Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 10:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What do you really think the lottery doesn't have figured out?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 7 years ago by beaudad.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10392 Posts
Posted: July 14, 2010, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Including everything from Pick 3 to PB and MM and scratchers and raffles do you really think there is anything the lotteries don;t have figured out?

For example, rafles are always advertised as the best chance at winning $1,000,000 - but are they, relative to the buy in?

Many state lotteries start at a jackpot of $2 million, some even $1 million, but the ticlet price is $1. Rafles are $10 and $20 or more.

So a winning $1,000,000 $20 raffle ticket actually won $50,000 for every dollar spent.

As another example, the lotteries know that most lower tier prizes go right back into purchasing more tickets.

Another is PB and MM. One has an upper matrix of 59 numbers and a lower matrix of 39.

The other has an upper matrix of 56 and a lower matrix of 46.

Pick your poison so to speak.

Is there anything they've really overlooked?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    42221 Posts
    Posted: July 14, 2010, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

HyperBe Happy.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: July 14, 2010, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

They haven't figured out how to make the people believe the computers are truly random.

They have however found out it doesn't matter because people will play anyway.

They've found out that they can pretty much do whatever they want and the people will still play.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19904 Posts
        Posted: July 14, 2010, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Lotteries have gotten smarter over the years and their games have gotten harder to win.  Remember back when Virgina lottery had a jackpot worth quite a big more than the odds of winning it and an Australia investment group tried to buy all 10M possible combinations and won the jackpot all by themselves.  They showed with enough money and time when the jackpots were worth winning they could win them.  That can't/wouldn't happen today.

There probably someone trying to figure a way to beat the system now and if they do and they make winning look easy, lotteries will change or adjust their rules so it won't/can't happen again.

When over 200 players matched 5+0 in one PowerBall drawing a couple of years back, they were all over that figuring out what happened.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: July 14, 2010, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

Lotteries have gotten smarter over the years and their games have gotten harder to win.  Remember back when Virgina lottery had a jackpot worth quite a big more than the odds of winning it and an Australia investment group tried to buy all 10M possible combinations and won the jackpot all by themselves.  They showed with enough money and time when the jackpots were worth winning they could win them.  That can't/wouldn't happen today.

There probably someone trying to figure a way to beat the system now and if they do and they make winning look easy, lotteries will change or adjust their rules so it won't/can't happen again.

When over 200 players matched 5+0 in one PowerBall drawing a couple of years back, they were all over that figuring out what happened.

Yeah, the fortune cookie winners.

I still play em whenever we go out for Chinese.

Ya never know.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19904 Posts
            Posted: July 14, 2010, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, the fortune cookie winners.

I still play em whenever we go out for Chinese.

Ya never know.

I read the cookie company made copies of a hand written message to put in their cookies and that was the reason there was a group of messages with the same numbers.  They have since bought a machine to print each message and there will never be group of messages with the same numbers again.

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #81843
              October 31, 2009
              856 Posts
              Posted: July 14, 2010, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

I’ll tell you what they have not figured out and that is how to keep the guaranteed annuities, guaranteed. Not with all what has happed on wall street.

As they become more conservative in their investments they watch for you, the tighter the squeeze on the economy. Their only hope and dream is double digit interest rates. Cash is king. I just hope they are not in gold, because like the sure-thing real estate, it can and has gone south. 

They will be robbing Peter to pay Paul to guarantee.

Every state is anticipating huge budget shortfalls next year.

DD

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
                Member #88435
                March 16, 2010
                397 Posts
                Posted: July 14, 2010, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

I’ll tell you what they have not figured out and that is how to keep the guaranteed annuities, guaranteed. Not with all what has happed on wall street.

As they become more conservative in their investments they watch for you, the tighter the squeeze on the economy. Their only hope and dream is double digit interest rates. Cash is king. I just hope they are not in gold, because like the sure-thing real estate, it can and has gone south. 

They will be robbing Peter to pay Paul to guarantee.

Every state is anticipating huge budget shortfalls next year.

DD

"Every state is anticipating huge budget shortfalls next year."

I don't know about next year, but...

U.S. House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R-Va., commended Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell after McDonnell announced Virginia ended fiscal 2010 with a $220 million surplus.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/blogs/capital-land/cantor-praises-virginias-budget-surplus-98460714.html

$1,000,000

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19904 Posts
                  Posted: July 14, 2010, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Including everything from Pick 3 to PB and MM and scratchers and raffles do you really think there is anything the lotteries don;t have figured out?

For example, rafles are always advertised as the best chance at winning $1,000,000 - but are they, relative to the buy in?

Many state lotteries start at a jackpot of $2 million, some even $1 million, but the ticlet price is $1. Rafles are $10 and $20 or more.

So a winning $1,000,000 $20 raffle ticket actually won $50,000 for every dollar spent.

As another example, the lotteries know that most lower tier prizes go right back into purchasing more tickets.

Another is PB and MM. One has an upper matrix of 59 numbers and a lower matrix of 39.

The other has an upper matrix of 56 and a lower matrix of 46.

Pick your poison so to speak.

I would like to think they cover all the basics but after Tennessee installed their RNG and never noticed that it didn't generate doubles in the pick3 game for several weeks in spite of players telling them about it, I have to wonder if they aren't depending on the companies that provide their equipment to do that.

