Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Repeat... Best state to live in after Winning

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 5 years ago by sully16.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: July 7, 2011, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

I've gone and looked at that land in Wyoming.

Make sure you love flat grassland without a tree in sight for a hundred miles or so and not much to see or do anywhere around you.

Even if you go to the two biggest cities, Cheyenne (pop. 55,000) and Casper (pop. 51,000), there ain't much to see or do there either.

Otherwise it's great, almost no libs, low crime and the least taxes in the country.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: July 7, 2011, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

I've gone and looked at that land in Wyoming.

Make sure you love flat grassland without a tree in sight for a hundred miles or so and not much to see or do anywhere around you.

Even if you go to the two biggest cities, Cheyenne (pop. 55,000) and Casper (pop. 51,000), there ain't much to see or do there either.

Otherwise it's great, almost no libs, low crime and the least taxes in the country.

back in 83,van broke down in yellowstone and was towed back to cody(as in buffalo bill)a town we stayed in the night before, word gets around quickly in small towns. part to fix van not immed. avail. and had to spend 3 more days there, some of the nicest ppl. i've met in my whole life.motel gave us a discount,every bar we went to ppl. buying us drinks,asking where ya from,they made a hassle turn in to good time.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7318 Posts
      Posted: July 7, 2011, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering if a younger than 55 year old lottery winner would be considered a retiree. The zero state tax was on SS earnings and some of the states had limits on pension exemptions.

If they ask me where I'm planning on retiring to after winning a huge jackpot, my reply will be "anywhere I want".

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40566 Posts
        Posted: July 7, 2011, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

back in 83,van broke down in yellowstone and was towed back to cody(as in buffalo bill)a town we stayed in the night before, word gets around quickly in small towns. part to fix van not immed. avail. and had to spend 3 more days there, some of the nicest ppl. i've met in my whole life.motel gave us a discount,every bar we went to ppl. buying us drinks,asking where ya from,they made a hassle turn in to good time.

Do you like clog dancing?

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: July 7, 2011, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

Do you like clog dancing?

don't know what that is ! ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: July 8, 2011, 9:25 am - IP Logged

For me it would be  summers in the Pacific Nowth West...i.e. Seattle, Oregon, winters in South BeachSmile I would even go back to Alaska(summer), we were station in Anchorage and we loved it there.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
              Texas
              United States
              Member #92330
              June 5, 2010
              887 Posts
              Posted: July 9, 2011, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

I would disagree, particularly if we're talking about jackpot winners. While it may be good for retirees who don't have to lose money from pension, 401k payments, SS, etc., jackpot winners don't need to worry about that.

Having the millions you would have from a jackpot win is tons more than the average retiree would have so there isn't that much to worry in terms of taxes. Not only that, but if you're not investing then there's no taxes at all as you wouldn't really have any income (just that cash sitting somewhere). If you are investing then income taxes will matter, but I don't think it's a major factor on where you live. You'd still have millions in saving if you do need some quick cash for an emergency (or for a weekend in Paris, etc).

My top 5 states for if I ever win are Texas (too many good areas to name, though not Dallas/Fort-Worth, Houston or San Antonio), New York (City), California (Hollywood Hills or SF area), Nevada (not necessarily in LV, the mountains around it have nice homes) or Oregon (just overall a nice state, and I needed a fifth state, Utah also interests me). I honestly couldn't imagine myself living in any other state than those listed, and chances are that if I won the lottery I wouldn't go anywhere but those first three. I don't think many would put them as the best states for retirees, two of the most expensive states to live in, but they all have many things that I'd want to have access to that, if I had millions, I would want to enjoy. I couldn't imagine sitting on a jackpot win in a place like Wyoming (the whole state has a population of 560,000).

If the win is a smaller amount (around $5m after taxes) then I'd stay in my current city as it has access to many things, it's one of the best cities (according to at least Forbes and CNN Money) and for everything I can't get, there's traveling.

Sorry for the long post, was very bored today.

myzeus's avatar - Apollo
                Ohio
                United States
                Member #59677
                March 24, 2008
                78 Posts
                Posted: July 9, 2011, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

California doesn't charge state and local income taxes for lottery prize. You only need to pay Fed tax. So, CA is one of the best state to win a lottery.

Texas is the same too....with no city and state taxes just federal taxes...so Texas is a great state to go to also.

