Army veteran returning to Afghanistan wins $250,000

Apr 18, 2011, 8:50 am (51 comments)

Georgia Lottery

An Army veteran from Fayetteville, Georgia, won a quarter million dollars in the Georgia Lottery days before his return to Afghanistan.

Gregg Curry, a father of three and a master sergeant with the Third U.S. Army Forces Central Command, bought a winning Cool Cash ticket while stopping to buy a bottle of water with his wife, Mary, lottery officials said Friday.

Curry, 47, returns to Afghanistan today. He was home for two weeks from Bagram Airfield, where he's been stationed for seven months. He'll be in Afghanistan another five months.

He told lottery officials that he plans to use his $250,000 to pay bills and take a vacation after his tour.

"We're excited. We're happy," said Curry.

Curry bought his at the Kwickie/Flash at 973 Highway 54 in Fayetteville.

Another man, Gerald DiFatta, 65, of Grayson, won $264,955, three days after buying a ticket on his birthday that returned $3.

"I almost didn't play," DiFatta told lottery officials. "I went past the store and turned around to get a ticket."

DiFatta bought his Quik Pik ticket at Monroe Shell, 1880 Highway 138 N.W. in Monroe.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Thanks to truesee for the tip.

AJC, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Glad to see a military man win.

They should make it tax free for our armed forces.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 18, 2011

I Agree!

I agree, but I do think it should be tax free for everyone !

Just think how the extra spending would DIRECTLY IMPACT  the economy !

I hope that this money will help his family !

A great story !

dr65's avatardr65

That is fantastic! I'm happy to see a servicemember win also. Outstanding!

sully16's avatarsully16

What a great story, congrats to Mr. Curry.Cheers

konane's avatarkonane

I Agree!    Congratulations Mr. Curry!  WTG!  Party

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Apr 18, 2011

I Agree!

I agree, but I do think it should be tax free for everyone !

Just think how the extra spending would DIRECTLY IMPACT  the economy !

I hope that this money will help his family !

A great story !

I agree with that but the guy we got in there now wants to raise taxes, not lower them.

And now he's got us in another war.

Thank God for soldiers like this Afghanistan vet who go off and do the job he wouldn't have the cojones to  do.

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

This win should help the remaining time fly by...hope he returns home safe and sound to enjoy his good fortune.

From a Navy man who served 12 months boots-on-ground in Iraq last year.....you had good luck in winning, now may you have

Godspeed in returning home to your fam!

louise black

I agree with that but the guy we got in there now wants to raise taxes, not lower them.

Thank God for soldiers like this Afghanistan vet who go off and do the job he wouldn't have the cojones to  do.

No NoWill you please ! please ! tell me which one of your last Presidents had the COJONES to do so!!Cussing Face I have no problems with even playing field.OOOhhh! what war is that?

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Patriot the feel good story of the day and hell yeah he should get it all tax free .....

jama

rdgrnr, have you ever served in the service?

jama

This is not a political post, this is the lottery post. Why do you come on here and talk about politics all the time? If you have something to say say it on Huffington Post where you will be challenge.

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

Quote: Originally posted by jama on Apr 18, 2011

This is not a political post, this is the lottery post. Why do you come on here and talk about politics all the time? If you have something to say say it on Huffington Post where you will be challenge.

I Agree!

dr65's avatardr65

Troll

This subject moved you to become a member today? That's special. What do you think of Gregg?

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatarLAVERNE MALONEY

CONGRAT$$$$$!!!!!

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Thumbs Up Now that's what i'm talking about!!!!!!

Boney526's avatarBoney526

They should make it tax free for all Americans.

Taxing taxes.  That's what we're doing.  It's kinda like saying "Oh you paid 3000 dollars in property taxes, well we're going to have to put a sales tax on that property tax.  So now you're paying 3000 dollars and 210 dollars for paying that tax."  Except you don't HAVE to play lottery, while you do have to pay property tax (if your state/town has it)

I guess it's more like "we're going to keep half the tax, give out half, and tax the half we give out"

Boney526's avatarBoney526

Quote: Originally posted by louise black on Apr 18, 2011

No NoWill you please ! please ! tell me which one of your last Presidents had the COJONES to do so!!Cussing Face I have no problems with even playing field.OOOhhh! what war is that?

