Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The morning after you win & your job

Topic closed. 81 replies. Last post 7 years ago by tungsten chef.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

The morning after you win the PB or MM Jackpot you would

I would call into work and say im sick [ 25 ]  [25.77%]
I would call into work and say im rich and i quit [ 14 ]  [14.43%]
I would go to work and tell all my co-workers [ 2 ]  [2.06%]
I would go to work but keep it a secret [ 56 ]  [57.73%]
Total Valid Votes [ 97 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
CA
United States
Member #57222
December 23, 2007
587 Posts
Posted: May 5, 2010, 9:22 am - IP Logged

What if your bored and your mind wonders at work?

I have a few hobbies that would keep me busy, I definitely would not be bored.

To answer the OP's question:

I'd basically do what Peter did in the movie Office Space without the embezzlement stuff.

Hey I Glen,  you're right, if you hate your job then go for it.  If it were my previous job,  I would have  gone to work, go off on a few people, ( no need for burned bridge issues) and sit right back down at my desk and wait to get fired.  No one would be any the wiser,  Theyd just think I'd finally gone postal from the stress.

But  my current job,  even after nearly a year working there, is nice.  I wouldnt mind going there everyday  when I know I didnt have to. 
But unlike  most situations  if things ever got bad, I'd feel safe knowing that I would have to take it  due to finances and would be free to walk out.

Oh I forgot to add that I would call in sick on that first day just to go to the headquarters  and such.  Hopefully I don't win on a Friday because  the lottery offices are closed on Fridays,  Id have to stay calm and under the radar for three days!

United States
    Member #26330
    November 16, 2005
    330 Posts
    Posted: May 5, 2010, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like my kinda plan,,

only thing I'd change would be bustin out the " Wild Turkey"...!

I'm with you guys...after that I would hire a limo to adjurn to the closest Mexican Restaurant for some Taco's and Tequila!!!  Then Me and the dancing girls might get tired......LOL    Banana

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1954 Posts
      Posted: May 5, 2010, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

When I win Powerball tonight, I'm just gonna call and quit.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
        Nova Scotia
        Canada
        Member #9934
        December 27, 2004
        884 Posts
        Posted: May 5, 2010, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

If I won the lottery, a large enough amount or the jackpot, I would call and quit as well, I don't like the job that I have, I dread going there, and I really want to quit.. Haven't found another job yet.. So a winfall is what I want to improve this life that I have..Party

Griffith, In
          United States
          Member #41637
          June 20, 2006
          266 Posts
          Posted: May 5, 2010, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

If I won the lottery, a large enough amount or the jackpot, I would call and quit as well, I don't like the job that I have, I dread going there, and I really want to quit.. Haven't found another job yet.. So a winfall is what I want to improve this life that I have..Party

Hi Elizebeth....

I know working at a place that does not make you feel good is a place that is not good for you at all.

Go with something that interests you and make the best of it.

Now for our winnings..... Hell yea! I would not call in... but depending on how my co-workers I would treat them all out for dinner or something... then run!

Lol!

Eddie

Thank you and have a prosperous day!

Maverick2842.......out!Party

CA
            United States
            Member #84266
            December 26, 2009
            410 Posts
            Posted: May 6, 2010, 2:44 am - IP Logged

I think everyone who plays the lottery hopes to improve the life that they have.

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
              Member #88435
              March 16, 2010
              397 Posts
              Posted: May 6, 2010, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

I discarded my vote.

I am not working right now so...it doesn't matter.

$1,000,000

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                NC
                United States
                Member #11741
                February 23, 2005
                1233 Posts
                Posted: May 6, 2010, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

I would actually go to work and give a two weeks notice.  I've been there for years and I want my retirement funds..Hellfire I earned it..lol

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM

joker831's avatar - Trek COMBADG3.gif
                  Tucson, Arizona
                  United States
                  Member #63404
                  July 27, 2008
                  102 Posts
                  Posted: May 6, 2010, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

After winning several million dollars..... WHY work at all?  I mean really.  There are a million other things that I would rather be doing.  Work has never been one of them.  I see a job as a necessary inconvienience.  It interfers with what I really want to do.  Travel, see the world, or as much of it as I can, but why in heavens name work at all?  Of course I do realize that there are some people out there that have a psychological need for work because of just the way they were raised or what not.  If you have several million dollars, the very last thing you should be doing is working.  Unless you are working on winning another lottery.  No work for me.