Sandy

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: July 9, 2011, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

I would disagree, particularly if we're talking about jackpot winners. While it may be good for retirees who don't have to lose money from pension, 401k payments, SS, etc., jackpot winners don't need to worry about that.

Having the millions you would have from a jackpot win is tons more than the average retiree would have so there isn't that much to worry in terms of taxes. Not only that, but if you're not investing then there's no taxes at all as you wouldn't really have any income (just that cash sitting somewhere). If you are investing then income taxes will matter, but I don't think it's a major factor on where you live. You'd still have millions in saving if you do need some quick cash for an emergency (or for a weekend in Paris, etc).

My top 5 states for if I ever win are Texas (too many good areas to name, though not Dallas/Fort-Worth, Houston or San Antonio), New York (City), California (Hollywood Hills or SF area), Nevada (not necessarily in LV, the mountains around it have nice homes) or Oregon (just overall a nice state, and I needed a fifth state, Utah also interests me). I honestly couldn't imagine myself living in any other state than those listed, and chances are that if I won the lottery I wouldn't go anywhere but those first three. I don't think many would put them as the best states for retirees, two of the most expensive states to live in, but they all have many things that I'd want to have access to that, if I had millions, I would want to enjoy. I couldn't imagine sitting on a jackpot win in a place like Wyoming (the whole state has a population of 560,000).

If the win is a smaller amount (around $5m after taxes) then I'd stay in my current city as it has access to many things, it's one of the best cities (according to at least Forbes and CNN Money) and for everything I can't get, there's traveling.

Sorry for the long post, was very bored today.

No offense ttech but I can't believe you've visited San Francisco if you're thinking about moving there.

I never saw so many bums, weirdos, perverts and scuzzy slimebag libs as I did in that place.

I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Alcatraz was cool though.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                    Member #47420
                    November 4, 2006
                    3930 Posts
                    Posted: July 9, 2011, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

No offense ttech but I can't believe you've visited San Francisco if you're thinking about moving there.

I never saw so many bums, weirdos, perverts and scuzzy slimebag libs as I did in that place.

I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Alcatraz was cool though.

How much time you do on Alcatraz old timer..You wasn't someones hunny bun in there was yah...Glad you made it out alive...

tiggs saw sully clog dance and she was good..Right out in the parking lot of a restaurant..Sweet!..

Pure luck

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                      Republic of Texas
                      United States
                      Member #57557
                      January 9, 2008
                      1095 Posts
                      Posted: July 10, 2011, 10:08 am - IP Logged

I was thinking Costa Rica as a good choice for retirement after I win the lottery. 

If I had to choose a state, then I'll stay in Texas. No income taxes on lottery winnings, or on lottery winnings earnings. Come to think of it, no income tax period. Good economy, low energy costs. All kinds of choices to live: on the beach, live in a big city, live in the rugged hill country, the highland lakes, the grassy plains, rolling farmland, high plains, mountains, or the scrubs in the south. Where else can you live in a place called Possum Kingdom Lake? 

It's a no brainer. Thumbs Up

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        49813 Posts
                        Posted: July 11, 2011, 7:29 am - IP Logged

This is for  retirees, but I think that it applies to lottery winners too.

http://finance.yahoo.com/retirement/article/113021/5-tax-friendly-states-retirees-kiplingers;_ylt=AoPfR422YkTU3z7xyoeY3Yi7YWsA;_ylu=X3oDMTFhNTZjbHNjBHBvcwMzBHNlYwNwZXJzb25hbEZpbmFuY2UEc2xrAzV0YXgtZnJpZW5kbA--

But I don't want to Live in Alaska! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          49813 Posts
                          Posted: July 11, 2011, 7:40 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't live in any one of those states!!!  When I win I plan on moving to Utah or Florida.

I Agree! If you Won a Huge Jackpot: It doesn't matter where You Live: As long as You're in a State of Bliss: Profound satisfaction, happiness and joy, a constant state of mind, undisturbed by worry.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                            McKinney/Texas
                            United States
                            Member #47363
                            November 1, 2006
                            706 Posts
                            Posted: July 11, 2011, 7:40 am - IP Logged

You go your way, I'll go MAUI!

Here Today, Gone To MAUI!

Happily MAUIed.

Don't Worry, Be MAUI!

MAUI Christmas.