Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Rants Post

Topic closed. 57 replies. Last post 5 years ago by tiggs95.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Wooddrive's avatar - Lottery-046.jpg
Delco PA
United States
Member #80104
September 16, 2009
194 Posts
Posted: July 16, 2011, 8:40 am - IP Logged

ok, I just need to vent a little. I understand lotteries are there to make a profit (business). 

Lately, here in PA, they have been promoting the SURPRIZE second draw really hard  and of course I've been playing a little heavier in anticipation ( my mistake). ok, I get it, make a profit from all the hopefuls (no second draw so far), but come on at least give us a draw with some decent or normal numbers ( very strange pick3, look at the payouts, very low). they're making a killing on both fronts.

Instant scratchers, one word BLOWS, BLOWS,BLOWS,  ooops 3 words. I'm not wasting my $20 and $10 on losers. PA lottery needs to have a game that has many thousands of $500 jackpots instead of four $1m prizes. Spread the wealth with better odds. 

Millionaire Raffle, zilch. 

Good Luck All

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: July 16, 2011, 9:03 am - IP Logged

I like your idea about thousands of $500 winners instead of four $1 million prizes but I think we're in the minority. 

I think most people like going for the big prizes.

And they gotta go with what will sell the best.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49642 Posts
      Posted: July 16, 2011, 9:46 am - IP Logged

ok, I just need to vent a little. I understand lotteries are there to make a profit (business). 

Lately, here in PA, they have been promoting the SURPRIZE second draw really hard  and of course I've been playing a little heavier in anticipation ( my mistake). ok, I get it, make a profit from all the hopefuls (no second draw so far), but come on at least give us a draw with some decent or normal numbers ( very strange pick3, look at the payouts, very low). they're making a killing on both fronts.

Instant scratchers, one word BLOWS, BLOWS,BLOWS,  ooops 3 words. I'm not wasting my $20 and $10 on losers. PA lottery needs to have a game that has many thousands of $500 jackpots instead of four $1m prizes. Spread the wealth with better odds. 

Good Luck All

If one can stop desiring, if one can take life as it comes, Then and only then can one be free of unhappiness.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49642 Posts
        Posted: July 16, 2011, 9:51 am - IP Logged

I like your idea about thousands of $500 winners instead of four $1 million prizes but I think we're in the minority. 

I think most people like going for the big prizes.

And they gotta go with what will sell the best.

Don't Sell the Bacon: Sell the Sizzle of the Frying Bacon! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: July 16, 2011, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Don't Sell the Bacon: Sell the Sizzle of the Frying Bacon! Thud

Roger that.

--Edmund Burke

Delco PA
            United States
            Member #80104
            September 16, 2009
            194 Posts
            Posted: July 16, 2011, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

If one can stop desiring, if one can take life as it comes, Then and only then can one be free of unhappiness.

I'm happy, seeBig Smile.    I'm also pissed at the numbers not because I'm not getting a hit. Frustrated at the weird set of numbers popping up. 

Oh by the way, i don't need Kant, Decartes or Plato in my lottery life. Its just NUMBERS. GLA

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19817 Posts
              Posted: July 16, 2011, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

I'm happy, seeBig Smile.    I'm also pissed at the numbers not because I'm not getting a hit. Frustrated at the weird set of numbers popping up. 

Oh by the way, i don't need Kant, Decartes or Plato in my lottery life. Its just NUMBERS. GLA

How do you define "weird set of numbers"?  Any set of numbers you don't play?  Don't feel bad, only about 2% of players play "weird sets of numbers" that win.Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2011, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

I'd put my money on it being the Dalai Lama.

--Edmund Burke

Delco PA
                  United States
                  Member #80104
                  September 16, 2009
                  194 Posts
                  Posted: July 16, 2011, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

How do you define "weird set of numbers"?  Any set of numbers you don't play?  Don't feel bad, only about 2% of players play "weird sets of numbers" that win.Wink

weird= unusual, not common. i only play maybe 3 set of numbers per draw so i have way less than 2% of a hit. i dont expect to hit very often but seeing that repeats in day and night with all even or odd numbers just seem a little funky. Coincidence that the pa lottery is promoting a Surprise second draw ANYTIME now and also the very very low payouts. hmm makes me wonder. maybe all the stars are lined up for pa lottery to profit. maybe they will fix the budget with it,    NOT.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4523 Posts
                    Posted: July 16, 2011, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

I had just mentioned this last night about this supposed promo. Oddly it will most likely happen today or tomorrow.