George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Dwight Eisnehower.  And I'll count Teddy Roosevelt just because he got shot and then gave a 90 minute speech.  That's all I thought of off the top of my head, geez it's been a while since we've had a President who could show some spine and get involved directly in conflicts they saw as necessary - or try to do something to stop unneccessarry conflicts.

And even if you've got no problem with making an "even playing field" for the Libyan rebels, you must admit that the way the President went through with it is completely unconstiutional.  Just because our last president had no real Republican principles, and we disagree with this one's "principles" doens't mean it becomes Republican VS. Democrat, as it SEEMS you're assuming it is.  It's not.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant about politics.  I'll shut up now.

jama

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Apr 18, 2011

Troll

This subject moved you to become a member today? That's special. What do you think of Gregg?

I think Gregg Curry is a model citizen. He deserve his lottery win, and I also think that the service members should have tax exemptions,and they shouldn't have to pay taxes, after all they risk their life protecting us and the U.S.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I am not political but I do know from personal finances that when I want to pay off my credit card bills I work overtime and spend less on things that I dont really need like going to the movies or clothes shopping.

I hate to be taxed highly when the federal government keeps spending money on things that Americans dont really need. Oh and I also hate those people that cheat and get disability and social security checks and all of us each know those kinds of people in our lives.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by louise black on Apr 18, 2011

George Herbert Walker Bush.

Following the attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, Bush decided to join the US Navy,[1] so after graduating from Phillips Academy earlier in 1942,[4] he became a naval aviator at the age of 18.[3] After completing the 10-month course, he was commissioned as an ensign in the U.S. Naval Reserve at Corpus Christi, Texas on June 9, 1943, just three days before his 19th birthday, which made him the youngest naval aviator to that date.[1]

He was assigned to Torpedo Squadron (VT-51) as the photographic officer in September 1943.[1] The following year, his squadron was based on the USS San Jacinto as a member of Air Group 51, where his lanky physique earned him the nickname 'Skin'.[5] During this time, the task force was victorious in one of the largest air battles of World War II: the Battle of the Philippine Sea.[1]

After Bush's promotion to Lieutenant (junior grade) on August 1, the San Jacintocommenced operations against the Japanese in the Bonin Islands. Bush piloted one of four Grumman TBM Avenger aircraft from VT-51 that attacked the Japanese installations on Chichijima.[6] His crew for the mission, which occurred on September 2, 1944, included Radioman Second Class John Delaney and Lieutenant Junior Grade William White.[1] During their attack, the Avengers encountered intense anti-aircraft fire; Bush's aircraft was hit by flak[7] and his engine caught on fire.[1] Despite his plane being on fire, Bush completed his attack and released bombs over his target, scoring several damaging hits.[1] With his engine afire, Bush flew several miles from the island, where he and one other crew member on the TBM Avenger bailed out of the aircraft;[7] the other man's parachute did not open.[1] It has not been determined which man bailed out with Bush[1] as both Delaney and White were killed as a result of the battle.[7] Bush waited for four hours in an inflated raft, while several fighters circled protectively overhead until he was rescued by the lifeguard submarine USS Finback.[1] For the next month he remained on theFinback, and participated in the rescue of other pilots.

George Bush in his TBM Avenger on the carrier USS San Jacinto in 1944

Bush subsequently returned to San Jacintoin November 1944 and participated in operations in the Philippines[1] until his squadron was replaced and sent home to the United States. Through 1944, he flew 58 combat missions[7] for which he received the Distinguished Flying Cross, three Air Medals, and the Presidential Unit Citation awarded to San Jacinto.[1]

Because of his valuable combat experience, Bush was reassigned to Norfolk Navy Base and put in a training wing for new torpedo pilots. He was later assigned as a naval aviator in a new torpedo squadron, VT-153. Upon the Japanese surrender in 1945, Bush was honorably discharged in September of that year.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Interesting post and comments here. Lucky guy to win such fortune.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Well now, yes I have sonny boy, how about you?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

HuffandPuff Post? You gotta be kidding.

