Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Documentary

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Nino224.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
Miami, FLA
United States
Member #62793
July 9, 2008
680 Posts
Posted: November 15, 2011, 8:16 am - IP Logged

There's a great documentary on DVD called Lucky that follows a group of jackpot winners from across the country for a year. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Lost friendships, divorce, bankruptcy, attempted murder, and everything in between. It reinforces what I've always said I'll do if and when I hit: DON'T TELL ANYONE!

The best epilogue was of the story of Quan Dao, the Vietnamese refugee that won 245 mm with his ConAgra coworkers. His 22 mill built a neighborhood for 50 of his relatives to live next to each other, as well as gas stations and apartment complexes for his kids to manage  for themselves. Then he went Vietnam to help the relatives they'd left behind who lived in poverty.

It ironic that the immigrant who barely speaks English has a better grasp of the meaning of the American dream than some of the other winners.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

olplugger's avatar - moon2
    Mechanicsville, VA
    United States
    Member #84145
    December 23, 2009
    1523 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2011, 8:23 am - IP Logged

There's a great documentary on DVD called Lucky that follows a group of jackpot winners from across the country for a year. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Lost friendships, divorce, bankruptcy, attempted murder, and everything in between. It reinforces what I've always said I'll do if and when I hit: DON'T TELL ANYONE!

The best epilogue was of the story of Quan Dao, the Vietnamese refugee that won 245 mm with his ConAgra coworkers. His 22 mill built a neighborhood for 50 of his relatives to live next to each other, as well as gas stations and apartment complexes for his kids to manage  for themselves. Then he went Vietnam to help the relatives they'd left behind who lived in poverty.

It ironic that the immigrant who barely speaks English has a better grasp of the meaning of the American dream than some of the other winners.

Thanks for the post nino!  Great advice...Don't Tell Anyone!

"Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill, Author of "Think & Grow Rich"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: November 15, 2011, 10:15 am - IP Logged

"It ironic that the immigrant who barely speaks English has a better grasp of the meaning of the American dream than some of the other winners."

He didn't grow up with the agenda-driven mainstream news media and education system that has brainwashed the last couple of generations in this country.

American values are being done away with.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Miami, FLA
        United States
        Member #62793
        July 9, 2008
        680 Posts
        Posted: November 18, 2011, 12:20 am - IP Logged

Robert Uomini is a mathematician who won 22 mill in the CA lottery in 1995. He says that he played qp's at first, but that he didn't like the numbers. He says they weren't "random enough," so he did some research on the four different electrical frequencies the brain generates: Alpha, Beta, Delta, and Theta. Theta waves are linked to concentration and creativity.

He says he began experimenting to make his Theta rythm dominant. One day, he's in a store, grabs a lotto slip and goes,

"...into this Theta thing. All of a sudden I had this funny depth perception. I felt like I was in the back of a train in a tunnel and everything was racing away from me. And all of a sudden, numbers start coming into my head. And I didn't think about the numbers, I just wrote them down. I used that same ticket for two and half years, and then I won."

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

United States
          Member #94616
          July 24, 2010
          4735 Posts
          Posted: November 18, 2011, 5:01 am - IP Logged

"It ironic that the immigrant who barely speaks English has a better grasp of the meaning of the American dream than some of the other winners."

He didn't grow up with the agenda-driven mainstream news media and education system that has brainwashed the last couple of generations in this country.

American values are being done away with.

yes I agree!! 

Remember Sat 26th is BUY SMALL DAY!! Support your local business's and buy local!

US Flag

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
            California
            United States
            Member #69399
            January 9, 2009
            380 Posts
            Posted: November 19, 2011, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

I saw that a few months back and found it very interesting. I thought it was great how the Dad built new homes for himself and his kids and set thim up in businesses. Then going back to Vietnam to help his extended family instead of blowing the money on "toys" like so many lottery winners end up doing.
            The story I found most interesting though was the one with the couple, Kristine and Steve, who won 110 million. The bought a big house and were living the country club lifestyle but were still very down to earth and grateful for the advantages the money gave them and their children. Even the kids (a teenage boy and girl) were very level-headed and appreciative of their new life.
            The really interesting part to me was how Kristine and Steve talked of how they had lost all their friends from their former life because they no longer had the commonality of worrying about money, bills and job security. They said it was the price of winning the lottery. Then a women who had been good friends with Kristine was interveiwd and said she couldn't stand the sight of her friend anymore beause she was so envious that Kristine had won the lottery. 
            A sad but very real commentary on how money changes people.

