Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Internet Browers: Which Are Best?

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 5 years ago by unseen.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #93947
July 10, 2010
2180 Posts
Posted: August 21, 2011, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

Since  http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/147740   was accepted in the Lottery Discussion Forum in the past, I trust my current post is acceptable here now.

I rarely use my Internet Explorer 8 Browser at LP because I find it to be quite sluggish compared to FireFox or Chrome.  When I wish to access Microsoft Update or certain other Microsoft pages, I'm forced to use it.

Given my experience, I find it strange that IE-8 is so popular among Members at LotteryPost.com.  I did some informal tests updating some Prediction Statistics pages at LP pitting IE-8 against Firefox and Chrome, and found IE-8 quite a laggard.  But I wanted to get a more reliable test of the differences among these browsers, so I looked around for one.  Here's what I found:

http://clients.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

Here are my captured results:

I'm not sure if the scores are normalized across different machines or not, so it will be interesting to see the results that others get.  Even if the scores are influenced by the user's machine speed and OS, the relative percentage differences should be the same.  My tests were done from XP within a 12 minute period.  Since I don't have IE-9, I'd definitely like to see if it is an improvement over 8!

What results did YOU get?

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: August 21, 2011, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

There are things IE does that the others don't do for me, so I'm staying with IE.

Here are my results...

pic

United States
      Member #93947
      July 10, 2010
      2180 Posts
      Posted: August 21, 2011, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Joker.

IE-9 looks like an improvement over IE-8.

I hope others will run this on IE-8 on their machines for comparison.

The dismal result for me seems too low.

South Carolina
        United States
        Member #18322
        July 9, 2005
        1707 Posts
        Posted: August 22, 2011, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

What type of Browser is CHROME ???  I've Never heard of it.  How is CHROME Better Than FIREFOX or INTERNET EXPLORER ???

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5583 Posts
          Posted: August 22, 2011, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

What type of Browser is CHROME ???  I've Never heard of it.  How is CHROME Better Than FIREFOX or INTERNET EXPLORER ???

Chrome is Google's browser

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95346.

It is a fast alternative to every browser.  Be careful if you install it,  read the options as far as adding toolbars etc.. Know what you are adding to your machine......................

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49831 Posts
            Posted: August 22, 2011, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

Chrome is Google's browser

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95346.

It is a fast alternative to every browser.  Be careful if you install it,  read the options as far as adding toolbars etc.. Know what you are adding to your machine......................

Being the Fastest: Doesn't make it the Best!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #22395
              September 24, 2005
              1583 Posts
              Posted: August 23, 2011, 4:31 am - IP Logged

For security, Internet Explorer 9 is the best.

Aug 16, 2011 article
              Internet Explorer tops browser security tests | Security | ZDNet UK: http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security/2011/08/16/internet-explorer-tops-browser-security-tests-40093698/

For speed it is between Opera and Chrome
              March 22, 2011 article
              Browser Speed Tests: Firefox 4, Internet Explorer 9, Chrome 11, and More: http://lifehacker.com/5784396/browser-speed-tests-firefox-4-internet-explorer-9-chrome-11-and-more

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7322 Posts
                Posted: August 23, 2011, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Thanks Joker.

IE-9 looks like an improvement over IE-8.

I hope others will run this on IE-8 on their machines for comparison.

The dismal result for me seems too low.

IE-8 is for Windows XP so by comparison your machine is probably much slower. Some manufactures did offer XP as an option after Windows Vista came out and their results could be slightly better. IE-9 is much faster but XP users can't use it.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: August 23, 2011, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

IE-8 is for Windows XP so by comparison your machine is probably much slower. Some manufactures did offer XP as an option after Windows Vista came out and their results could be slightly better. IE-9 is much faster but XP users can't use it.

There are so many reasons a machine can run "slow" it would surprise many as to how "fast" an old machine can run on WinXP browsers if the software and hardware are configured correctly.

Any machine able to run WinVista can be also greatly improved if "configured" correctly.

The key is improving performance issues is that a computers' resources are not being frivilously spent on uneccessary or unknowingly authorized processes.

Win7 is awesomola for the most part and highly secure,  machine upgrade necessary for most, if you want Win7.   There is a utility that can evaluate your PC to check if Win7 will run on it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

United States
                    Member #93947
                    July 10, 2010
                    2180 Posts
                    Posted: August 23, 2011, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Since  http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/147740   was accepted in the Lottery Discussion Forum in the past, I trust my current post is acceptable here now.

I rarely use my Internet Explorer 8 Browser at LP because I find it to be quite sluggish compared to FireFox or Chrome.  When I wish to access Microsoft Update or certain other Microsoft pages, I'm forced to use it.

Given my experience, I find it strange that IE-8 is so popular among Members at LotteryPost.com.  I did some informal tests updating some Prediction Statistics pages at LP pitting IE-8 against Firefox and Chrome, and found IE-8 quite a laggard.  But I wanted to get a more reliable test of the differences among these browsers, so I looked around for one.  Here's what I found:

I'm not sure if the scores are normalized across different machines or not, so it will be interesting to see the results that others get.  Even if the scores are influenced by the user's machine speed and OS, the relative percentage differences should be the same.  My tests were done from XP within a 12 minute period.  Since I don't have IE-9, I'd definitely like to see if it is an improvement over 8!

What no one seems to be observing is that it's the RELATIVE differences among the 3 browsers I tested on the same machine within 15 minutes, that is important.  I was hoping someone else would have a configuration that would allow them to compare IE-8, Firefox-5, and Chrome 13, to verify my result.

To compare IE-8 to IE-9 we need someone with a dual boot system, one running IE-8 under XP, the other, IE-9 under whatever.

As for Joker's tests, Firefox 3.6 is known to be much slower than 5.0 under most tests, which would account for his results showing Chrome 3X faster than Firefox, and mine, 2X.

So, if others who can would make runs with either my setup, or Joker17's, we would then have more "apples" to compare to apples, and "oranges" to compare to oranges!

P.S. Joker, if you upgrade to FF 5.0, and test again, it will help! Smile

United States
                      Member #93947
                      July 10, 2010
                      2180 Posts
                      Posted: August 23, 2011, 5:23 pm - IP Logged
                        JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                        Member #5599
                        July 13, 2004
                        1185 Posts
                        Posted: August 24, 2011, 2:54 am - IP Logged

Hi,

One thing you might want to consider in all of the is the amount of referral services Todd is using at the LP. If you go with Firefox and use the Ghostery add on you will see what I mean. Everything anyone posts here goes to multiple referral services unless you use a blocking add on. Just an FYI.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                          Tx
                          United States
                          Member #4570
                          May 4, 2004
                          5180 Posts
                          Posted: August 25, 2011, 5:15 am - IP Logged

Hi,

One thing you might want to consider in all of the is the amount of referral services Todd is using at the LP. If you go with Firefox and use the Ghostery add on you will see what I mean. Everything anyone posts here goes to multiple referral services unless you use a blocking add on. Just an FYI.

What is the name of the Blocking Add On?

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                            Member #5599
                            July 13, 2004
                            1185 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2011, 8:30 am - IP Logged

What is the name of the Blocking Add On?

Ghostery

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                              Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23275 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2011, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Hi,

It is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about.  Your comments are dangerous because you take a real topic (ad tracking) and try to make people believe that posting content at Lottery Post has anything to do with it.

You are flat-out wrong.  I hope you are simply misinformed, and not purposely lying to people here.

"Ad tracking" occurs on every single web site on the Internet that shows ads.  It is simply a means for advertisers to be able to show advertisements that the individual is interested in seeing.

Any ad tracking that occurs is done completely by the advertiser, not by Lottery Post.  Moreover, the advertisers do not have access to personal stuff like your e-mail address, password, content you post, private messages you send -- nothing.  That's because all web browsers have security mechanisms built-in that prohibit third party content (like advertisements) from accessing any page content and/or internal information (like cookies) from the domain you are viewing (i.e., Lottery Post).

Plugins like "Ghostery" will allow you to see the advertising trackers.  I am sure the paranoid among us will try to disable trackers, and I guess they will make themselves feel very smart for doing so.  However, the balanced among us know that ad trackers are harmless and are not a manifestation of "Big Brother" -- they are simply a means for advertisers to show you ads that you are more likely to click on, because they are related to things you are interested in.

TRULY paranoid types will also disable cookies on their computer.  And then they won't be able to use Lottery Post, because like most sites with login capability, Lottery Post relies upon cookies.  Again, the balanced among us understand that cookies are also harmless, and not a manifestation of "Big Brother". 

I would greatly appreciate if any additional posts here would not continue to steer things off-topic by suggesting falsely that Lottery Post is "tracking you" or by continuing into other paranoid realms.  I believe the topic pertains to browser performance, so let's please stay on-topic.

And regarding browser performance, Google Chrome is (IMHO) the best web browser, based not only upon its stellar performance, but also on its simple and streamlined interface, its security (the first browser to run both Flash and Adobe Reader in a "sandbox"), and the fact that it automatically and silently updates itself.

Internet Explorer has made tremendous improvements in version 9, and the upcoming version 10 will be even better.  Even though my #1 choice is Google Chrome, I have no problems recommending that anyone use IE9 as their primary browser, it's that good.

It seems the original author of this thread is stuck on Widnows XP, and the best thing any Windows XP user could do to improve their situation is to upgrade to Windows 7.  Once on Windows 7, a variety of modern software and technology is at your disposal, and you are no longer limited in your choices.  You will also be far more secure than you are today, once you upgrade to Windows 7.  Windows XP is a decade old, and has many security holes.  Use the link in a previous post by Jarasan to see if your PC is upgradable to Windows 7.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                              Help eliminate computerized drawings!