They ain't got the cojones either.

Kinda like you, no doubt.

jama

Well now, yes I have sonny boy, how about you?

I am not a sonny boy. I am female, and I have not serve.

jama

HuffandPuff Post? You gotta be kidding.

They ain't got the cojones either.

Kinda like you, no doubt.

You wouldn't be able to handle the debate on huffpost, so this is why you come to lottery post to whine because no one here will challenge you.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I am not a sonny boy. I am female, and I have not serve.

Well baby sister, no offense but you might understand better if you had served.

Sometimes there's just a little twinge of resentment when being told to do something by a boss who you know would never do it himself.

It's kinda like the old saying: You don't play the game - You don't make the rules.

A girlyman like your idol could never hack it anyway.

He ain't got the cojones.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

You wouldn't be able to handle the debate on huffpost, so this is why you come to lottery post to whine because no one here will challenge you.

I've been on HuffandPuff, baby sister. Believe me, I can handle it.

If you're impressed by those mantra-chanting morons, well, you're easily impressed, baby sister.

jama

Well baby sister, no offense but you might understand better if you had served.

Sometimes there's just a little twinge of resentment when being told to do something by a boss who you know would never do it himself.

It's kinda like the old saying: You don't play the game - You don't make the rules.

A girlyman like your idol could never hack it anyway.

He ain't got the cojones.

How juvenile of you to call the POTUS "girlyman."  Is that all you have is name calling?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

How juvenile of you to call the POTUS "girlyman."  Is that all you have is name calling?

I call em like I see em.

He'a a girlyman.

And he ain't got the cojones.

jama

..........and you will never be president.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

..........and you will never be president.

If that can be president, anybody can be president, baby sister.

Even you.

jama

If that can be president, anybody can be president, baby sister.

Even you.

Why are you referring to President Obama as "that?" It sounds very bitter to me.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Why are you referring to President Obama as "that?" It sounds very bitter to me.

Don't worry baby sister, I refer to Gore and Kerry as "that's" too.

"That" is my term of endearment for people I consider not only useless but counter-productive and destructive as well.

jama

"That" is my term of endearment for people I consider not only useless but counter-productive and destructive as well.

You are a very bitter man, enough said. Just a reminder this is not the 1800's.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Why would anyone show respect to a non-functional pseudo-intellectual that believes that wealth "trickles up" from the government freeloaders !

Obama whines like an immature 8 year old about how much other people have, to get votes from the greed of envy crowd !

That is why mature people celebrate those that serve in our military & want taxes to be low so that the economy will thrive !

Congrats to the winner & all my best to an honored veteran: rdgrnr !

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

You are a very bitter man, enough said. Just a reminder this is not the 1800's.

I think I remember you from HuffandPuffer.

Don't you usually sign off with "Bush lied, people died" or "Where are the WMD's?"

I never tired of that. It was so stimulating and fresh.

I guess that's why Air America is doing so well.

It is, isn't it?

jama

I think I remember you from HuffandPuffer.

Don't you usually sign off with "Bush lied, people died" or "Where are the WMD's?"

I never tired of that. It was so stimulating and fresh.

I guess that's why Air America is doing so well.

It is, isn't it?

No, wrong person.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Apr 18, 2011

Why would anyone show respect to a non-functional pseudo-intellectual that believes that wealth "trickles up" from the government freeloaders !

Obama whines like an immature 8 year old about how much other people have, to get votes from the greed of envy crowd !

That is why mature people celebrate those that serve in our military & want taxes to be low so that the economy will thrive !

Congrats to the winner & all my best to an honored veteran: rdgrnr !

Thanks for the sentiment dpoly but I'm a long way from honored.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

No, wrong person.

No hard feelins, baby sister.

Best of luck to ya! LepYes NodThumbs Up

jama

No hard feelins, baby sister.

