Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you want to claim jackpot anonymously, how do you sign the back of the ticket?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
adelaide sa
Australia
Member #37136
April 11, 2006
3300 Posts
Posted: October 19, 2010, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

depends how much you win and how hard they try to find you.

name change private ph number.  move house.

dont foirward mail, i mean what possible mail could you need from old  pre-win life?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

CashQueen's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg
    Jacksonville, Florida
    United States
    Member #97540
    September 19, 2010
    21 Posts
    Posted: October 19, 2010, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

All the posts ARE TOO FUNNY!! I have laughed until I am crying! Lawyer jokes SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every day some Attorney has gone off with Client's Funds held in their account!!

You are correct with that much money why would YOU even open your mail?? Hire someone like Oprah does LOL!!!

I believe each State has its governing laws about WHAT happens to your Name, etc. if you win. Go with the flow then DISAPPEAR just like Movie Stars do!!

I had a friend who won very early on when the Lottery started in our state, she won a small prize of only 6,000.00 and she was flooded with calls to donate on behalf of a charity.

She had to change her phone to unlisted (the days before cell phones were so popular) then she moved. A small price to pay for MONEY.

Good Luck to all WHO WIN!!!

CashQueenSun Smiley

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
      North Carolina
      United States
      Member #64582
      September 1, 2008
      347 Posts
      Posted: October 19, 2010, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

In NC it states: "Q: If I should win a large top prize, do I have the option of remaining anonymous with regard to the media and the public?A: The NCEL will consider a winner’s name, city/county, and the prize amount a matter of public record, unless the winner produces a valid protective order or Address Confidentiality Program authorization card."

I do recall reading somewhere (and it could have changed since) that you could do a Blind Trust or possibly an LLC. So to me, a Blind Trust may be my only option. Having my name out there is not negotiable.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3300 Posts
        Posted: October 20, 2010, 3:21 am - IP Logged

i plan to changemy name  to art slicker, and never answer when im paged.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Colt45ML's avatar - 4eyes
          Jawja
          United States
          Member #87469
          February 25, 2010
          109 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2010, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Thanks again everyone for your responses!

Well, I looked at Wisconsin's website and this is what is says about being anonymous:

"Can a winner remain anonymous?

Not in the true sense of the word. Wisconsin has what is called an "open records law." In short, virtually any piece of information state government produces or controls is available to any organization or person requesting. The statutes are specific however, in determining what individual information may be subject to this law. Only information "in the public’s interest" may be released by a government agency. What this means for Lottery winners is two-fold. One, it has been determined that it is in the public’s interest to know there have been lottery winners, as the proceeds of the Lottery are for public use (property tax relief). Two, the Lottery, upon request must release the name of the winner and that person’s hometown. Any other information about the winner, future plans or background information will be released only with the winner’s consent. Likewise, the winner may or may not speak to the media—it is not required, nor can it be prevented."
          So, basically, I can't remain anonymous when I win?  I mean, if they release my name and hometown, I'm screwed!  I live in a very small town!!

No matter how populous the locale you live in (but especially if you are from somewhere small), it would certainly be best to not go back there for a good, long while after you have claimed your prize.  You would certainly have the means to go hideout somewhere anonymously, at least until all the hoopla blows over.

Be sassy and be happy.

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #58835
            February 27, 2008
            148 Posts
            Posted: October 20, 2010, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

No matter how populous the locale you live in (but especially if you are from somewhere small), it would certainly be best to not go back there for a good, long while after you have claimed your prize.  You would certainly have the means to go hideout somewhere anonymously, at least until all the hoopla blows over.

I have a very common name, like John Smith...(everytime I try to make a dang doctor's appt or haircut appt, there's thousands of us...they have to use my birthday, for goodness sakes'!) but I just worry about the safety of my children.

