Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should I report this error or not?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 5 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: July 1, 2011, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

Idaho's tickets have the date, the time (down to the second) and the terminal/store number.  I have a Powerball and a Megamillion that I bought from a machine at the grocery store and they both have the same location number.  Then there's some other stuff I can't decipher.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40609 Posts
    Posted: July 1, 2011, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

Check the drawing date,make sure your not getting an old one.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
      Member #24439
      October 22, 2005
      638 Posts
      Posted: July 3, 2011, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

Maybe she works for the lottery commision or a store clerk.

United States
        Member #24439
        October 22, 2005
        638 Posts
        Posted: July 3, 2011, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

It might be a good idea for LP members to know what these numbers are. My tickets have 3 uniques series of numbers on the front and one or two on the back that indicates its position on the roll of paper it is printed on.

I bought a ticket once with the bar code completely cut off. I got home before I discovered it. Well, I thought I would take it up with the lottery commision if I win but it was a losing ticket so promblem solved.

Recently, I got a winning ticket, I went to cash it but tip of the bar code was cut of. The clerk tried to scan it but couldn't and game it back to me as not good. I tried it at another store later, the same thing but this time the clerk didn't hesitate and she typed in some numbers the machine said winner and she paid me.

The series of numbers might indicate store number but I have never identified them.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: July 3, 2011, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

Wow! I never thought of it that way RJOh. I guess I will go ahead and send a report. Thanks to the both of you for answering my post.

And in addition to that: if you did win a jackpot, the first things they asked me on the phone is - where you bought it? - when you bought it? - was it a quickpick or not? - how many other games are on the ticket? - did you fill out a slip with the numbers on it or did you verbally tell the clerk which numbers to select?

If you fail on any of those, you don't get far, AND they investigate the heck out of you.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2011, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

And in addition to that: if you did win a jackpot, the first things they asked me on the phone is - where you bought it? - when you bought it? - was it a quickpick or not? - how many other games are on the ticket? - did you fill out a slip with the numbers on it or did you verbally tell the clerk which numbers to select?

If you fail on any of those, you don't get far, AND they investigate the heck out of you.

These games have so many tracking/confirmation codes built in, it's almost comical reading about people busted trying to claim with a fake/altered ticket. e.g. http://www.lotterypost.com/news/227627

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3475 Posts
              Posted: July 7, 2011, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps, but since she has the ticket and it is a bearer instrument, if she were to sign it and win then I think it would all go to her.

Then again, these days you never know with everyone being all sue happy (and winning).

Hopefully the lottery commission will help you on that one. good luck

A bearer instrument is presumed to be owned by the person in possession, but that's not the same as actually being owned by the person in possession. In RJ's scenario the clerk would  know where and when the ticket was bought, and any other transactions that happened at the same time. The clerk might have a photo of several tickets that the lottery could link together, and might have a credit card transaction at the same time and location. That would all add up to very credible evidence that the clerk is the real owner. The person who got the ticket from the clerk might be able to get security video that shows the clerk handing over 3 tickets, and the person presenting the ticket having other tickets sold by the clerk that would be claiming ownership would certainly make investigators look closely. I'd say that RJ's idea sounds like a paranoid delusion, but it would certainly be possible.

FWIW, NY lottery tickets have a number that definitely identifies the seller, but I'm not sure if it applies only to the retailer or to a specific terminal. The OP says the ticket was "generated from a different machine." I'm also curious how an infrequent player reaches that conclusion, but it's possible that the ticket came from a different terminal at the same location.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19831 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2011, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

A bearer instrument is presumed to be owned by the person in possession, but that's not the same as actually being owned by the person in possession. In RJ's scenario the clerk would  know where and when the ticket was bought, and any other transactions that happened at the same time. The clerk might have a photo of several tickets that the lottery could link together, and might have a credit card transaction at the same time and location. That would all add up to very credible evidence that the clerk is the real owner. The person who got the ticket from the clerk might be able to get security video that shows the clerk handing over 3 tickets, and the person presenting the ticket having other tickets sold by the clerk that would be claiming ownership would certainly make investigators look closely. I'd say that RJ's idea sounds like a paranoid delusion, but it would certainly be possible.

FWIW, NY lottery tickets have a number that definitely identifies the seller, but I'm not sure if it applies only to the retailer or to a specific terminal. The OP says the ticket was "generated from a different machine." I'm also curious how an infrequent player reaches that conclusion, but it's possible that the ticket came from a different terminal at the same location.

I'd say that RJ's idea sounds like a paranoid delusion, but it would certainly be possible.

Remember the recent LP news story about the $33M lottery winner in Canada having to go to court in spite of turning in a signed winning ticket because another player claimed he bought lottery tickets all over town and  implied the winner was in cahoot with a clerk who actually stole the ticket from him.  He didn't show up for court but had he ran such a scam, he could have made it even more difficult for the winner.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Mamma28z's avatar - phone
                  Lower MI
                  United States
                  Member #94546
                  July 22, 2010
                  247 Posts
                  Posted: July 7, 2011, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

Hi all,

Last night, I decided to play a lottery on a whim. I don't play very often. I asked the clerk in Speedway if there which lottery game was up for the night. I purchased 3 QuickPick PowerBall tickets.

He gave me 2 separate tickets. 1 with one QP and 1 with 2 QPs. This is not unusual because a few months ago, a different Speedway gave me my tickets the same way.

Anyway, today, I noticed that 1 of the tickets was printed nearly an hour earlier, and was generated from a different machine.

