$107 million lottery winner turns out to be son of Marriott president

Sep 10, 2011, 9:45 am (102 comments)

Mega Millions

By Todd Northrop

When Lottery Post reported in August about 25-year-old Brian McCarthy claiming a $107 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot, little was known publicly about the new multi-millionaire.

(See Virginia man claims $107M Mega Millions jackpotLottery Post, Aug. 16, 2011.)

Now it can be revealed that the lucky young lottery player is actually the son of the Marriott hotels president, Robert McCarthy, a millionaire in his own right, earning an annual salary of around $1.2 million.

At the time of the August publication, Brian McCarthy only referred to himself as an account manager at Pepsi.

McCarty had purchased his winning ticket on a whim as he was withdrawing money from an ATM in inside a grocery store in Herndon, Virginia.  McCarthy's grandmother, who was with him when he found out that he'd hit the jackpot, offered to make him a grilled cheese sandwich to celebrate the win.

McCarthy accepted a lump-sum cash payout of $68.4 million, instead of taking the full $107 million annuity paid in 26 annual installments.

Since winning the massive prize, he purchased a BMW M3 and plans to go on a golf trip to Ireland.  He also donated $50,000 to two local charities — Herndon-Reston FISH Inc. and the Herndon Optimist Club.

McCarthy is a Penn State graduate, and had twice won $1,000 prizes from scratch-offs in the past.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

gocart1's avatargocart1

So could we say money goes to money...

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

Me thinks this wasn't just a "whim"....Considering the fact he's won $1,000 twice in the past tells me he plays quite a bit. I'm willing to bet this guy plays more than just on a "whim".

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Oh well ........................................... Bang Head

RJOh's avatarRJOh

This just proves lotteries are not a tax on just the poor and uneducated, they'll take anybody money.

dk1421's avatardk1421

It just goes to show that anyone who buys a ticket can win. Anyone.

I'm just questioning when it's my turn?!

mamamary517's avatarmamamary517

This just isn't right....bad enough I can't hit....at least when someone who needs it does I don't feel so bad, but this?  I am sickSad

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Congrats to the new millionaire. Dance

LOL...he's not a "new" millionaire...just has more millions to count!

ereader

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Sep 10, 2011

This just proves lotteries are not a tax on just the poor and uneducated, they'll take anybody money.

Yes, your post proves that even an uneducated person like yourself, who does not know how to write (spell or edit) could have their money taken too.  LOL.

Boney526's avatarBoney526

Quote: Originally posted by mamamary517 on Sep 10, 2011

LOL...he's not a "new" millionaire...just has more millions to count!

Tired of this mentality.

He took a risk with his dollar or 5 dollars or whatever, he was probably going to lose and he won.

He's just as entitled to claim his prize as you would be, just because he was already well off (I seriously doubt he was a mult-millionaire just because his dad earns 1.2 million a year) doesn't mean he shouldn't win.  The game's all random, so anybody who buys a ticket has the same chance, just like it should be, and so out all of these rich people, who win on occasion, also contribute to the growth of the JP, probably more, becuase they can play more, every once in a while, one will win.

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Quote: Originally posted by B$Rizzle on Sep 10, 2011

Me thinks this wasn't just a "whim"....Considering the fact he's won $1,000 twice in the past tells me he plays quite a bit. I'm willing to bet this guy plays more than just on a "whim".

I Agree! ditto that

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

Quote: Originally posted by ereader on Sep 10, 2011

Yes, your post proves that even an uneducated person like yourself, who does not know how to write (spell or edit) could have their money taken too.  LOL.

Who hired you as an English consultant to come on here and put someone down.?

You've got one post thus far and you come to this forum to say that another person is uneducated ?

you say; 

"Yes, your post proves that even an uneducated person like yourself, who does not know how to write (spell or edit) could have their money taken too.  LOL."

Your "pen" name should read Eraser, instead of Ereader.

Welcome to LP Chancellor...!

ereader

Please.  Get a grip or a sense of humor.  Counting peoples postings is silly.  Honestly, you just sound petty.

If you cannot take the heat of an honest reply, simply don't post. 

(Note:  Honestly, if I charged you my standard consultant's fee, you'd probably need some lottery winnings of your own to pay for it.  LOL)

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

AMazing how some of the comments are either "me" sided , begrudging the winner or "assuming" things about the winner that have yet to be validated.

Keep it simple, a ticket was bought, claimed and the winner has the money now. To judge them and say whether they "deserve" it is irrelevant. THey got it , played by the rules, and claimed. Is there a Lottery rule book that says " Only deserving players get to claim the money? Please fill out a ten page non-sensical form to be reviewed by a panel of monkeys who will then send you a card saying you qualify as deserving" Bet half of us would be denied under those monkey rulings .

The only ire that needs relayed is the fact that Uncle Sam who didnt play gets 35% right off the bat, yet we still remain in debt! Free money to the govt and we still scratch our heads wondering where is this money going?

