Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should I report this error or not?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 5 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Chicago
United States
Member #50524
March 7, 2007
7 Posts
Posted: June 30, 2011, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Hi all,

Last night, I decided to play a lottery on a whim. I don't play very often. I asked the clerk in Speedway if there which lottery game was up for the night. I purchased 3 QuickPick PowerBall tickets.

He gave me 2 separate tickets. 1 with one QP and 1 with 2 QPs. This is not unusual because a few months ago, a different Speedway gave me my tickets the same way.

Anyway, today, I noticed that 1 of the tickets was printed nearly an hour earlier, and was generated from a different machine.

Is this normal? Should this be reported?

Thanks!

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: June 30, 2011, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

I've had them give me "mistake" tickets that were printed earlier, but never one from another machine.  Yeah something's up.  I think I'd call the lottery commission to let them know about that.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19831 Posts
      Posted: June 30, 2011, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

What happened probably wasn't an error, if you put all that information in an e-mail to your lottery they would probably be glad to get to the bottom of what happened.

Considering the fact had you won a jackpot with a ticket that was generated somewhere else, you could have been accused of stealing it from it rightful owner.

It would be a scam if a clerk went somewhere else and bought a bunch of QPs, noted their combinations and resold them, check their combinations after the drawings and if one won a large prize turn in a claim noting the ticket data and say he lost it.  Any one else showing up to making a claim a with a story about buying it at that gas station would probably be accused of stealing or finding it and making a false claim.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Chicago
        United States
        Member #50524
        March 7, 2007
        7 Posts
        Posted: June 30, 2011, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

Wow! I never thought of it that way RJOh. I guess I will go ahead and send a report. Thanks to the both of you for answering my post.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2011, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

What happened probably wasn't an error, if you put all that information in an e-mail to your lottery they would probably be glad to get to the bottom of what happened.

Considering the fact had you won a jackpot with a ticket that was generated somewhere else, you could have been accused of stealing it from it rightful owner.

It would be a scam if a clerk went somewhere else and bought a bunch of QPs, noted their combinations and resold them, check their combinations after the drawings and if one won a large prize turn in a claim noting the ticket data and say he lost it.  Any one else showing up to making a claim a with a story about buying it at that gas station would probably be accused of stealing or finding it and making a false claim.

always inspect your tickets closely,including retailer number.

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
            Nashville, TN
            United States
            Member #86739
            February 9, 2010
            483 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2011, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps, but since she has the ticket and it is a bearer instrument, if she were to sign it and win then I think it would all go to her.

Then again, these days you never know with everyone being all sue happy (and winning).

Hopefully the lottery commission will help you on that one. good luck

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7325 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2011, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Hi all,

Last night, I decided to play a lottery on a whim. I don't play very often. I asked the clerk in Speedway if there which lottery game was up for the night. I purchased 3 QuickPick PowerBall tickets.

He gave me 2 separate tickets. 1 with one QP and 1 with 2 QPs. This is not unusual because a few months ago, a different Speedway gave me my tickets the same way.

Anyway, today, I noticed that 1 of the tickets was printed nearly an hour earlier, and was generated from a different machine.

Thanks!

"I don't play very often."

I play often but never looked at the tickets close enough to see the terminal number. Looking at 5 winning tickets from three different stores with three from the same store, I can't find any numbers that are unique to one terminal.

It's possible a regular customer bought the "different ticket" at another store, didn't like the numbers and the clerk exchanged it knowing they could sell it later. Sign the back of the ticket, cash if it wins, or throw it away if it's a loser.

"Should this be reported?"

Personally I'd prefer that the tickets be printed out or the clerk at least ask me if I want to buy a mistake, but either way you got exactly what you asked and paid for; three $1 PB QPs.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: June 30, 2011, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Hi all,

Thanks!

Report him.

It's most likely Mr. Patel.

And if he tries it again, knock him into next week.

Mr. Patel hates that.

Hi shygirl,

I'm kinda shy my own self too.  Wink

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19831 Posts
                  Posted: July 1, 2011, 1:00 am - IP Logged

"I don't play very often."

I play often but never looked at the tickets close enough to see the terminal number. Looking at 5 winning tickets from three different stores with three from the same store, I can't find any numbers that are unique to one terminal.

It's possible a regular customer bought the "different ticket" at another store, didn't like the numbers and the clerk exchanged it knowing they could sell it later. Sign the back of the ticket, cash if it wins, or throw it away if it's a loser.

"Should this be reported?"

Personally I'd prefer that the tickets be printed out or the clerk at least ask me if I want to buy a mistake, but either way you got exactly what you asked and paid for; three $1 PB QPs.

I make out play slips for my tickets so they have to be printed out in my presence but I do notice the retailer number on the bottom of the tickets because when I buy tickets at several locations, I prefer to cash my winners where I bought them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                    California
                    United States
                    Member #112364
                    June 17, 2011
                    661 Posts
                    Posted: July 1, 2011, 2:11 am - IP Logged

This is why I much prefer to buy from a machine. Machine doesn't cheat.

United States
                      Member #94616
                      July 24, 2010
                      4735 Posts
                      Posted: July 1, 2011, 3:11 am - IP Logged

This is why I much prefer to buy from a machine. Machine doesn't cheat.

Good point!! I am just getting used to using the machines.  Also the machines don't give you a crappy look when you insert a bunch of playslips cuz you are holding up the line of beer & cig buyers!

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                        California
                        United States
                        Member #112364
                        June 17, 2011
                        661 Posts
                        Posted: July 1, 2011, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Hi all,

Thanks!

How did you find out the the time where the ticket was printed? My ticket doesn't have any time printed on it. Only the date of the draw is printed.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: July 1, 2011, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

How did you find out the the time where the ticket was printed? My ticket doesn't have any time printed on it. Only the date of the draw is printed.

Different states show various info.

My state shows the time, date, terminal number (location), & a number on the back showing the paper spool too, plus a half dozen other numbers (in decimal, hex, and 2D bar-code format) I haven't decoded yet.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7325 Posts
                            Posted: July 1, 2011, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering how someone that "doesn't play very often" knew which numbers on the ticket shows which store printed the tickets. My tickets do have the date and time the tickets were printed, but I can't find any numbers that indicated a particular store and I looked at several tickets from different stores.

Just a guess but the ticket was probably a mistake or someone didn't like the numbers and the clerk sold them to the next person asking for 2 QPs.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: July 1, 2011, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering how someone that "doesn't play very often" knew which numbers on the ticket shows which store printed the tickets. My tickets do have the date and time the tickets were printed, but I can't find any numbers that indicated a particular store and I looked at several tickets from different stores.

Just a guess but the ticket was probably a mistake or someone didn't like the numbers and the clerk sold them to the next person asking for 2 QPs.

There have been people who've won buying tickets that other people didn't want, but if you'd rather have "fresh" QPs, the way to get them is to mark 'QP' on the playslip. That way, Mr. Patel can't pull a fast one on you. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.