Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poaching for winning tickets

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 6 years ago by James1.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
Denver, Co
United States
Member #103046
December 29, 2010
546 Posts
Posted: February 3, 2011, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Here's a fun thing to watch for if you live in New Jersey and play scratch-off's.

In the near future Jersey will institute a new game for losing scratch off's to become winners.  I'm not really sure of  the details of it, but the jist of it all is the player has to keep his/her losing tickets and mail them in to see if they become winners.

How many losing scratch-offs do you think will be mailed in by gas station owners, deli owners, pizza shop owners and the like?   People that scratch a loser in the store usually throw them in the store's garbage can.........

I think a few states have this already...Colorado has it as well, they call it 'second chance drawing', and it's usually for the grand prize that was offered in the scratch-offs. If you mail in your ticket or enter the ticket # online, they'll do a drawing after they've pulled the tickets. I've heard that you've got pretty good odds of winning because not everyone enters. At least the losing tix have a chance at winning something.

United States
    Member #97729
    September 22, 2010
    321 Posts
    Posted: February 10, 2011, 3:24 am - IP Logged

Haha ! As a player this does become a major turn off and your luck starts to dwindle afterwards. But I imagine for the troll it does increase his odds of purchasing a winning ticket. Kind of like those immigrant gas station owners who claim millions in lottery wins annually from their own stores after watching droves of customers lose on tickets.

You are right on that one. I keep mulling over the idea of getting a job at a gas station. I half jokingly told the owner of one store that I would work for $5 an hour cash, and $5 worth of lottery tickets per hour. He did not like the idea of hiring someone who plays, because he evidently had some problems with people who were in his employ previously.

I have had my suspicions about some of these places where I always seem to lose. What used to be a favorite is now one I rarely play at anymore. I went in and was looking for Georgia Lottery Black tickets. There were none displayed in the bin, and I asked the owner if he had any, and he picked some up from somewhere, and tore one off and sold it to me. It was in the middle of the roll. Unless he was doing inventory, or holding them for someone else, I am left with the assumption that he must have been playing himself. I did not ask, and he did not say anything about it, I just decided to take most of my business elsewhere after that.

Take that with the fact that another local station has about four or five $500 winners from that game posted on the wall, and it really makes you start asking yourself questions, especially when the game has only been out a little over a month. I have never won more than $25 on it, and most times I either lose or win $15, which is not so hot for a $10 game. I suspect there is a way to "read" the books, and tell which ones have a big winner, or a way to tell which ticket might be good in a particular roll, based on the book number. There is an algorithm that the lottery uses, we just need to crack it.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: February 10, 2011, 3:32 am - IP Logged

Today while I was in Publix scratching there was a lady playing $3 dollar Bingo. While I was winning and busy with other tickets she was losing and had lost 4 in a row from what I observed. I was thinking about buying the next Bingo but was still scratching my other ticket. She makes it to the machine first and gets the 5th ticket, a $10 winner. What was an overall 1 in 4 game had a 1 in 1.3 or so chance of winning on the next ticket as I figured, due to all the previous losers. I am considering hanging around the store for a few hours one day and experiment poaching and see what kind of results I get.

I am considering hanging around the store for a few hours one day and experiment poaching and see what kind of results I get.

Probably at best, some unkind looks (and making old ladies say bad words) -- at worst, a purse or two upside the head. Chair

Better not let 'em see where you parked your car, either. LOL

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
        Member #97729
        September 22, 2010
        321 Posts
        Posted: February 10, 2011, 3:45 am - IP Logged

Just ask the clerk, if you have a good relationship with the clerk, the clerk can tell you what was won.

That is my biggest problem. I have favorite stores, favorite clerks, and favorite machines. I try and build good rapport with the clerks, but you never know which ones are telling the truth, and which ones are trying to sell you bad tickets. You also have to realize that if the clerk is interested enough to keep up, then they might be buying up the big winners! One of my favorite clerks is decidedly silent about the rash of $500 recent winners at his stores which are displayed. He swears that the owner does not let employees play while working, but wouldn't that be the ultimate cover? I suspect many are quite possibly the owner's winners, but that is nearly impossible to prove.

