Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Accepting Jackpot money for ONLY those who think money WON'T make them happy

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 5 years ago by jrosina.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you believe money won't bring you happiness, would you still accept the money?

YES [ 33 ]  [97.06%]
NO [ 1 ]  [2.94%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  

United States
Member #75358
June 1, 2009
5345 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2011, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

Ok, here's the question, and be honest. This  question is ONLY for people who don't think money will make them happy. All others please don't choose.

If you believe that there's a possibility that a lot money won't make you happy, would you deny the money given to you?

Of course If you're playing the lottery, you're gonna accept the money, but let's say someone wants to hand you 20 million dollars free and clear, would you tell them that you don't want to take it because it may make you unhappy?

It's a yes or no answer.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: August 17, 2011, 12:04 am - IP Logged

If I thought it would make me unhappy I'd take it anyway and give it away. Only a madman would turn it down. And I don't know anybody that crazy.

Besides that, wimmins love money. Though I've known many who prefer a good, hard, azz-slappin', hair pullin' good time, and even married a few of that bent, they all eventually develop a yearning for money too at some point. And houses.

You ain't gonna find nobody turnin' it down.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
      Member #88435
      March 16, 2010
      397 Posts
      Posted: August 17, 2011, 1:07 am - IP Logged

I would rather be unhappy with money than unhappy without it.  LOL

$1,000,000

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40469 Posts
        Posted: August 17, 2011, 7:31 am - IP Logged

Some people have crazy things in their head and no amount of money will change it,,for me it will mean more time to do other things

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49725 Posts
          Posted: August 17, 2011, 8:05 am - IP Logged

Ok, here's the question, and be honest. This  question is ONLY for people who don't think money will make them happy. All others please don't choose.

If you believe that there's a possibility that a lot money won't make you happy, would you deny the money given to you?

Of course If you're playing the lottery, you're gonna accept the money, but let's say someone wants to hand you 20 million dollars free and clear, would you tell them that you don't want to take it because it may make you unhappy?

It's a yes or no answer.

People know that Drinking and Smoking is Bad for their Health, but they Do It Anyway: Why should Money be Any Different: They'll Take It Anyhow! (Even if they Know It'll make them Unhappy)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: August 17, 2011, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

People know that Drinking and Smoking is Bad for their Health, but they Do It Anyway: Why should Money be Any Different: They'll Take It Anyhow! (Even if they Know It'll make them Unhappy)

Apples and oranges. People are happy when they're drunk and smoked. Bad analogy Raven.

According to you, If I'm gonna be unhappy ANYWAY, I may as well be rich and unhappy....DUH!!!

But that's according to you, not to me. I know for a fact I'll be happier than an elephant in high heels...

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
              California
              United States
              Member #112364
              June 17, 2011
              661 Posts
              Posted: August 17, 2011, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

No because it's too personal. When I get free money from the lottery, there is nothing personal about that. I bet against the machine, I win, I collect the money and that will be the end of it. I owe nobody nothing. But when somebody gives money to me for free, then there must be an implied or a hidden string attached. May be not legally but morally. And I hate it when money and personal affair get mixed. This is also the same reason that I won't borrow money from a person. I may borrow money from a bank but not a person. It's OK if it would cost me more on the interest because there is nothing personal about borrowing money from a bank. It's pure business.

United States
                Member #75358
                June 1, 2009
                5345 Posts
                Posted: August 17, 2011, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

No because it's too personal. When I get free money from the lottery, there is nothing personal about that. I bet against the machine, I win, I collect the money and that will be the end of it. I owe nobody nothing. But when somebody gives money to me for free, then there must be an implied or a hidden string attached. May be not legally but morally. And I hate it when money and personal affair get mixed. This is also the same reason that I won't borrow money from a person. I may borrow money from a bank but not a person. It's OK if it would cost me more on the interest because there is nothing personal about borrowing money from a bank. It's pure business.

BS

I was wondering when I'd get my first BS...lol

If you read what I wrote I said "Free and clear", meaning checked out by a lawyer and no strings attached. Some philanthropist picked your name out of a hat.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                  Republic of Texas
                  United States
                  Member #57557
                  January 9, 2008
                  1095 Posts
                  Posted: August 17, 2011, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Just because money won't bring you happiness, does not mean it will bring you unhappiness. Money brings ease and comfort. You make your own happiness. Or unhappiness as the case may be.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

California
                    United States
                    Member #112364
                    June 17, 2011
                    661 Posts
                    Posted: August 17, 2011, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

BS

I was wondering when I'd get my first BS...lol

If you read what I wrote I said "Free and clear", meaning checked out by a lawyer and no strings attached. Some philanthropist picked your name out of a hat.

I didn't say LEGALLY obligated. I said morally obligated. When somebody gives you something for free, there is always something inside of you that make you think that you are personally attached to that person. It's just too tacky to receive free money from anyone.

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5345 Posts
                      Posted: August 17, 2011, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

I didn't say LEGALLY obligated. I said morally obligated. When somebody gives you something for free, there is always something inside of you that make you think that you are personally attached to that person. It's just too tacky to receive free money from anyone.

What you write on a lottery site and what you would do in real life is totally different. If you really believe you'd turn down $20,000,000  , then your delusional or crazy, or both.

United States
                        Member #93947
                        July 10, 2010
                        2180 Posts
                        Posted: August 17, 2011, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

What you write on a lottery site and what you would do in real life is totally different. If you really believe you'd turn down $20,000,000  , then your delusional or crazy, or both.

Maybe he's been under the influece of rdgrnr, who, as it turns out, has puzzling tendencies...

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/235095/2173930 

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: August 17, 2011, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Maybe he's been under the influece of rdgrnr, who, as it turns out, has puzzling tendencies...

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/235095/2173930 

Heavens to Betsy, Goodness Gracious and Land Sakes Alive, aren't you the homophobe!

You humanists are so hateful!

You owe each and every tinkerbelle in here an apology, Nancy!

Oh wait... you're the only one except for the princess who purportedly went to Sweden for an operation.

Well then... never mind.

Thank God I'm a country boy! Yeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaa!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

California
                            United States
                            Member #112364
                            June 17, 2011
                            661 Posts
                            Posted: August 18, 2011, 12:14 am - IP Logged

No amount of money is worth for being manipulated or enslaved by a manipulator. I value my freedom and dignity more than anything. In real life, nobody gives you 20 millions dollars without any implied strings attached, may be not legally but at least psychologically.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                              Harbinger
                              D.C./MD.
                              United States
                              Member #44103
                              July 30, 2006
                              5583 Posts
                              Posted: August 18, 2011, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Anybody who doesn't think money wouldn't make them happy is probably not OK up there in the brain space......................so theoretically no internet,  running water,  electricity, MP3's, food etc.......