Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Bad Do You Need To Win?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 6 years ago by tiggs95.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: June 9, 2010, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

People go through rough times and there are some stories like that in this very thread, but unfortunately the lottery doesn't work on a "deserve to win" basis.

Once in a really blue moon so to speak such a story surfaces with a jackpot winner, but then there's the Jack Whitakers.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

victorl3ichiban's avatar - georgemichael
    san jose
    United States
    Member #53761
    July 20, 2007
    277 Posts
    Posted: June 9, 2010, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Really bad, blessing to all.

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
      Member #88435
      March 16, 2010
      397 Posts
      Posted: June 9, 2010, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

People go through rough times and there are some stories like that in this very thread, but unfortunately the lottery doesn't work on a "deserve to win" basis.

Once in a really blue moon so to speak such a story surfaces with a jackpot winner, but then there's the Jack Whitakers.

Original Post by THRUST

-I am going to stop some of you before you start with..."The lottery doesn't care if you need it or not..." We all know that.-

I believe I covered that in my original post...thanks anyway. Roll Eyes

$1,000,000

CA
        United States
        Member #84266
        December 26, 2009
        410 Posts
        Posted: June 9, 2010, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you Nino. I have my Associates in Pastry Arts from a Culinary school here in Pittsburgh. Let me tell you, if I had to do it all again, I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, it was a great experience, but it's not as glamourous as your made to think. Once I graduated in 2000 I made minimum wage, so that didn't last for long. I ended up finding another job, outside of cooking, where I made almost twice as much. I tell people if your going to go, do it for the experience, but don't think your going to make $100,000 getting right out of school, or even $50,000 for that matter. There is a lot of nepitism in that field. Right now I'm working on my bachelor's in Business, at least I know I can take that degree anywhere.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I don't know if I need to win that BAD. I am a typical American who wants the dreams and buying power incredible wealth can bring. I'm not even middle class, but I work and go to school. I'd like to not worry about bills, or work paycheck to paycheck. I'd also like to help out those who selflessly gave their time and money to help me out when I needed it the most.;)

At least you were able to find a job outside of cooking. I don't have any other experience and even the "entry level" jobs that I apply to don't come through. Don't get me wrong, I loved going to culinary school and I had fun cooking but it just doesn't cut it. If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have gone to culinary school right out of HS.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10344 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2010, 2:52 am - IP Logged

Original Post by THRUST

-I am going to stop some of you before you start with..."The lottery doesn't care if you need it or not..." We all know that.-

I believe I covered that in my original post...thanks anyway. Roll Eyes

Sorry THRUST, I got caught up in the stories and forgot you mentioned this in the OP.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
            Member #88435
            March 16, 2010
            397 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2010, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Sorry THRUST, I got caught up in the stories and forgot you mentioned this in the OP.

It's all good and yes the Lottery doesn't care...but positive vibes from others do not hurt. Smiley
            I know if someone is worse off than me I hope for the best in their situation. Thumbs Up

$1,000,000

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
              Member #55246
              September 20, 2007
              225 Posts
              Posted: June 10, 2010, 6:46 pm - IP Logged
              It's all good and yes the Lottery doesn't care...but positive vibes from others do not hurt. Smiley
              I know if someone is worse off than me I hope for the best in their situation. Thumbs Up

THRUST, my situation is worst than yours (not joking)... I do not think about tomorrow anymore. I just thank God everyday for providing my family our needs for the day. I worship Him and give Him my praise moment by moment. He gives me peace and joy beyond comprehension.

Puffalishous's avatar - disney20

United States
                Member #88150
                March 10, 2010
                318 Posts
                Posted: June 10, 2010, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I hope that you are all blessed and if I ever hit big, I will help you out.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19814 Posts
                  Posted: June 10, 2010, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

How big is big enough to start helping other LP members?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Puffalishous's avatar - disney20

United States
                    Member #88150
                    March 10, 2010
                    318 Posts
                    Posted: June 10, 2010, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

That's a good question. I would say a ten o or above would put me in the position where I could help

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                      Member #47420
                      November 4, 2006
                      3930 Posts
                      Posted: June 10, 2010, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Be careful when you say something like this around ridge..He be commin aknockin..

Florida
                        United States
                        Member #90732
                        May 3, 2010
                        12 Posts
                        Posted: June 11, 2010, 12:53 am - IP Logged

ALthough my situation is nowhere dire as Thrust's situation, but I think I play for the same reason as everyone else on this forum - to better our lives and make the most life has to offer.

