Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Take 5 New York

Topic closed. 295 replies. Last post 5 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 18 of 20
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #94616
July 24, 2010
4735 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2012, 6:43 am - IP Logged

Hit 3 of 5 on the $3 Free plays I got last night for buying $10 Dance

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
    NY State
    United States
    Member #92609
    June 10, 2010
    3702 Posts
    Posted: March 9, 2012, 6:46 am - IP Logged

Congrats on your  PB win.  Every little bit helps.

According to the NY lottery, about 70% of their sales are in NYC, which explains why all the winners are down there.

When it finally shows a winner in Albany County, it better be me :)

The other county you'll see that produces a fair amount of winners is Erie.  ie Buffalo.

I would guess that a large percentage of that remaining 30%  living in NY State other than in NYC is in Erie County.

It's all about where the most tickets are sold, which is obviously where the most people live. I get a kick out of LP posters that complain about many PB and MM wins comming from NY.  You'll also see JP winners from Florida, Texas, and California alot. That's because those states have the largest populations.

I hate it when I see a Take5 winner from Dutchess County. That's because I know it's gonna be a while before another one happens. 

Here's one for you.  What age group plays the lottery the most?   Ages 45 - 64.   Of that, what age group buys the most tickets.  My guess is that it's the senior citizens.  I dont know why seniors play more, but if you look at pix of the winners, while you do see younger faces, you'll see more older faces than younger looking ones.  that woman in Rhode Island that just won the big PB JP is 81................

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Albany, NY
      United States
      Member #124164
      March 8, 2012
      42 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2012, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Below is a list of the 25 most populated counties in NY.  You can see why so many of the winners come from Kings and Queens counties.  The 4 counties around the capital region where I am do not even add up to a 1/3 of the population of Kings county.

I havent seen a winner in Albany County in long time, or I missed it when scanning through the results.

New York total population by county

County                      Total Population
      Kings               total population - 2,508,820 
      Queens            total population - 2,255,175
      New York         total population - 1,611,581
      Suffolk             total population - 1,469,715
      Bronx               total population - 1,361,473
      Nassau             total population - 1,325,662
      Westchester     total population - 949,355
      Erie                   total population - 921,390
      Monroe             total population - 730,807
      Richmond          total population - 477,377
      Onondaga         total population - 456,777
      Orange             total population - 376,392
      Albany              total population - 297,556
      Dutchess          total population - 295,146
      Rockland          total population - 294,965
      Oneida             total population - 233,954
      Niagara            total population - 216,130
      Saratoga          total population - 215,473
      Broome            total population - 196,269
      Ulster               total population - 182,742
      Rensselaer       total population - 155,292
      Schenectady     total population - 150,440
      Chautauqua     total population - 135,357
      Oswego            total population - 123,077
      Jefferson           total population - 114,264

Edit: cleaned up the list a little more for easier reading

NY State
        United States
        Member #92609
        June 10, 2010
        3702 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2012, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Below is a list of the 25 most populated counties in NY.  You can see why so many of the winners come from Kings and Queens counties.  The 4 counties around the capital region where I am do not even add up to a 1/3 of the population of Kings county.

I havent seen a winner in Albany County in long time, or I missed it when scanning through the results.

New York total population by county

County                      Total Population
        Kings               total population - 2,508,820 
        Queens            total population - 2,255,175
        New York         total population - 1,611,581
        Suffolk             total population - 1,469,715
        Bronx               total population - 1,361,473
        Nassau             total population - 1,325,662
        Westchester     total population - 949,355
        Erie                   total population - 921,390
        Monroe             total population - 730,807
        Richmond          total population - 477,377
        Onondaga         total population - 456,777
        Orange             total population - 376,392
        Albany              total population - 297,556
        Dutchess          total population - 295,146
        Rockland          total population - 294,965
        Oneida             total population - 233,954
        Niagara            total population - 216,130
        Saratoga          total population - 215,473
        Broome            total population - 196,269
        Ulster               total population - 182,742
        Rensselaer       total population - 155,292
        Schenectady     total population - 150,440
        Chautauqua     total population - 135,357
        Oswego            total population - 123,077
        Jefferson           total population - 114,264

Edit: cleaned up the list a little more for easier reading

Whenever I'm in or around NYC I buy a ticket or two.   It hasn't done me any good, but I always think that maybe being part of that sales pool might help.

Remember too that NYC sees thousands of people every day that commute to their jobs in Manhattan (New York County) from New Jersey, Long Island, Connecticut, Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland and Orange Counties.  I gotta believe there are more than a few folks in that group that buy tickets near where they work.   

From time to time, I see a JP winner in either Albany or Schenectady Counties.  Not many in Rensselaer.  I'd say Dutchess see's one JP winner every six months.  I'm surprised Onondaga (Syracuse area) doesnt seem to produce all that many winners.  I think I've seen more Broome County winners (Binghampton) than Syracuse.

I wonder about the distribustion of scratch off winners.  I'd guess more would be sold in NYC than anywhere else in the state, so it stands to reason more big prize scratch-off winners are located in the NYC metro area.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
          Member #94616
          July 24, 2010
          4735 Posts
          Posted: March 10, 2012, 2:58 am - IP Logged

Whenever I'm in or around NYC I buy a ticket or two.   It hasn't done me any good, but I always think that maybe being part of that sales pool might help.

