Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

winner keeping low profile

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
ttech10's avatar - blobdude
Texas
United States
Member #92330
June 5, 2010
887 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2011, 11:01 am - IP Logged

if you win a JP and no one you know realizes it's you, freinds neighbors etc. how will you keep it secret ? if i were to quit my job tommorow,my neighbors would't catch on but it would raise some eyebrows at work.

Well, you have a few options:

1) Quit work right after winning and deal with your ex-coworkers and their suspicions that you won the lottery.

2) Keep working for a few months and then quit, keeping down the suspicion.

3) Keep working but slack off a bit to where it's not completely noticeable to any coworkers but IS noticeable to your boss. If you get fired you don't have to worry about explaining why you left.

4) Move to another city. Either right after you win or a bit longer (a few months). You can explain the leaving by getting a new job somewhere, though that excuse mainly works if you're a good asset to whatever type of business you're in. You can also just decide to leave with no explanation, since who cares if they're suspicious when you're hundreds/thousands of miles away?

Personally I plan on staying the same for a few months after I win. I'd probably get a new TV which could be explained as "Best Buy had a good deal with their credit card" and no questions would be asked by my roommates, especially since I've been looking at new TVs because our old one is starting to act up (though I would definitely be getting a larger one that what I'm looking at now). That's the biggest purchase I'd make until March/April of next year. I'd probably get other smaller items like new gadgets, but I wouldn't be too worried about things like those giving away that I'm a millionaire. I'd eventually move to a reasonable home here that nobody would be too surprised with. The only thing that would put a high profile on me is the car I'd get, which isn't anything crazy like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, but it would be a new M5 or M3.

Of course I may also take the route of moving to another city, which would be NYC and not that big of a surprise. I have a friend there now and friends know I've wanted to move there in the future so it wouldn't be much of a giveaway... at least until if they ever wanted to visit, haha. I enjoy the city and have looked at places online so have ideas of where I'd want to move, so basically if I went that route I'd take a few days long trip to view the places in person and then purchase, but I would try to delay completely moving in until January/February. I'd use excuses like "visiting home" and such to explain abscences from our house here for when I take ~1 week long trips to the place there in NYC so that it wouldn't be useless already owning a place there plus use the time to search for and buy furniture.

I've thought about those from random daydreams during the day. I think they'd each work keeping a decently low profile. The first one uses option #2 where I'd keep almost everything the same but then make some big decisions a few months (about 8 if I won this month) so by that time if I quit work people may not be thinking of the lottery winner anymore. The second one obviously uses the 4th decision and it also keeps suspicion down, so when I did come back to town and hang out with old pals I really don't think they'd be suspicious of me winning, even after moving to a place like NYC.

Sorry for the long writeout... boring Friday morning. Trying to kill some time before it's time to clean the car.

NASHVILLE, TENN
    United States
    Member #33372
    February 20, 2006
    1044 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2011, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

if you win a JP and no one you know realizes it's you, freinds neighbors etc. how will you keep it secret ? if i were to quit my job tommorow,my neighbors would't catch on but it would raise some eyebrows at work.

Don't worry about the people at work.  You will be forgotten five minutes after you leave the building.

Worry about your neighbors.  Once they find out you have money (and they will find out), well, let us just say you will be moving to a new city and a new state.  If you try to stay in the same house/apartment/condo/bridge overpass you will be hounded to death and even threatened until you "pay off".

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2011, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

Don't worry about the people at work.  You will be forgotten five minutes after you leave the building.

Worry about your neighbors.  Once they find out you have money (and they will find out), well, let us just say you will be moving to a new city and a new state.  If you try to stay in the same house/apartment/condo/bridge overpass you will be hounded to death and even threatened until you "pay off".

Best to have a mountain ridge or two between your own self and any neighbors.

Make sure you own them ridges and let the dogs run em.

Then post signs sayin anybody caught commencin into the holler is subject to gettin they dadgum heads blowed off.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
        Member #111186
        May 20, 2011
        344 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2011, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Then post signs sayin anybody caught commencin into the holler is subject to gettin they dadgum heads blowed off.

LOL  Ridge, you help make LP one of the best websites I visit each day! Thanks  Smiley

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
          Gurnee, Illinois
          United States
          Member #49731
          February 12, 2007
          917 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2011, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Who cares what co-workers think...besides, people leave jobs for all types of reasons anyway.  If anyone asked, I would just say I am moving on to bigger and better opportunities.  I would put house on market and move...new house, new neighborhood, new life.  No one to question why you are now driving that brand-spanking new Bentley or Masarati when you used to drive a Honda.  But if you do like some try to do and stay in old neighborhood, good luck with buying that Masarati or Bentley, that is, unless you could already afford to drive such a car before winning the jackpot (I haven't heard of too many people who fit into that category).

Bottom line: I just don't give a care what other people think.  People stress themselves out, limit their potential, and kill themselves too often over "what other people think".  Not me...I just don't give a care what other people think.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2011, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

LOL  Ridge, you help make LP one of the best websites I visit each day! Thanks  Smiley

Well, thank ya, lil darlin, much obliged.