Todd's avatarTodd

Please.  Get a grip or a sense of humor.  Counting peoples postings is silly.  Honestly, you just sound petty.

(Note:  Honestly, if I charged you my standard consultant's fee, you'd probably need some lottery winnings of your own to pay for it.  LOL)

What, is "LOL" some kind of period on the sentence or something?

ereader

Love it.  You are so right!

Todd's avatarTodd

Love it.  You are so right!

LOL  Wink

1. Got a good sense of humor wing nut, your amount of post are there for everyone to see polly.

2. Take your honesty and stick it where the "Sun" never shines.!

3. I speak more honesty, than you've got in that parrot beak of yours..!

Your consultan's fee isn't worth the paper I wipe with. About the only thing your capable of consulting  is how many dirigidables their are in whale secreation proffessor...!

Oh by the way "preppy", how many times were you dropped on the road to recovery?

TheRightPrice

I prefer to read Rags to Riches stories.

Riches to Riches stories are depressing.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by TheRightPrice on Sep 10, 2011

I Agree!

Quote: Originally posted by Boney526 on Sep 10, 2011

Tired of this mentality.

He took a risk with his dollar or 5 dollars or whatever, he was probably going to lose and he won.

He's just as entitled to claim his prize as you would be, just because he was already well off (I seriously doubt he was a mult-millionaire just because his dad earns 1.2 million a year) doesn't mean he shouldn't win.  The game's all random, so anybody who buys a ticket has the same chance, just like it should be, and so out all of these rich people, who win on occasion, also contribute to the growth of the JP, probably more, becuase they can play more, every once in a while, one will win.

It isn't a "mentality" it is a fact, the guy is already a millionaire.

ereader

Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on Sep 10, 2011

Oh by the way "preppy", how many times were you dropped on the road to recovery?

Please, no more of this insular, trivial banter of yours. You are simply not worth the effort.

I prefer to exchange thoughts with people who are capable of following along and not performing internet trolling (attacking) on people who offer honest and reflective posts.

(Note: Thanks for the compliment. I am not a “preppy,” but would be proud to be one! LOL)

Good day to you.

Boney526's avatarBoney526

Quote: Originally posted by mamamary517 on Sep 10, 2011

It isn't a "mentality" it is a fact, the guy is already a millionaire.

The mentality I spoke of is that he doesn't deserve it, but other people do.  What makes him *not deserve it*?  This is a free country, and he knowingly bought a ticket that gave him a chance to win millions.  And it's not a fact that he's a millionaire, at least this article doesn't state that, it states that his father is a millionaire, at least that's what I read.

If you think we shouldn't give him his money, do you think we should refund all his plays, as well?  I'm tired of the mentaility that it's not "fair" that someone who is well of can win the lottery, when in fact, it is fair, because he played a ticket, and had the same *chance* to win as anybody else who played the same amount of tickets.

It's a flawed mentality.  The Lottery isn't about deserving to win, it's about the chance to win.  Anybody who plays is equally likely to win on any line they buy.  Everyone who doesn't win contributes to the Jackpot.  So if he doesn't *deserve* his win (which is just nonsense, nobody actually dererves to win the Lottery, but somebody eventually does) does he *deserve* to be refunded his losses?  Do we?  Do I *deserve* to win because I'm not a millionaire?

The answer is no.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Too many people no longer understand that whenever a "rich" man spends money on a new fancy car, house, yacht, country club membership, fur coat for his flavor of the month, etc., he provides directly or indirectly a job and payment to the non-rich man who provided the service or built the finished product.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Please, no more of this insular, trivial banter of yours. You are simply not worth the effort.

I prefer to exchange thoughts with people who are capable of following along and not performing internet trolling (attacking) on people who offer honest and reflective posts.

(Note: Thanks for the compliment. I am not a “preppy,” but would be proud to be one! LOL)

Good day to you.

I prefer to exchange thoughts with people who are capable of following along....

Why would anyone on a lottery website want to exchange thoughts with you?  So far you haven't mentioned anything about lotteries.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

You might consider getting a grip yourself.

Maddog was simply expressing the sentiments of many members when you attacked and maligned a respected, long term member as being uneducated in your very first post. RJOh is the #9 member here and has been here over 10 years and Maddog has been here a long time as well.

They are both friendly and helpful to other members.

This isn't the Rant and Rave section of Craigslist where you just come in and start insulting everybody and go on about your business anonymously and if you think it is, you won't be around long.

You need to learn about respect because it's clear your daddy didn't teach you to have any.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Gosh oh gee...If Todd banned us for making mistakes in our spelling 90% wouldn't be here...Gosh oh gee...LOL)LOL)LOL).......

ereader

Sorry you’re not able to follow along either. Subtly does not seem to be one of your strong suits. I have made comments regarding lotteries, many times in fact, and I have received nice replies to my comments. Just not with the two of you who read-like internet trolls.