The possibilites are endless.... might as well start at the begining

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1649 Posts
                    Posted: May 6, 2010, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

This is a good topic. I believe that for the most part, it's not so much the actual jobs we perform but, rather the people we have to work with and for which makes it miserable. I like my work because I interact with people 100% of the time and most of them are very kind while some are contrary. The general public I can handle but, it's the all the "chiefs" in charge which tend to rub me the wrong way...just because they can. I'm sure others here feel me on this one.

You know, there's just something about those in charge always saying that "we" need to do this, that, and the other, yet, "they" never do anything but dictate to others. When I'm leading a crew, I help them to get things done because I don't place myself "above" them. I'd rather them to know they work "with" me than feel they work "for" me. I get more out of them...plain and simple. However, when the head honchos are present, they just sit around and stare at all the stuff which needs to be done...then talk about how "we're a team" but never lift a finger.

I know there's a gray area here...it's called SENIORITY. But, does it really hurt to show people that you're not "too big" to lead by example? Honestly. This is the reason why most people would simply walk away from their job if they came into sudden wealth...and I don't blame them. If only people were truly treated as though they mattered and are just as important as the higher up's, the work place would be so much better!!!

This is the reason why I spend all my time, money, and energy on the Pick games. I'm working on my plan which includes telling them just exactly how I feel about this whole ordeal. Won't change anything, I'm sure, but they'll know then that I don't need them like they think I do. That's all I want.

If I could have it my way, we'd all be able to hit quite regularly and not feel the pressures of having to answer to those who really don't have answers...they just "wing it" and get paid for doing so. Best wishes to everybody getting a much needed win!!

L.L.

Jack-C's avatar - us
                      San Diego, CA
                      United States
                      Member #61467
                      May 24, 2008
                      28146 Posts
                      Posted: May 6, 2010, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

How could someone win a few hundred million dollars and keep it a secret?  Never happen!!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                        Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5583 Posts
                        Posted: May 6, 2010, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

Upgrade to the Rare Breed barrel-proof 6-8-12 years old blend $31.95 750ml. I'm playing 6812 and 3195 on the 'morrow.

Click here to view larger image

Click here to view larger imageRarebreed

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #86154
                          January 30, 2010
                          1649 Posts
                          Posted: May 6, 2010, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

Upgrade to the Rare Breed barrel-proof 6-8-12 years old blend $31.95 750ml. I'm playing 6812 and 3195 on the 'morrow.

Click here to view larger image

Click here to view larger imageRarebreed

Outside of Crown Royal, I usually only drink clear liquors. I might be inclined to try this one...since it does have a classic history. When I worked overseas, a soldier turned me on to Old Forester which is a dark and very smooth liquor...in my opinion. Check it out sometime.

L.L.

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                            Santa Ana
                            United States
                            Member #71159
                            February 20, 2009
                            651 Posts
                            Posted: May 7, 2010, 12:07 am - IP Logged

I made a promise to one of my co-workers I would tell her ASAP.Banana

Monkey Butt, USA
                              United States
                              Member #54569
                              August 23, 2007
                              1124 Posts
                              Posted: May 10, 2010, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

I think I would call into work and say im sick. I definitely wouldn't tell any of my co-workers. What would you do?

1.  I would call in and take unscheduled vacation leave.

2.  Go cash in my ticket.

3.  Deposit winning check into my account or arrange for direct deposit of the funds into my account.

4.  Write my 2 week resignation letter.

5.  Mail my letter to personnel (certified-return receipt).

6.  Roll my retirement into a 401 or IRA or CD's.

7.  Go on with my life.

It's what I did when I resigned from my last job of 19.5 years.