Store owner killed for $3 of lottery tickets

Jun 27, 2011, 8:50 am (37 comments)

Insider Buzz

MORRISTOWN, N.J. — Felony murder charges have been filed against a man accused in the dragging death of a northern New Jersey gas station owner, who authorities say was killed over the alleged theft of a few dollars worth of lottery tickets.

Bail was set Sunday at $750,000 for 34-year-old Ronnie Fedo of Lake Hopatcong. He's also charged with aggravated manslaughter, death by auto, leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death and robbery in connection with Saturday afternoon's incident in Jefferson Township.

Speaking at a news conference Sunday in Morristown, Morris County Prosecutor Robert Bianchi said Fedo arrived at the station in a sport utility vehicle around 1:45 p.m. and went into its convenience store. At the time, the station's owner — 65-year-old Nisan Ambaroglu of Paramus — was working at the gas pumps and no staffers were in the store.

Fedo soon reached over the counter and took the lottery tickets — about $3 to $4 worth — and put them in his pants pocket, Bianchi said. Ambaroglu then entered the store a short time later and Fedo, after making unrelated purchase, left and entered his vehicle.

After realizing what had happened, Ambaroglu ran out and went to the driver's side window of the SUV in a bid to stop Fedo, who drove off and dragged Ambaroglu through the parking lot and then for about 100 yards on Route 15 South. Ambaroglu then fell from the vehicle and ended up in the roadway as Fedo drove away.

Ambaroglu, who had owned the gas station for about seven years, was taken to Saint Clare's Hospital in Dover, where he was pronounced dead a short time later. But further details on his injuries and a cause of death have not been disclosed

By late Saturday afternoon, authorities had released video of the incident and photographs of the suspect. And around 10 p.m. Saturday, Jefferson police were called by a worker at another township business — not far from the gas station — who recognized Fedo.

After further investigation, authorities located Fedo and the SUV they believe he was driving when the incident occurred. Bianchi said the arrest occurred Sunday morning, but would not say where it happened or provide further details.

Bianchi said Fedo was later admitted to a local hospital for treatment of a leg infection — which was unrelated to the gas station incident — and remained there Sunday afternoon. When he is released, he will be taken to the county jail.

AP

Comments

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

What is wrong with people? $3.00 you gotta be kidding me. Fedo needs to be dragged up & down the street just like he did Mr. Ambaroglu.....

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

When I was in Philadelphia in 1972 a fellow student was killed for pocket change!

The world is getting worse .................. I was down and out once .................. I asked people for spare change, I did not steal !!!!!!!

Mad

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Jun 27, 2011

What is wrong with people? $3.00 you gotta be kidding me. Fedo needs to be dragged up & down the street just like he did Mr. Ambaroglu.....

Going to jail is going to be the new "free healthcare, room & board" system for many people.

increase's avatarincrease

A human life is worth a lot more than $3-4.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

What a sad, sad story.

This guy oughta get the chair expeditiously.

But the libs and the ACLU will make sure he's around and comfortable for another 15 years or so even if he gets convicted.

Afterall, he may have suffered the horrors of drug addiction due to the pressures of society or something.

So it may have been our fault.

In which case he'll be sent to drug-rehab for a year or so.

Then be released as a hero of the left.

And write a book about his struggles.

And how nothing was his fault.

And the crowd goes wild...

loonasee2's avatarloonasee2

Sounds like a good case for four wheel drive pickup,a twelve foot rope,and a bumpy back road.And Fedo can ride on the end of the rope.................eye for a eye and a tooth for a tooth

sully16's avatarsully16

Dirt bag needs a dirt nap.

konane's avatarkonane

Shameful actions, no conscience.

Sincere condolences to Mr. Ambaroglu's family.  May he rest in peace.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Jun 27, 2011

Dirt bag needs a dirt nap.

Roll Eyes you'll get no arguement from me ... personally they ought to bury him alive

TheOtherOne's avatarTheOtherOne

My condolences to the Ambaroglu family. This guy died for no reason.