To be honest I just could not resist commenting on your unintentional hypocrisy. But thank you for the complete sentences and correct spellings this time. It certainly would have been a nice touch when you were initially making snarky comments about the “poor and uneducated.” (Do you see any humor in that post of yours? LOL Never mind.)

There really are some interesting people and posts here that I actually enjoy reading and conversing with. So, with that in mind good day to you too.

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the Lucky Guy.

ereader

Hear, hear.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Sorry you’re not able to follow along either. Subtly does not seem to be one of your strong suits. I have made comments regarding lotteries, many times in fact, and I have received nice replies to my comments. Just not with the two of you who read-like internet trolls.

To be honest I just could not resist commenting on your unintentional hypocrisy. But thank you for the complete sentences and correct spellings this time. It certainly would have been a nice touch when you were initially making snarky comments about the “poor and uneducated.” (Do you see any humor in that post of yours? LOL Never mind.)

There really are some interesting people and posts here that I actually enjoy reading and conversing with. So, with that in mind good day to you too.

It's a little tedious to figure out who you're addressing when you don't reference their posts, especially if it's multiple members. Try to keep up.

You said:

"...thank you for the complete sentences and correct spellings this time."

So as long as you're doing a critique on someone else's sentence structure and spelling, I will assume that you would appreciate the same.

On that note, here's your second sentence:  "Subtly does not seem to be one of your strong suits."

As you can see, you spelled the word "subtlety" wrong. Your spelling "subtly" makes the word an adverb where a noun (subtlety) is required.

Try to keep in mind that no one likes being lectured on proper sentence structure and spelling by someone who isn't capable of it themselves.

Thanks ever so much.

Good day to you.

And good day to you also.

Oh, by the way would you like to have some  cheese and crumpets to go along with your whine Professor ?

Or maybe a bloody spot of tea to sooth your ails ?

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I have made comments regarding lotteries, many times in fact, and I have received nice replies to my comments.

How did you make these comments if you were not a member before today?  I thought I recognized your style of writing as one I've seen before and you didn't have any thoughts worth sharing then either.  You're obviously an Internet troll who like putting others down and being untraceable by posting using different names.

You say:

"Sorry you’re not able to follow along either. Subtly does not seem to be one of your strong suits. I have made comments regarding lotteries, many times in fact, and I have received nice replies to my comments. Just not with the two of you who read-like internet trolls."

Aw geewiz Chancellor,

I counted the toes on my left toe and still see you've only got six post, and i see in your statement  " I have made comments regarding lotteries, many times in fact, and I have received nice replies to my comments. Just not with the two of you who read-like internet trolls."

Now if my calculations are correct and I look back over this forum, with whom did you make comments to and received nice replies from?  PINKY?, or should we call you the TROLL??

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Sep 10, 2011

So could we say money goes to money...

2) HE PLAYED LESS OFTEN FOR MORE LINES. LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT=HE PLAYED 5 LINES QUICK PICK TO WIN A $107 MILLIONS MEGA MILLIONS JACKPOT.GREAT RETURN ON A $5 dollars INVESTMENT.https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/234945/2160879

PLAYED 5 LINES QUICK PICK

lotsofwins's avatarlotsofwins

Why is he any less deserving than someone who didn't come from money?

Benefits of winning a jackpot like that when you already are around alot of money...

Your less likely to go bankrupt in five years because you didn't go crazy spending it like there is no tomorrow...

Your more likely to capitalize on that money....ie investing in your own business, which would bring in a steady stream of income

Your more likely to contribute to charity and those in need because your used to people and companies asking for handouts

Secondly, I agree with another post that said that he wasn't the millionaire before his win, his dad was....I'm sure there are lots of strings attached for the son to be able to even touch any of that money...

Also this is just an assumption on my part, but he apparently has some work ethic, ie he was the manager of a Pepsi company, which makes me again believe that there are lots of strings for him to even touch any of his dad's money...

I always enjoy reading the Jackpot winner's stories, they all have alot of diversity from the winner before them:-)

I'm very grateful that we all live in a country where millions are won and shared almost every week, how cool is that???

Quote: Originally posted by lotsofwins on Sep 10, 2011

Benefits of winning a jackpot like that when you already are around alot of money...

Your less likely to go bankrupt in five years because you didn't go crazy spending it like there is no tomorrow...

Your more likely to capitalize on that money....ie investing in your own business, which would bring in a steady stream of income

Your more likely to contribute to charity and those in need because your used to people and companies asking for handouts

Secondly, I agree with another post that said that he wasn't the millionaire before his win, his dad was....I'm sure there are lots of strings attached for the son to be able to even touch any of that money...

Also this is just an assumption on my part, but he apparently has some work ethic, ie he was the manager of a Pepsi company, which makes me again believe that there are lots of strings for him to even touch any of his dad's money...

