Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 4:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If Quickpicks are random like the Mechanical Lottery Ball Machine

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #110736
May 11, 2011
34 Posts
Posted: June 9, 2011, 2:01 am - IP Logged

My QuickPicks always look funny but I don't think much of it.

NH
    United States
    Member #83352
    December 5, 2009
    223 Posts
    Posted: June 9, 2011, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

Will the quik pick computer spit out duplicate numbers before it runs through all possible combo's?

Jomacinrow's avatar - f6cb44d1c9
      Dublin, GA
      United States
      Member #112083
      June 10, 2011
      22 Posts
      Posted: June 10, 2011, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

I also dont like the fact that Quick Picks can pull the same numbers for both standard and bonus numbers on the same play, basically meaning it's very rare for that to happen (Ie: you have white and money ball numbers of the same number) in a drawing.

Has anyone determined/discuss the Pros and Cons and Advantages vs. Advantages  of hand picking vs. quick picks, Has a study been conducted how often quick picks win or what method has more winners?

United States
        Member #110736
        May 11, 2011
        34 Posts
        Posted: June 10, 2011, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

So, I won a Take 5 QP from the Instant Take 5 game, and since the NY Lottery is having a "buy $10 get 3 QP free" special, I played that.

All four Quick Picks have consecutive numbers. Two of them have 3 numbers in a row....

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2011, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

So, I won a Take 5 QP from the Instant Take 5 game, and since the NY Lottery is having a "buy $10 get 3 QP free" special, I played that.

All four Quick Picks have consecutive numbers. Two of them have 3 numbers in a row....

That bites.

Nothing you can do about it though. They'll tell you it's possible and it happens which it is and does.

But it still bites.

Sure sounds kinda fishy though, just the Quick Picks... hmm...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2011, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Will the quik pick computer spit out duplicate numbers before it runs through all possible combo's?

Yep, if it's truly random, the odds are it will.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: June 10, 2011, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

For what game?

I think he's talking about the MM, Jade.

--Edmund Burke

United States
                Member #93947
                July 10, 2010
                2180 Posts
                Posted: June 10, 2011, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

Remember that whether a quick pick is random or not has nothing to do with whether it can win.  I have a consistent set of numbers and rarely play quick picks.  My numbers aren't random; they're related to each other mathematically.  This doesn't make them bad numbers; they're equally as likely to win as the set of numbers on the last ticket that won the jackpot.  I don't play a particular set of numbers because I think it makes it more likely that I'll win, but because if (when) I win, I want those numbers to be the ones I win with.

A consecutive pattern might be objectionable because it's rarely drawn, but the only reason it's objectionable is because it's easy to identify.  A different pattern that's harder to identify, such as squares (2, 4, 9, 16...) times the square root of pi minus anything after the decimal minus an increasing number (1, 2, 3, 4...) is just as likely to happen, but that pattern wouldn't be identified or found objectionable.  But that pattern is no more or less likely to be drawn than 1 2 3 4 5 6.  Numbers that appear random may simply be in a pattern that's difficult to identify.

My point is that the only "good" numbers are the ones that match the numbers drawn.  The intent is that any set of numbers has an equal chance of being drawn, so any other assessment of the quality of numbers on a ticket is meaningless.  You can't identify "good" or "bad" numbers until after the drawing has taken place.

"My point is that the only "good" numbers are the ones that match the numbers drawn."

Longarm is the smartest poster I've come across thus far today!

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7344 Posts
                  Posted: June 10, 2011, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

Keep in mind that the Quick Picks random number generator built into lottery machines are not very good.  They will often produce combinations with similar number patterns.  Quick Picks are meant to be quick, not great.

You will find lottery machines' Quick Picks to be as random as most of the random number genetors found on various web sites.  They use the common random feature built into every program language -- which by definition generates patterns of numbers based on the count of an internal CPU clock.  In fact, they are properly referred to as "pseudo-random number generators", because the numbers are not truly random.

That's one of the reasons I built the Lottery Post Quick Picks Generator, which uses an advanced cryptographic code library to generate numbers that are more truly random -- not patterns of numbers seeded off an internal clock.

"Keep in mind that the Quick Picks random number generator built into lottery machines are not very good.  They will often produce combinations with similar number patterns.  Quick Picks are meant to be quick, not great."

I've used the LP Quick Picks Generator for comparison and noticed a more balanced number distribution than I see with a like number of QPs. It's not uncommon to see many numbers found on multiple lines with purchased QPs or three or four consecutive numbers.

The next time someone says "the LP QPs Generator is the same as purchased QPs", I going to quote you.Wink

United States
                    Member #93947
                    July 10, 2010
                    2180 Posts
                    Posted: June 10, 2011, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

If I were Todd, knowing the way many of my clientele think, I would program my QuickPicker to discard the randomly generated sets that are likely to be perceived as non-random.  Wink

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: June 10, 2011, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

If I were Todd, knowing the way many of my clientele think, I would program my QuickPicker to discard the randomly generated sets that are likely to be perceived as non-random.  Wink

But you're not Todd, you're Nancy, a malcontented ne'er-do-well with a condescending attitude.

--Edmund Burke

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #104853
                        January 21, 2011
                        159 Posts
                        Posted: June 17, 2011, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

Well this is weird, I just got back from buying 3 Hoosier Lotto tickets for Saturday.  One was a self pick, the other two are QPs.  The funny thing is on the two QPs I have 4 of my self pick numbers appear plus a couple of other shared numbers.  So I have 6 numbers across three slips that are repeated once.

So what do you guys think?  Should I get one more ticket with all the 6 repeated numbers or is the machine really just screwing around with me?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: June 17, 2011, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Well this is weird, I just got back from buying 3 Hoosier Lotto tickets for Saturday.  One was a self pick, the other two are QPs.  The funny thing is on the two QPs I have 4 of my self pick numbers appear plus a couple of other shared numbers.  So I have 6 numbers across three slips that are repeated once.

So what do you guys think?  Should I get one more ticket with all the 6 repeated numbers or is the machine really just screwing around with me?

I say go for it, it's only a buck.

As long as it don't put a crimp on yer whiskey money, that is.

A man's got to know his limitations.

--Edmund Burke

United States
                            Member #93947
                            July 10, 2010
                            2180 Posts
                            Posted: June 17, 2011, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Repeats can be a good thing too.

It just depends on the luck of the draw, don't you think?

I find that, over time, it "all comes out in the wash!"

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                              Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #104853
                              January 21, 2011
                              159 Posts
                              Posted: June 17, 2011, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

I caved in and bought a 4th ticket w/ the 6 repeating numbers from the other three.  This should be interesting.  If this 4th ticket wins, not only will I win the jackpot but I will also win a couple of pari-mutuel prizes and $3 along with it.

Heh heh/