--Edmund Burke

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #94283
              July 17, 2010
              2284 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2011, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Like others have said, just tell the boss and co-workers that you're needing a new challenge.  Maybe tell them you're going to another state to open a new business or something.  If they press to know what business, tell them you're still researching opportunities.

My house is old and falling down, and there's no way I would stay here anyway so the neighbors really don't matter.  Just sell the house and move.  My city is big enough I probably wouldn't run into any old neighbors or coworkers, but if I lived in a smaller town I'd just relocate to a different town or even state.

I can definitely see it working out to where no one would ever know I won the lottery.  Now, new people in my life would know I had a little $$$, but they'd never know I won the lottery.   If they asked, I'd tell them my broker made some good investments, or that I saved every penny since I started work at 14, or something like that.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49699 Posts
                Posted: July 22, 2011, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Worry About It: If and When You Win! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3854 Posts
                  Posted: July 22, 2011, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Worry About It: If and When You Win! Thud

Raven, not worried, just practicing the boy scout motto "be prepared"

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                    Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    40394 Posts
                    Posted: July 22, 2011, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

Amen, you might get passed the dogs, but you won't get passed the owner.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2011, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Amen, you might get passed the dogs, but you won't get passed the owner.

Dadgum straight! Thumbs Up

--Edmund Burke

United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3854 Posts
                        Posted: July 22, 2011, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

that would definitly require moveing,this is the flatlands,funny thing tho there's a street called ridge ave.LOL a mile from me its abt. 1ft higher in elev. than my street, my street's the only hill in the area and the grade is less than 1%.so i guess i just have to have my buddy, mossberg at the reddy.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: July 22, 2011, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

that would definitly require moveing,this is the flatlands,funny thing tho there's a street called ridge ave.LOL a mile from me its abt. 1ft higher in elev. than my street, my street's the only hill in the area and the grade is less than 1%.so i guess i just have to have my buddy, mossberg at the reddy.

Dadgum straight! Thumbs Up

--Edmund Burke

United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3854 Posts
                            Posted: July 22, 2011, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

That's one beer I'll probably never have cuz I'd be afraid to ask for it, LOL.

that reminded me of a drink they had back in the 70s called a "sloe comfortable screw"i think the ingredients were oj & vodka,sloe gin& southern comfort. i never drank one,but it was fun to hear a honey order one from the bartender,now if there had been more honeys workin behind the bar,who knows it may have become my fav.

United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3854 Posts
                              Posted: July 22, 2011, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

Well, you have a few options:

1) Quit work right after winning and deal with your ex-coworkers and their suspicions that you won the lottery.

2) Keep working for a few months and then quit, keeping down the suspicion.

3) Keep working but slack off a bit to where it's not completely noticeable to any coworkers but IS noticeable to your boss. If you get fired you don't have to worry about explaining why you left.

4) Move to another city. Either right after you win or a bit longer (a few months). You can explain the leaving by getting a new job somewhere, though that excuse mainly works if you're a good asset to whatever type of business you're in. You can also just decide to leave with no explanation, since who cares if they're suspicious when you're hundreds/thousands of miles away?

Personally I plan on staying the same for a few months after I win. I'd probably get a new TV which could be explained as "Best Buy had a good deal with their credit card" and no questions would be asked by my roommates, especially since I've been looking at new TVs because our old one is starting to act up (though I would definitely be getting a larger one that what I'm looking at now). That's the biggest purchase I'd make until March/April of next year. I'd probably get other smaller items like new gadgets, but I wouldn't be too worried about things like those giving away that I'm a millionaire. I'd eventually move to a reasonable home here that nobody would be too surprised with. The only thing that would put a high profile on me is the car I'd get, which isn't anything crazy like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, but it would be a new M5 or M3.

Of course I may also take the route of moving to another city, which would be NYC and not that big of a surprise. I have a friend there now and friends know I've wanted to move there in the future so it wouldn't be much of a giveaway... at least until if they ever wanted to visit, haha. I enjoy the city and have looked at places online so have ideas of where I'd want to move, so basically if I went that route I'd take a few days long trip to view the places in person and then purchase, but I would try to delay completely moving in until January/February. I'd use excuses like "visiting home" and such to explain abscences from our house here for when I take ~1 week long trips to the place there in NYC so that it wouldn't be useless already owning a place there plus use the time to search for and buy furniture.

I've thought about those from random daydreams during the day. I think they'd each work keeping a decently low profile. The first one uses option #2 where I'd keep almost everything the same but then make some big decisions a few months (about 8 if I won this month) so by that time if I quit work people may not be thinking of the lottery winner anymore. The second one obviously uses the 4th decision and it also keeps suspicion down, so when I did come back to town and hang out with old pals I really don't think they'd be suspicious of me winning, even after moving to a place like NYC.

Sorry for the long writeout... boring Friday morning. Trying to kill some time before it's time to clean the car.

ttech10,no doubt that takeing things slowly is a good idea,all your ideas are good but #s2,3,4 take time #1 is the one i'm most interested in.