I have this nice little netbook that I purchased at Wal-Mart. It is pretty standard: Atom processor N450, Win XP, 1GB Memory, 160 GB Hard drive. It is a brand new Acer Aspire one D255, and I got it for $199, brand new in sealed box! You heard me right, a brand new portable computer with genuine Windows for under $200! OK, back to the story. I wonder if I couldn't find some type of small camera and hide it somewhere in the store, preferably overlooking the scratch off machines, and streaming it back to my little computer. Maybe I could even use the built in camera to zoom in on the counter, from the back of the room, while sitting at a table while scratch in off my tickets ever so slowly.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
          Jacksonville Florida
          United States
          Member #23018
          October 6, 2005
          918 Posts
          Posted: February 10, 2011, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

That is my biggest problem. I have favorite stores, favorite clerks, and favorite machines. I try and build good rapport with the clerks, but you never know which ones are telling the truth, and which ones are trying to sell you bad tickets. You also have to realize that if the clerk is interested enough to keep up, then they might be buying up the big winners! One of my favorite clerks is decidedly silent about the rash of $500 recent winners at his stores which are displayed. He swears that the owner does not let employees play while working, but wouldn't that be the ultimate cover? I suspect many are quite possibly the owner's winners, but that is nearly impossible to prove.

I have this nice little netbook that I purchased at Wal-Mart. It is pretty standard: Atom processor N450, Win XP, 1GB Memory, 160 GB Hard drive. It is a brand new Acer Aspire one D255, and I got it for $199, brand new in sealed box! You heard me right, a brand new portable computer with genuine Windows for under $200! OK, back to the story. I wonder if I couldn't find some type of small camera and hide it somewhere in the store, preferably overlooking the scratch off machines, and streaming it back to my little computer. Maybe I could even use the built in camera to zoom in on the counter, from the back of the room, while sitting at a table while scratch in off my tickets ever so slowly.

Unless you have permission of the store owner to use a camera as you describe in his/her store, you would run into legal problems with the camera in a remote location within the store. This is different than having one of those pen cameras in your pocket and recording video (even those on-person video cameras can run into legal problems in some cases). Another note, any device that records audio/sound with the video can be a problem in states with "all party knowledge" laws that require those being recorded to know that their voice is being recorded. Some states have only one party laws meaning the other person(s) do not have to be given notice they are being recorded. Laws vary from state to state.

Enjoy your netbook, great little machines (Target has the one on sale this week for $199). Upgrading the memory to the 2GB max improves performance for some applications...

FL
            United States
            Member #104946
            January 22, 2011
            105 Posts
            Posted: March 5, 2011, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

I feel like I have a new strategy for poachers.  I've been saving any particular ticket that I last won on and not cashing it in.
            I take it with me for the next time I visit an ITVM or one of my regular stores.  If I feel like I need to, I'll use it either to show a win or even just to show a different ticket instead of the ticket I'm really playing.

Taking the last winning ticket home also helps psychologically knowing that I have something to cash in if/when I want.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #99032
              October 18, 2010
              1439 Posts
              Posted: March 5, 2011, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Here's a fun thing to watch for if you live in New Jersey and play scratch-off's.

In the near future Jersey will institute a new game for losing scratch off's to become winners.  I'm not really sure of  the details of it, but the jist of it all is the player has to keep his/her losing tickets and mail them in to see if they become winners.

How many losing scratch-offs do you think will be mailed in by gas station owners, deli owners, pizza shop owners and the like?   People that scratch a loser in the store usually throw them in the store's garbage can.........

I heard about this.... I hope it starts soon, and not too many people catch on to it Big Smile

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #104435
                January 14, 2011
                2244 Posts
                Posted: March 5, 2011, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

I feel like I have a new strategy for poachers.  I've been saving any particular ticket that I last won on and not cashing it in.
                I take it with me for the next time I visit an ITVM or one of my regular stores.  If I feel like I need to, I'll use it either to show a win or even just to show a different ticket instead of the ticket I'm really playing.

Taking the last winning ticket home also helps psychologically knowing that I have something to cash in if/when I want.

Not a bad idea on taking the winner home. I have often won $100 at the store only to blow it 5 minutes later.

2014 Highest Winner: $500