Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A Lottery Curse

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 6 years ago by iwillhit.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
DFW, Texas
United States
Member #78628
August 18, 2009
134 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2011, 2:07 am - IP Logged

I'm with ridgey, I say rock it like a boogie-woogie choo-choo train.  For a while.  And then try to settle into a reasonable, although enhanced, lifestyle.

Although a win is a big opportunity, I suspect there is an element of a curse.  It's said that power tends to corrupt.  Wealth is a form of power.  It gives you the power to do what you want, to have what you want, to go where you want.  It also gives you the power to influence other people.  Even if you don't tell him what to do with the money, you can change someone's life just by giving him money.  Likewise, by withholding money, you can keep someone in a financially bad situation you have the power to change.  There are many petty people who will abuse such power.  And anyone, being human, will be influenced by it.

The power, along with the possible personal conflicts, and possible self-destructive excesses, and other stuff, like being sued frequently or frequently accused of paternity, add up to look like a curse.  That said, I have three lines of numbers to win Friday's jackpot.  If I win, I'll try to do well with it.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
    Magnolia, Delaware
    United States
    Member #18795
    July 20, 2005
    789 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2011, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

except in NC, a trust CAN NOT claim the prize (I had a lengthy discussion with them not too long ago, and actually i think posted about it on here). So you have NO CHOICE.

That statement above is correct, but there is a way around it! 

Move out of state and then open a legal out of state trust. No state at any time can make a legal out of state resident disclose their name in order to claim a prize with in a state that they are not a legal resident of at the time of making their claim to such prize! People do travel and buy tickets when in other states while visiting friends or family! So NC would have no choice but to pay you as an out of state resident that is not legally bound to the state of NC disclosure lottery laws! PERIOD!

I do know this as a matter of fact, and it kind of follows along the same lines! As everyone knows most states have a mandatory automobile insurance laws (Right). Well did you know that no other state can enforce another states insurance law. Yes, it's true! The only way you can get into trouble from another state for not having current insurance is to be involved in a car accident and that's the only way any other state other than the state that the car is registered to can write you a ticket for no insurance or impose some other form of punishment! The police are not to even ask you for proof of insurance when issuing you a ticket for speeding if you are driving an out of state registered vehicle. (Calif. state plates, ticket in New Mexico) License and registration is all they can ask for legally!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2011, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

I'm also in the "there ain't no lottery curse" camp!

According to the TLC show "The Lottery Changed My Life" there are about 1,600 Millionaires pumped out by lotteries every year. So maybe some stories focus in on a few cases of those that have had terrible misfortune, from amongst the thousands who did not in a bout of sensationalism over journalism. But that does not amount to a curse.

On the other hand, they also claim that a full 1/3 of winners go broke in 5 years! Now that is something interesting. Probably means that whatever baggage you carried with you before winning the lottery, like poor financial planning or personal troubles, those may follow you after the life changing win. But I'm prepared to take that chance! ;)

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #104853
        January 21, 2011
        159 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2011, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

I'm also in the "there ain't no lottery curse" camp!

According to the TLC show "The Lottery Changed My Life" there are about 1,600 Millionaires pumped out by lotteries every year. So maybe some stories focus in on a few cases of those that have had terrible misfortune, from amongst the thousands who did not in a bout of sensationalism over journalism. But that does not amount to a curse.

On the other hand, they also claim that a full 1/3 of winners go broke in 5 years! Now that is something interesting. Probably means that whatever baggage you carried with you before winning the lottery, like poor financial planning or personal troubles, those may follow you after the life changing win. But I'm prepared to take that chance! ;)

You mean giving your money away?  Because I also believe that there is a right and wrong way to do it.  Philanthropy is best done by millionaires who always have a substantial amount of money coming in...I mean the ones with jobs with millionaire salaries.  Lottery winners would only see their winnings diminish through constant good charity.  Once you give that money away, it's gone for good so be wise and invest some of it at least.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
          The Ville, FL
          United States
          Member #95879
          August 19, 2010
          1708 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2011, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

When your 100 years old you take the cash option...

=)

I believe I would take the cash option, as I know I would be careful with the money

NH
            United States
            Member #83352
            December 5, 2009
            223 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2011, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I don't see the big deal about people knowing you won a large sum of money. Simply move into a gated community/ use a new cell phone every month/ and stop doing business with the United States post office other than certified mail. Also make it a habit to wear a pen size video camera every time you plan on going into places where a confortation could happen. Turn your life into a spy/like reality show where your the only one that knows he/she is being filmed. Where some see FEAR, I see excitement. Fear is the curse.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
              LAS VEGAS
              United States
              Member #47729
              November 22, 2006
              4494 Posts
              Posted: March 26, 2011, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

I don't see the big deal about people knowing you won a large sum of money. Simply move into a gated community/ use a new cell phone every month/ and stop doing business with the United States post office other than certified mail. Also make it a habit to wear a pen size video camera every time you plan on going into places where a confortation could happen. Turn your life into a spy/like reality show where your the only one that knows he/she is being filmed. Where some see FEAR, I see excitement. Fear is the curse.

