Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Illegal betting operations shut due to cash strapped States?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Are States hungry for lottery revenue?

Yes, I think States Like NY are hungry lottery $$ [ 11 ]  [78.57%]
NO, just a coincidence [ 3 ]  [21.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 14 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
sully16's avatar - sharan
Ringleader
Michigan
United States
Member #81740
October 28, 2009
40422 Posts
Posted: May 26, 2011, 8:32 am - IP Logged

I read in the Chicago Tribune the Illinois Senate has passed a bill allowing people to pick up and keep roadkill to eat.  Of course you need to buy a permit to scrape up the flat snacks.  So far it is limited to fur-bearing mammals, so you can't pick up wild fowl or reptiles.   Soylent Green can't be too far down the road.

BobP    Puke

These morons in office want people to get a permit to pick up and eat road kill? Has it occured to them they shouldn't screw with people willing to eat road kill?

Gorilla warfare fun fact, - Way back when the, Cheyenne dog soldiers got that name because they would bring a pack of dogs with them on the war trail, so they wouldn't have to stop and hunt for food.

Just putting it out there.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
    Member #105312
    January 29, 2011
    435 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2011, 9:03 am - IP Logged

These morons in office want people to get a permit to pick up and eat road kill? Has it occured to them they shouldn't screw with people willing to eat road kill?

Gorilla warfare fun fact, - Way back when the, Cheyenne dog soldiers got that name because they would bring a pack of dogs with them on the war trail, so they wouldn't have to stop and hunt for food.

Just putting it out there.

Cities are missing out on a great source of income by not putting a city-operated butcher shop out behind the Humane Society.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2011, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Cities are missing out on a great source of income by not putting a city-operated butcher shop out behind the Humane Society.

The fact that we conduct wholesale slaughter of man's best friend is bad enough without going the extra mile and eating them.

It's a crime the way some people treat dogs in this country.

One can only imagine the regard in which they're held in countries like Korea and China, where they eat them.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

undress's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
        roseville, MI
        United States
        Member #5980
        July 30, 2004
        18205 Posts
        Posted: May 26, 2011, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I find it hard to believe poker players would buy more lottery tickets if they can't get their online poker fix.

BobP

Well Bob I'm a online Poker player thank god I got my money the other day. But one site is not releasing funds to the US Playes...

And I think it's BS...that is a strong group fighting to bring it back. And tax us players gov. stupid for not wanting a piece of a billion dollar industry.

Mad ALL IN!Mad

United States
          Member #105312
          January 29, 2011
          435 Posts
          Posted: May 26, 2011, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

The fact that we conduct wholesale slaughter of man's best friend is bad enough without going the extra mile and eating them.

It's a crime the way some people treat dogs in this country.

One can only imagine the regard in which they're held in countries like Korea and China, where they eat them.

I'm not sure I'm up to making a distinction in matters of ethics and morals between the we treat feedlot cows, dairy cows, battery chicken [layer and meat] operations, and pets.  Not to say I believe in the US there's any danger of what I suggested in my post actually happening so long as things don't get a lot worse than they are.  My comments were tongue in cheek in response to the dog soldier anecdote.

But by the time WWII reached a conclusion in Europe a person would have been hard-pressed to find a pet anywhere in Germany.  I've always assumed they went into cookpots.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: May 26, 2011, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

Good point, Coin.

I'd bet you're a lot more savvy from reading all that Chicago news.

rdgrnr,

Actually down here we read the St Louis Post Dispatch more than the Chicago papers, but yeah.

That and growing up in North Jersey and seeing this all in action.

Wehn I got to Vegas I guy I first worked with had learned to deal in an illegal game in Manhattan. the games was on the 7th floor of an office building. The first floor of the very same building was the HQ of a police precinct.

Talk about paying off the cops!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.