Best of luck to ya! LepYes NodThumbs Up

Thanks for your service, and best of luck to you too.

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

I'm so glad for your return,isnt Georgia good? I love their lottery.

themagician's avatarthemagician

Well, I just love inspiring stories like this, I just hope he returns safely home to enjoy his family and his money :)

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Too bad uncle sam still gets his portion, military should be exempt from paying taxes while enlisted

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Congratulations to Gregg Curry for his tidy post taxed jackpot lottery win!

What a wonderful feeling for a medium sized family man to go off to his work in a different country knowing that his family will have reasonable monies available to them for just-in-case purposes.

Group Hug

naijaman

Wow...folks sure know how to ruin a feel-good story. Please stick to the story and leave this political crap out...the personal attacks and name-calling that inevitably follow are annoying.

butterflykt's avatarbutterflykt

Sweet story...congrats to him and his family.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by naijaman on Apr 22, 2011

Wow...folks sure know how to ruin a feel-good story. Please stick to the story and leave this political crap out...the personal attacks and name-calling that inevitably follow are annoying.

You call it political crap because you can't handle the truth. 

And it was over with days ago with a friendly resolution anyway so why are you bringing it back up?

I've read your recent posts saying how you can't wait to leave this country and go back to Zanzibar.

Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out.

Buh-bye.

US Flag

naijaman

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 22, 2011

You call it political crap because you can't handle the truth. 

And it was over with days ago with a friendly resolution anyway so why are you bringing it back up?

I've read your recent posts saying how you can't wait to leave this country and go back to Zanzibar.

Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out.

Buh-bye.

US Flag

Actually...if you took the time to read my posts correctly, you'd know my actual comment was that if (when???) I hit the lottery, moving to Zanzibar would be great.  My wife is from Zanzibar (I'm from New Jersey) and I fell in love with the place when I visited there for the first time 4 years ago.  I've never said anything remotely close to what you claim I said.  My Zanzibar comment was in response to other comments made by fellow posters about going far away when they win the lottery in order to avoid the leeches and sudden "friends".

As for the political crap...as I said, we're here to talk about lottery-related stories, not politics. Folks have their political leanings I'm sure, but we are all united in terms of enjoying the lottery stories and dreaming about hitting the jackpot ourselves one day.  The problem with politics is that it almost always degenerates into name-calling and nastiness, which I don't particularly find enjoyable or beneficial.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Actually...if you took the time to read my posts correctly, you'd know my actual comment was that if (when???) I hit the lottery, moving to Zanzibar would be great.  My wife is from Zanzibar (I'm from New Jersey) and I fell in love with the place when I visited there for the first time 4 years ago.  I've never said anything remotely close to what you claim I said.  My Zanzibar comment was in response to other comments made by fellow posters about going far away when they win the lottery in order to avoid the leeches and sudden "friends".

As for the political crap...as I said, we're here to talk about lottery-related stories, not politics. Folks have their political leanings I'm sure, but we are all united in terms of enjoying the lottery stories and dreaming about hitting the jackpot ourselves one day.  The problem with politics is that it almost always degenerates into name-calling and nastiness, which I don't particularly find enjoyable or beneficial.

So uh... so why do you keep bringing it up? That uh, thing you don't want anybody talking about?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Here's what you said today:

"...leave this political crap out...the personal attacks and name-calling that inevitably follow are annoying."

Here's what you said on November 27, 2009:

"some moron somehow decided President Obama was partially to blame for what happened at the Burlington Coat Factory. How stupid are you anyway?"

Is that what you mean by personal attacks and name-calling? Is that what you find annoying?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 22, 2011

Here's what you said today:

"...leave this political crap out...the personal attacks and name-calling that inevitably follow are annoying."

Here's what you said on November 27, 2009:

"some moron somehow decided President Obama was partially to blame for what happened at the Burlington Coat Factory. How stupid are you anyway?"

Is that what you mean by personal attacks and name-calling? Is that what you find annoying?

I hear crickets. Anybody else hear crickets?

All I hear is crickets.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story