I think I would have to force myself to hideout, maybe somewhere tropical.  Sigh.  It would be so rough! Wink

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10348 Posts
              Posted: October 20, 2010, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

The information below is from the Missouri Lottery FAQ page. Some of it applies only to Missouri, but a lot of it applies anywhere - and makes a lot of sense.

If You Win a Jackpot

Claiming Prizes   |  Winning Ticket Tips

Do all of your numbers match those drawn? Sit down and take a few deep breaths — your life may never be the same again. However, before you shout your good news from the rooftop or quit your job, do some serious thinking and go through the following 10 steps:

Take your time on important decisions.This is the most important thing to remember. During a huge life change, it is crucial that you remain calm, take your time and don't make rash decisions like quitting your job or moving to another state. You will have a lot of decisions to make and you want to be sure they are the best decisions.

• The great news is you probably have more options and choices than ever before! And according to 97 percent of our past jackpot winners, the experience has been a very positive one.
              • For more information about claiming your prize or the process, call the Missouri Lottery headquarters at (573) 751-4050.

Sign your ticket and keep it secure.Before you do anything else, sign the back of your ticket and put it in a safe place. Your ticket is your only claim for the prize. We recommend a locked box or a safe deposit box.Mum's the word.Tell the fewest people possible. Good news spreads fast, and you may have news media coming to your door or people calling before you have a chance to place your claim or put your ticket in a safe place.4Get sound advice.Get professional tax and/or legal advice to help you decide the best way for you to claim your prize. When you Contact Us to claim your prize, you will have to do two things: A. Decide how you will claim your prize.No matter which payment plan you choose, the Lottery will withhold 25 percent federal and 4 percent state taxes on your prize payment. You may owe additional taxes depending upon your other income, etc.B. Decide how you will receive your jackpot money.If you win the Lotto jackpot, you can choose to receive the full amount in 25 annual payments minus taxes, or you can receive approximately one-half the advertised prize amount in one lump payment minus taxes. The lump-sum cash payment is about half of the advertised prize amount since you immediately get the money the Lottery would have invested during the next 25 years.If you win the Powerball jackpot, you can choose to receive the full amount in 30 graduated annuity payments throughout 29 years minus taxes, or you also can receive approximately one-half the advertised prize amount in one lump payment minus taxes. Again, the lump-sum cash payment is about half of the advertised prize amount since you immediately get the money the Lottery would have invested during the next 30 years.Note: You have exactly 60 days from the drawing date to choose the cash option. If you haven't made a decision by that time, the prize will automatically be paid out in 25 annual payments (Lotto) or 30 annual payments (Powerball).5Visit a Missouri Lottery office.You will be greeted at the Lottery office by one of our customer service representatives and given instructions. If you haven't done so already, you will fill out a Missouri Lottery claim form and IRS Form W-9 — Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification since your prize is over $600. If you have any questions about your claim or your prize, this is the time to ask Missouri Lottery personnel.6Do you want to hold a news conference?At the Lottery office, a member of the Lottery's communications staff will ask you questions about your win, such as how many tickets you bought, when you found out that you won and what you plan to do with your prize money. This information will be used for a news release.

• You will also be asked, but are not required, to participate in a news conference, most likely at the store where you purchased your winning ticket. News conferences can also be held at a Lottery office. This provides the media with a single photo opportunity and a chance for them to ask you a few questions without having each of them contact you at home or at work.
                • A. You want to do a news conference. — News conferences normally only last about 15 minutes and are held within a couple of days after your ticket validates. Your ticket is not considered validated until it passes confidential validation requirements at the Lottery's office in Jefferson City, normally within a couple of days after you place your claim. Keep in mind that your news conference should be a lot of fun, like weddings and other happy ceremonies.
                • B. You don't want to do a news conference. — It's your decision whether or not to participate in a news conference. However, your name and hometown are considered public information, and they will be released to the media. Not only is this information public by law, publishing it is necessary to ensure the integrity of the Lottery's games. If players were never provided with actual names, they may not believe the games are real or fair. If you choose not to do a news conference, the media may still attempt to contact you at home or your place of employment.

