Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:16 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Major site performance improvements

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 6 years ago by JWBlue.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
Oklahoma
United States
Member #82391
November 12, 2009
6305 Posts
Posted: May 14, 2011, 8:27 am - IP Logged

Thanks Todd, definitely much faster......Thumbs Up

Lucky's avatar - hiro horse.jpg
    Ohio
    United States
    Member #20
    December 20, 2000
    57076 Posts
    Posted: May 14, 2011, 8:55 am - IP Logged

Todd - Definitely loading much faster...thank you !

Good Luck Lep

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
      Park City, UT
      United States
      Member #69864
      January 18, 2009
      993 Posts
      Posted: May 14, 2011, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I concur with everybody else the pages are loading alot faster.  Great job!!!.  Being a software architect one of the first principles I was taught 25 years ago when choosing algorithms is that you typically had to make a tradeoff between performance or size of your running program.  It seems like in todays worlds of sandbox programming that software programmers don't optimize for either anymore.  Instead of smaller or faster its bloated and slower.  Its nice to see someone still cares about solving performance issues in software versus just throwing more hardware at the problem.

Jimmy

danyo1332's avatar - 198208 10150427293015037_578305036_17777547_4875050_n
        clinton, ohio
        United States
        Member #94566
        July 22, 2010
        1920 Posts
        Posted: May 14, 2011, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Everything is loading much faster for me also! Thanks Todd for the hard work and dedication to the site!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/231108 My Definite Double System

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/231369 My P4 to P3 Pair System

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233360 My Digit 9 Significance System

ThreeFish$'s avatar - dragon eye.jpg
          Brooklet, GA
          United States
          Member #105331
          January 29, 2011
          17635 Posts
          Posted: May 14, 2011, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

Everything is Loading much faster.  You did great Todd, and you know my computer came in on Noah's Ark. Great Job!!!Thanks.

A LITTLE OLE GEORGIA PEACH SAID THAT!!!LOL GO GET UM GAWink

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: May 14, 2011, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

A lot better, Todd. 

Thanks.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23352 Posts
              Posted: May 14, 2011, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

I'm really glad to hear that you all are seeing some real performance increases.  I know what I see in MY test computers, but I can only tell for sure when I hear feedback directly from everyone in their own houses and businesses.

I just did another tweak, and I may have to do another one in the next day or so.  It's very normal, based on the number of changes I had to make. 

I also fixed the Facebook "Like" option on news stories.  I imagine rdgrnr is not a big FB user, so this piece of info is for everyone else. Wink LOL

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

New York,
                Panama
                Member #73078
                April 4, 2009
                3490 Posts
                Posted: May 14, 2011, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

This afternoon I installed the latest updates to the Lottery Post Web site, which were mainly focused on improvement of page load times.

To say it is a major overhaul is almost an understatement, but if I have done my job well, the only thing someone would notice is that pages finish loading faster.

It is possible that there are a few bugs out there, because it is very difficult to test wide-sweeping changes like this.  If you did see a bug, it would probably be a missing graphic, or a strange repeating graphic.  If you notice something like that, please don't keep it to yourself — let me know about it so I can fix it.

When letting me know about any strange graphical problems, please let me know what browser you're using (including the version number), so I can test it using the same browser that you're using.

As an aside, sometimes people post questions about why the heck I keep "changing things".  Sometimes I get accused of "breaking things" because it "changes so often".

Well, all I'll say is that if I did not constantly focus on improving performance and "changing things", the site would have died a long time ago.  Every day the site's content and audience grows, and I need to stay one step ahead of the next breaking point if the site is to continue to respond the way you expect it to.  At any one moment there are literally thousands of people on the site — viewing lottery results, posting messages, reading news, checking their private messages, searching results and content, etc. — and it takes a very highly tuned Web site to be able to handle all of that 24/7.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who wants to weigh in about how performance is doing now.  Has it gotten better?  Is it the same?  Is it worse?

LoviesHI Todd!!!!!   You are the Big Mack Daddy of this thing!! Yes you are!!!! and I am very Thankful  to GOD and my son that WE HAVE MET, NEVER TO PART...lol...lol

You work so hard for The Lottery Post, you keep it together, you run a Floating, perfectly running ship!!! AND you deserve TO BE PAID!

That is why I am paying my rent for next year before it's due!!!LOL...LOL 

Renewing my membership before June comes  and since I know it takes more,....

much more than just my little imput, I Invite All the Lottery Post Family Member to Say

thanks to Todd; by renewing their Membership...come let's keep this ship sailing so we can Play ON!!!LOL..

Thanks Todd!!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: May 14, 2011, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

I'm really glad to hear that you all are seeing some real performance increases.  I know what I see in MY test computers, but I can only tell for sure when I hear feedback directly from everyone in their own houses and businesses.

I just did another tweak, and I may have to do another one in the next day or so.  It's very normal, based on the number of changes I had to make. 

I also fixed the Facebook "Like" option on news stories.  I imagine rdgrnr is not a big FB user, so this piece of info is for everyone else. Wink LOL

You got that right, Todd. I don't know what that Facebook stuff is all about and I never noticed that stuff to click in the News Forum before.

I'm gonna need directions.  Confused

Or maybe I'll just have a drink.

--Edmund Burke

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23352 Posts
                    Posted: May 14, 2011, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

You got that right, Todd. I don't know what that Facebook stuff is all about and I never noticed that stuff to click in the News Forum before.

I'm gonna need directions.  Confused

Or maybe I'll just have a drink.

Probably just have a drink.  I'll be right behind you.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

pliesfanatic's avatar - web
                      BEVERELY HILLS
                      United States
                      Member #88631
                      March 20, 2010
                      3371 Posts
                      Posted: May 14, 2011, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd It's Moving Faster For Me!!! Thumbs Up

Scared money don't make no money.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: May 14, 2011, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs UpYes Nod

--Edmund Burke

New York,
                          Panama
                          Member #73078
                          April 4, 2009
                          3490 Posts
                          Posted: May 14, 2011, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

LoviesHI Todd!!!!!   You are the Big Mack Daddy of this thing!! Yes you are!!!! and I am very Thankful  to GOD and my son that WE HAVE MET, NEVER TO PART...lol...lol

You work so hard for The Lottery Post, you keep it together, you run a Floating, perfectly running ship!!! AND you deserve TO BE PAID!

That is why I am paying my rent for next year before it's due!!!LOL...LOL 

Renewing my membership before June comes  and since I know it takes more,....

much more than just my little imput, I Invite All the Lottery Post Family Member to Say

thanks to Todd; by renewing their Membership...come let's keep this ship sailing so we can Play ON!!!LOL..

Thanks Todd!!!

ConfusedTodd, If you go behind rd,  you could wind up in jail after a drunken brawl and and be missing for weeks and weeks  that will not be good for The Post!!...LOL...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
                            Panama
                            Member #73078
                            April 4, 2009
                            3490 Posts
                            Posted: May 14, 2011, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

SmashYou are needed at the Post  Todd, No,No!!! Slowly back away from rd,!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
                              Panama
                              Member #73078
                              April 4, 2009
                              3490 Posts
                              Posted: May 14, 2011, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

CoolWow, Todd I just click and the page seem to fly, on!!!  LOL...LOL. This is real cool!!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina