Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How would you rate the State Lottery website in your locality?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Hermanus104.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #105312
January 29, 2011
435 Posts
Posted: May 15, 2011, 8:44 am - IP Logged

I browse a lot of lottery websites and I'm surprised at the range of attitudes of lottery personnel and lottery webmasters reflected in the way they design their sites.  Some sites seem to show a depressing reluctance to have a website at all, while others have taken approaches dedicated to user-friendliness, simplicity, cooperation and smiling promotion of the product they sell.  Still others go the last mile with that, plus imagination and enthusiasm.

I'd put the Texas website in the middle category: 

I'd give Texas an A.  The Texas site is easy and friendly, they offer downloads of the draw histories for all their games without attempting to gouge out the eyes of people downloading them by throwing in formatting tricks, and the information about all the games including current scratchoffs is possibly more complete than any other State Lottery website.

I'd also give the North Carolina an A for the same reasons, along with Kansas, Nebraska, New Jersey, and a few others.

DC and NY would both get an A+ rating from me because they're among going the last mile.

I won't mention by name the several D- and F sites by my personal ratings because they aren't where I live and I'll never have to deal with them as a resident.

How would you rate your Lottery Commission in its design and use of a website in promoting itself and the games it provides?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5611 Posts
    Posted: May 15, 2011, 9:25 am - IP Logged

I browse a lot of lottery websites and I'm surprised at the range of attitudes of lottery personnel and lottery webmasters reflected in the way they design their sites.  Some sites seem to show a depressing reluctance to have a website at all, while others have taken approaches dedicated to user-friendliness, simplicity, cooperation and smiling promotion of the product they sell.  Still others go the last mile with that, plus imagination and enthusiasm.

I'd give Texas an A.  The Texas site is easy and friendly, they offer downloads of the draw histories for all their games without attempting to gouge out the eyes of people downloading them by throwing in formatting tricks, and the information about all the games including current scratchoffs is possibly more complete than any other State Lottery website.

I'd also give the North Carolina an A for the same reasons, along with Kansas, Nebraska, New Jersey, and a few others.

DC and NY would both get an A+ rating from me because they're among going the last mile.

I won't mention by name the several D- and F sites by my personal ratings because they aren't where I live and I'll never have to deal with them as a resident.

How would you rate your Lottery Commission in its design and use of a website in promoting itself and the games it provides?

I don't browse other state's websites very much, but I'm happy with Texas's website. It has all the info I need to follow the games, and I like to read the minutes of the Commission's meetings.

I especially like the way they have the previous draws of all the games presented so it's easy to see the history.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49786 Posts
      Posted: May 15, 2011, 11:21 am - IP Logged

I'd Rate them All A+++: If they Posted Tomorrows Results: Today! Thumbs Up

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
        Member #105312
        January 29, 2011
        435 Posts
        Posted: May 15, 2011, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

I'd Rate them All A+++: If they Posted Tomorrows Results: Today! Thumbs Up

The New Jersey site's up there among the best role models any State Lottery Commission could hope for in a website.  I suppose it's natural for people enjoying the benefits of an already good one to want more.

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40561 Posts
          Posted: May 15, 2011, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Michigan has a nice website.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: May 15, 2011, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

I would give Oklahoma a B-......

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10353 Posts
              Posted: May 16, 2011, 1:04 am - IP Logged

Missouri has an excellent site.

Illinois is pretty decent, but searching for numbers history is weak....if you're searching for Pick 3, say, and a nunmber like 124 you can search Straigvht or Any Order....but Any Order tells you when 1, 2, or 4 hit in combination with other numbers.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                Whiskey Island
                United States
                Member #90216
                April 24, 2010
                12752 Posts
                Posted: May 16, 2011, 1:19 am - IP Logged

I would give Louisiana LotterY a Big Fat " F - " its one of the worst lottery sites .  Site needs a serious over-hauling !

United States
                  Member #94616
                  July 24, 2010
                  4735 Posts
                  Posted: May 16, 2011, 5:24 am - IP Logged

I would give Louisiana LotterY a Big Fat " F - " its one of the worst lottery sites .  Site needs a serious over-hauling !

I see what you mean, just pulled up the site.  Its 'strange'  Everything is SMALL and hard to read - some words must be a 5 or 4 font!!.  Colors don't work well.

United States
                    Member #105312
                    January 29, 2011
                    435 Posts
                    Posted: May 16, 2011, 7:50 am - IP Logged

Missouri has an excellent site.

Illinois is pretty decent, but searching for numbers history is weak....if you're searching for Pick 3, say, and a nunmber like 124 you can search Straigvht or Any Order....but Any Order tells you when 1, 2, or 4 hit in combination with other numbers.

Coin Toss:  Missouri is a mixed bag in my view.  Great site in a lot of ways, but they require a Freedom of Information Demand if anyone wants more than 10 draws from their keno game results.  You even mentioned it in one of your earlier posts: [paraphrased] "The only way MO keno players can find out if they won is punching their ticket number into the website or handing it to a store clerk to scan."   You didn't like it, said you won't play it, and probably neither do most other potential players.

It's not the fault of their website or webmaster, but that's where the rubber meets the road.  MO is either ashamed, frightened, paranoid, or otherwise distrustful enough of their own game to allow anyone outside themselves to scrutinize their results on that one.

I'd personally give them an E for effort on the rest of the site and and F on keno.  They deserve an A if they just killed their keno game instead of trying to pretend it exists without providing any actual evidence their computer is conducting keno draws at all. 

Freedom of Information Demand for more than 10 draw results?  That has to be a first since the bad old days when the mob ruled the numbers racket.

a1agape's avatar - ththhottieducky6of4rk
                      RichGirl
                      United States
                      Member #102479
                      December 20, 2010
                      319 Posts
                      Posted: May 16, 2011, 8:18 am - IP Logged

NC Has a nice site.

It is easy to search for past numbers ..I like that the most.

*128* my pet number ***Hit baby hit!!!***

Smash

United States
                        Member #105312
                        January 29, 2011
                        435 Posts
                        Posted: May 16, 2011, 9:51 am - IP Logged

NC Has a nice site.

It is easy to search for past numbers ..I like that the most.

a1agape:  Yes, they do.  NC's done an impressive job with that site.

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
                          Denver, Co
                          United States
                          Member #103046
                          December 29, 2010
                          546 Posts
                          Posted: May 16, 2011, 10:17 am - IP Logged

I'm going to give Colorado an A for their enthusiasm and for trying to come up with something good for residents, however I'll give them a B to a C for their actual site. They recently changed it and I think the former site was better. This new site takes longer to load and for user user-friendliness, it's a bit difficult to find what you want. Overall I think Colorado does a decent job, I just don't like this particular website.

Give someone a fish and feed them for a day. Teach them to use the internet and they won't bother you for weeks. 

pcurtis's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                            fayetteville tn
                            United States
                            Member #68983
                            January 3, 2009
                            1829 Posts
                            Posted: May 16, 2011, 11:13 am - IP Logged

I give TN a big fat F!!!

They never answer my emails plus on the scratchers they

just list the top 3 prizes. 

Milwaukee, WI
                              United States
                              Member #3131
                              December 27, 2003
                              665 Posts
                              Posted: May 16, 2011, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

For Wisconsin

Great for speed.  Slow or non responsive on the corrections.......

Illinois is slower on speed, but they WILL come in and correct in the morning.

And they both answer emails.......

MarkP