn't mean that the people that know me or are family have it......They may be the weak link, not me. 

Yes, it is my money and I can do what I want with it, but there are people (leeches) who think it's their money too. 

I want me and my immediate family to enjoy my winnings for a long time, not necessarily flaunting it. Anonymously enjoying it is even better.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: April 29, 2010, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

It is my money I can do what I <snip> well please. I just know I won't lose any sleep at night.

Cool

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

I gotta go with the THRUSTER on this one. I could make all kinds of plans to be sensible and all like that but that just plum goes against my nature. This ol' hillbilly's dadgum straight gonna tear it up fer a while. Bet me a dollar.

When I breeze into that city

People gonna stoop and bow

All them wimmins gonna make me

Teach 'em what they don't know how

Pritty lil thang

Betta light cho candle

Cuz good lookin mama

I'm sho hard to handle

(just kiddin' lol) (not really, heh heh heh)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1648 Posts
        Posted: April 30, 2010, 12:15 am - IP Logged

The following is just (1) article of (8) discussing lottery winners and their fates due to bad decisions made before and after coming into sudden wealth. Ellen Goldstein, Bankrate.com wrote the articles. Also, on MSN Money an article called "You're Suddenly Rich...Bummer" can be found which also goes into great detail regarding lottery winners and how their families and lives are affected...good and bad.

Everybody wants to win but, are you really ready for it? Can you REALLY HANDLE SUDDEN WEALTH? These (8) people thought they were and, now, are all completely broke. I see people here who make some good, sound replies about handling their business the right way. I also see people who'd be broke rather quickly for obvious reasons regarding their posts. Yeah, some may say, "That's only (8) people out of how many that have the lottery."

True...very true. However, to come into millions of dollars, and, the one lady (Evelyn Adams of New Jersey) won TWICE, and all still ended up BROKE. Your money managing skills will be challenged to the fullest and you must be able to separate the HYPE from the HUMBLE...the BUSINESS from the BULLSH*T.

I'm only trying to help anyone who'll listen here...no arrogancy or knowing it all etc. Just good sound reading to help someone not end up like these (8) people did. It can and will happen if you're not ready and disciplined with your current money skills. Just as I said that we have (180) days to claim the money and get ready for it, Goldstein says here to "park the money" for (90) days and gather yourself. It's no coincidence that I speak the same language as people like her...just as sensible others here do. The actual link is articles.moneycentral.msn.com/8lotterywinnerswholosttheirmoney

To offset some bad early decision-making and the inevitable requests of friends, relatives and strangers, Bradley recommends lottery winners start by setting up a DFZ or decision-free zone.

"Take time out from making any financial decisions," she says. "Do this right away. For some people, it's smart to do it before you even get your hands on the money.

"People who are not used to having money are fragile and vulnerable, and there are plenty of people out there who are willing to prey on that vulnerability -- even friends and family," she cautions.

"It's not a time to decide what stocks to buy or jump into a new house purchase or new business venture.

"It's a time to think things through, sort things out and seek an advisory team to help make those important financial choices."

As an example, Bradley says that people who come into a windfall will typically put buying a house as No. 1 in list of 12 choices, while investing is No. 11.

"You really don't want to buy a new house before taking the time to think about what the consequences are.

"A lot of people who don't have money don't realize how much it costs to live in a big house -- decorators, furniture, taxes, insurance, even utility costs are greater. People need a reality check before they sign the contract," she says.

Evelyn Adams, the N.J. lottery double-winner, learned these lessons the hard way.

"There are a lot of people out there like me who don't know how to deal with money," laments Adams. "Hey, some people went broke in six months. At least I held on for a few years."

(For more information on dealing with a sudden change in your fortunes, read "You're suddenly rich? Bummer," on MSN Money.)

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 30, 2010, 12:51 am - IP Logged

No lawyers for me. None of them shysters and hangers-on and money-managers and pundits and experts and book writers and advisors and other assorted schemers and scammers and blood sucking parasites for me.

I'll go with my By God common sense.

I like to have fun. I'm not gonna sit around wringing my hands and worrying about anything. I'm gonna have a good time.

I got enough common sense to know how to take care of business and that's all I need.

I ain't gonna waste a minute of my life worrying about a dadgum thing.

Never have, never will.

