Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If Quickpicks are random like the Mechanical Lottery Ball Machine

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
lottoville
United States
Member #95474
August 11, 2010
132 Posts
Posted: June 7, 2011, 6:45 am - IP Logged

I bought a QP today and I got 13-14-15-16-20 for the 5 white balls. This has to be the third time within the past year I got 4 consecutive numbers. I don't remember the last time I've seen 4 consecutive numbers even get picked for a drawing. If Quickpicks are random like the Mechanical Lottery Ball Machine, then why do I keep getting so many consecutive numbers?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: June 7, 2011, 10:58 am - IP Logged

As Kurt Vonnegut Jr. said in his books, "That moment in time was structured that way."

One time I played a Pick 5 QP at a liquor store and the next day went to the same store and got the same numbers on another QP for the same game.

It happens.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23267 Posts
      Posted: June 7, 2011, 11:07 am - IP Logged

I bought a QP today and I got 13-14-15-16-20 for the 5 white balls. This has to be the third time within the past year I got 4 consecutive numbers. I don't remember the last time I've seen 4 consecutive numbers even get picked for a drawing. If Quickpicks are random like the Mechanical Lottery Ball Machine, then why do I keep getting so many consecutive numbers?

Keep in mind that the Quick Picks random number generator built into lottery machines are not very good.  They will often produce combinations with similar number patterns.  Quick Picks are meant to be quick, not great.

You will find lottery machines' Quick Picks to be as random as most of the random number genetors found on various web sites.  They use the common random feature built into every program language -- which by definition generates patterns of numbers based on the count of an internal CPU clock.  In fact, they are properly referred to as "pseudo-random number generators", because the numbers are not truly random.

That's one of the reasons I built the Lottery Post Quick Picks Generator, which uses an advanced cryptographic code library to generate numbers that are more truly random -- not patterns of numbers seeded off an internal clock.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

bobby623's avatar - abstract
        San Angelo, Texas
        United States
        Member #1097
        January 31, 2003
        1394 Posts
        Posted: June 7, 2011, 11:12 am - IP Logged

It's called - coincidence.

I bet if you would check the 'past winning numbers' file at your lottery website, you will find many drawings having consecutive numbers.

Here in Texas, there was a day when a player complained about getting the same set of numbers twice on one ticket!

Like Coin Toss said, 'it happens.'

The random number generators in lottery terminals don't know where they've been. They don't have a record of prior combinations.

Although lotteries log pre-test and winning combinations, as do millions of players, the ball machines don't keep records, either.

Therefore, anything can happen.

Best way to avoid consecutive and repeat numbers is too pick your own combinations.

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
          The Quantum Master
          West Concord, MN
          United States
          Member #21
          December 7, 2001
          3675 Posts
          Posted: June 7, 2011, 11:12 am - IP Logged

For what game?

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
          Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
          Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
          Knowledge is Beyond Belief
          Wisdom is Not Censored
          Douglas Paul Smallish
          Jehocifer

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
            lottoville
            United States
            Member #95474
            August 11, 2010
            132 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2011, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

Keep in mind that the Quick Picks random number generator built into lottery machines are not very good.  They will often produce combinations with similar number patterns.  Quick Picks are meant to be quick, not great.

You will find lottery machines' Quick Picks to be as random as most of the random number genetors found on various web sites.  They use the common random feature built into every program language -- which by definition generates patterns of numbers based on the count of an internal CPU clock.  In fact, they are properly referred to as "pseudo-random number generators", because the numbers are not truly random.

That's one of the reasons I built the Lottery Post Quick Picks Generator, which uses an advanced cryptographic code library to generate numbers that are more truly random -- not patterns of numbers seeded off an internal clock.

I think I'm through with Quick Picks for the most part.

DFW, Texas
              United States
              Member #78628
              August 18, 2009
              134 Posts
              Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Remember that whether a quick pick is random or not has nothing to do with whether it can win.  I have a consistent set of numbers and rarely play quick picks.  My numbers aren't random; they're related to each other mathematically.  This doesn't make them bad numbers; they're equally as likely to win as the set of numbers on the last ticket that won the jackpot.  I don't play a particular set of numbers because I think it makes it more likely that I'll win, but because if (when) I win, I want those numbers to be the ones I win with.

A consecutive pattern might be objectionable because it's rarely drawn, but the only reason it's objectionable is because it's easy to identify.  A different pattern that's harder to identify, such as squares (2, 4, 9, 16...) times the square root of pi minus anything after the decimal minus an increasing number (1, 2, 3, 4...) is just as likely to happen, but that pattern wouldn't be identified or found objectionable.  But that pattern is no more or less likely to be drawn than 1 2 3 4 5 6.  Numbers that appear random may simply be in a pattern that's difficult to identify.