I wonder what compelled him to run after the guy though? Was he afraid the NJ lottery comission would hold him accountable for the stolen tickets? Did he think he could convince the crook to give up the stolen tickets?

I worked at a gas station as a yout and would run after people sometimes if they didnt pay. Usually they just 'forgot' and would hand over the cash or come in and pay (a different time and place, I know). The owner would always tell me I didnt have to do that but I told him I took it personally.

I guess that is what Ambaroglu felt but these days I have come to realize it is not worth risking my life over a few dollars or chasing a potential hardened criminal over a few dollars (or even several thousand dollars) worth of goods. That is what insurance is for.

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

just one saying WTF. i hope he rot in jail and they nail him from the back so hard that he will remember and regret his whole life what he did.

god bless the victim soul and may god give the family the strenght to go through this rough timing .

peace.

CashWinner$

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Jun 27, 2011

I Agree!

Grovel's avatarGrovel

Why would he chase after someone who stole a few lotto tickets. Its not like they were any good.

NoShame's avatarNoShame

A similar incident happened at my college a few years ago.  A student offered a couple of townies a ride home from a party and they shot and killed him and took the $2 that was all he had on him.

Pretty depressing.

faber98

just a case of unintentional homicide. absolutely no reason to chase someone over lottery tickets whether 3.00 or 3000.00 when you can cancel the serial numbers and the tickets become instantly worthless..got to blame the gas station guy for this one for taking stupidity pill that got him accidentally  killed apparently.

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

MY  CONDOLENCE  GO  OUT  TO  MR.  AMBAROGLU  FAMILY  IN THEIR HOUR  OF  NEED.   AS FOR  MR.FEDO   YOU DON'T SEEN TO VALUE LIFE  VERY MUCH. THERE IS  NO   TICKET  ON  EARTH  WORTH  KILLING  FOR.  THIS IS DISGUSTING ,  I'M  ASKING  IN MY HEAD  RIGHT NOW  WHAT I  BELIEVE HIS FAMILY  AND FRIENDS  WILL  ASK  .  AT  WHAT  POINT  DID  YOU  DECIDE  THIS  MAN  LIFE  WAS WORTHLESS  AND YOUR  TO  TAKE.  NOW ,  I'M  WONDERING  IF YOU  WERE  HIGH  ON SOMETHING ,  INTOXICATED  OR  JUST  PLAIN  STUCK  ON  STUPID.  THIS  THOUGHT OF  KILLING  ANY  ONE  FOR A FEW LOTTERY TICKETS  IS TO MUCH.  YOU GOT TO BE  KIDDING.  YOU  DESERVE FOR THEM  TO  LOCK- U - UP  LET THEM THROW  AWAY THE  KEY  AND FORGOT ABOUT  YOU. IF  THIS  A NEIGHBORHOOD STORE  CLOSE TO ANY  OF YOUR FAMILY  MEMBER  I  STONGLY  SUGGEST  THEY  GET  PREPARE  FOR FULL  EFFECT  OF  THIS. FOR MR. FEDO I,M  HOPEING  THE LAW GIVE YOU  PLENTY OF TIME TO THINK  ABOUT IT  BEHIND  BARS.  THIS IS MY POLITE  VERSION  OF WHAT I  REALLY  WANT TO  SAY ABOUT HIM.  BY THE WAY IS MR. FEDO  CLAIMING  INSANITY.