Remember too that NYC sees thousands of people every day that commute to their jobs in Manhattan (New York County) from New Jersey, Long Island, Connecticut, Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland and Orange Counties.  I gotta believe there are more than a few folks in that group that buy tickets near where they work.   

From time to time, I see a JP winner in either Albany or Schenectady Counties.  Not many in Rensselaer.  I'd say Dutchess see's one JP winner every six months.  I'm surprised Onondaga (Syracuse area) doesnt seem to produce all that many winners.  I think I've seen more Broome County winners (Binghampton) than Syracuse.

I wonder about the distribustion of scratch off winners.  I'd guess more would be sold in NYC than anywhere else in the state, so it stands to reason more big prize scratch-off winners are located in the NYC metro area.

I would think the Buffalo/Rochester area would produce more winners.  Also outside of NYC It seems like I see alot of Stewarts & Wegmans get a lot of winners.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
            upstate NY
            United States
            Member #108791
            March 31, 2011
            549 Posts
            Posted: March 10, 2012, 3:58 am - IP Logged

I would think the Buffalo/Rochester area would produce more winners.  Also outside of NYC It seems like I see alot of Stewarts & Wegmans get a lot of winners.

Not surprising.  Wegmans is fairly ubiquitous in western and central NY and Stewarts has over 300 locations, mostly in eastern NY.

United States
              Member #94616
              July 24, 2010
              4735 Posts
              Posted: March 10, 2012, 8:50 am - IP Logged

OMG *** 10 *** jackpot winners last night!!!!! Eek 

NO QP's or FP's - wow!!!

never seen that many!  And looks like somebody was reading the story about the 2 West Virgina guys that won the $14 mill - check it out...

March 9, 2012 Take Five Winning Numbers: 12-17-21-23-32 Take Five Drawing - 10 Top Prize Winner(s) of $10,423.00 top prize

PRIZE LEVELNUMBERS MATCHEDPRIZE AMOUNTNO.OF WINNERS
              First5 of 5$10,423.0010
              Winning Counties: NEW YORK , QUEENS , QUEENS , QUEENS , QUEENS , QUEENS , SUFFOLK , KINGS , BRONX ,BRONX ,
              Retailer Locations: 
              • LENOX TERRACE DRUGS , 20 W 135TH ST , NEW YORK
              • QUEENS MINI MARKET , 45-01 QUEENS BLVD , SUNNYSIDE
              • STOP & SHOP #0550 , 351 MERRICK ROAD , AMITYVILLE
              • FU XING MARKET CORP , 5822 8TH AVE , BROOKLYN
              • K & S LIQUOR , 3394 JEROME AVE , BRONX
              Second4 of 5$301.00519
              Third3 of 5$19.5013172

United States
                Member #94616
                July 24, 2010
                4735 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2012, 8:53 am - IP Logged

OMG *** 10 *** jackpot winners last night!!!!! Eek 

NO QP's or FP's - wow!!!

never seen that many!  And looks like somebody was reading the story about the 2 West Virgina guys that won the $14 mill - check it out...

March 9, 2012 Take Five Winning Numbers: 12-17-21-23-32 Take Five Drawing - 10 Top Prize Winner(s) of $10,423.00 top prize

PRIZE LEVELNUMBERS MATCHEDPRIZE AMOUNTNO.OF WINNERS
                First5 of 5$10,423.0010
                Winning Counties: NEW YORK , QUEENS , QUEENS , QUEENS , QUEENS , QUEENS , SUFFOLK , KINGS , BRONX ,BRONX ,
                Retailer Locations: 
                • LENOX TERRACE DRUGS , 20 W 135TH ST , NEW YORK
                • STOP & SHOP #0550 , 351 MERRICK ROAD , AMITYVILLE
                • FU XING MARKET CORP , 5822 8TH AVE , BROOKLYN
                Second4 of 5$301.00519
                Third3 of 5$19.5013172

ok, so the person that bought the *5 matching* tickets from the same store made out as follows 

5 x 10,423 = 52,115

if they had ONLY bought one ticket the only 6 winners as follows

6 winners of 104,230.00 = 17,371

made 34,744 MORE!!

NICE!

Albany, NY
                  United States
                  Member #124164
                  March 8, 2012
                  42 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2012, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I have seen that many winners without a single QP or FP in it.

It defnitely looks like the one person had 5 tickets and someone else might have had two tickets.

upstate NY
                    United States
                    Member #108791
                    March 31, 2011
                    549 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2012, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

That's the one thing I fear the most with Take 5: hitting the jackpot only to find it's been split up multiple ways.  I'd be angry if I was the ticket buyer in Manhattan, Amityville, or Brooklyn.

NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      3702 Posts
                      Posted: March 10, 2012, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

That's the one thing I fear the most with Take 5: hitting the jackpot only to find it's been split up multiple ways.  I'd be angry if I was the ticket buyer in Manhattan, Amityville, or Brooklyn.

Well Brat, while I agree with you that a Take5 jackpot being split among multiple players stinks, you might as well resign yourself to the fact that chances are very good that will happen if you are fortunate enough to win a JP.

The single Take5 JP winner is the exception.  Most days multiple winners are seen, and hardly ever is there not a winner from NYC or Long Island.

I've seen the phenomenom where many JP winning lines/combos are sold at the same store before.  It happened last year in NYC.  (Brooklyn if my memory serves me correctly.)  Saavy players do it for one reason.  It gives them a larger share of the JP.  I think it's probably more commonplace than most people realize.  I'm sure the NYS Lottery can easily see it happening every day.  We only see it when a JP is won by someone that played the same winning line repeatedly.

Sweet Million isnt pari-mutuel, but there are hardly any JP winners. (Actually SM becomes pari-mutuel if more than 5 players win a million dollars.)  As for me, I'll still play T5, and maybe I'll try the multiple lines of the same set of 5 numbers thing.  That said, I think if I do that kind of thing, I'm better off doing it in either Mega or PowerBall. (with either the PowerPlay or Megaplier option played)  Look what happened in West Virginia not too long ago.

NY State
                        United States
                        Member #92609
                        June 10, 2010
                        3702 Posts
                        Posted: March 10, 2012, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

ok, so the person that bought the *5 matching* tickets from the same store made out as follows 

5 x 10,423 = 52,115

if they had ONLY bought one ticket the only 6 winners as follows

6 winners of 104,230.00 = 17,371

made 34,744 MORE!!

NICE!

I dunno about the no QP's or FP's Kap.  Maybe, maybe not.

Seems like too many winners for there not to be any QP's.  The person who won with 5 lines had to be a player pick, but some of the others could have been QP's. Whoever at The NYS Lottery that listed the winners on the website may have forgot to add the fact that the line was a QP.  Could have been a human error/oversight is all I'm sayin.

upstate NY
                          United States
                          Member #108791
                          March 31, 2011
                          549 Posts
                          Posted: March 10, 2012, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Well Brat, while I agree with you that a Take5 jackpot being split among multiple players stinks, you might as well resign yourself to the fact that chances are very good that will happen if you are fortunate enough to win a JP.

The single Take5 JP winner is the exception.  Most days multiple winners are seen, and hardly ever is there not a winner from NYC or Long Island.

I've seen the phenomenom where many JP winning lines/combos are sold at the same store before.  It happened last year in NYC.  (Brooklyn if my memory serves me correctly.)  Saavy players do it for one reason.  It gives them a larger share of the JP.  I think it's probably more commonplace than most people realize.  I'm sure the NYS Lottery can easily see it happening every day.  We only see it when a JP is won by someone that played the same winning line repeatedly.

Sweet Million isnt pari-mutuel, but there are hardly any JP winners. (Actually SM becomes pari-mutuel if more than 5 players win a million dollars.)  As for me, I'll still play T5, and maybe I'll try the multiple lines of the same set of 5 numbers thing.  That said, I think if I do that kind of thing, I'm better off doing it in either Mega or PowerBall. (with either the PowerPlay or Megaplier option played)  Look what happened in West Virginia not too long ago.

"The single Take5 JP winner is the exception.  Most days multiple winners are seen, and hardly ever is there not a winner from NYC or Long Island."

True, true.  Wasn't that long ago that you'd either have no winner or a single winner with multiples being rare.  You're right, though, these days there's usually two or three winners a day.

And the NYC/LI thing makes sense as combined they make up about 57% of the entire state's population (NYC 42.5%, LI 14.5%).

"Sweet Million isnt pari-mutuel, but there are hardly any JP winners."

Indeed.  I've gotta think it's because of either the odds or the paltry lower-tier prize structure.  As for me, I play both games.  A split T5 jackpot is better than not hitting it at all, and of course I wouldn't turn my nose up at the $1M prize from Sweet Million.

United States
                            Member #94616
                            July 24, 2010
                            4735 Posts
                            Posted: March 10, 2012, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

I dunno about the no QP's or FP's Kap.  Maybe, maybe not.

Seems like too many winners for there not to be any QP's.  The person who won with 5 lines had to be a player pick, but some of the others could have been QP's. Whoever at The NYS Lottery that listed the winners on the website may have forgot to add the fact that the line was a QP.  Could have been a human error/oversight is all I'm sayin.

NYL puts a QP or FP after the county listed if its one of those.

NY State
                              United States
                              Member #92609
                              June 10, 2010
                              3702 Posts
                              Posted: March 11, 2012, 9:04 am - IP Logged

NYL puts a QP or FP after the county listed if its one of those.

I've seen that too.   But how did that get QP/FP get there?

My guess is that it's not a computer program inputting either the QP or FP. I'm thinking it could be a person doing it.  If it is a person, and if he/she didnt do it, then it would appear as if they were all player picks when they weren't. 

It's kind of second nature for me not to believe everything I see/read on The Web.  That's due to the fact I worked in data processing for more than 30 years. (and I'm still doing it too!) Computers are great, but people program and run them. Screw ups are commonplace because people arent perfect!

Page 18 of 20