Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Amnightus asks, How many Mathematicians Play the Lottery

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 6 years ago by truecritic.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
San Jose, CA
United States
Member #108695
March 29, 2011
3 Posts
Posted: March 29, 2011, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys, I'm curious, how many people on here have degrees in math or math related fields and play the lottery?

Similarly, how many people with math degrees or backgrounds have had success with the lottery.

amnightus

United States
    Member #105312
    January 29, 2011
    435 Posts
    Posted: March 29, 2011, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys, I'm curious, how many people on here have degrees in math or math related fields and play the lottery?

Similarly, how many people with math degrees or backgrounds have had success with the lottery.

amnightus

amnightus:  What do you consider a math related field?  Statistics?  Physics?  Accounting? 

It should be interesting to see the answers you get.

San Jose, CA
      United States
      Member #108695
      March 29, 2011
      3 Posts
      Posted: March 29, 2011, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Any field that is math intensive, accounting, engineering, data analysts, physics, math high school teacher, etc etc

my criteria is fairly broad. 

Anyways, just wondering.

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
        Denver, Co
        United States
        Member #103046
        December 29, 2010
        546 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2011, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Good question, I'd be interested in hearing the replies as well.

United States
          Member #93947
          July 10, 2010
          2180 Posts
          Posted: April 10, 2011, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

amnightus

Why do you ask?

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
            Member #59354
            March 13, 2008
            3985 Posts
            Posted: April 10, 2011, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

amnightus

You first, I know that doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers, have all won jackpots in the past so I would

say that within the population of members here at LP that the results would be very much the same as they

would be within the general population.  Any statistician worthy of their trade should  be able  to calculate

this without much error. 

RL

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10354 Posts
              Posted: April 12, 2011, 10:54 am - IP Logged

Math is good for calculating the odds and knowing what you are up against.

As far as trying to use it to win lotto that's about like thinking the puzzle game of Sudoku is a math game, which it isn't, it's logic.

In lotteries one and only one winning combination is drawn, out of millions.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                Member #105312
                January 29, 2011
                435 Posts
                Posted: April 12, 2011, 11:36 am - IP Logged

amnightus

None of us can know the answer to the first question because of the anonymity provided by the web and by this site.

As to the answer to the second question we can only answer from our own personal experience and knowledge of our acquaintances who fell within the description you provided.

I'd estimate probably 5% of the several hundred scientists in various fields I was immediately acquainted with personally during my life played the lottery frequently enough to allow me to become aware of it.  About half of those used one form of math or another to experiment with predicting future results.

Engineers of roughly equal numbers followed the same profile within my immediate circles of acquaintances.

I never became acquainted with many accountants, statisticians, or business majors.  The one stockbroker I knew well enough to call him  a friend didn't play the lottery.

A number of educators I knew personally teaching math at high school or university levels played the lottery and attempted to use math to further their successes, but I can't estimate by hindsight after so many years how many did, or might have.

A lot of medical professionals and technicians of various marginally math related fields did play the lotteries and probably I knew a few who attempted to use math in their efforts without discussing it.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10354 Posts
                  Posted: April 12, 2011, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Of all the jackpot winners I've ever seen interviewed only one referred to a "formula" and what he said was so confusing that the reportyer who asked him about it only looked at the camera and said, "You get that folks?"

Have the people here ever thought about the lotteries having mathematicians on the payroll or as consultants?

The only mathematician that comes to mind with lotto is the so called "professor" with the hype job about getting shot for his formula that won the lottery twice. Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                    Member #105312
                    January 29, 2011
                    435 Posts
                    Posted: April 12, 2011, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Of all the jackpot winners I've ever seen interviewed only one referred to a "formula" and what he said was so confusing that the reportyer who asked him about it only looked at the camera and said, "You get that folks?"

Have the people here ever thought about the lotteries having mathematicians on the payroll or as consultants?

The only mathematician that comes to mind with lotto is the so called "professor" with the hype job about getting shot for his formula that won the lottery twice. Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

You might be forgetting the lady multiple jackpot winner who lived in Texas at the time, now Las Vegas.  Ex-professor of math, retired.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7322 Posts
                      Posted: April 12, 2011, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

Why do you ask?

Are fingers and toes counters mathematicians?

United States
                        Member #93947
                        July 10, 2010
                        2180 Posts
                        Posted: April 13, 2011, 12:25 am - IP Logged

You might be forgetting the lady multiple jackpot winner who lived in Texas at the time, now Las Vegas.  Ex-professor of math, retired.

That must be this one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7873950/American-woman-wins-lottery-for-a-fourth-time.html

It's interesting how so many articles on this like to talk about how huge the odds are that someone would win 4 jackpots.  The total odds they quote are those you get when you multiply the 4 individual odds together.  I don't think she was predicting those hits in advance.

It's also noteworthy that 3 of 4 of her wins were Scratchers...

It's doubtful her math background had anything to do with her wins.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                          Member #59354
                          March 13, 2008
                          3985 Posts
                          Posted: April 13, 2011, 1:31 am - IP Logged

Josephus

I am still trying to connect the question with jimmy's answer.

Question

Answer by jim

It's also noteworthy that 3 of 4 of her wins were Scratchers...                -> She plays and has won

It's doubtful her math background had anything to do with her wins.     -> She has a math degree

I don't think the question was how can math help you win but rather how many people who truly understand the

math behind the lottery still play.  A dollar per dream sounds cheap to me.

RL

United States
                            Member #93947
                            July 10, 2010
                            2180 Posts
                            Posted: April 13, 2011, 2:46 am - IP Logged

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/implication

im·pli·ca·tion  (mpl-kshn)  n.

1.The act of implicating or the condition of being implicated.
                            2.The act of implying or the condition of being implied.
                            3.Something that is implied, especially:
                                 a.An indirect indication; a suggestion.
                                 b.An implied meaning; implicit significance.
                                 c. An inference. See Usage Note at infer.

impli·cative adj.
                            impli·cative·ly adv.

United States
                              Member #105312
                              January 29, 2011
                              435 Posts
                              Posted: April 13, 2011, 7:45 am - IP Logged

Josephus

I am still trying to connect the question with jimmy's answer.

Question

Answer by jim

It's also noteworthy that 3 of 4 of her wins were Scratchers...                -> She plays and has won

It's doubtful her math background had anything to do with her wins.     -> She has a math degree

I don't think the question was how can math help you win but rather how many people who truly understand the

math behind the lottery still play.  A dollar per dream sounds cheap to me.

RL

RL:  For jimmy every question, every statement, every nuance is a direct or indirect opportunity to sally forth and release all those pent up insecurities he got from other kids chasing him home from school and throwing rocks at him when he was a kid.  There was a reason they chased him home that way and threw rocks at him, but he just couldn't change what he is, and more importantly, what he isn't.