Grovel's avatarGrovel

Quote: Originally posted by cbr$ on Jun 27, 2011

MY  CONDOLENCE  GO  OUT  TO  MR.  AMBAROGLU  FAMILY  IN THEIR HOUR  OF  NEED.   AS FOR  MR.FEDO   YOU DON'T SEEN TO VALUE LIFE  VERY MUCH. THERE IS  NO   TICKET  ON  EARTH  WORTH  KILLING  FOR.  THIS IS DISGUSTING ,  I'M  ASKING  IN MY HEAD  RIGHT NOW  WHAT I  BELIEVE HIS FAMILY  AND FRIENDS  WILL  ASK  .  AT  WHAT  POINT  DID  YOU  DECIDE  THIS  MAN  LIFE  WAS WORTHLESS  AND YOUR  TO  TAKE.  NOW ,  I'M  WONDERING  IF YOU  WERE  HIGH  ON SOMETHING ,  INTOXICATED  OR  JUST  PLAIN  STUCK  ON  STUPID.  THIS  THOUGHT OF  KILLING  ANY  ONE  FOR A FEW LOTTERY TICKETS  IS TO MUCH.  YOU GOT TO BE  KIDDING.  YOU  DESERVE FOR THEM  TO  LOCK- U - UP  LET THEM THROW  AWAY THE  KEY  AND FORGOT ABOUT  YOU. IF  THIS  A NEIGHBORHOOD STORE  CLOSE TO ANY  OF YOUR FAMILY  MEMBER  I  STONGLY  SUGGEST  THEY  GET  PREPARE  FOR FULL  EFFECT  OF  THIS. FOR MR. FEDO I,M  HOPEING  THE LAW GIVE YOU  PLENTY OF TIME TO THINK  ABOUT IT  BEHIND  BARS.  THIS IS MY POLITE  VERSION  OF WHAT I  REALLY  WANT TO  SAY ABOUT HIM.  BY THE WAY IS MR. FEDO  CLAIMING  INSANITY.

Except he did not kill for a ticket. Some dumbass jumped on top of his car when the tickets he had were worth Zero dollars. And they would have caught him if he tried to cash them in.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Grovel on Jun 27, 2011

Except he did not kill for a ticket. Some dumbass jumped on top of his car when the tickets he had were worth Zero dollars. And they would have caught him if he tried to cash them in.

He's a dumbass for defending what's his from some lowlife thief?

That guy's lucky it wasn't me cuz I would have busted a cap in his ass.

Some of us live by a code of honor and principles.

It doesn't matter what the tickets were worth - they weren't his to take.

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 27, 2011

He's a dumbass for defending what's his from some lowlife thief?

That guy's lucky it wasn't me cuz I would have busted a cap in his ass.

Some of us live by a code of honor and principles.

It doesn't matter what the tickets were worth - they weren't his to take.

it wasn't worth it. let's learn from this incident and remember life is more important than money, any amount.

Grovel's avatarGrovel

Shooting the guy is a lot smarter than trying to stop his car by standing in front of it. All I am trying to say is that was not the best idea he had that day.

Edit: That was directed towards rdgrnr

joker17

This is why law enforcement always reiterates not getting involved with criminal actions. Let them take the money or whatever, it's not worth risking your life. Forget being dragged by a car, you don't want bullets flying your way.

You can always make more money tomorrow. Especially over 3 bucks. 

Heck, I volunteer to throw money away everyday....and it's more than 3 bucks...Disapprove

Surrender

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by TheOtherOne on Jun 27, 2011

My condolences to the Ambaroglu family. This guy died for no reason.

I wonder what compelled him to run after the guy though? Was he afraid the NJ lottery comission would hold him accountable for the stolen tickets? Did he think he could convince the crook to give up the stolen tickets?

I worked at a gas station as a yout and would run after people sometimes if they didnt pay. Usually they just 'forgot' and would hand over the cash or come in and pay (a different time and place, I know). The owner would always tell me I didnt have to do that but I told him I took it personally.

I guess that is what Ambaroglu felt but these days I have come to realize it is not worth risking my life over a few dollars or chasing a potential hardened criminal over a few dollars (or even several thousand dollars) worth of goods. That is what insurance is for.

I Agree! This is an example of two people, simultaneously, thinking nonsensically in their judgements and actions ... and the worse case scenario of such actions.  Sad, frightening, and maddening! 

Good thing there was working film in this gas station's camera for the police's review, right?

Odd how we allow our police employees to continue to refer [and thus think] of these murders and maimings by the non-sensical title of "incident." Although, perhaps this discounted type of classifying of crimes is necessary in order to keep police in long term employment [a detached sort of realm].

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by joker17 on Jun 27, 2011

This is why law enforcement always reiterates not getting involved with criminal actions. Let them take the money or whatever, it's not worth risking your life. Forget being dragged by a car, you don't want bullets flying your way.