I always enjoy reading the Jackpot winner's stories, they all have alot of diversity from the winner before them:-)

I'm very grateful that we all live in a country where millions are won and shared almost every week, how cool is that???

Very well put Lotsofwins, very well put indeed....!!

And very cool also.!

ereader

Actually thanks.  I missed the error.  I have no problem being corrected.

I am glad you got some use of your dictionary.

Whew, for a while there I was begining to think you couldn't get your foot out of your arse,

(I mean ) mouth, or that maybe you were waiting for someone to yell SWITCH.

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

sully16's avatarsully16

Megathinktank? is that you ?

ereader

LOL You people are hysterical. But rdgrnr exactly who or what are you defending? And then why are you defending it or them? It seems like you stepped into the middle of something you were not following with a lot of pompous fortitudes.

Proper use of spelling, grammar and punctuation usage should not threaten, nor insult, anyone. The entire purpose of such is clarity. Clarity in both the communication itself and the ideas.

With those thoughts in mind, re-read who said what to whom.  Look at when and where these comments were made. Read who is ranting and who is doing the name calling, I have done neither. (You might want to check out your own post too.) 

These “big fish in a small pond” antics and socioeconomic jabs are ridiculous. One; your historical quantification of individual’s postings. As far as I can tell, this is not a “private” group; if so Yahoo groups might better serve your personal diatribes. And two; the interesting comment on providing “support.” What kind of support is needed in a lottery forum, financial aid? That was part of what I was referring to in getting a grip. Finally, I followed the posting rules. I see no evidence of “respect” in your post. So go beat up someone else. I am having none of your brand of school yard bullying. My opinions and thoughts are as valid as anyone else posting here.

As fun as it is hearing from those with a chip-on-their-shoulder, I live in the real world and am off to dinner with friends. Have a good night.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatarMzDuffleBaglady

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Good Luck$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Party

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$107Million$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Must be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Everyone!

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

Wow, Brian McCarthy,the son of Robert McCarthy,President of the Marriott Hotels.It could have been an illegal alien winning that $107 million.Thank god it wasn't . Yes Nod

LOL You people are hysterical. But rdgrnr exactly who or what are you defending? And then why are you defending it or them? It seems like you stepped into the middle of something you were not following with a lot of pompous fortitudes.

Proper use of spelling, grammar and punctuation usage should not threaten, nor insult, anyone. The entire purpose of such is clarity. Clarity in both the communication itself and the ideas.

With those thoughts in mind, re-read who said what to whom.  Look at when and where these comments were made. Read who is ranting and who is doing the name calling, I have done neither. (You might want to check out your own post too.) 

These “big fish in a small pond” antics and socioeconomic jabs are ridiculous. One; your historical quantification of individual’s postings. As far as I can tell, this is not a “private” group; if so Yahoo groups might better serve your personal diatribes. And two; the interesting comment on providing “support.” What kind of support is needed in a lottery forum, financial aid? That was part of what I was referring to in getting a grip. Finally, I followed the posting rules. I see no evidence of “respect” in your post. So go beat up someone else. I am having none of your brand of school yard bullying. My opinions and thoughts are as valid as anyone else posting here.

As fun as it is hearing from those with a chip-on-their-shoulder, I live in the real world and am off to dinner with friends. Have a good night.

Professor, Just in case you haven't noticed this isn't an English class, It's LotteryPost wing nut. We don't sit back and critisize what other people post, only trolls do that..!

Off to dinner with friends are you? Whats for dinner Swampweed? Happy trolling and enjoy your meal, I 've heard shrooms are good also this time of year..! 

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Sep 10, 2011

Megathinktank? is that you ?

Whoever it is is gone.  I'm tired of nasty people like that who sign up here just to argue and demean people.

dr65's avatardr65

May you return with a nice case of heartburn and indigestion. You are just another trolling, trouble-

maker who casts out a line and waits for a bite. Your first post was insulting. RJOh doesn't need to take

offense to your silly reply because, like tiggs said...if writing skills and correct spelling were requirements

to remain posters here, 3/4 of us would be gone...maybe more. I've made many mistakes and come

across sounding corny because I missed an 's' or didn't use the proper sense of a word or just flat

out spelled something wrong. It happens here and anywhere else posting is done. You either let it go

or correct it in your own mind as you read along and leave it at that.

I don't recall you adding anything about the new, young millionaire...maybe you can get back in the

groove, behave and become a plus instead of a puss.

I'm happy for the winner. Whether he was well off or poor, his life changed as dramatically as anyone

else who wins such a large amount of money. I hope he enjoys himself.

*sully, you think it's stink-tank?

LOL

CashWinner$

Quote: Originally posted by MzDuffleBaglady on Sep 10, 2011

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Good Luck$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Party

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$107Million$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Must be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Everyone!

