Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Substantial interface changes to Lottery Post

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Todd.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
Harrison Township Michigan
United States
Member #90088
April 21, 2010
4265 Posts
Posted: September 29, 2010, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Yes, if you only knew what I've been going through to keep the site up this week, you'd be amazed.  I have been struggling not only to cope with the changes that have been installed on the site this week, but also with some massive security holes that were discovered this past weekend in the Microsoft technology that drives the site.  There's just one person (me) who is trying to deal with all of these things simultaneously.  I wish I had a big budget and IT staff to help out, but I don't.

I wish i had the knowledge you require for your IT staff, i would donate my time free of charge to assist you.

CutlassBob

"You can't handle the truth!" Nicholson.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23260 Posts
    Posted: September 29, 2010, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

I wish i had the knowledge you require for your IT staff, i would donate my time free of charge to assist you.

CutlassBob

You're a class act CutlassBob, thanks.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
      North Carolina
      United States
      Member #59855
      March 29, 2008
      31517 Posts
      Posted: September 30, 2010, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for all you do Todd!

I don't know how you keep your sanity somedays!

Get some rest somehow!See Ya!

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
        Harrison Township Michigan
        United States
        Member #90088
        April 21, 2010
        4265 Posts
        Posted: September 30, 2010, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

You're a class act CutlassBob, thanks.

Anytime Sir;

At my previous job i did assist the Master Tech keep our antiquated UNIX system running.  

Am currently taking a class for Computer Networking and Security.

I've built Windows based computers since 1997, but never got into programming.

Used to make my own web pages and host Tournaments at Case Ladder for the game "Golden Tee Golf" That was a riot.

All for fun!

Thx again Chief.

Sincerely

CutlassBob

"You can't handle the truth!" Nicholson.

calabs's avatar - bass fret.jpg

United States
          Member #27050
          November 26, 2005
          40272 Posts
          Posted: October 1, 2010, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

Great upgrades Todd....you da master!  :)  While I have absolutely no issues at home using Windows 7 with IE8, I continue to have a problem pasting things into posts using IE6 with Windows XP at the office.  Any way that can be fixed?  Thanks!

Lep

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23260 Posts
            Posted: October 1, 2010, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Great upgrades Todd....you da master!  :)  While I have absolutely no issues at home using Windows 7 with IE8, I continue to have a problem pasting things into posts using IE6 with Windows XP at the office.  Any way that can be fixed?  Thanks!

Well, the best way to solve that is to install Google Chrome at work. Wink

I'm not sure why you're having trouble with IE6 on XP.  Although technically I don't support IE6 anymore, I do make sure to test the site in IE6/WinXP, and I fix any obvious problems I see.  No detailed testing though.  It's becoming too big of a task to support that crazy-ancient browser.

For example, I did test the menus extensively under IE6, and made several design changes just to accommodate IE6.

That being said, I have tested pasting into the editor under IE6/WinXP, and it does work.  If you're trying to paste something like a spreadsheet or word doc, use the Paste as Word button.  Or, if all else fails, try the Paste as Plain Text button.

If you're trying to paste some STYLED text from another program, and it's not working, then there's not much I can do about that.  The editor normally does a pretty good job of translating styles from another program, but that's not what it's designed for.  It's designed to style the text inside the editor., using the built-in features.

You must have seen that block that appears to IE6 users warning them that Lottery Post no longer supports IE6.  That's the truth!  I can't "officially" provide support anymore, because it's just too old and outdated -- it takes far too much effort to make it work, and makes designs very difficult to implement.

United States
              Member #27050
              November 26, 2005
              40272 Posts
              Posted: October 2, 2010, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Well, the best way to solve that is to install Google Chrome at work. Wink

I'm not sure why you're having trouble with IE6 on XP.  Although technically I don't support IE6 anymore, I do make sure to test the site in IE6/WinXP, and I fix any obvious problems I see.  No detailed testing though.  It's becoming too big of a task to support that crazy-ancient browser.

For example, I did test the menus extensively under IE6, and made several design changes just to accommodate IE6.

That being said, I have tested pasting into the editor under IE6/WinXP, and it does work.  If you're trying to paste something like a spreadsheet or word doc, use the Paste as Word button.  Or, if all else fails, try the Paste as Plain Text button.

If you're trying to paste some STYLED text from another program, and it's not working, then there's not much I can do about that.  The editor normally does a pretty good job of translating styles from another program, but that's not what it's designed for.  It's designed to style the text inside the editor., using the built-in features.

You must have seen that block that appears to IE6 users warning them that Lottery Post no longer supports IE6.  That's the truth!  I can't "officially" provide support anymore, because it's just too old and outdated -- it takes far too much effort to make it work, and makes designs very difficult to implement.

Thanks Todd - I'll try what you suggested about the "paste as plain text".  The way I've been pasting my workouts is to first paste into a Word Doc as formatted text, and copy that, and paste directly into the post. It's been working all this time, but now over the past week or two, it just stopped.  I understand what you're saying about not being able to support every browser, especially ones that are outdated....now as for installing Google Chrome on my work computer?!   I think the IT folks would have my head for that! They have been claiming that rollout of IE8 is coming for quite some time now.....(not holding my breath).

Keep up the fantastic work you do here Todd!!! 

Lep

United States
                Member #27050
                November 26, 2005
                40272 Posts
                Posted: October 4, 2010, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd - I'll try what you suggested about the "paste as plain text".  The way I've been pasting my workouts is to first paste into a Word Doc as formatted text, and copy that, and paste directly into the post. It's been working all this time, but now over the past week or two, it just stopped.  I understand what you're saying about not being able to support every browser, especially ones that are outdated....now as for installing Google Chrome on my work computer?!   I think the IT folks would have my head for that! They have been claiming that rollout of IE8 is coming for quite some time now.....(not holding my breath).

Keep up the fantastic work you do here Todd!!! 

Hey Todd -  Just wanted to let you know that the "paste from Word" suggestion worked like a charm!!  Thanks!!

Lep

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23260 Posts
                  Posted: October 5, 2010, 7:49 am - IP Logged

Awesome, glad it worked out!

United States
                    Member #81843
                    October 31, 2009
                    856 Posts
                    Posted: October 7, 2010, 6:40 am - IP Logged

-98.5k+100k=1.5k

1.5k/88D=0.0170455(100)=17/Day

Est point=33.33 Units of time:

Nov. 8-29, 2010.

100k LP'rs   BananaParty

PartyBananaParty

DD

lakerben's avatar - spherewall
                      New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #86099
                      January 29, 2010
                      11116 Posts
                      Posted: October 10, 2010, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for all your hard work.  I know its probably a glitch, but New Mexico isn't listed today on the VTrac System.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23260 Posts
                        Posted: October 11, 2010, 8:26 am - IP Logged

Thanks for all your hard work.  I know its probably a glitch, but New Mexico isn't listed today on the VTrac System.

Not a glitch, that's the way it's supposed to be.  New Mexico has no Sunday drawing, and there would be nothing to display.