You can always make more money tomorrow. Especially over 3 bucks. 

Heck, I volunteer to throw money away everyday....and it's more than 3 bucks...Disapprove

Surrender

You can lay down for the bad guys if you want.

I defend what's mine - by any means necessary.

Call me old fashioned but this peckerwood don't play.

joker17

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 28, 2011

You can lay down for the bad guys if you want.

I defend what's mine - by any means necessary.

Call me old fashioned but this peckerwood don't play.

I'm glad you feel this way Ridge.

We can only be so lucky for you to get caught in the crossfire.  One less moron in this world would improve this planet immediately.

(Crosses fingers).....Agree with stupid

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by joker17 on Jun 28, 2011

I'm glad you feel this way Ridge.

We can only be so lucky for you to get caught in the crossfire.  One less moron in this world would improve this planet immediately.

(Crosses fingers).....Agree with stupid

Wow, actually hoping I get killed...

That oughta do wonders for your karma.

Still dealing with the anger and hate issues I see.

Nonetheless, I still wish you the best as always.

joker17

Wow, actually hoping I get killed...

That oughta do wonders for your karma.

Still dealing with the anger and hate issues I see.

Nonetheless, I still wish you the best as always.

You're a troll going around the forums picking fights with me, and losing in the process.

You're the one that hates using racist remarks like Iranian cab driver who lives in a cave and beats women. You're the one that wanted to knock my teeth out remember? Oh how we forget so easily. 

Talk about anger and hate issues... https://www.lotterypost.com/news/232109/2113986

Maybe you should take that Karma and stick it up your ass.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

You're a troll going around the forums picking fights with me, and losing in the process.

You're the one that hates using racist remarks like Iranian cab driver who lives in a cave and beats women. You're the one that wanted to knock my teeth out remember? Oh how we forget so easily. 

Talk about anger and hate issues... https://www.lotterypost.com/news/232109/2113986

Maybe you should take that Karma and stick it up your ass.

I want you to march right into the kitchen and make a nice pot of herbal tea now, little Mr. Man!

Green tea, Chamomile, Valerian Root, I don't care, just do something to calm yourself down.

And some cookies too! (Make sure they're 100% whole grain!)

All this anger and frustration and hate is stressing you out.

And I mean that with every fiber of my being, little fella.

I'm really getting worried about you, so c'mon now, think happy thoughts!

We want only the best for you!

joker17

I want you to march right into the kitchen and make a nice pot of herbal tea now, little Mr. Man!

Green tea, Chamomile, Valerian Root, I don't care, just do something to calm yourself down.

And some cookies too! (Make sure they're 100% whole grain!)

All this anger and frustration and hate is stressing you out.

And I mean that with every fiber of my being, little fella.

I'm really getting worried about you, so c'mon now, think happy thoughts!

We want only the best for you!

Hey folks, don't be fooled by this "Mr. Nice guy" routine Ridge is trying to portray. Look at the this thread and you'll see the racist hate filled trash that this hyporcite is really made of.

I blame some of it  on myself for letting him bring out the anger in me and call him a hillbilly so he can have a taste of his own medicine. It was my fault for lowering myself to his level.

You're a racist hypocrite.

You wish the best for me.....YEAH right....what a load of crap !

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/232109/2112108

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Hey folks, don't be fooled by this "Mr. Nice guy" routine Ridge is trying to portray. Look at the this thread and you'll see the racist hate filled trash that this hyporcite is really made of.

I blame some of it  on myself for letting him bring out the anger in me and call him a hillbilly so he can have a taste of his own medicine. It was my fault for lowering myself to his level.

You're a racist hypocrite.

You wish the best for me.....YEAH right....what a load of crap !

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/232109/2112108

Yeah, I said I'd pour some pig blood on your head if you wanted.

What's wrong with pig blood? You got something against pig blood?

How does that compare to you hoping I get killed?

Are you drunk already this early?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

On second thought, never mind, joker.

I'm not going to be a party to you hijacking yet another thread.

Talk to the fist.

joker17

On second thought, never mind, joker.