Hey, I really like this! Looks Awesome!

And I agree 100%..... 

&

Good Luck Everyone!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

"I live in the real world and am off to dinner with friends."

Yes, I see where you'll be dining with your friends tonight too:  The Land of No Avatar Bar and Grill.    Thumbs Up

It's a shame you couldn't stay longer.

I wanted to ask you if your name was Nancy.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Sep 10, 2011

Whoever it is is gone.  I'm tired of nasty people like that who sign up here just to argue and demean people.

Trolls need love too ......... problem is no one can stand them

so what else R they supposed to do ???

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

now we know why granma whs so casual when he told her he won.

"granma i won the lottery"

"thats nice dear,would you like a grill cheese sandwich ? "

or some such.

dearsha

~hold on pepole our day will come~~ power ball tonightSmiley

GYM RICE

Good to see a young educated person win a big jackpot.  With his kind of connections, it's a good bet that he will put that money to work and most likely have a good chance at putting other people to work with a business of some sort in the future.

And if i'm not mistaken, he isn't a millionaire. His father is.

jackpotismine's avatarjackpotismine

Quote: Originally posted by dk1421 on Sep 10, 2011

It just goes to show that anyone who buys a ticket can win. Anyone.

I'm just questioning when it's my turn?!

I Agree!

pepper1's avatarpepper1

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Sep 10, 2011

May you return with a nice case of heartburn and indigestion. You are just another trolling, trouble-

maker who casts out a line and waits for a bite. Your first post was insulting. RJOh doesn't need to take

offense to your silly reply because, like tiggs said...if writing skills and correct spelling were requirements

to remain posters here, 3/4 of us would be gone...maybe more. I've made many mistakes and come

across sounding corny because I missed an 's' or didn't use the proper sense of a word or just flat

out spelled something wrong. It happens here and anywhere else posting is done. You either let it go

or correct it in your own mind as you read along and leave it at that.

I don't recall you adding anything about the new, young millionaire...maybe you can get back in the

groove, behave and become a plus instead of a puss.

I'm happy for the winner. Whether he was well off or poor, his life changed as dramatically as anyone

else who wins such a large amount of money. I hope he enjoys himself.

*sully, you think it's stink-tank?

LOL

He understood it all are else he wouldn't responded. I wish it would have being me with the big win.

grwurston's avatargrwurston

Congratulations to him. He took a chance just like the rest of us. Do not say he doesn't deserve it. Remember, someone poorer than you may say the same thing if you should win.  Good Luck!!!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by grwurston on Sep 10, 2011

Congratulations to him. He took a chance just like the rest of us. Do not say he doesn't deserve it. Remember, someone poorer than you may say the same thing if you should win.  Good Luck!!!

Well you cain't get much poorer than me.

Hell, my short ribs are pokin' through my carcass now.

grwurston's avatargrwurston

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Sep 10, 2011

Time to ease off on the ole diet.

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Can you imagine if Bill Gates won a Mega Millions Jackpot?

BREAKING NEWS: Bill Gates won 380 Millions Mega Millions Jackpot.

solomonjohnson

Why not be "The Clever Giver" like Solomon Johnson The Clever Giver and give the entire jackpot winnings ticket away to charity not just $50,000. Thats not even 10 percent or tithe! Why not give the entire amount to the Fire Victims? or Give it the way DBA SOLOMON JOHNSON THE CLEVER GIVER  gives winning tickets away!??? or even Iraqi Dinar? Google Solomon Johnson the Clever Giver and read all about it!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by solomonjohnson on Sep 10, 2011

Why not be "The Clever Giver" like Solomon Johnson The Clever Giver and give the entire jackpot winnings ticket away to charity not just $50,000. Thats not even 10 percent or tithe! Why not give the entire amount to the Fire Victims? or Give it the way DBA SOLOMON JOHNSON THE CLEVER GIVER  gives winning tickets away!??? or even Iraqi Dinar? Google Solomon Johnson the Clever Giver and read all about it!

I understand why a person who buys lottery tickets and wins accepts the jackpot and gives some of it to charity.  Asking why he didn't give it all away sounds like a silly question to me.

imagine's avatarimagine

In reality his dad makes a lot more with stock options, bonuses and use of jets.

Bottom line you have to be in it to win it.

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by pepper1 on Sep 10, 2011

He understood it all are else he wouldn't responded. I wish it would have being me with the big win.

Yeah, that's what those kinds do..they're pretty good at it.

Wow, I'd really have to think about what to do with that winning ticket..imagine. First thought would

be wowie! let me get my money! but then what? Hide out? Live it up? $68 million is a lot of money

to think about. I don't need that much, that's a nightmare amount.

thePharaoh's avatarthePharaoh

this guy is somehow blessed

lotsofwins's avatarlotsofwins

If everyone is going to keep posting about millionaires who don't deserve to win the huge jackpots at least post some who don't truly deserve it.....Bill Gates is at the bottom of my list, just read his life story if you don't believe me, it's incredible....How many of us have at least used Microsoft products at least once? Not only that but he contributes alot to charity....just for a comparison 2 people who automatically pop into my head as no talent hacks who don't deserve their millions...