My point is that the only "good" numbers are the ones that match the numbers drawn.  The intent is that any set of numbers has an equal chance of being drawn, so any other assessment of the quality of numbers on a ticket is meaningless.  You can't identify "good" or "bad" numbers until after the drawing has taken place.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                Texas
                United States
                Member #92330
                June 5, 2010
                887 Posts
                Posted: June 7, 2011, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

Took a look at past winning Powerball numbers pretty quickly and these stood out.

12/12/09  12-13-14-35-41 PowerBall: 29 (PowerPlay: 2)

10/16/10  11-12-15-16-28 PowerBall: 11 (PowerPlay: 2) 

12/01/10  05-10-11-12-20 PowerBall: 02 (PowerPlay: 3)

Then there was this one. Excluding the PB look how similar the draws were. Three balls were the same and the others were very similar. How many of us would have said "look how crappy these numbers are! half of these are last weeks numbers!"?

10/17/09 05-16-25-30-49 PowerBall: 39 (PowerPlay: 5)

10/14/09 05-15-25-30-40 PowerBall: 06 (PowerPlay: 2)

Mega Millions also had some:

03-04-05-07-36 MB:16

12-13-15-17-50 MB:23

10-20-30-44-49 MB:24

Also looked at some numbers from in Europe.

UK Lotto 6/49 had: 20-21-23-24-27-28

Swedish 7/35 had: 1-21-22-23-24-25-29

--------------------------------------------

Patterns can be found in many more results, those were just the most obvious and the ones I looked for in lottery results (which were sequences in the 1-20). You can find more if you really spend time looking through the results.

I've stopped caring when I've found I have number sequences as they are never an indicator of a bad set. I've had QP tickets that were the most random I've seen anywhere and they did just as well/bad as ones that had multiple sequences or repeated numbers.

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2011, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

it might be that you might have a little/some psychic abilities...

in psychology several people had describe throughout the ages that a phenomenon known as:sinchronizity occurs have occured to them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

I Remember the first time i try playing the lotto i kept getting: 3/6 and i cant remember but i think the 6th to 7th time i tried i got a: 4/6....all quick picks...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: June 7, 2011, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

it might be that you might have a little/some psychic abilities...

in psychology several people had describe throughout the ages that a phenomenon known as:sinchronizity occurs have occured to them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

I Remember the first time i try playing the lotto i kept getting: 3/6 and i cant remember but i think the 6th to 7th time i tried i got a: 4/6....all quick picks...

try taking multivitamins and vitamins for your brain to stimulate your psychic part of your brain....but take them for a long time...they costs like: $5 for a: 120 to 180 day supply...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5345 Posts
                      Posted: June 7, 2011, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

try taking multivitamins and vitamins for your brain to stimulate your psychic part of your brain....but take them for a long time...they costs like: $5 for a: 120 to 180 day supply...

Are you telling yourself to take vitamins?...lol

vitamins

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                        Member #81314
                        October 16, 2009
                        18995 Posts
                        Posted: June 7, 2011, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo @ Joker17

"You guys, make my day", lmaooooooooooooooooooooooo

I love quick picks, lol,   Even though, I keep getting, 516, 615, 561, 165, 156, 651,  it has yet to show.P***ed

The Struggle is real!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19827 Posts
                          Posted: June 7, 2011, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

When you buy QPs, by default you're saying give me some numbers, any numbers fast and I don't bother being particular or otherwise you would pick them yourself.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: June 7, 2011, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

I've had that happen once with my Virginia Cash5 monthly ticket.

I always get one line of QP's for every drawing for the month. A 30 or 31 day Multidraw.

The last time I got that QP, I got these numbers - 1, 7, 16, 17, 18. Didn't win a dime that month.

I use the Lottery Post RNG now, much better.

And I won with it the first time I used it for my monthly number.  3 + 1 on the Mega. $450.00 with the Megaplier.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                              Member #75358
                              June 1, 2009
                              5345 Posts
                              Posted: June 7, 2011, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo @ Joker17

"You guys, make my day", lmaooooooooooooooooooooooo

I love quick picks, lol,   Even though, I keep getting, 516, 615, 561, 165, 156, 651,  it has yet to show.P***ed

Maybe it's the Yellow Tail Chardonnay wine but I'm cracking up so loud....hee hee...

Green laugh

All i know is that Pumpi is an asset here at the LP.  I love the guy. Very confident about what he writes.

Part of what gets me through the day is what Pumpi writes.

Thanks Pumpi....Lovies