And I do just fine.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
            Member #88435
            March 16, 2010
            397 Posts
            Posted: April 30, 2010, 1:05 am - IP Logged

I have read this already & have posted helpful links(not that one) in another thread https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/212670

I know you want to help people and that is good...but it is still the winners money and what they do with it is up to them. All the advice in the world isn't going to help someone who doesn't want to help themselves if you get what I am saying. I think the best way to help people is by example and either they like what they see and follow that or they don't. The most important thing people need to understand is you have to be happy in who you are now and your life now...money isn't going to change that, money only becomes an extention of that. If one isn't true in the small things they sure are not going to be true in greater things. Much like the article is saying...some people just aren't ready and it has nothing to do with money.

$1,000,000

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
              Member #88435
              March 16, 2010
              397 Posts
              Posted: April 30, 2010, 1:06 am - IP Logged

No lawyers for me. None of them shysters and hangers-on and money-managers and pundits and experts and book writers and advisors and other assorted schemers and scammers and blood sucking parasites for me.

I like to have fun. I'm not gonna sit around wringing my hands and worrying about anything. I'm gonna have a good time.

I got enough common sense to know how to take care of business and that's all I need.

Never have, never will.

And I do just fine.

Just be true to who you are and it will work out. Thumbs Up

$1,000,000

Texas
                United States
                Member #86154
                January 30, 2010
                1648 Posts
                Posted: April 30, 2010, 1:34 am - IP Logged

I have read this already & have posted helpful links(not that one) in another thread https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/212670

I know you want to help people and that is good...but it is still the winners money and what they do with it is up to them. All the advice in the world isn't going to help someone who doesn't want to help themselves if you get what I am saying. I think the best way to help people is by example and either they like what they see and follow that or they don't. The most important thing people need to understand is you have to be happy in who you are now and your life now...money isn't going to change that, money only becomes an extention of that. If one isn't true in the small things they sure are not going to be true in greater things. Much like the article is saying...some people just aren't ready and it has nothing to do with money.

If one isn't true in the small things they sure are not going to be true in greater things. Much like the article is saying...some people just aren't ready and it has nothing to do with money.

Now, we're getting somewhere and I'm glad you made this post. I'm not worried so much with the lawyers, financial advisers, "sooth sayers", and fortune tellers. I've covered that already. The excessive lavish lifestyles one would persue is what's important. I never said not to enjoy the money because that's what's it's for in due respect. We only live once with life we currently have but, to come into such wealth allows a person to actually live TWICE. One can abandon the former "limited" ways of living without abandoning their "values" which, hopefully are reserved and, won't allow them to over do things.

Practicality is what doesn't register with most winners. While everyone isn't like the guy I'm about to describe, there are lots of people just like him. True story: A local guy won the Cash 5 all by himself...around $150,000. He went out and bought (5) cars, lots and lots of jewelry, gave all his "homies" large sums of undeserved money as they put him on guilt trips, bought all his "NEW GIRLFRIENDS" new furnishings for their houses/apartments, started paying their bills/car notes, and his family hit him up pretty regular because they couldn't manage what he gave them initially.

Result: HE HAS NOTHING TO SHOW FOR HIS WIN AS I'M SPEAKING...NOTHING. Thrust, lots of people fall into this category RIGHT NOW if they were to win. I'm just trying, in my own way, to help them NOT to. That's all. I think we can both agree that a person just can't purchase "COMMON SENSE". I'll check your link out, too.Thumbs Up

L.L.

Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86154
                  January 30, 2010
                  1648 Posts
                  Posted: April 30, 2010, 1:38 am - IP Logged

Never have, never will.

And I do just fine.

Common Sense is priceless, 'ridge...literally. Long as you have that, nothing else matters.Thumbs Up

L.L.

Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #78798
                    August 21, 2009
                    336 Posts
                    Posted: May 8, 2010, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

I like to see the people who win mega millions and powerball jackpots. It's exciting to see what type of person that is. If I won, I wouldn't claim anonymously. I would wait until I had everything straightened out and was lawyered up.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1953 Posts
                      Posted: May 8, 2010, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

I am thinking that this whole "claim anonymously" paranoia is BS. I want to be happy about this, I don't care if my name, picture, hometown and state are given...I won, I am going to enjoy this. I don't fear winning the lottery, why should I? It is all about being smart and using common sense. If you worry about winning and what is going to happen...then you don't need to be playing the lottery. Be proud, stand tall and grab that jackpot with respect. Smiley

If you really want it...you have nothing to fear. Just be smart. Thumbs Up

US Flag

GodBlessAmerica!

Kinda like how after I win my $80,000,000 Powerball jackpot tonight?Smile

Gonna win.Big Smile