Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Self Made Milionaires VS Lottery Made Millions.

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 7 years ago by GYM RICE.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: June 1, 2010, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Green laughwanna borrow my housekeeper? careful though she'll get into the tequila.

Some people say I'm very hard on the hired help but they're sorely mistaken

Just because I forbid them to make eye contact with me and require them to slither on the floor like worms when in my presence.

Well excuse me for breathing, I don't like my view being blocked!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

pepper1's avatar - batman38
    hotatlanta
    United States
    Member #70664
    February 8, 2009
    1446 Posts
    Posted: June 1, 2010, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

It often doesn't take long for lottery millionaires to become snobs.

Watch "Private chefs of Beverly Hills". Some of those rich people are just plain goofy!

"selling New York" brings up a bunch of snobs.

It just matters who you are inside.

MarkP

I  watch those shows. We don't really know these people personal. I feel that they act this way for better shows. You

have to have somebody to hate. and somebody to love. Make for good T.V

Kennesaw, GA
      United States
      Member #62138
      June 18, 2008
      1413 Posts
      Posted: June 1, 2010, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

on a serious note, I never judge anyone on the amount of money they have nor the lack of money. you can be broke as hell and still be snooty, and vice versa, take each person as they are and forget any $ signs attached to them.

i agree!!

United States
        Member #85338
        January 13, 2010
        143 Posts
        Posted: June 1, 2010, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I think it depends on the person's upbringing and whether they have self control or not.

A person could be a self made millionaire and realize that they had to work to get where they are. Their kids, on the other hand, could be spoiled rotten because they live the "entitled" life.  If the self made millionaire had self control and didn't spoil the kids, you might not see this happen.

The same goes for the lottery millionaire, lay low, don't make too many promises, and make sure the kids don't feel entitled to everything. The only problem with the lottery winner and self control is that they may have to say no to alot of long lost friends looking for a handout. One may come across as a snob but because they just received a windfall, they need to excerise self control.

I am not a lottery jackpot winner, yet, and I am not a millionaire. I do have a plan that will hopefully allow me to prolong my winnings for the benefit of the greater good.

Pay all taxes first.

Pay off debt. The money spent on a mortgage could be used to fund other endeavors like donate to a scholarship fund or allow me to scale back work to do volunteer work.

Donate to my selected charities. Set up some type of yrly donation from a CRT

Set up something to give a little something to 8 of my family members....not alot, but a little something that will help them without them expecting it yearly and so that it would trip any gift tax....a little goes a long way.

Unless I can claim anonymously, I may come across as a snob and say "no" but if I want this $ to do good not only for family and charities and myself, I want it to do it for a long time.

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40471 Posts
          Posted: June 1, 2010, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Some people say I'm very hard on the hired help but they're sorely mistaken

Just because I forbid them to make eye contact with me and require them to slither on the floor like worms when in my presence.

Well excuse me for breathing, I don't like my view being blocked!

trust me after a couple shots of tequila she'll be on the ground .....the gardener will have to scrape her up with a shovel.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: June 1, 2010, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

on a serious note, I never judge anyone on the amount of money they have nor the lack of money. you can be broke as hell and still be snooty, and vice versa, take each person as they are and forget any $ signs attached to them.

Well said, Sully! Yes Nod

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19826 Posts
              Posted: June 1, 2010, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

What are your thoughts on self made millionaires and lottery made millionaires?

I personally don't know or met any millionaires but I would imagine that the self made millionaires are the snotty snooty ones in Beverly Hills where as the lottery made millionaires are the more down to earth people since they have never experienced such great wealth before. Now I'm not saying all self made millionaires are like that because there are always bad apples in any given tree. It's just one tree that has more bad apples. However I do respect the people who work hard to get to where they are but don't brag or be snooty about it.

IMO there are two kinds of lottery made millionaires out there. There is the wise person who has worked hard their whole lives but were dealt bad hands by the powers that be. Those are the kind of people who know the value of money and how hard it is to come by so they spend wisely. On the other hand there are the idiots who don't know the value of money so they blow it all on stupid things. We've all heard the stories about these people and how they say they wish it never happened.

How do you tell the difference?  And how do you know they are millionaires?  In my small town there are several of them around and I met a couple of them, one I worked with and the other I bought a hamburger from and didn't know they were millionaires until someone told me.

The one I worked with was the only child of parents who were big time farmers that over the years acquired a lot of farmland and when they died, he inherited their estate.  Since he never liked farming he started a career in manufacturing at the plant where I worked.

The other one served me a hamburger at the grand opening of a new McDonald in our town and the person I was with had read in the paper earlier about him being the owner who also owed a couple of other McDonald franchises in the county.

Heck, even Dave Thomas who founded Wendy came to our town in his luxury motor home and served food at the local Wendy and met a few folks a couple of years before he died.  No one had to tell me who he was because I recognized him from his TV commercials.

My point is, you've probable have already met some millionaires and their behavior good or bad wasn't a problem because you didn't know their personal worth.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NH
                United States
                Member #83352
                December 5, 2009
                223 Posts
                Posted: June 1, 2010, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

Didn't the movie Titanic show the different personalities of people with new money and old money?