Relax.Once your ticket is in safe hands you can relax for a while. The Lotto prize process takes approximately 10 days to complete. The Powerball process, since 31 lotteries are involved, takes approximately 14 working days to complete. Within the next few weeks, you will be adding thousands or maybe millions of dollars to your bank or investment account. At this point, it's okay to do some serious dreaming. A new house? A special car? College for the kids or grandkids? A trip to Tahiti?8When the big day finally arrives.The last thing you will need to do is take an hour out of your schedule to meet with the Missouri Lottery's chief accountant, who will deliver your check. He or she will want to meet with you either at your home or another private place to go over the payment or payment schedule, and discuss the taxes that have been withheld.9Some other things to consider.You may want to change your telephone number, or get an answering machine and caller ID so you can screen your calls. After people hear that you've won, you may receive calls from friends who want to congratulate you or sales people who have heard about your good fortune. Remember to give any new telephone numbers to the Missouri Lottery, so staff members can contact you about any tax or law changes, upcoming Millionaires Reunions, etc.Depending on the amount of your jackpot, you may want to stay away from your home for a few days. If you've won a significant amount that has drawn national attention, the media may try to track you down at home for the story. Amounts of $50 million or less probably won't cause a great deal of media frenzy.

?????????http://www.molottery.com/whenyouwin/jackpotwin/shtm

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3300 Posts
                Posted: October 20, 2010, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

tks cointoss

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10348 Posts
                  Posted: October 21, 2010, 2:03 am - IP Logged

You're welcopmes, savagegoose.

When a lottery commission tells you to blow town for a few days if you win big I figure they're really serious about it, and that's saying something.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #58835
                    February 27, 2008
                    148 Posts
                    Posted: October 21, 2010, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Coin Toss.  Very interesting read!  Appreciate it!

Jack-C's avatar - us
                      San Diego, CA
                      United States
                      Member #61467
                      May 24, 2008
                      28146 Posts
                      Posted: October 21, 2010, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

The information below is from the Missouri Lottery FAQ page. Some of it applies only to Missouri, but a lot of it applies anywhere - and makes a lot of sense.

If You Win a Jackpot

Claiming Prizes   |  Winning Ticket Tips

Do all of your numbers match those drawn? Sit down and take a few deep breaths — your life may never be the same again. However, before you shout your good news from the rooftop or quit your job, do some serious thinking and go through the following 10 steps:

Take your time on important decisions.This is the most important thing to remember. During a huge life change, it is crucial that you remain calm, take your time and don't make rash decisions like quitting your job or moving to another state. You will have a lot of decisions to make and you want to be sure they are the best decisions.

• The great news is you probably have more options and choices than ever before! And according to 97 percent of our past jackpot winners, the experience has been a very positive one.
                      • For more information about claiming your prize or the process, call the Missouri Lottery headquarters at (573) 751-4050.