I'm not going to be a party to you hijacking yet another thread.

Talk to the fist.

Good, you should've thought about that before you opened your trap to begin with.

What a joke, out of all the people who now wants to go by the rules of LP.

You broke just about every one of them in the other two threads, but now you are a saint?

ahaaah ahhha ahha ha....what a heap!!!

ScubaGolfJim

"All this anger and frustration and hate is stressing you out."

This from the "person" that writes this crap from the beginning:

"But the libs and the ACLU will make sure he's around and comfortable for another 15 years or so even if he gets convicted.
Afterall, he may have suffered the horrors of drug addiction due to the pressures of society or something.
And the crowd goes wild..."

Maybe you should keep your ignorant bigoted hatred to yourself. The ACLU protects everyones' rights under the Constitution. Even your right to make a total a$$ of yourself on public forums like this. Also, why not look up the meaning of your attempted derogartory "libs" remark and see the light of what "Liberal" really means.

Wanna know what this "lib" thinks about the Death Penalty? It is not a deterrent, because most die of natural causes on death row. Guilty beyond doubt? Have DNA to back it up? Sentence carried out before sunset. Got someone on death row right now that is asking for DNA test? DO IT WITHOUT QUESTION. BE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE. Our legal system is designed to let a guilty man go free before an innocent man is convicted. Use that logic on the death penalty and see why there are years of appeals required.

Typical con hatred spewing forth ignorant comments about which you apparently know nothing and then you attempt to deride someone else for their "hatred and frustration and hate." While looking up the meaning of the word "liberal" (open minded, forward thinking, etc.,) check out "projection" also. Pathetic attempt to change your tune later in the thread.

joker17

Quote: Originally posted by ScubaGolfJim on Jun 29, 2011

"But the libs and the ACLU will make sure he's around and comfortable for another 15 years or so even if he gets convicted.

Maybe you should keep your ignorant bigoted hatred to yourself. The ACLU protects everyones' rights under the Constitution. Even your right to make a total a$$ of yourself on public forums like this. Also, why not look up the meaning of your attempted derogartory "libs" remark and see the light of what "Liberal" really means.

Wanna know what this "lib" thinks about the Death Penalty? It is not a deterrent, because most die of natural causes on death row. Guilty beyond doubt? Have DNA to back it up? Sentence carried out before sunset. Got someone on death row right now that is asking for DNA test? DO IT WITHOUT QUESTION. BE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE. Our legal system is designed to let a guilty man go free before an innocent man is convicted. Use that logic on the death penalty and see why there are years of appeals required.

Typical con hatred spewing forth ignorant comments about which you apparently know nothing and then you attempt to deride someone else for their "hatred and frustration and hate." While looking up the meaning of the word "liberal" (open minded, forward thinking, etc.,) check out "projection" also. Pathetic attempt to change your tune later in the thread.

Don't let Ridge see this. He'll tell you you're an idiot for writing this. He's a self appointed dictator.

Also, prepare to be called all kinds of names and has nothing to do with the discussion. That's what people do when they have nothing important to say.

Hermanus104's avatarHermanus104

What is wrong with you, Fedo? How petty can you get? If I were Marcus Tullius Cicero, I would write an oration against you and your greed!

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 27, 2011

What a sad, sad story.

This guy oughta get the chair expeditiously.

But the libs and the ACLU will make sure he's around and comfortable for another 15 years or so even if he gets convicted.

And the crowd goes wild...

ridge,tryin to remember the tune by billy joel,"billy the kid" late 70s "the judge said string em up for what he done and the cowboy and their kin like the sea came porrin in, to watch the hanging of billy the kid" no mention of the aclu in the tune.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by ScubaGolfJim on Jun 29, 2011

Wow, a girly-man from Georgia!

Where are you from originally?

Frisco? LOL

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jul 4, 2011

Wow, a girly-man from Georgia!

Where are you from originally?

Frisco? LOL

ridge out about making new friends...This is what tiggs likes about you ridge always out there helping people out and making new friends..Keep up the good work you'll get yours in the end..,.Sweet!..

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story