Kim Kardashian

Paris Hilton

How are they making this world a better place??????

Starr920

His father earns a million dollar salary but that doesn't mean the money trickles down to Mr. McCarthy.  He was working a full time job, bought a ticket, took a chance, and won big time!   I remember reading Jennifer Lopez' mother won over $2 million on a slot machine a few years back.  Did she not deserve to win because her daughter is a multi-millionaire?   The lottery is no respecter of person - rich or poor -  it's all about putting your money down and taking a chance you'll come out a winner.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by GYM RICE on Sep 10, 2011

Good to see a young educated person win a big jackpot.  With his kind of connections, it's a good bet that he will put that money to work and most likely have a good chance at putting other people to work with a business of some sort in the future.

I Agree!

Excellent points, I couldn't agree more, nicely done.

GiveFive's avatarGiveFive

Most people dont realize it, but wealthy people do play the lottery.  And, they spend more money playing than most people do, simply because they can afford to do it.  I'm aware of a deli located in an affluent part of The State of New York where the owner displays an unusually large amount of signs boasting very large sums of money won by his customers.  That same owner will tell you that most of those winners were some of the area's very well off residents. 

IMHO, they play not because they need the money, but because they want more money than they have now. That begs the question of "How much money is enough when you already have a lot of money", which is a question I cant determine an answer to.  But the rich do understand what it's like to have a lot of money, and whether we like it or not, some rich people want more money than they currently have. That mindset isnt all that uncommon. Call it greed, call it whatever you like, but it's very common.  Fortune 500 corporate exec's are always looking for this years pay package to be better than last years.  And the year-end bonus?  Oh yeah, they want that too.  And they wont turn it down or give it back, even if the company they lead lost money. The bar is never raised for them, usually it's lowered.   

As far as anyone "deserving" to win a Jackpot goes, no one on the face of this earth "deserves" to win a lottery jackpot. The fact that the guy comes from a well off family has nothing to do with anything! His money is the same as yours when it come to buying a lottery ticket.  His money is no better than yours, nor is it any worse.  And the odds of him winning that jackpot are the same as yours.  His winning is neither "fair" nor "unfair".  He simply won.  Does he need it?  No!  But I can assure you he's glad he won!

Just to continue my rant a little further...

I know we all prefer to read a rags to riches (as opposed to a riches to riches) story when it comes to a lottery Jackpot winner.  But are people who have been poor all their lives really prepared to handle a multi-million dollar win?  Are they intelligent enough to consult the team of professionals they're going to need so as to be able to live well, and more importantly, keep their winnings?  Sadly, Abraham Shakepeare wasnt.  There's a reason why there's a show on TV called The Curse of The Lottery.

Please dont get me wrong. I'm not saying only the rich should win the lottery because they usually know how to manage having a lot of money.  But it does take a lot of smarts to handle that kind of money, if ya wanna keep it.

ConstantlyB's avatarConstantlyB

congrats to the young man...

imagine's avatarimagine

Quote: Originally posted by GiveFive on Sep 11, 2011

Just to continue my rant a little further...

I know we all prefer to read a rags to riches (as opposed to a riches to riches) story when it comes to a lottery Jackpot winner.  But are people who have been poor all their lives really prepared to handle a multi-million dollar win?  Are they intelligent enough to consult the team of professionals they're going to need so as to be able to live well, and more importantly, keep their winnings?  Sadly, Abraham Shakepeare wasnt.  There's a reason why there's a show on TV called The Curse of The Lottery.

Please dont get me wrong. I'm not saying only the rich should win the lottery because they usually know how to manage having a lot of money.  But it does take a lot of smarts to handle that kind of money, if ya wanna keep it.

Jack Whittaker was rich before the win.

David Lee Edwards had a great team of professionals.

Rich or poor, save it or blow it, who ever has the ticket deserves it

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

US FlagI'm still going to say congrat's to Brian McCarthy again on his win . It doesn't matter that his father is the President of the Marriott hotel it nice but it is Brian's moment right now he purchased the winning ticket. I've looked at four different states lottery tickets now there seem to be only two real rules you have to be at least 18 year old to play and you must claim the winning within a 180 day after the winning date. So the winner could be you or I , millionaire's child and even a illegal alien as long as you meet the requirements on the tickets. The money the same and the taxes too!

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Don't forget the already millionaire Doctor in FL who won a huge jackpot.  If you play you can win.  Rich, poor or middle class (oh wait, there's no middle class left...lol)

TheRightPrice

Quote: Originally posted by BuyLow on Sep 11, 2011

Don't forget the already millionaire Doctor in FL who won a huge jackpot.  If you play you can win.  Rich, poor or middle class (oh wait, there's no middle class left...lol)

Hi there,

About a year ago my car broke down (in Orlando) and I was in the mechanic shop and the mechanic and I were talking Lotto, and he mentioned the same thing. How come did this Doctor win, when ordinary folk like you and me don't?

Anyways this guy is not the first Doctor to win the Lotto.

There's this Doctor in Miami who won 54 million and her co-workers Hated her for it. She bought QP.

And there's another Doctor who won $81.5 million in Mega Millions.

I prefer to hear Rags to Riches stories myself instead of Riches to Riches.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, that's what those kinds do..they're pretty good at it.

Wow, I'd really have to think about what to do with that winning ticket..imagine. First thought would

be wowie! let me get my money! but then what? Hide out? Live it up? $68 million is a lot of money

to think about. I don't need that much, that's a nightmare amount.

Actually, this big lottery jackpot winner will be receiving less than the initial $68M, after the 45% income taxes paid off. 

Anyhow, still a great multi-million dollar sum though.  Congratulations young man, whether you've been playing $5 twice a week for one year or seven years ... now you've won those net multi-millions!  Now this young man can quit his job as an account manager for Pepsi and retire to a different, way less stressful, Ms-Fs daily schedule.

White Bounce

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Sep 10, 2011

May we each receive our net multi-million dollar win soon then!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Sep 11, 2011

Actually, this big lottery jackpot winner will be receiving less than the initial $68M, after the 45% income taxes paid off. 

Anyhow, still a great multi-million dollar sum though.  Congratulations young man, whether you've been playing $5 twice a week for one year or seven years ... now you've won those net multi-millions!  Now this young man can quit his job as an account manager for Pepsi and retire to a different, way less stressful, Ms-Fs daily schedule.

White Bounce

You only pay 35% taxes if you live in a State like Pennsylvania that doesn't tax lottery winnings !!

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congrats to the winner......

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by TheRightPrice on Sep 11, 2011

Hi there,

About a year ago my car broke down (in Orlando) and I was in the mechanic shop and the mechanic and I were talking Lotto, and he mentioned the same thing. How come did this Doctor win, when ordinary folk like you and me don't?

Anyways this guy is not the first Doctor to win the Lotto.

There's this Doctor in Miami who won 54 million and her co-workers Hated her for it. She bought QP.

And there's another Doctor who won $81.5 million in Mega Millions.

I prefer to hear Rags to Riches stories myself instead of Riches to Riches.

It all averages out, Price.

Whoever buys the most tickets is going to have the most winners.

And just think how much smaller the pots would be without all those rich guys buying tickets.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Someone 25 years old hits and earns 1.2 mil a year..tiggs is thinking he's set for life..At tiggs and ridges age if they win 100.00 bucks they'd be set for life...Good for the 25 year old...

Quote: Originally posted by imagine on Sep 11, 2011

Jack Whittaker was rich before the win.

David Lee Edwards had a great team of professionals.

Rich or poor, save it or blow it, who ever has the ticket deserves it

While I'm not too sure if you're agreeing with me, or if you dont agree;

Jack Whittaker was rich before the win.... True enough!... But your point goes to what I said in my first post, which is the well off play the lottery just like the not so well off.  Except they play it with larger amounts of money than us po folks!

I aint got a clue who David Lee Edwards is/was, (maybe I do, if he's that guy I saw on The Curse of The Lottery that won it all and blew it all) but good for him in that he had a great team of professionals around him.  But if he didnt know enough to listen to them, and he blew it all, then he's an idiot that absolutely "deserved" what happened to him.  But I'm sure it was fun while it was happenin' though! 

Rich or poor, save it or blow it, who ever has the winning ticket didnt "deserve" a thing.  They simply won.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by GiveFive on Sep 12, 2011

While I'm not too sure if you're agreeing with me, or if you dont agree;

Jack Whittaker was rich before the win.... True enough!... But your point goes to what I said in my first post, which is the well off play the lottery just like the not so well off.  Except they play it with larger amounts of money than us po folks!

I aint got a clue who David Lee Edwards is/was, (maybe I do, if he's that guy I saw on The Curse of The Lottery that won it all and blew it all) but good for him in that he had a great team of professionals around him.  But if he didnt know enough to listen to them, and he blew it all, then he's an idiot that absolutely "deserved" what happened to him.  But I'm sure it was fun while it was happenin' though! 

Rich or poor, save it or blow it, who ever has the winning ticket didnt "deserve" a thing.  They simply won.

Yes, David was the guy who wound up living in a storage locker.

He was from Kentucky if I recall correctly.

Which makes perfect sense if you think about it.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Sep 12, 2011

Yes, David was the guy who wound up living in a storage locker.

He was from Kentucky if I recall correctly.