Sign your ticket and keep it secure.Before you do anything else, sign the back of your ticket and put it in a safe place. Your ticket is your only claim for the prize. We recommend a locked box or a safe deposit box.Mum's the word.Tell the fewest people possible. Good news spreads fast, and you may have news media coming to your door or people calling before you have a chance to place your claim or put your ticket in a safe place.4Get sound advice.Get professional tax and/or legal advice to help you decide the best way for you to claim your prize. When you Contact Us to claim your prize, you will have to do two things: A. Decide how you will claim your prize.No matter which payment plan you choose, the Lottery will withhold 25 percent federal and 4 percent state taxes on your prize payment. You may owe additional taxes depending upon your other income, etc.B. Decide how you will receive your jackpot money.If you win the Lotto jackpot, you can choose to receive the full amount in 25 annual payments minus taxes, or you can receive approximately one-half the advertised prize amount in one lump payment minus taxes. The lump-sum cash payment is about half of the advertised prize amount since you immediately get the money the Lottery would have invested during the next 25 years.If you win the Powerball jackpot, you can choose to receive the full amount in 30 graduated annuity payments throughout 29 years minus taxes, or you also can receive approximately one-half the advertised prize amount in one lump payment minus taxes. Again, the lump-sum cash payment is about half of the advertised prize amount since you immediately get the money the Lottery would have invested during the next 30 years.Note: You have exactly 60 days from the drawing date to choose the cash option. If you haven't made a decision by that time, the prize will automatically be paid out in 25 annual payments (Lotto) or 30 annual payments (Powerball).5Visit a Missouri Lottery office.You will be greeted at the Lottery office by one of our customer service representatives and given instructions. If you haven't done so already, you will fill out a Missouri Lottery claim form and IRS Form W-9 — Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification since your prize is over $600. If you have any questions about your claim or your prize, this is the time to ask Missouri Lottery personnel.6Do you want to hold a news conference?At the Lottery office, a member of the Lottery's communications staff will ask you questions about your win, such as how many tickets you bought, when you found out that you won and what you plan to do with your prize money. This information will be used for a news release.

• You will also be asked, but are not required, to participate in a news conference, most likely at the store where you purchased your winning ticket. News conferences can also be held at a Lottery office. This provides the media with a single photo opportunity and a chance for them to ask you a few questions without having each of them contact you at home or at work.
                        • A. You want to do a news conference. — News conferences normally only last about 15 minutes and are held within a couple of days after your ticket validates. Your ticket is not considered validated until it passes confidential validation requirements at the Lottery's office in Jefferson City, normally within a couple of days after you place your claim. Keep in mind that your news conference should be a lot of fun, like weddings and other happy ceremonies.
                        • B. You don't want to do a news conference. — It's your decision whether or not to participate in a news conference. However, your name and hometown are considered public information, and they will be released to the media. Not only is this information public by law, publishing it is necessary to ensure the integrity of the Lottery's games. If players were never provided with actual names, they may not believe the games are real or fair. If you choose not to do a news conference, the media may still attempt to contact you at home or your place of employment.

Relax.Once your ticket is in safe hands you can relax for a while. The Lotto prize process takes approximately 10 days to complete. The Powerball process, since 31 lotteries are involved, takes approximately 14 working days to complete. Within the next few weeks, you will be adding thousands or maybe millions of dollars to your bank or investment account. At this point, it's okay to do some serious dreaming. A new house? A special car? College for the kids or grandkids? A trip to Tahiti?8When the big day finally arrives.The last thing you will need to do is take an hour out of your schedule to meet with the Missouri Lottery's chief accountant, who will deliver your check. He or she will want to meet with you either at your home or another private place to go over the payment or payment schedule, and discuss the taxes that have been withheld.9Some other things to consider.You may want to change your telephone number, or get an answering machine and caller ID so you can screen your calls. After people hear that you've won, you may receive calls from friends who want to congratulate you or sales people who have heard about your good fortune. Remember to give any new telephone numbers to the Missouri Lottery, so staff members can contact you about any tax or law changes, upcoming Millionaires Reunions, etc.Depending on the amount of your jackpot, you may want to stay away from your home for a few days. If you've won a significant amount that has drawn national attention, the media may try to track you down at home for the story. Amounts of $50 million or less probably won't cause a great deal of media frenzy.

?????????http://www.molottery.com/whenyouwin/jackpotwin/shtm

Thank you, Coin Toss.  These are things that I have mentioned in this thread as well as other threads (others have too).  Not everyone listens, but this confirms what we have been saying.

Thanks again.

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                        Member #65961
                        October 11, 2008
                        162 Posts
                        Posted: October 21, 2010, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

So, I was daydreaming about when I win the lottery Wink and had a thought.  I would go to a family friend, who is a lawyer.  I would want him to set up a blind trust, so we could claim the jackpot anonymously.  How do you sign the back of the ticket if you claim it anonymously?  You can't sign your name, obviously.  Or do you sign your name and that part is confidential? 