LOL Gym Rice

Ancient scripture has the giving godess saying:

"My offering is both a blessings & a curse." Note

~Zohar

EddessaKnight Sun Smiley

Prosperous1's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                Lawrenceville
                United States
                Member #81035
                October 9, 2009
                31 Posts
                Posted: March 26, 2011, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Can't blame a curse, bad mother-in-law or God being pissed because it all boils down to not being prepared to handling the funds.No Nod They don't seek legal consul once they win and even if some do, act foolish with the money.I Agree! I agree, take it slow and be wise. My suggestion is to get a small note book, write down seriously what you would do if you were to win a large windfall. Read that list daily, changing it if needed. This will help you stay on track, if in event you win.Sun Smiley

"Never make someone your priority, while they make you an option."

-Gabrielita-

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: March 26, 2011, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Can't blame a curse, bad mother-in-law or God being pissed because it all boils down to not being prepared to handling the funds.No Nod They don't seek legal consul once they win and even if some do, act foolish with the money.I Agree! I agree, take it slow and be wise. My suggestion is to get a small note book, write down seriously what you would do if you were to win a large windfall. Read that list daily, changing it if needed. This will help you stay on track, if in event you win.Sun Smiley

Well it's Saturday nite and I just got paid
                  A fool about my money, don't try to save
                  My heart says go, go have a time

'Cause it's Saturday nite
                  And I feel fine

I'm gonna rock it up
                  I'm gonna rip it up
                  I'm gonna shake it up
                  Gonna ball it up
                  I'm gonna rip it up
                  And ball tonite

Well I got me a date and I won't be late
                  I picked her up in my '88'
                  Shag on down by the social hall
                  When the joint starts jumpin'
                  I'll have a ball

I'm gonna rock it up
                  I'm gonna shake it up
                  I'm gonna rip it up
                  Gonna ball it up
                  I'm gonna rip it up
                  And ball tonite

Along about 10 I'll be flying high
                  I walk on out in the open sky
                  But I don't care if I spend my dough
                  'Cause tonite I'm gonna be one happy soul

I'm gonna rock it up
                  I'm gonna rip it up
                  I'm gonna shake it up
                  Gonna ball it up
                  I'm gonna rip it up
                  And ball tonite

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Prosperous1's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    Lawrenceville
                    United States
                    Member #81035
                    October 9, 2009
                    31 Posts
                    Posted: March 26, 2011, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Ballin'!!!DanceBananaDrum

"Never make someone your priority, while they make you an option."

-Gabrielita-

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10345 Posts
                      Posted: March 26, 2011, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Jon D

"According to the TLC show "The Lottery Changed My Life" there are about 1,600 Millionaires pumped out by lotteries every year."

I find that a little hard to believe. Powerball and Mega Millions tell us they pay put 12 to 15 jackpots a year. For the last two yeard Illinois has paid 11 jackpots each year in their Pick 6 game, which is drawn three times a week.

Using those examples and figuring 40 some lotto states that wopuld come to about 473 jackpots a year. That does't include scratchers but million dollar scrathcer hits just don't happen all that often.

Granted, other states hit more often than 11 times a year, but 1600 sound really inflated.

5 + 0 hits on PB and MM wtih the Powerplay and Megaplier wouldn;t make up the difference, either.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: March 26, 2011, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Hey, it's not my stats, as I mentioned, TLC show claimed it.

But seems perfectly reasonable to me, if you look deeper at the claim:

OK, so the number of Mega and PB jackpots are nowhere near 1600. But did you factor in all the group wins? How many splits? Then add all the state lotteries in a similar fashion. Then add all the state Scratchers or any other games where someone could win at least $1,000,000. And I assume this is a before taxes amounts which seems to be the norm.

Very easy to see 1600 individual Millionaires created by the lotteries then.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10345 Posts
                          Posted: March 27, 2011, 12:18 am - IP Logged

Jon D,

I know it was TLC and you just posted it. I still think it's a padded amount. MM and PB being available in the same states is eating into state Pick 6 games, for one thing.

Re-read my post. I took into consideration the things you mentioned, except for group wins. But even groups aren't that big.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Delaware
                            United States
                            Member #93503
                            July 1, 2010
                            453 Posts
                            Posted: March 27, 2011, 12:18 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I'm 20 too and wouldn't take the cash opition right now.. but, I don't believe the curse is real either.. it's just wrecklessness.

Los Angeles, California
                              United States
                              Member #103813
                              January 5, 2011
                              1530 Posts
                              Posted: March 27, 2011, 7:33 am - IP Logged

Jon D,

I know it was TLC and you just posted it. I still think it's a padded amount. MM and PB being available in the same states is eating into state Pick 6 games, for one thing.

Re-read my post. I took into consideration the things you mentioned, except for group wins. But even groups aren't that big.

So if you say the TLC figure of 1600 is wrong, what do you think the correct number should be then?

You have to factor into account all the Group wins, and also Splits among multiple winners. That happens quite often, just look at the past several big MM and PB wins. And Scratch cards are not insignificant, far from it, they account for about half of all revenue and prizes of the lotteries of many states. Here in CA alone there were 29 Scratcher winners in the 7-figure range just last year. And CA is not even the biggest state lottery, FL, MA and NY being the largest. Then there are cases of persons winning at the lottery multiple times of smaller amounts adding up to $1,000,000 or higher. And the TLC show has featured other countries as well, so their figure may include that.

Your initial number of 473 simply by counting the number of jackpots did not account for all those other factors, maybe you should quadruple that number and then you are in the ballpark! ;)