Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Repeat... Best state to live in after Winning

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 5 years ago by sully16.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
ttech10's avatar - blobdude
Texas
United States
Member #92330
June 5, 2010
887 Posts
Posted: July 11, 2011, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

No offense ttech but I can't believe you've visited San Francisco if you're thinking about moving there.

I never saw so many bums, weirdos, perverts and scuzzy slimebag libs as I did in that place.

I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Alcatraz was cool though.

Ha, none taken.

It would definitely be the last of my choices of Texas, NYC and California and it would be more around San Jose than SF. The main reason I'd pick SF is for it's tech-connectedness, what with Apple and Google both being headquartered there. Also aside from those people it looks nice there with some good scenery, but really I haven't given SF much thought as to whether I would ever move there. Most likely not, but if I were to ever move to CA it would be the Hollywood Hills (or just the Santa Monica area, more realistically thinking) or the SF area.

But honestly if I did win the lottery there's a 80% chance I'll stay here in Texas (good open roads to just go and drive) and 19% chance I'd move to NYC with that low 1% chance I'd go to CA (I'd want a house in that nice warm location and while I'm not the biggest fan of CA I'm even less a fan of Florida... nothing against you memebers that live there, I just hear the humidity is terrible out that way and having dealt with Houston I don't want that). The thought of California only really comes in once the jackpot is really up there and I could picture owning a second house (granted a "cheaper" one) in CA.

It's all just fun daydreams though, if I actually ever do win I think most every plan I've dreamt up would be thrown out the window I'd have a serious sit down and plan things out.

Milwaukee, WI
    United States
    Member #3131
    December 27, 2003
    665 Posts
    Posted: July 12, 2011, 8:27 am - IP Logged

I've gone and looked at that land in Wyoming.

Make sure you love flat grassland without a tree in sight for a hundred miles or so and not much to see or do anywhere around you.

Even if you go to the two biggest cities, Cheyenne (pop. 55,000) and Casper (pop. 51,000), there ain't much to see or do there either.

Otherwise it's great, almost no libs, low crime and the least taxes in the country.

I found this nice piece of land.

http://www.eranches.com/bear-lodge-retreat.htm

Yes, no super entertainment. But if you need a grocery store it's 2 miles away. Anything really necessary is there. Or More stuff in Spearfish or Rapid City or Gillette.

2 miles from town yet very remote. Big enough piece of land where you could be off the road and out of sight of prying eyes. Nobody knocking at your door. I like remote but to a point. Seems like the best of both worlds. Black hills 40 miles away.

Next to nothing in taxes.

But I could create my own planet. I would set up a survival house there. Would build it only on the grid to dump my unneeded power. Otherwise I would grow most of my own food, create and store my own energy. Collect and store my water. Have a nice safe with a few million in gold.  Store up a few years of supplies. Get that new Tesla S electric car that is coming out next year so I can create my own power for the car. Be totally prepared for the Apocalypse. Live in comfort and reasonable luxury, yet be able to survive if the wort happens.

Like I said, closest thing to having my own planet.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2657 Posts
      Posted: July 12, 2011, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

Yes, no super entertainment. But if you need a grocery store it's 2 miles away. Anything really necessary is there. Or More stuff in Spearfish or Rapid City or Gillette.

2 miles from town yet very remote. Big enough piece of land where you could be off the road and out of sight of prying eyes. Nobody knocking at your door. I like remote but to a point. Seems like the best of both worlds. Black hills 40 miles away.

But I could create my own planet. I would set up a survival house there. Would build it only on the grid to dump my unneeded power. Otherwise I would grow most of my own food, create and store my own energy. Collect and store my water. Have a nice safe with a few million in gold.  Store up a few years of supplies. Get that new Tesla S electric car that is coming out next year so I can create my own power for the car. Be totally prepared for the Apocalypse. Live in comfort and reasonable luxury, yet be able to survive if the wort happens.

Lurking

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: July 12, 2011, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

Looks really nice, Mark.