When I checked the website it makes NO Date certain time frame for when it can happen so we have between now and eternity based on this evasive promo.

I dont get the statement "weird" numbers, the 280 came out twice and the 377 came out twice, how is that weird? ITs called a repeat, As for the scratch off games, yup gotta agree, they are raking in the cash on these. If you notice from the PA raffle done, the areas that were drawn are hard hit economically so it makes sense they gave those areas the winners. If you think the dispersement of money isnt geared by the how to improve the areas then you shouldnt play. If I ever buy a ticket in a place like  Philly, come the end of the year my town doesnt get that "bonus county cash", it goes to Philly to benefit the elders there! . So I am careful where I play.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                      Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #103813
                      January 5, 2011
                      1530 Posts
                      Posted: July 16, 2011, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Good Luck All

We have a Scratcher game here in CA that has thousands of $500 prizes like you want:

http://www.calottery.com/Games/Scratchers/2ScratcherGallery/CA688-Hot500.htm

I got me one! And yes, it is a tiny bit of satisfaction even though the lottery will still get you in the long run unless you hit a jackpot.

Just be realistic about the odds facing you. Look at any lotto game for the odds on the top prize, and figure that is how much you might have to spend until you get a jackpot, maybe twice that much or more! Your only hope is getting a win early in your playing cycle, well before the odds, since we only have a limited amount of money to play and a finite lifespan. Just play what you feel comfortable with losing, hope for the best, and take the small wins along the way as a bonus.

I agree pick 3 is frustrating, you have to like that game to play it over and over, I don't. And then what will that get you over time? 0.5% hits and 50% return...meh. Scratchers are better IMHO, but only slightly so, and they have big top prizes, not just $500.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40299 Posts
                        Posted: July 16, 2011, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

Good Luck All

Sometimes a rant is good thing, I hope you win.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Jack-C's avatar - us
                          San Diego, CA
                          United States
                          Member #61467
                          May 24, 2008
                          28146 Posts
                          Posted: July 16, 2011, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

We have a Scratcher game here in CA that has thousands of $500 prizes like you want:

http://www.calottery.com/Games/Scratchers/2ScratcherGallery/CA688-Hot500.htm

I got me one! And yes, it is a tiny bit of satisfaction even though the lottery will still get you in the long run unless you hit a jackpot.

Just be realistic about the odds facing you. Look at any lotto game for the odds on the top prize, and figure that is how much you might have to spend until you get a jackpot, maybe twice that much or more! Your only hope is getting a win early in your playing cycle, well before the odds, since we only have a limited amount of money to play and a finite lifespan. Just play what you feel comfortable with losing, hope for the best, and take the small wins along the way as a bonus.

I agree pick 3 is frustrating, you have to like that game to play it over and over, I don't. And then what will that get you over time? 0.5% hits and 50% return...meh. Scratchers are better IMHO, but only slightly so, and they have big top prizes, not just $500.

The odds of winning the $500 is 1,622:1.  Please explain how that is better than Pick 3 straight at 1,000:1.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                            Los Angeles, California
                            United States
                            Member #103813
                            January 5, 2011
                            1530 Posts
                            Posted: July 16, 2011, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

The odds of winning the $500 is 1,622:1.  Please explain how that is better than Pick 3 straight at 1,000:1.

Simple: overall odds.

With scratchers, you have many more intermediate and smaller amounts to win besides the top prize. Overall odds are typically 1:4, and your percent return over time is around 60% or more.

With Daily 3, you only win straight or box, with the best odds 1:167, and your percent return over time is only around 50%.

So with scratchers, on your way to maybe hitting a top prize of $100,000 or $2,000,000, you are bleeding less cash. With Daily 3, you maybe get a $400-$600 pari-mutuel straight once every several hundred picks or so, along with some $40-$100 boxes.

It is a fact that scratchers have some of the best odds of any lotto game, and are the biggest game in revenue by far for the lotto, and they happen to have the least house edge. But some people don't like them because they can be addictive.

Did not mean to ruffle your feathers about pick 3. I play it sometimes, as I play all other lotto games as well. But I prefer Scratchers. To each his own.

Delco PA
                              United States
                              Member #80104
                              September 16, 2009
                              194 Posts
                              Posted: July 16, 2011, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

LMFAO  i'm shuffling. PA lottery 123 night. See, all this ranting helps.   No, i didnt win but a crapload of people won. YAY! that is what i'm talking about, spread some wealth around. Stop giving us "weird " numbers that payout 60 thousand and give us "familiar" numbers that payout 1.8million. Hyper  Congrats to all the 16065 winners. GLA