Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 9:52 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Number of odd combinations in a 5/39 game

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 6 years ago by GiveFive.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3817 Posts
Posted: August 23, 2010, 11:57 am - IP Logged

There are a total of 575,757 combinations of 5 numbers in a 5/39 game.

Since there are 19 even numbers in the set of 39 numbers, and 20 odd numbers, it seems to me that there are a slightly larger number of combinations with a 3 odd 2 even split, than a 3 even 2 odd split.

Does any one know how to calculate the number of 3 odd 2 even combinations? If so, how many are there?  Thanks in advance.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

johnph77's avatar - avatar
    CA
    United States
    Member #2987
    December 10, 2003
    832 Posts
    Posted: August 23, 2010, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

You are correct.

The number of combinations in 3/20 can be calculated with the formula (20x19x18)/1x2x3) = 1,140.

The number of combinations in 2/19 can be calculated with the formula (19x18)/(1x2) = 171.

Multiplying these two results will give you the total number of 3 odd/2 even in a 5/39 game - 194,940.

Conversely, the number of combinations in 3/19 can be calculated with the formula (19x18x17)/(1x2x3) = 969

The number of combinations in 2/20 can be calculated with the formula (20x19)/(1/2) = 190.

Multiplying these two results will give you the number of 2 odd/3 even in a 5/39 game - 184,110.

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

NY State
      United States
      Member #92609
      June 10, 2010
      3817 Posts
      Posted: August 24, 2010, 8:07 am - IP Logged

You are correct.

The number of combinations in 3/20 can be calculated with the formula (20x19x18)/1x2x3) = 1,140.

The number of combinations in 2/19 can be calculated with the formula (19x18)/(1x2) = 171.

Multiplying these two results will give you the total number of 3 odd/2 even in a 5/39 game - 194,940.

Conversely, the number of combinations in 3/19 can be calculated with the formula (19x18x17)/(1x2x3) = 969

The number of combinations in 2/20 can be calculated with the formula (20x19)/(1/2) = 190.

Multiplying these two results will give you the number of 2 odd/3 even in a 5/39 game - 184,110.

Thanks so much!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10390 Posts
        Posted: August 26, 2010, 2:37 am - IP Logged

GiveFive

"Perimeter" numbers ( top sand bottom row, left and right outside columns) work out the same way, 20 and 19, but it just doesn't seem to matter as far as predictability goes. Not drawing by drawing. If you were to play thousands of drawings, sure, it would prove itself out, but day by day, goos luck.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY State
          United States
          Member #92609
          June 10, 2010
          3817 Posts
          Posted: September 1, 2010, 10:15 am - IP Logged

You are correct.

If I want to calculate the number of combinations in a "group" of numbers in a 5/39 game, how would I do that?  For instance, if I take the entire set of 39 numbers (1 - 39) and break it into 3 ranges of numbers. 

(1 - 13, 14 - 26, & 27 - 39)

How many possible combinations of 5 numbers are there in each of those three ranges?   Thanks again!

CA
            United States
            Member #2987
            December 10, 2003
            832 Posts
            Posted: September 1, 2010, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Each group you cite has 13 numbers. The formula for 5-number groupings from 13 possibilities would be: (13x12x11x10x9x8)/(1x2x3x4x5) - 1,287.

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3817 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2010, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Each group you cite has 13 numbers. The formula for 5-number groupings from 13 possibilities would be: (13x12x11x10x9x8)/(1x2x3x4x5) - 1,287.

Once again, thank you very much!

I'm curious as to why you stopped multiplying after using 8 in thr front half of the equation.  Since there are 5 numbers picked, why wouldnt you stop after using 9?  If it's too complicated or complex to easily explain in a post, then that's fine....  I'm simply curious and I dont have a burning need to know!

BTW, prior to posting here, I Googled "calculating lottery odds", and I got quite a few hits.  Some sites even have built-in calculators that will do the math for you, but I didnt see exactly what I was looking for.

CA
                United States
                Member #2987
                December 10, 2003
                832 Posts
                Posted: September 1, 2010, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Because I screwed up. When entering the formula, "8" shouldn't be included - there are only five numbers in the desired combination.

The correct formula (and the one I used to obtain the actual number of combinations) is: (13x12x11x10x9)/(1x2x3x4x5) - 1,287

=^.^=

NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  3817 Posts
                  Posted: September 1, 2010, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Because I screwed up. When entering the formula, "8" shouldn't be included - there are only five numbers in the desired combination.

The correct formula (and the one I used to obtain the actual number of combinations) is: (13x12x11x10x9)/(1x2x3x4x5) - 1,287

After I submitted my post, I used a calculator and did the math w/o using the 8, and got a result of 1,287!  Had I done that first, then I wouldnt have needed to bother you!  Sorry!

E-mailed you a link to the website.... Thanks!

CA
                    United States
                    Member #2987
                    December 10, 2003
                    832 Posts
                    Posted: September 1, 2010, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for pointing out my error and giving me the chance to correct it.

=^.^=

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                      The Ville, FL
                      United States
                      Member #95879
                      August 19, 2010
                      1708 Posts
                      Posted: September 3, 2010, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Another way to calculate the different possiblities in a group of numbers is by using the COMBIN function in excel

For example say you have 15 numbers you play and you want groups of 3. The function would be :

=COMBIN(15,3)

that would give you 455 combinations.

Not sure if that helps or not but its pretty cool

NY State
                        United States
                        Member #92609
                        June 10, 2010
                        3817 Posts
                        Posted: September 4, 2010, 7:53 am - IP Logged

Another way to calculate the different possiblities in a group of numbers is by using the COMBIN function in excel

For example say you have 15 numbers you play and you want groups of 3. The function would be :

=COMBIN(15,3)

that would give you 455 combinations.

Not sure if that helps or not but its pretty cool

Thanks for the tip!  I'll give it a try.

And you're right, it is cool!

United States
                          Member #94616
                          July 24, 2010
                          4735 Posts
                          Posted: September 5, 2010, 7:36 am - IP Logged

Is there a way to get EXCEL to 'create' the list of 1287?

winsumloosesum's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                            Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #2218
                            September 1, 2003
                            5396 Posts
                            Posted: October 2, 2010, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

Below is a download link to an Excel file that will generate 1287 combinations per group.

http://www.box.net/shared/0p4mx5hohn

Open the Excel file and in cell C1 enter either a 1, 2, or 3. 

Click an empty cell under cell C1. 

Then click the Toolbar.

The 1287 combinations will appear starting in cell M1.

In cell H1 you will see the legend for each Group number.

NY State
                              United States
                              Member #92609
                              June 10, 2010
                              3817 Posts
                              Posted: October 4, 2010, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Below is a download link to an Excel file that will generate 1287 combinations per group.

http://www.box.net/shared/0p4mx5hohn

Open the Excel file and in cell C1 enter either a 1, 2, or 3. 

Click an empty cell under cell C1. 

Then click the Toolbar.

The 1287 combinations will appear starting in cell M1.

In cell H1 you will see the legend for each Group number.

Winsum,

Very nice spreadsheet, thanks!

Something has been bothering me about the possible number of 5 number combos in a group of 13.  I printed out a chart  from a website that shows many many more combo's for a group of 12.  (1 - 12, 13 - 24, & 25 - 36) 

I agree that the forumla johnph77 provided is correct, so how the people that generated the chart that appears on that website actually generated the numbers for their chart is a mystery to me.

You can see the chart at <snip> dot com slash ruletwo dot htm. 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.