Is this normal? Should this be reported?

Thanks!

You were sold a ticket that was a mistake- it was already generated- the customer either changed their mind or didn't want that certain game - the clerk said thats ok I will sell it and they sold it to you..

You wanted three quick picks- you got three quick picks..

There is nothing to report - what are you going to report? You purchased three quick picks and you got three quick picks..

It is not normal but it does happen.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: July 8, 2011, 2:17 am - IP Logged

You were sold a ticket that was a mistake- it was already generated- the customer either changed their mind or didn't want that certain game - the clerk said thats ok I will sell it and they sold it to you..

You wanted three quick picks- you got three quick picks..

There is nothing to report - what are you going to report? You purchased three quick picks and you got three quick picks..

It is not normal but it does happen.

It may or may not be illegal to sell ticket A at location B.

That said, there are people that are superstitious - they will only buy tickets (printed) at a certain location, sometimes only on a certain day, and sometimes even in a certain timeframe.

I don't want to say I am superstitious, but I win NOTICEABLY MORE when I buy a ticket the day before the draw, from a certain store, on my way TO work. Any other time or store I don't win as much.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                      Dallas, TX
                      United States
                      Member #60284
                      April 12, 2008
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: July 8, 2011, 3:33 am - IP Logged

It could be a scam, however most likely it was purchased and someone didn't want it so the clerk still kept the ticket to sell it towards the next player who happens to play the same game, for the same amount. That's why one ticket has 2 QP and the other by itself. It should listed all 3 QP (up to 5 lines, some places has up to 10 lines) on one ticket. Just to be on the safe side, report it to the lottery commission.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                        ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                        United States
                        Member #4924
                        June 3, 2004
                        5912 Posts
                        Posted: July 8, 2011, 4:15 am - IP Logged

I buy my PB tickets in Publix, if I tell the clerk, QP and forget to say, PP, I still have to buy the ticket. The clerks are not allowed to take them back and they are not allowed to stock-pile for future sales. I think the lottery commission would frown on a clerk buying tickets in one store and selling them in another.

Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #78052
                          August 6, 2009
                          785 Posts
                          Posted: July 8, 2011, 6:19 am - IP Logged

Win with leftovers, as long as its not an expired ticket I'll buy it.  My clerk, Mike makes mistakes on my ticket order and I buy em willingly.  Also he has a bunch of tickkets that are on the window that are mistakes and I'll buy a few of them also.  Mike made a mistake on my order twice and it was a whopper of hits for me, loads of dough.

Think about it, those lottery tickets that are in the news that are about to be expired with a jackpot could be the mistakes of a clerk and then misplaced? 

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7322 Posts
                            Posted: July 8, 2011, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

I buy my PB tickets in Publix, if I tell the clerk, QP and forget to say, PP, I still have to buy the ticket. The clerks are not allowed to take them back and they are not allowed to stock-pile for future sales. I think the lottery commission would frown on a clerk buying tickets in one store and selling them in another.

In other states the terminals can cancel mistakes and probably why some clerks will hold the tickets and sell them to another player or cancel them before the drawing. The lotteries understand that clerks may make mistakes selling tickets, they can't force the player to buy the clerk's mistake and don't want to force the clerks and/or the stores to buy the tickets so they programed the cancel option into the terminals.

When I lived in Ohio, they couldn't cancel MM mistakes there were many arguments between players and clerks over who made the mistake.

Off duty clerks or players shouldn't be scalping their mistakes in other stores and I Agree! the lottery commission would frown upon doing it.

I'm assuming a player looked at the tickets after they left the store and went to another store to cancel them, the clerk knew they could sell them, didn't cancel them, and sold them to another player. What puzzles me is how a player that seldom buys tickets would know which code on the ticket represented the terminal where it was printed. 

Reporting it to the lottery depends on if it's against the lottery's policy to cancel or sell mistakes from other stores and doing it might be a waste of time. At the end of the day, the player got the three QPs they asked for but I suppose it does make a somewhat interesting lottery topic.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19831 Posts
                              Posted: July 8, 2011, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

In other states the terminals can cancel mistakes and probably why some clerks will hold the tickets and sell them to another player or cancel them before the drawing. The lotteries understand that clerks may make mistakes selling tickets, they can't force the player to buy the clerk's mistake and don't want to force the clerks and/or the stores to buy the tickets so they programed the cancel option into the terminals.

When I lived in Ohio, they couldn't cancel MM mistakes there were many arguments between players and clerks over who made the mistake.

Off duty clerks or players shouldn't be scalping their mistakes in other stores and I Agree! the lottery commission would frown upon doing it.

I'm assuming a player looked at the tickets after they left the store and went to another store to cancel them, the clerk knew they could sell them, didn't cancel them, and sold them to another player. What puzzles me is how a player that seldom buys tickets would know which code on the ticket represented the terminal where it was printed. 

Reporting it to the lottery depends on if it's against the lottery's policy to cancel or sell mistakes from other stores and doing it might be a waste of time. At the end of the day, the player got the three QPs they asked for but I suppose it does make a somewhat interesting lottery topic.

On the back of Ohio's PB and MM play slips is the following:

ALL TICKET SALES ARE FINAL AND POWERBALL/MEGAMILLIONS TICKETS CANNOT BE CANCELLED.

That is still the policy for non local games.  The best way to guarantee you get what you want is to make out a play slip and check it before having the clerk run it even if it for QPs.  I pick my numbers and always make out play slips so I would never accept any tickets that weren't printed in my presence.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking