Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Internet Browers: Which Are Best?

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 5 years ago by unseen.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23260 Posts
Posted: August 25, 2011, 10:46 am - IP Logged

Very old news.  Here's a much better story from last week:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security/2011/08/16/internet-explorer-tops-browser-security-tests-40093698/

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Milwaukee, WI
    United States
    Member #3131
    December 27, 2003
    665 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2011, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

I use Safari, but you need a GOOD computer to run it.

Micro$oft free since 2/17/2000 and loving it!

ChaosX's avatar - dnf
      Morris County, NJ
      United States
      Member #114357
      July 29, 2011
      656 Posts
      Posted: August 26, 2011, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

I got a score of 6126 using FireFox 6.0

ChaosX's avatar - dnf
        Morris County, NJ
        United States
        Member #114357
        July 29, 2011
        656 Posts
        Posted: August 26, 2011, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

I got a score of 6126 using FireFox 6.0

Ran it again to get a screen shot and got slightly higher results.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49665 Posts
          Posted: August 26, 2011, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

IE-8 is for Windows XP so by comparison your machine is probably much slower. Some manufactures did offer XP as an option after Windows Vista came out and their results could be slightly better. IE-9 is much faster but XP users can't use it.

Which Browser is Lottery Post Optimized for?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #22395
            September 24, 2005
            1583 Posts
            Posted: August 26, 2011, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

deja vu?

I know I saw that link somewhere... HA!  That's right, 1st page of this thread, my post, 7th one down!  Wink

For security, Internet Explorer 9 is the best.

Aug 16, 2011 article
            Internet Explorer tops browser security tests | Security | ZDNet UK: http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security/2011/08/16/internet-explorer-tops-browser-security-tests-40093698/

...I know you can't catch them all...

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23260 Posts
              Posted: August 26, 2011, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Which Browser is Lottery Post Optimized for?

Lottery Post is optimized for:

• IE 9
              • Google Chrome
              • Firefox 5+
              • Safari 5+
              Also regularly tested with:
              • IE 8
              • Opera 11+
              • iPhone
              • iPad
              • Android 2.2+ — Coming soon: Android Honeycomb (Android tablets)
              • webOS 3+ (HP TouchPad tablet)

United States
                Member #93947
                July 10, 2010
                2180 Posts
                Posted: August 27, 2011, 1:14 am - IP Logged

It is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about.  Your comments are dangerous because you take a real topic (ad tracking) and try to make people believe that posting content at Lottery Post has anything to do with it.

You are flat-out wrong.  I hope you are simply misinformed, and not purposely lying to people here.

"Ad tracking" occurs on every single web site on the Internet that shows ads.  It is simply a means for advertisers to be able to show advertisements that the individual is interested in seeing.

Any ad tracking that occurs is done completely by the advertiser, not by Lottery Post.  Moreover, the advertisers do not have access to personal stuff like your e-mail address, password, content you post, private messages you send -- nothing.  That's because all web browsers have security mechanisms built-in that prohibit third party content (like advertisements) from accessing any page content and/or internal information (like cookies) from the domain you are viewing (i.e., Lottery Post).

Plugins like "Ghostery" will allow you to see the advertising trackers.  I am sure the paranoid among us will try to disable trackers, and I guess they will make themselves feel very smart for doing so.  However, the balanced among us know that ad trackers are harmless and are not a manifestation of "Big Brother" -- they are simply a means for advertisers to show you ads that you are more likely to click on, because they are related to things you are interested in.

TRULY paranoid types will also disable cookies on their computer.  And then they won't be able to use Lottery Post, because like most sites with login capability, Lottery Post relies upon cookies.  Again, the balanced among us understand that cookies are also harmless, and not a manifestation of "Big Brother". 

I would greatly appreciate if any additional posts here would not continue to steer things off-topic by suggesting falsely that Lottery Post is "tracking you" or by continuing into other paranoid realms.  I believe the topic pertains to browser performance, so let's please stay on-topic.

And regarding browser performance, Google Chrome is (IMHO) the best web browser, based not only upon its stellar performance, but also on its simple and streamlined interface, its security (the first browser to run both Flash and Adobe Reader in a "sandbox"), and the fact that it automatically and silently updates itself.

Internet Explorer has made tremendous improvements in version 9, and the upcoming version 10 will be even better.  Even though my #1 choice is Google Chrome, I have no problems recommending that anyone use IE9 as their primary browser, it's that good.

It seems the original author of this thread is stuck on Widnows XP, and the best thing any Windows XP user could do to improve their situation is to upgrade to Windows 7.  Once on Windows 7, a variety of modern software and technology is at your disposal, and you are no longer limited in your choices.  You will also be far more secure than you are today, once you upgrade to Windows 7.  Windows XP is a decade old, and has many security holes.  Use the link in a previous post by Jarasan to see if your PC is upgradable to Windows 7.

I still haven't been able to discover what is wrong with IE-8 that causes it to perform so miserably compared to all the others.

Do you have any ideas?

As far as XP is concerned, I'm "stuck" on it in a way someone might be "stuck" on their 10 year old Camry that serves them well.  That said, if you'd like to send me a copy of Windows 7 Pro with a clean license, I'll gladly install it on one of my machines!

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #22395
                  September 24, 2005
                  1583 Posts
                  Posted: August 27, 2011, 3:11 am - IP Logged

It is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about.  Your comments are dangerous because you take a real topic (ad tracking) and try to make people believe that posting content at Lottery Post has anything to do with it.

You are flat-out wrong.  I hope you are simply misinformed, and not purposely lying to people here.

"Ad tracking" occurs on every single web site on the Internet that shows ads.  It is simply a means for advertisers to be able to show advertisements that the individual is interested in seeing.

Any ad tracking that occurs is done completely by the advertiser, not by Lottery Post.  Moreover, the advertisers do not have access to personal stuff like your e-mail address, password, content you post, private messages you send -- nothing.  That's because all web browsers have security mechanisms built-in that prohibit third party content (like advertisements) from accessing any page content and/or internal information (like cookies) from the domain you are viewing (i.e., Lottery Post).

Plugins like "Ghostery" will allow you to see the advertising trackers.  I am sure the paranoid among us will try to disable trackers, and I guess they will make themselves feel very smart for doing so.  However, the balanced among us know that ad trackers are harmless and are not a manifestation of "Big Brother" -- they are simply a means for advertisers to show you ads that you are more likely to click on, because they are related to things you are interested in.

TRULY paranoid types will also disable cookies on their computer.  And then they won't be able to use Lottery Post, because like most sites with login capability, Lottery Post relies upon cookies.  Again, the balanced among us understand that cookies are also harmless, and not a manifestation of "Big Brother". 

I would greatly appreciate if any additional posts here would not continue to steer things off-topic by suggesting falsely that Lottery Post is "tracking you" or by continuing into other paranoid realms.  I believe the topic pertains to browser performance, so let's please stay on-topic.

And regarding browser performance, Google Chrome is (IMHO) the best web browser, based not only upon its stellar performance, but also on its simple and streamlined interface, its security (the first browser to run both Flash and Adobe Reader in a "sandbox"), and the fact that it automatically and silently updates itself.

Internet Explorer has made tremendous improvements in version 9, and the upcoming version 10 will be even better.  Even though my #1 choice is Google Chrome, I have no problems recommending that anyone use IE9 as their primary browser, it's that good.

It seems the original author of this thread is stuck on Widnows XP, and the best thing any Windows XP user could do to improve their situation is to upgrade to Windows 7.  Once on Windows 7, a variety of modern software and technology is at your disposal, and you are no longer limited in your choices.  You will also be far more secure than you are today, once you upgrade to Windows 7.  Windows XP is a decade old, and has many security holes.  Use the link in a previous post by Jarasan to see if your PC is upgradable to Windows 7.

I would consider that invasive.  If I don't tell my computer to alter a program, then I don't want it altered.  I also don't want to give Google more information than I already do.  Google insists that a Google Plus account must use your real name (at least that is the current rule they have in place).  You already give your real name online - so that isn't a problem with you.  However, there is a huge portion of the population that does not want their real name online.  And a huge portion of the population that doesn't want Google getting into their private lives.  (Just my opinion).

DFW, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #78628
                    August 18, 2009
                    134 Posts
                    Posted: August 27, 2011, 7:43 am - IP Logged

I don't care too much about milliseconds of difference in browser speeds.  I do wish I could still use Firefox 2, though.  I liked it because it was dumb.  I told it what to do, and it obeyed.

The newer versions are smart.  They try to figure me out, predict what I want, and suggest what it thinks I'm looking for.  Some options have even been removed, so that instead of being customizable, the browser figures out settings for me and I have no option to change them.  The other browsers have gotten smarter, too.  I like Firefox a lot less now, but, for me, it's the least bad of the pack.  I wish I had a dumb browser that did what it was told instead of telling me what it thinks I want, but could keep up with modern web features.

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23260 Posts
                      Posted: August 27, 2011, 8:32 am - IP Logged

I still haven't been able to discover what is wrong with IE-8 that causes it to perform so miserably compared to all the others.

Do you have any ideas?