Hope you're able to do it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5114 Posts
          Posted: July 12, 2011, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering if a younger than 55 year old lottery winner would be considered a retiree. The zero state tax was on SS earnings and some of the states had limits on pension exemptions.

If they ask me where I'm planning on retiring to after winning a huge jackpot, my reply will be "anywhere I want".

congrats>>>>>>>>>Stack47:

Psyko hope$$$$$$$$$$$$$>>>>>>UUUUUUUwin D jackpot BEFORE

55>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>No Pity!LeavingNo Pity!LeavingNo Pity!Poke

if not<<<<< apply 4 O'BAMA CARE USA!

THEY WILL PICK UR STATE 4 U Party

can't beat that w/stick DrumBananaDrumDrumBananaDrumWhite Bounce

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
            rekjavik
            Iceland
            Member #99537
            October 27, 2010
            177 Posts
            Posted: July 15, 2011, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

This is from 2008... but I can dream right????

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-07-13-cityforsale_N.htm

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2657 Posts
              Posted: July 15, 2011, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

This is from 2008... but I can dream right????

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-07-13-cityforsale_N.htm

Green laugh@ Mr Putzen-Smith

thar be plenty of interesting ghost towns out thar if one had the itch and or nerve

http://www.ghosttowns.com

http://www.americanghosttowns.us

Twitch

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: July 15, 2011, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Two Guns AZ.

I always wanted to buy this place. I have been out there many times and explored every part of it, even walked down the canyon for quite a ways (it's loaded with diamondbacks and scorpions). The cave there that the Apaches hid in from the Navajos after they stole their horses goes in for seven miles I was told and the entrance is in the canyon. I didn't walk far enough to reach it though.

I just looked it up again now and it was just sold to Russel Crowe. He's going to make a movie there called Two Guns, a remake of West World, where all the gunslingers are robots. I saw West World years ago, good movie.

But apparently I won't be going to buy Two Guns anymore.

http://twogunsarizona.com/about/

--Edmund Burke

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3850 Posts
                  Posted: July 15, 2011, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Two Guns AZ.

I always wanted to buy this place. I have been out there many times and explored every part of it, even walked down the canyon for quite a ways (it's loaded with diamondbacks and scorpions). The cave there that the Apaches hid in from the Navajos after they stole their horses goes in for seven miles I was told and the entrance is in the canyon. I didn't walk far enough to reach it though.

I just looked it up again now and it was just sold to Russel Crowe. He's going to make a movie there called Two Guns, a remake of West World, where all the gunslingers are robots. I saw West World years ago, good movie.

been to many of these towns,specially the nevada and so cali.ones did't know of two guns,but just the names of these towns make me want to see them. some in NV. are so remote the closest you can get is,like 10 mi from the h/way.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: July 15, 2011, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

been to many of these towns,specially the nevada and so cali.ones did't know of two guns,but just the names of these towns make me want to see them. some in NV. are so remote the closest you can get is,like 10 mi from the h/way.

Yeah, I went to just about every ghost town site in AZ.

The problem is that with 99% of em there's nothing much to see there but foundations. Back in those days when a town died, people would dismantle everything and take the lumber to build new houses somewhere else. The ones that did survive intact, most of em were destroyed by vandals and arsonists.

--Edmund Burke

Milwaukee, WI
                      United States
                      Member #3131
                      December 27, 2003
                      665 Posts
                      Posted: July 16, 2011, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

Looks really nice, Mark.

Hope you're able to do it.

Not on my $2 winnings tonight!  :-(

United States
                        Member #52345
                        May 21, 2007
                        2657 Posts
                        Posted: July 17, 2011, 7:01 am - IP Logged

Not on my $2 winnings tonight!  :-(

Twitch better then a poke in the eye

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40293 Posts
                          Posted: July 17, 2011, 7:14 am - IP Logged

Two Guns AZ.

Russel will defeat the robots by throwing telephones at them.LOL

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"