I'm still young (21yrs of age) and I attend top 10 school in the country (referring to U.S News Report on College Ranking) but I wont mention the school's name because I would feel embarrased if anyone of my peers/friends found out that I played the lotto hoping to get lucky in life. As soon as I graduate, I will probably end up with a cushy comfortable salary of $60,000~$75,000 at an entry level consulting firm or at any of the fortune 500 companies. I've been paying $52,000 per year on tution and room and board and if I subtract my parent's wonderful contribution, I have about $10,000 worth of student debt every year. Unfortuantely those loans are private loans, interest compounding at 8% (yikes!) even while i'm at school - surprisingly deferrance on the loans weren't an option.

So the idea that has been sold to me since I was little was, "work hard in school, get perfect GPA, graduate first or at least second in your class (high school), and attend top 10 school to make six-figure salary by the age of 25.  GREAT! - not really...

Well, it just seems that life is mundane. Sure I have yet to factor in the level of joy raising a family would contribute to the overall scale, but the whole idea of trying to climb the corporate ladder seems like an isipid way to live. Sure, it will be a rather comfortable life compared to most in this country but nevertheless, I would love to find a way to circumvent much of the hogwash and allow myself to apply myself to a more grandeur pursuit (sorry for being very vague there).

Thus that's the reason why I play the lotto. I dont play profusely, but just $10 per week when the lottery is actually worth the expected value of $1 (meaning, the price of ticket (which is $1) matches the value of the actual ticket of $1). I havn't done the math for it in awhile, but I remember I came up with somewhere around $130million Jackpot - sorry I did the math senior in high school so I forgot the exact numbers. All in all, I end up spending about $30/month on powerball tickets. And $40 is not a lot of money at all to spend/waste (depending on your opinion) for an opportunity to escape the prosaic life, the society forces you to have.

To me the end game is quite simple. If I win, great, I can do something more with my life and actually apply my gifts to something else in life - perhaps being smart enough to earn a perfect score on the SAT or the IQ of 155 wont be wasted on slaving myself for someone else's gain or killing myself in this awful rat race called life.

If dont ever win, the end is still simple. I go on with my life, the way it was originally planned for me all along, and I join corporate america or get a i-banker job on wallstreet earn the hatred of people on main street and hate life (in moderation) for not doing much with personal intellect and overall, life.

Sorry for the grammatical/structural errors... it was only a tirade... nothing more. I dont think forum posts are worth the effort anyhow.

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                          Santa Ana
                          United States
                          Member #71159
                          February 20, 2009
                          651 Posts
                          Posted: June 11, 2010, 1:41 am - IP Logged

I am sure everyone here wants to win...why else would you be playing...but how bad do you need to win? What 3 things going on in your life would a big win help with the most?

1. I have medical stuff I need done and medical bills that need paid.

2. I have been out of work because of illness and even though I am better I can't find anything...like I have been black listed or something.

3. I live with family in a run-down shack(I am not kidding) with no hot water and the place needs condemned...I would just love to have my own house and a new vehicle(my much older current one needs repairs).

All in all I need to win pretty bad. 

I am going to stop some of you before you start with..."The lottery doesn't care if you need it or not..." We all know that.

I also just find it sad I can't even get help with any of this in my own community...which is bad because when I was working and had money I helped out alot of people.

Of course everyone @ LP wants to win the lottery; they/I certainly don't want to continue to play to keep losing; at one point eventually we/I will win and as to when that will happen is exactly anyone's guess--(are you listening Lottery Fairy??Wink) Anyway besides the obvious, paying off all of my outstanding debts, just once in my life I would like to own my own home and travel a bit.

MILLION22Q$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                            raleigh, north carolina
                            United States
                            Member #92685
                            June 12, 2010
                            68 Posts
                            Posted: June 12, 2010, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

I HOPE YOU WIN SOON!!!  I hope you win a ton load of money.  My story is similiar to yours... and one good bit of money

would do it for me.  Money may not buy complete happiness, but enough of it buys everything else!!!

A quote from Mad Money...the movie!  Yes, indeed!!! Good Luck,  hang in there... don't give in and don't give up!!!

Visualize and then Materialize... Mega Millions Millions & MILLIONS 4 ME $$$$ 

God is space...........Demonstrated! 

The light from just one candle can dispel a sea of darkness so...let there be LIGHT!!!  Sun Smiley

Opti-Mystic's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg

Bahamas
                              Member #91247
                              May 13, 2010
                              151 Posts
                              Posted: June 13, 2010, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

THRUST, my situation is worst than yours (not joking)... I do not think about tomorrow anymore. I just thank God everyday for providing my family our needs for the day. I worship Him and give Him my praise moment by moment. He gives me peace and joy beyond comprehension.

Jack Pot, you WILL WIN - because I decree it! 

When you win, I want you to give 10 percent to THRUST and 5 percent to Badboy00z - only Badboy00z is gonna have to change his name (its collecting too many bad vibes).

The "Winners Circle"  is incomplete without me!