Which makes perfect sense if you think about it.

tiggs is living in Ky???..tiggs is thinking about it and will get back after he figures out what you meant...Oooooh Brain!!!..

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Sep 12, 2011

Someone 25 years old hits and earns 1.2 mil a year..tiggs is thinking he's set for life..At tiggs and ridges age if they win 100.00 bucks they'd be set for life...Good for the 25 year old...

The 25 yr old winner was not earning 1.2 mil a year as a Pepsi Co manager. His dad works for Marriott and earns the millions. More than likely the kid, if a manager at Pepsi Co is a route manager driving a pepsi truck. Lots of kids fresh out of college with a business management degree get jobs like this. I'm not sure what the pay is, but I'm pretty sure it's closer to $50k than to 1.2 mil.

First, I'll say congrats to the kid's dad for making him learn to earn his way despite the millions at Mommy's and Daddy's bank.

Second, I'll say congrats to the kid on your lucky win, now go thank your Daddy for raising you right by making that money work for you.

White Bounce

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Ok...They worded it wrong and to someone dumb like tiggs.Next time tiggs will read it real slow...Thanks for correcting tiggs...tiggs is out..

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Congratulations to the Mega Millions Jackpot winner. That was a California Super Lotto Plus pick right there.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Sep 13, 2011

Ok...They worded it wrong and to someone dumb like tiggs.Next time tiggs will read it real slow...Thanks for correcting tiggs...tiggs is out..

Group Hug   Lovies

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Sep 13, 2011

Group Hug   Lovies

Don't be nice to tiggs, Piaceri.

He'll never go away.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Sep 13, 2011

Group Hug   Lovies

Thank you Piaceri...Lovies ...Eat your heart out ridge..!!!!...Clown <<<<----------------------ridge..

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

The lottery don't know his dad is the president of Marriott.

NoShame's avatarNoShame

This is getting on my nerves...I mean the complaints.  Too many trolls complaining about how it's always the rich white person that wins these lotteries.  Uh...yeah...as if the Lottery Commission has some magic means to determine your race, gender, age, income, and all of that when all lottery games have to be PAID WITH CASH!  I mean seriously, it's called random because it means ANYONE has a chance of winning.  Chances are if the winner was a rich person, it's because they could afford to play the game to begin with.  Anyone thought by that logic?  Sure there are plenty of low income people who play but they would have just enough money to play a game or two for the most part.  Either that or they just don't care.  I'm more in the latter category here.  Maybe it's not the fairest way go to about but that's why they always say "you gotta play to win" whether you can afford it or not.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Sep 13, 2011

Don't be nice to tiggs, Piaceri.

He'll never go away.

I keep getting told I'm a nice lady.  Someday I'm gonna change that. Oogle

Simba774

So another Jack Whittaker. I'm not saying he's going to lose it all like Jack did, I'm just saying Jack was also already rich when he won. I remember a doctor featured on "The Lottery Changed My Life" talking about how she received death treats because she was already wealthy when she won. She said she cannot change what happened. She just happened to be lucky enough to have the winning ticket. I agree with her. It is what it is. I'm sure most of us want to have the winning ticket in our hands, especially if we're not rich, but fact of the matter is, we're all NOT going to have the winning ticket in our hands. And if we all did, there would be no reason to play the lottery. You cannot retire off of 5 dollars.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by TheRightPrice on Sep 10, 2011

I thought riches to rags was depressing. Silly me.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by lotsofwins on Sep 10, 2011

The stuff you listed is not things only already wealthy people do.  A lot of people who are rich now were poor once upon a time.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by GYM RICE on Sep 10, 2011

So according to you everyone who has ever started a business was born rich? LOL

imash85

Good for him.

Instyle's avatarInstyle

I have one question!

Why do people who don't need the money play the lottery???? That erks me to no end, and, while I'm venting, this is the other thing that erks me.  When someone win a big lottery amount and the media and whoever ask what r ur plans for the money, and the reponse is "I don't know i haven't thought about",  .....uh......  did why do you play.

uhhhhhhhh!  ok., had to vent. 

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Instyle on Sep 19, 2011

I have one question!

Why do people who don't need the money play the lottery???? That erks me to no end, and, while I'm venting, this is the other thing that erks me.  When someone win a big lottery amount and the media and whoever ask what r ur plans for the money, and the reponse is "I don't know i haven't thought about",  .....uh......  did why do you play.

I have one question!

But you asked two questions!

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Sep 19, 2011

I have one question!

But you asked two questions!

Sharp baby sharp...ppppfffffffffffff...

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by Instyle on Sep 19, 2011

I have one question!

Why not? It's a gamble. The urge to gamble does not lesson with the accumulation of money.  Nor does the lottery ticket machine check your bank accounts before it prints you a ticket. 

Besides, who is to judge who needs the money and who doesn't? You? LOL. It erks me to no end when people think they can judge who is deserving or not when the lottery is won.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story