Some years ago, Ohio had a daily loser drawings in which players could send $10 worth of losing tickets in a envelope and they would picked some randomly for prizes.  After a while they noticed most of the winners were from Cleveland where their headquarter is and on further investigation found most of them worked in the local post office.  It turns out the postal workers were sticking their envelopes in the top of each mail bag and the lottery folks were taking their envelopes from the top of each bags assuming the bags were well mixed.  By the time they noticed what was going on, the contest was over.

There are probably some things they still overlook but they won't know about them until someone takes advantage of them.

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #75358
                    June 1, 2009
                    5345 Posts
                    Posted: July 15, 2010, 12:14 am - IP Logged

One thing I know the lottery hasn't figured out is........................................What dimension/s my socks go to when doing laundry.

New York,
                      Panama
                      Member #73078
                      April 4, 2009
                      3490 Posts
                      Posted: July 15, 2010, 1:02 am - IP Logged

They have not figured out how to get me to stop bothering  them about the test-draw results: I kept e-mailing them about the test draw for  pick 3 pick-4 

Now they sent me this e-mail reply about been more specific with drawing records what part of pick-3 and pick 4 is hard to understand but I did not tell them what time period so they do have that right!!!   I responded to their questions so let's see what I get back!!! 

Every Lottery Post Member should make the same request to the Lottery office in their State:

They also have yet to figured out how do I come up with those crazy off the wall  digits to play,  I say the same way they come up with theirs!! LOL...LOL..

Dear Ms. Rosina

I am writing in response to your recent e-mail request for information
                      (below), pursuant to Freedom of Information Law (FOIL), New York Public
                      Officers Law Section 87.

With respect to your request, the Freedom of Information Law is designed
                      to provide public access to certain documents.  Your e-mail, however,
                      does not request any specific drawing records.  We perform test drawings
                      for all of our Lottery drawings.  What Lottery game are you referring to
                      and for what time period are you seeking the test drawing results?
                      Please provide with specificity details of the records you are seeking
                      to obtain.

I will await your response before proceeding further with your request.
                      If I do not hear from you within two weeks from the date of this e-mail,
                      I will assume you are no longer interested in the materials requested
                      and will cancel your request.

Thank you for your interest in the New York Lottery.

Sincerely,

Michelle Barbetta
                      Records Access Officer
                      New York Lottery
                      One Broadway Center
                      P.O. Box 7500
                      Schenectady, NY  12301-7500
                      (518) 388-3400
                      (518) 388-3403 - Fax

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: July 15, 2010, 1:10 am - IP Logged

RJOh,

That Tenn. situiation makes me wonder if once they got a lottery they didn't pass out jobs to good ole boys or people owed favors instead of lottery people.

It makes me think of the very short lived season of legalized sports betting in Delaware. The just asked people working on offices to make pointspreads instead of using the real ones. Guys were flying out from Vegas just to make bets and they made a killing.But that was early 1980s, maybe even earlier.

By now it wouldnt surprise me to fid out that the lotteries themselves have people trying to "crack the code" - not to beat the lottery, but to make sure it can't be cracked.

I subscribe to an e-mail off of the Missouri Lottery website (although I'm in Illinois) and they send surveys out that are pretty specific. They ask you would you play a proposed game, then at the end it has the expected revenue and payouts down to the dollar. They've pretty ell got it down to a science, including approximately how many times a year the game would payout a jackpot.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                          Member #92551
                          June 9, 2010
                          16 Posts
                          Posted: July 15, 2010, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

They haven't figured out that allowing people to purchase tickets online would most definitely increase their revenue and broaden their demographic to more 18-30 year old players. I have been looking for a good place to play online but many of the companies that allow you to purchase tickets for drawings are European based - how could they purchase the tickets when it requires cash from a registered merchant? I mean look at online gambling - although technically illegal in the US - millions of people are playing poker, blackjack, slots and other games online. Why not the lottery? If anyone knows of a good site, LMK!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19904 Posts
                            Posted: July 15, 2010, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

RJOh,

That Tenn. situiation makes me wonder if once they got a lottery they didn't pass out jobs to good ole boys or people owed favors instead of lottery people.

It makes me think of the very short lived season of legalized sports betting in Delaware. The just asked people working on offices to make pointspreads instead of using the real ones. Guys were flying out from Vegas just to make bets and they made a killing.But that was early 1980s, maybe even earlier.

By now it wouldnt surprise me to fid out that the lotteries themselves have people trying to "crack the code" - not to beat the lottery, but to make sure it can't be cracked.

I subscribe to an e-mail off of the Missouri Lottery website (although I'm in Illinois) and they send surveys out that are pretty specific. They ask you would you play a proposed game, then at the end it has the expected revenue and payouts down to the dollar. They've pretty ell got it down to a science, including approximately how many times a year the game would payout a jackpot.

It has been revealed more than once while people are appointed to run lotteries by the states, many of their proposals and ideas for new games and new equipment are written by professionals who have an interest is selling lottery equipment and supplies.

Evil Looking       

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                              Member #47420
                              November 4, 2006
                              3930 Posts
                              Posted: July 15, 2010, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

They haven't figured out how to make the people believe the computers are truly random.

They have however found out it doesn't matter because people will play anyway.

They've found out that they can pretty much do whatever they want and the people will still play.

ridge ole pal it's THIER game THIER rules..If you don't like THIER game and THIER rules don't play..That is tiggs rule to live by..Good luck ole pal ridge..