Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do large lottery winners

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 5 years ago by tiggs95.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NH
United States
Member #83352
December 5, 2009
223 Posts
Posted: July 24, 2011, 2:39 am - IP Logged

Why do large lottery winners(5mill+) still do business with regular first class mail? Why not do what Kramar on Seinfeld did and renounce the mail. If something comes certified then fine, you go and get your mail. But why bother having a box out front where anyone and everyone can put anything into it. Just denounce first class mail and be done with all the hounds.

Where am I wrong?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10345 Posts
    Posted: July 24, 2011, 2:47 am - IP Logged

On one of the lottery programs on TLC a jackpot winner said he was getting bags of mail everyday addressed to

Lottery Jackpot Winner

Florida

and asked the post office of they couldn't leave him alone. He said they aid if they knew who he was and where he was they had to deliver it, he didn't have to read it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NH
      United States
      Member #83352
      December 5, 2009
      223 Posts
      Posted: July 24, 2011, 2:58 am - IP Logged

On one of the lottery programs on TLC a jackpot winner said he was getting bags of mail everyday addressed to

Lottery Jackpot Winner

Florida

and asked the post office of they couldn't leave him alone. He said they aid if they knew who he was and where he was they had to deliver it, he didn't have to read it.

Whats interesting is that mail boxes are federal property. Which means if your a home owner, you don't actually own your "own" mail box. So if mail just kept piling up, you really don't have to get it and the carrier would have to take care of it. Sure they could drop it on your step, but in reality, you don't have to accept it. I know UPS and the cops go through a certain cat and mouse game when drugs are being delivered to a house. If you don't accept a package, they can't say that its yours.

NH
        United States
        Member #83352
        December 5, 2009
        223 Posts
        Posted: July 24, 2011, 3:02 am - IP Logged

I always thought it was strange that a jury duty letter didn't come certified mail but regular mail. Imagine what would happen to the justice system if no one showed up to jury duty because they all said they never recieved their mail? One would think that would be something that should come certified know?

NH
          United States
          Member #83352
          December 5, 2009
          223 Posts
          Posted: July 24, 2011, 3:07 am - IP Logged

Reason for this post is because some lottery winners have said they recieved 5000 letters in a week or month or some sh$t. I'm saying why go through the mind fukc of opening even one of those silly letters. Just denounce all of it and be done with it. Even tell the post office that you will only deal with certified mail. Tell them to take the mail box away from your yard. And if they wont, weld it shut and claim "<snip> kids". lol

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: July 24, 2011, 4:49 am - IP Logged

I always thought it was strange that a jury duty letter didn't come certified mail but regular mail. Imagine what would happen to the justice system if no one showed up to jury duty because they all said they never recieved their mail? One would think that would be something that should come certified know?

Nice try, but a letter from a gov't agency is presumed received ... upon mailling it.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              40296 Posts
              Posted: July 24, 2011, 6:35 am - IP Logged

This is a job for Tiggs.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: July 24, 2011, 8:33 am - IP Logged

Win millions and millions MOVE.."Move left no address"..Start a new life else where..

Pure luck

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40296 Posts
                  Posted: July 24, 2011, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Win millions and millions MOVE.."Move left no address"..Start a new life else where..

This...

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

mt zion illinois
                    United States
                    Member #110549
                    May 6, 2011
                    351 Posts
                    Posted: July 24, 2011, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Thats what I would do is move... If I won millions

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: July 24, 2011, 10:44 am - IP Logged

I got no problem.

Most of my mail gets delivered to other people.

And luckily, the mail that's put in my mail box belongs to people who don't get much mail.

So, once a week I take all the other people's mail I get to the post office and hand it to the guy at the counter and he says "yeah, that happens" and then I wait to see if anybody returns my mail. And they charge for this "service." The US Postal "Service".

Don't get me wrong, I know it must be a monumental and thankless task to put an envelope with a number on it into a box with the same number.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                        Dallas, TX
                        United States
                        Member #60284
                        April 12, 2008
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: July 24, 2011, 11:02 am - IP Logged

I always sent mail certified. Tired of hearing excuse of not receiving it and wasting time resending. To big time lottery winners they should pack up and move, change names, numbers, change the pet name and it will be alright. Live low key while still enjoying the cash that's given by lottery gods. If one were to follow the media idea of luxury being flashy then they'll be asking for trouble. They don't come knocking, they'll be banging the door down!

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: July 24, 2011, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Why do large lottery winners(5mill+) still do business with regular first class mail? Why not do what Kramar on Seinfeld did and renounce the mail. If something comes certified then fine, you go and get your mail. But why bother having a box out front where anyone and everyone can put anything into it. Just denounce first class mail and be done with all the hounds.

Where am I wrong?

I think this is the first someone has actually wanted to follow in Kramar's footsteps, haha.

Really I wouldn't be too worried about getting letters in the mail from people, the worry would be that people know my address which means the PEOPLE would be there. Letters I can just throw away and aren't much of a problem.

If I ever win I hope the mix of going unlisted with the home address and having claimed through a trust with that being setup with a PO Box will help lessen the amount of people know my home address. I would still expect to get some letters to the PO Box but I can just pick those up and throw them out very easily. Everyone important I have to contact now go through phone or email so things would continue that way so I would just hire a paper shredding company to shred everything for me. If any important documents need to be mailed to me those people sending them will just send them via FedEx.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                            Member #47420
                            November 4, 2006
                            3930 Posts
                            Posted: July 24, 2011, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

I got no problem.

Most of my mail gets delivered to other people.

And luckily, the mail that's put in my mail box belongs to people who don't get much mail.

So, once a week I take all the other people's mail I get to the post office and hand it to the guy at the counter and he says "yeah, that happens" and then I wait to see if anybody returns my mail. And they charge for this "service." The US Postal "Service".

Don't get me wrong, I know it must be a monumental and thankless task to put an envelope with a number on it into a box with the same number.

Boo Hoo!!..Mailmen in Tenn don't know how to read numbers..Next!!..Move to a state where people are educated..Next!!..Have a drink and shut up..

Pure luck

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              22860 Posts
                              Posted: July 24, 2011, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

This is a job for Tiggs.

You're right sully!

tiggs =

in this department.