As far as XP is concerned, I'm "stuck" on it in a way someone might be "stuck" on their 10 year old Camry that serves them well.  That said, if you'd like to send me a copy of Windows 7 Pro with a clean license, I'll gladly install it on one of my machines!

Windows XP is more like a 10-year old Hyundai.

Like cars, if you don't get a new one, your old one gets worse and worse until it will no longer run.

And like a car, I won't buy you a new copy of Windows 7 either.  It's up to you to budget the $100 for a Windows 7 license to make your computer better.

IE 8 doesn't perform "miserably".  It performs pretty good -- for the time period it was built in.  It's OLD TECHNOLOGY now.  That's why PEOPLE UPGRADE.

If you want to constantly be stuck with old technology because it's "comfortable" to you, then you will always be living in the slow lane.  Some people are OK with that.  I'm not one of them myself.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23260 Posts
                        Posted: August 27, 2011, 8:35 am - IP Logged

I would consider that invasive.  If I don't tell my computer to alter a program, then I don't want it altered.  I also don't want to give Google more information than I already do.  Google insists that a Google Plus account must use your real name (at least that is the current rule they have in place).  You already give your real name online - so that isn't a problem with you.  However, there is a huge portion of the population that does not want their real name online.  And a huge portion of the population that doesn't want Google getting into their private lives.  (Just my opinion).

Google's "real name" policy in their Google+ service has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Google Chrome browser. 

The fact that a piece of software keeps itself updated is a GOOD THING.  How you could twist that into something evil is beyond me. 

Installing the Chrome Web browser doesn't "let Google into your private life".  That's just preposterous.

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23260 Posts
                          Posted: August 27, 2011, 8:39 am - IP Logged

I don't care too much about milliseconds of difference in browser speeds.  I do wish I could still use Firefox 2, though.  I liked it because it was dumb.  I told it what to do, and it obeyed.

The newer versions are smart.  They try to figure me out, predict what I want, and suggest what it thinks I'm looking for.  Some options have even been removed, so that instead of being customizable, the browser figures out settings for me and I have no option to change them.  The other browsers have gotten smarter, too.  I like Firefox a lot less now, but, for me, it's the least bad of the pack.  I wish I had a dumb browser that did what it was told instead of telling me what it thinks I want, but could keep up with modern web features.

We're back into a period of "browser wars", in which the major browser brands are fighting to capture market share.

Google Chrome on IE 9 are the browsers that currently have the least amount of "frills" on the interface.  I like them because they are "minimial" interfaces.  Maybe one of those would be more to your liking.

United States
                            Member #93947
                            July 10, 2010
                            2180 Posts
                            Posted: August 27, 2011, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Windows XP is more like a 10-year old Hyundai.

Like cars, if you don't get a new one, your old one gets worse and worse until it will no longer run.

And like a car, I won't buy you a new copy of Windows 7 either.  It's up to you to budget the $100 for a Windows 7 license to make your computer better.

IE 8 doesn't perform "miserably".  It performs pretty good -- for the time period it was built in.  It's OLD TECHNOLOGY now.  That's why PEOPLE UPGRADE.

If you want to constantly be stuck with old technology because it's "comfortable" to you, then you will always be living in the slow lane.  Some people are OK with that.  I'm not one of them myself.

"Like cars, if you don't get a new one, your old one gets worse and worse until it will no longer run."

This is true when the manufacturer engineers it to become obsolete.

When IE-8 performs at a rate roughly 1/9 of its contemporary, Firefox 3, on their home court, XP, "miserably" doesn't seem that far off the mark to me.  I'm still curious about what the main change was that brought about the dramatic improvement in speed from IE-8 to IE-9.  I know I could check at Microsoft.com but I just thought I'd ask here first.

BTW, It doesn't cost me anything to upgrade my FreeBSD machine.

Be careful in that fast lane!

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23260 Posts
                              Posted: August 27, 2011, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

"Like cars, if you don't get a new one, your old one gets worse and worse until it will no longer run."

This is true when the manufacturer engineers it to become obsolete.

When IE-8 performs at a rate roughly 1/9 of its contemporary, Firefox 3, on their home court, XP, "miserably" doesn't seem that far off the mark to me.  I'm still curious about what the main change was that brought about the dramatic improvement in speed from IE-8 to IE-9.  I know I could check at Microsoft.com but I just thought I'd ask here first.

BTW, It doesn't cost me anything to upgrade my FreeBSD machine.

Be careful in that fast lane!

Yeah, check with Microsoft.  Maybe they'll inform you of the incorrect "1/9th" number you're providing.

You go, FreeBSD user, you go!