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
              Rochester
              United States
              Member #103282
              January 1, 2011
              606 Posts
              Posted: November 20, 2011, 7:07 am - IP Logged

Nino, so true.. Nice posting...I Agree!

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                British Columbia
                Canada
                Member #116101
                September 4, 2011
                4033 Posts
                Posted: November 20, 2011, 7:44 am - IP Logged

what year was this documentary?

thx Smile

"You have to be in it to win it!"

Miami, FLA
                  United States
                  Member #62793
                  July 9, 2008
                  680 Posts
                  Posted: November 21, 2011, 5:47 am - IP Logged

what year was this documentary?

thx Smile

2010. You can find it on Netflix or HBOGo

United States
                    Member #94616
                    July 24, 2010
                    4735 Posts
                    Posted: November 21, 2011, 5:50 am - IP Logged

I saw that a few months back and found it very interesting. I thought it was great how the Dad built new homes for himself and his kids and set thim up in businesses. Then going back to Vietnam to help his extended family instead of blowing the money on "toys" like so many lottery winners end up doing.
                    The story I found most interesting though was the one with the couple, Kristine and Steve, who won 110 million. The bought a big house and were living the country club lifestyle but were still very down to earth and grateful for the advantages the money gave them and their children. Even the kids (a teenage boy and girl) were very level-headed and appreciative of their new life.
                    The really interesting part to me was how Kristine and Steve talked of how they had lost all their friends from their former life because they no longer had the commonality of worrying about money, bills and job security. They said it was the price of winning the lottery. Then a women who had been good friends with Kristine was interveiwd and said she couldn't stand the sight of her friend anymore beause she was so envious that Kristine had won the lottery. 

Wow, interesting.  So in the end their friends (Kristine & Steve) where not really friends at all.  Its SO sad how SOOO many people put money in front of everything else. 

Miami, FLA
                      United States
                      Member #62793
                      July 9, 2008
                      680 Posts
                      Posted: November 21, 2011, 5:53 am - IP Logged

Janem,

In all the lottery shows I've seen that's first time someone has admitted to resenting their friend's good fortune. It's repugnant, but honest. They did the right thing by moving away from all those people. Sadly, we all have people like that in our lives, whether we know it or not.

Miami, FLA
                        United States
                        Member #62793
                        July 9, 2008
                        680 Posts
                        Posted: November 21, 2011, 5:55 am - IP Logged

Wow, interesting.  So in the end their friends (Kristine & Steve) where not really friends at all.  Its SO sad how SOOO many people put money in front of everything else. 

Yeah, and this couple was seething with jealousy and anger, too. It was hard to watch.

Miami, FLA
                          United States
                          Member #62793
                          July 9, 2008
                          680 Posts
                          Posted: November 21, 2011, 6:04 am - IP Logged

Quan Dao is for me the perfect lottery winner. He took his money and instead of flaunting or flushing it he invested in his family's future. Because of his good judgment the next 3 or 4 generations of his family will be taken care of, here and in Vietnam.

And despite all the hate from their friends, Kristine and Steve quietly help families with sick children pay their bills.

That right there is what it's about. If I have to see another Lottery show where some tool has gone out and purchased a fleet of cars or medieval swords I'm taking hostages!

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                            British Columbia
                            Canada
                            Member #116101
                            September 4, 2011
                            4033 Posts
                            Posted: November 21, 2011, 7:14 am - IP Logged

2010. You can find it on Netflix or HBOGo

To access HBO GO?, you must reside within the fifty states of the United States of America.

doh Confused

"You have to be in it to win it!"

Miami, FLA
                              United States
                              Member #62793
                              July 9, 2008
                              680 Posts
                              Posted: November 21, 2011, 8:45 am - IP Logged

To access HBO GO?, you must reside within the fifty states of the United States of America.

doh Confused

Bummer. How about video stores, they got those in B.C.?? LOL!