Anyone know?

Since no one knows the answer to this question, I decided to call my state lottery office and find out what they had to say:

This is the information that I got from my phone call to the California Lottery office......

1. If you sign your name on the back of the ticket, that is the name that will be released to the public

2. If you want to claim your ticket anonymously, you must do the following:

• Call the CA state lottery office and tell them you would like to claim anonymously
                        • The legal division will review your request and they decide if they will accept  your LLC, Trust, Blind Trust, Partnership (which means you would have to have formed the LLC, Trust etc. before you submitt the ticket; this is probably why it takes weeks before the anonymous claim on large jackpots are reported to the media).
                        • They said it is their policy (CA Lottery) to review all request to claim prizes anonymously on a case by case basis as some have tried to claim prizes anonymously to avoid child support, spousal support etc.
                        • Once it is decided that you will claim anonymously, your representative (usually the lawyer who helped your form the trust) will provide the information to Lottery official for a press release (name of Trust, LLC etc, where you bought the ticket and when you bought the ticket....it is one winner, or a group or partnership.....) Any and all inquiries are to be directed to the representative of the Trust, LLC etc.
                        • They said any other questions that I may have regarding this would have to be forwarded to the legal division for an anonymous claim request and that would only be done if I was ready to claim a prize.
                          Jack-C's avatar - us
                          San Diego, CA
                          United States
                          Member #61467
                          May 24, 2008
                          28146 Posts
                          Posted: October 21, 2010, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

Since no one knows the answer to this question, I decided to call my state lottery office and find out what they had to say:

This is the information that I got from my phone call to the California Lottery office......

1. If you sign your name on the back of the ticket, that is the name that will be released to the public

2. If you want to claim your ticket anonymously, you must do the following:

• Call the CA state lottery office and tell them you would like to claim anonymously
                          • The legal division will review your request and they decide if they will accept  your LLC, Trust, Blind Trust, Partnership (which means you would have to have formed the LLC, Trust etc. before you submitt the ticket; this is probably why it takes weeks before the anonymous claim on large jackpots are reported to the media).
                          • They said it is their policy (CA Lottery) to review all request to claim prizes anonymously on a case by case basis as some have tried to claim prizes anonymously to avoid child support, spousal support etc.
                          • Once it is decided that you will claim anonymously, your representative (usually the lawyer who helped your form the trust) will provide the information to Lottery official for a press release (name of Trust, LLC etc, where you bought the ticket and when you bought the ticket....it is one winner, or a group or partnership.....) Any and all inquiries are to be directed to the representative of the Trust, LLC etc.
                          • They said any other questions that I may have regarding this would have to be forwarded to the legal division for an anonymous claim request and that would only be done if I was ready to claim a prize.

Thank you for the great info.  Of course, forming a trust, LLC, or corporation is not a failsafe way of staying anonymous.  The names of the trustees, or officers are usually public information (with a little digging!). 

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                            Member #65961
                            October 11, 2008
                            162 Posts
                            Posted: October 21, 2010, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for the great info.  Of course, forming a trust, LLC, or corporation is not a failsafe way of staying anonymous.  The names of the trustees, or officers are usually public information (with a little digging!). 

You are so right....

After some further investigating I did find that your "Trust" can actually be owned by another "Trust" to make it difficult for the true ownership of the first Trust to be revealed.

In other words, anyone who wanted to know who owns the first Trust would only come across the name of another "Trust" (example: "WinnerCircle Trust" is owned by the "ABC Trust").

Wisconsin
                              United States
                              Member #58835
                              February 27, 2008
                              148 Posts
                              Posted: October 21, 2010, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Perfecttiming!!  Even though every state is different, I'm sure there ARE some similarities.  I printed out your post and put it with my "what to do when I win the lottery" file! :)